This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007

There's already a topic about overrated anime so why not have one about anime that didn't get the attention and praise it deserved? What anime do you think should be checked out or be given another series?

My choices are;

Outlaw Star (not completely unknown but nobody seems to talk about it)
Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (stuck with being forever compared to it's predecessor, still i didn't think it was a bad anime or anything)
Martian Successor Nadesico (another anime nobody really talks about anymore, i guess the film didn't help matters)

I'll try and think of some more.
Old 07-18-2007

Prince of Tennis. I love it but hardly anyone I know can get into it. I know it's huge (and I mean HUUUUUUUUGE) in Japan but in britain: Nothing.
Old 07-18-2007

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Nobody ever thinks twice about Konjiki no Gash Bell, mostly because the dub (Zatch Bell) was geared towards kids.
Old 07-18-2007

Angelic Layer never really got much attention compared to most other CLAMP titles, but it's a rarity in which the anime counterpart is an improvement over the original manga.
Old 07-18-2007

I've seen Prince of Tennis subbed and it's way better than the dubbed.
Old 07-18-2007

Case Closed, I got really into that show and then they cut it off the air :(
Old 07-18-2007

Samurai X (For some reason everyone thinks its another name for Rurouni Kenshin. ???)

Theres a bunch of shounen-ai ones I know as well; Loveless (It didn't make much sense as it went further into it, though), Descendants of Darkness (Yami no Matsuei), Sukisyo, Princess Princess.

Thats all I can think of.
Old 07-19-2007

Pretear. o.o;
FLCL.
Old 07-19-2007

Outlaw Star isn't underrated, it's held as one of the few great sci-fi works in anime. Neither is Samurai X, it's renowned to be a heart wrenching tale with beautiful animation. Nor is FLCL, it's one of the most famous anime of ALL TIME! Geezus people.

Princess Tutu, this show was under everyones radar because it looked so....bad? in every trailer for it, but watch the show and you'll see that it's an amazing piece of work.

Futakoi Alternative, not in americe and won't make it, but this show had an AMAZING mix of hilarious comedy and out there monters with some very depressing love relationship problems that cause me to spend hours just thinking about it.
Old 07-19-2007

Two more series that people have forgotten/never heard of.
Moldiver
Samurai Pizza Cats (first anime i ever saw before i even knew what anime or anything else was)
Old 07-19-2007

Monster.

An awesome anime with lots of twists that M.Night would be proud xD

No one i kno talks about it or even knows about it. My cousin says it freaks her out to much to watch but i dont think it's that scary. Anyway its a real mind fuck.
Old 07-19-2007

AHH! Samurai Pizza Cats, who ya gonna call when you want some pepparoni? Samurai Pizza Caaaaats. I loved that show, i have almost every episode taped from UPN oh so long ago. along with Street Sharks, Monster Rancher and Pioneer DBZ.

Monster is one fo the few shows I never started, so haven't watched it yet, I've been meaning too also.
Old 07-19-2007

Fighting Foodons. My god, it was amazingly bad. I want DVDs. =

StreetSharks ahahah.. I still have that on VHS.
Old 07-19-2007

Actually, the people at the AnimeNation forums are known to be big fans of Monster. I myself have read volume 1 of the manga and am eagerly waiting for the anime to get licensed.
Old 07-19-2007

SAMURAI PIZZA CATS
you ledgend
another one that remembers
that and Tekkno man
that was my upbrining
as for under rated anime?
Blue Sub No. 6
I personally know like 2 people that have even heard of it let alone watched all of it
Old 07-19-2007

I have seen Blue Sub No. 6 but i personally didn't like it, the story was just too slow for me. I do remember Tekkno Man and that was a cool show (and underrated). Another suggestion for an underrated anime would be Shinzo if anybody has seen it.
Old 07-19-2007

The Slayers, no one watches that show! D: *sob*
Fushigi Yugi
Nadesico
Super Gals!
Karo Kano
Haibane Renmei
Yakitate Japan!

:To name a few.
Old 07-19-2007

Quote:
I've seen Prince of Tennis subbed and it's way better than the dubbed.
People can say what they want about Naruto or Shaman King being the worst dub ever, I know for a fact the Prince of Tennis dub is the biggest butchering ever made!
Old 07-19-2007

OK again, Slayers is still heald as the number 1 fantasy anime out there..

@yellowpages

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!......ahhh.../sigh, the PoT dub is 189,035% better than that of the One Piece dub and double that for the Cardcaptors dub. Cardcaptors is still heald as one of the worst butcherings of anime of all time and is MUCH worse that PoT, PoT is an amazing job done by Viz, compared to One Piece or Cardcaptors. or Sailor moon or Naruto. PoT is a bad dub, but compared the to teh first I mentioned, it's an amazing piece of work.
Old 07-19-2007

Shinesman~!

an anime made to make fun of all the Power Ranger type shows... only lasted for two episodes...

but honestly, the English dub was leaps and bounds funnier than the Japanese (cultural difference i suppose)... i guess they kinda cut loose with it becuz it wasn't a popular series~! it was still good though!

and yes, BoBoBo as well!
Old 07-19-2007

Hell no. The english voice acting has no emotion whatsoever in PoT. One Piece is at least slightly over the top, as it should be, and I liked the cardcaptor dub although I was really young when I watched that so I didn't exactly care if the voices sucked.
Old 07-19-2007

How the heck can you say FLCL is underrated? What does it need to do, win an emmy? Oh wait, it can't even win an Emmy because it's an OAV. However, it's already won awards for "Best Comedy Series" and "Best Short Series" at the American Anime Awards in February and won 3rd place in Best Animation Film at the Fant-Asia Film Festival in 2003.

Anyways, the most underated series that I have ever come across was Battle Programmer Shirase. It was canceled after only 15 episodes (WHY?!?), and I only know a handful of people who have seen it. However, everyone that I know who has seen it, has enjoyed it tremendously, and it easily ranks in my top 5 favorite anime of all time.
Old 07-19-2007

Super GALS! is the perfect example of an underrated anime, IMO. It's so good, but i think it's the overly girly packaging that scares people away.
Old 07-19-2007

Did someone say "Princess Tutu"?

Because I think I heard someone say "Princess Tutu."

I swear that is the best shoujo-style anime I've seen in quite a while (and I grew up on dubs of Sailor Moon, which I fast grew out of). I thought Rue was a bit too much on the emo-side (I guess it's to be expected with a name like that?), but Fakir makes me cackle wickedly every time he comes on screen. At first I was a little put off, but I stuck with it, and I have to say that I wasn't disappointed. I liked the characterization, the animation was beautiful (especially Tutu's sequence on the last episode of Season 1; I fell in love with that dance), and the musical score rekindled the little bit in me that has a love for classical. I found myself occasionally picking out the names of songs I knew that I had played in band class once upon a time when I was a freshman in high school.

I'll admit, the storyline is a little old (shy / oddling female protagonist chosen to right the world, falls for the Prince, tries to save said Prince, is foiled by antagonist Princess and evil overlord, Love and Justice conquers all), but hey--it's specifically centered around a fairytale, and besides that, I personally feel it was the execution of the substance, not the substance itself, that made the show so near and dear to me. An old concept that is delivered well is still awesome in my book.
Old 07-20-2007

It has pleanty of emotion, everyone but Ryouma, and the dude with glasses has it. Only those two seem to have lost any pitch in their voice.
Old 07-20-2007

To be perfectly honest... their match is the only episode of the Dub I've watched fully ;-)
Old 07-20-2007

Wow
Old 07-20-2007

Legend of Labyrinth, and like roma042604, Shinesman. Definitely.
And Princess Tutu is a lot more epic than it does not seem.
Old 07-24-2007

Blurb: Gyabo!

Easily on my list of animes that might have been missed or not played to as big of fanfare:

Yakitate Japan! - Yes the show on bread!
Noir - Part 1 of 3 of Beetrain's trilogy of gals with guns. El Cazador de la Bruja is currently playing and Madlax is the middle series.
R.O.D. TV and the OVA- An awesome series on the paper/book lovers. Go Yomiko!
Parallel Universe Duel - A mecha series that interestingly shared some of the drawing cast of Tenchi Muyo and the story writers of El-Hazard.
Battle Athletes - One of the earlier sports animes.
Sorcerer Hunters - Awesome ecchi and humourous action and fun. Cinnamon is one of my all time favs from this series!

Give them all a look!
Old 07-25-2007

Guyver
3x3 eyes
Sci-Fi Harry