This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2009

Default Birth Control (Women Only)

I thought it would be nice to have a forum discussing birth control. Not about whether sex or abortion are good or bad, but birth control as it relates to female health. Women have many options to choose from and it can be a very confusing topic. Does anyone have a personal preference for one over the other? Does anyone believe that it shouldn't be used at all? Is anyone concerned about side effects?

I for one have trouble with those pills that came out that promise one period a year. It just seems unnatural. But that's my opinion.

Again, I want this to be an educational tool. And I made this women only because I don't want a debate in here, this is for women to express their experiences and concerns as it relates to the female body. Not for snarky comments or "I wish my girlfriend would use blah blah blah..."
Old 05-17-2009

well im on the pill and its great, although if u want to miss your periods all you do is continue taking it every single day of the month but its not very healthy to do that :)
Old 05-17-2009
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

Ring/ Condom combo right here.
Old 05-18-2009

I've heard the ring to be very hit or miss. Women either really love it or really hate it. And you have to be really comfortable with your body to put it in and out. But you've already had a baby so that little ring must seem like nothing. :)

Anyways, here are some side effects associated with hormone treatments.

Common Side Effects for Combination Contraceptives
o Weight gain
o Increase or decrease in acne
o Nausea and vomiting (particularly for the first few cycles)
o Dizziness
o Headaches
o Depression
o Vaginal infections
o High blood pressure
o Loss of libido
Less Common Serious Health Complications
o Blood clots in legs, lungs, heart or brain
o Stroke
o Liver tumors (rare)
o Heart attacks
o Gallstones (rare)
o Jaundice (rare)
o Possibly cervical cancer
Common Side Effects for Progestin Only Contraceptives
o Spotting and irregular vaginal bleeding
o Longer periods
o Amenorrhea for extend periods
o Headaches
o Anxiety and nervousness
o Pain in lower abdominals
o Dizziness
o Loss of libido
o Depression
o Increase or decrease in acne
o Skin rash or darkened patches of skin
o Appetite changes
o Weight gain
o Tender breasts
o Increase or decrease in facial and body hair
o Possibly hair loss
o Vaginal discharge
o Bone density loss
o Enlarged ovarian follicles
o Pain or itching (usually for a brief period of time)
o Norplant users: infection at the site of implantation
Less Common Serious Health Complications
o Ectopic pregnancy
o Certain cancers

Source.

Anyone had any of these?
Old 05-18-2009

Blurb: Mmm, fingers.
Marshmallow

How about....ABSTINANCE!!

I kid. I dunno about any of this stuff, so....meh. :/
Old 05-18-2009

Blurb: Kroze's Convention Chauffeur
Send a message via AIM to Shae

Hey, abstinence is a form of birth control; the only one that works 100% all the time. ;)
The pills have always kind of freaked me out with all their side effects. I have an aunt who was taking a pill, she was very active and healthy, but she had a stroke. It was linked back to the birth control. @_@
Old 05-18-2009

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

There was a girl I worked with a few years ago on the patch that ended up with blood clots. She had some pains and went to the doctor a day later. She was tolde to discontinue and had to undergo treatment for the clots as they almost reached her heart.

I've debated for years trying the pill but to me the side effects are just not worth it.
Old 05-18-2009

I've heard that the patch is more dangerous than the pill.
Old 05-18-2009

Location: Being a cute chibi godzilla molesting all the mecagodzillas.
Blurb: beautiful owl. <3
Send a message via AIM to loveistears Send a message via MSN to loveistears Send a message via Yahoo to loveistears

I beleive every women should be able to have some form of birth control available to them, for free. Cause what happens if you're raped? Yeah, there is the morning after pill but I know a lot of people who don't want to do that. I wanna be on birth control really badly. I hate not being on it. Yeah, there are some problems to it like being allergic to the glue with the patch, and weight loss/gain but it's worth it.
Old 05-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveistears View Post
I beleive every women should be able to have some form of birth control available to them, for free. Cause what happens if you're raped?
I'm not really sure if that's a good reason to be on the pill. :( And even if you are raped, you won't get pregnant but you could still get a terrible STD like AIDS. Maybe you mean abortive mechanisms?
Old 05-18-2009
Closet Trekkie

How about a needle and Thread? (to sew female knees together)

In the past,
I've used Condoms, the Pill, and now the ring.
I'm comfortable with the ring, and don't even feel it.
I want to try the Depo shot, but a side effect of the shot can be Depression, being Bipolar, that's not necesarily a good idea.
Old 05-18-2009

Send a message via AIM to loveistears Send a message via MSN to loveistears Send a message via Yahoo to loveistears

You can get pregnet from being raped. As long as you have sexual intercorse you can.
Old 05-18-2009

lolz. I'm bipolar too so I know how u feel
Old 05-18-2009
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
You can get pregnet from being raped. As long as you have sexual intercorse you can.
Depends what part of your cycle the rape occcurs, but yes.

If you get to a Doctor or Hospital right away, within 72 hours after the rape, you can start the hunt for the criminal that raped you and get a really strong Birth Control pill that is 60% effective in preventing pregnancy.

It can be known as the "Morning After Pill"
Old 05-18-2009

Quote:
I meant that even if you were on the pill when you were raped it wouldn't help against STDs.
Old 05-18-2009
The Foreskin Queen Deserving of a rest

Blurb: <3<3<3 Rebbie
Send a message via MSN to TPishek

Well, no, the only form of birth control that protects against STDs at all is condoms.
Old 05-18-2009

oh well ya nothing really does. some things help a little but not 100 percent.

gcar- yeah which makes sence because who would want a rape child. I know thats bad to say but everytime you look at it you'll be reminded of it.
Old 05-18-2009

My view that will be shared by few, and so is somewhat pointless to post; don't have sex. Or Natural Family Planning, actually. It's really accurate, and married couples that use it have a 2% divorce rate.
Old 05-18-2009
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
gcar- yeah which makes sence because who would want a rape child. I know thats bad to say but everytime you look at it you'll be reminded of it.
Ever watch Law & Order: SVU? the girl detective, Olivia was a child of Rape.
Old 05-19-2009

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan

Quote:
I beleive every women should be able to have some form of birth control available to them, for free. Cause what happens if you're raped? Yeah, there is the morning after pill but I know a lot of people who don't want to do that. I wanna be on birth control really badly. I hate not being on it. Yeah, there are some problems to it like being allergic to the glue with the patch, and weight loss/gain but it's worth it.
it is free in this country, if you really cannot afford it
the sexual health centre hands free contraception and morning after pills out
but i do not know of such things cuz i am still planning to wait until i is married
Old 05-19-2009

In the US there are clinics where you can get condoms and morning after pills for free I believe. But with chemical birth control you're on your own. But it's only about 15USD per month with a good insurance plan.
Old 05-19-2009

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPishek View Post
Well, no, the only form of birth control that protects against STDs at all is condoms.
Sorry but NOTHING protects from STDs at all.
Old 05-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystra View Post
Sorry but NOTHING protects from STDs at all.
Yeah. So about the rape thing, you're better staying vigilant and trying to prevent it from happening in the first place. I don't think that there are any rape victims out there who think, "Thank God I was on the pill when this happened." And some people do raise the resulting children and love them. Or give them up for adoption.
Old 05-19-2009
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
it is free in this country, if you really cannot afford it
the sexual health centre hands free contraception and morning after pills out
but i do not know of such things cuz i am still planning to wait until i is married
Go to any public health clinic and you can receive FREE condoms.
In some places you can also get Birth control pills, but you would need an exam and a preliminary Pregancy test to make SURE you AREN'T pregnant.

That's how I found out about Mi Angelita.
Old 05-23-2009

In case there's any other pro-life people in this forum, this is a fantastic article about the birth control pill and its abortifacient effects. Even if you're not pro-life, part one does a great job of explaining how the pill works in easy to understand terms.

Does the Birth Control Pill Cause Abortions?
Old 06-04-2009

Blurb: ALL FEAR THE CHAMPION OF CUTE~~!

thanks ryou...i feel very informed now. I never knew that was how the pill work

[ even if I not planning on having sex for a long time ]
Old 06-04-2009

Aww, thanks. :) I'm glad someone got some use out of the article. Doctors sometimes aren't very forthcoming about how birth control works or possible side effects so it's important to investigate thoroughly, keeping in mind biases from different sources. Even if you won't be needing it for a while it's always better to have a plan prepared (or at least have your choices narrowed down) so you don't get overwhelmed when the time comes to choose.
Old 06-04-2009
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Being Catholic, I don't see a reason for me to really need birth control if/when I have sex.

I took a Biology class last year and my professor would say, in order to avoid getting HIV, "Always wear a condom! Because every person you had sex with is going to be present with whoever you're having sex with now, and vice-versa. Know your partner's history." He meant in spreading germs, of course. So he didn't even say, "Wear a condom!" in terms of actual birth control, but rather as a way to decrease your chances of getting HIV.

To my surprise, towards the end of the semester when we were talking about the female reproductive system, he encouraged us to use the rhythm method (or Natural Family Planning, as Catholics like to call it) after we're clear that your partner either hasn't had sex with anyone before or your partner got tested for STDs and none came up. He essentially said that if a woman takes her temperature everyday for 9 months and is healthy enough for regular periods and you mark your dates on your calendar, you're guaranteed to know exactly when you should/shouldn't have sex. Plus, you can also use this method if you WANT to get pregnant. Unlike other forms of birth control, you can use this to help determine when to have sex so that you can have a baby, while the other ones are for purely avoiding pregnancies.

It's something that isn't really taught all that well, even in anti-contraception classes or whatever.
Old 06-04-2009

Well SallyBakura, birth control doesnt help prevent HIV and all that. JUST pregnecy, so when taking it you should still always wear a condom. But like you said, your catholic so your not having sex untill your married, correct? So birth control may not be needed if your wanting a child at that time with your spouse.

I'm on birth control right now. Origionally it was because my (now ex) bf was going to visit but theres a HUGE long story with that, but he didnt come up so...I really never needed them. My mom and I have decided to keep me on the pill though because it helps regulate my period. I'm on another pill for anti-depressence and I get a lot worse during my period, so now I know when to expect when Im going to be worse and aviod certin things. I'm not currentlly dating so, no, im not sexually active which I do feel kind of bad for still being on the pill.
Old 06-05-2009
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiya View Post
Well SallyBakura, birth control doesnt help prevent HIV and all that. JUST pregnecy, so when taking it you should still always wear a condom.
I know that. Condoms, while designed to prevent pregnancy, also happen to decrease the chances of getting HIV. It's the only contraception that does that, I believe.