This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007

River God and Warlock by Wilbur Smith. Great reads.

Who else wants to recommend a book?
Old 07-16-2007

Well if you like music (preferably of the 60s) I would check out "No one here gets out alive" . Its a book based on the life of Jim Morrison. And if you like Afghanistan (lol) you'll like "The Kite Runner". Great book. Sad but great.
Old 07-16-2007

I'd definitely be interested in The Kite Runner. I'm half Afghan. *adds to list*

Give us your suggestions! Don't be shy.
Old 07-16-2007

Titus Groan and Gormenghast, if you like dark twisty-ish fantasy. I wouldn't bother with Titus Alone, though, Peake was *very* crazy when he wrote that one.

Oh, and the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper is beautiful magical arthurian fantasy, especially good if you're familiar with England. Much better than His Dark Materials.
Old 07-16-2007

I really love the dark tower series by Stephen King although I'm only on number 4.
Old 07-16-2007

If you like halo try the halo books
Old 07-16-2007

I recommend The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri.
Old 07-16-2007

Othello by William Shakespeare... if it wasn't already forced down your throat in high school. Gotta love the classics.
Old 07-16-2007

I Am Legend - read it before Will Smith ruins it
Old 07-16-2007

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is one of my favourite classics, although not a lot of my friends and schoolmates like it.
Old 07-16-2007

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Great book. Of course the movie fiddled with it.
Old 07-16-2007

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. I read it a few months ago. Everyone at school thought I was crazy. Out of all the classics I've read, HoND was my favorite.
Old 07-16-2007

I wanted to read Les Miserables after I saw the musical in my school, but the book was like five inches thick with infinitesimal words. I've never read 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', but if it's as thick as Les Miserables, then I would think you were crazy too.
Old 07-16-2007

The Ender series and the Shadow series by Orson Scott Card are pretty awesome.

Life of Pi is pretty neat too, a very unique plot with quite a lot of subtext.
Old 07-16-2007

I plan on reading Les Miserables after I read the 7th Harry Potter book. I've never seen the musical, but I heard it was amazing.
Old 07-16-2007

Lord of the Flies... if just for the hell of it. It's a weird book.

[s]Shota luv.[/s]
Old 07-16-2007

I've also been planning on reading that.
Old 07-16-2007

Oh my God, Ender's Game!! I've never read the rest of the series, because I've heard that the other books are not as good as the first one. I'm not a sci-fi fan--I wouldn't have considered picking that book up if it wasn't for my friend's constant pleadings--and I'm in love with Ender's Game. Read it peoplez!!

@mydecember723: unlucky you. The musical was awesome XD it has very memorable songs. I've only seen it once and I still remember all the songs :)

@hemntjrseth: whew! Your name is hard to type x.x I didn't like Lord of the Flies. I liked how LK mentioned it along with Lord of the Rings in Episode 4 in the abridged series xD
Old 07-16-2007

I liked it for the weirdness... but just that...and because my friend and I enjoy making fun of it. LOTF is great to make fun of.

About my name... it's quiet simple actually... Hem Ntjr Seth=High Priest Seth...AE Seth. Yes, that Seth/Priest Seto. :D I love your choice of name. The lotus is one my favorite flowers.
Old 07-16-2007

Most things by Neil Gaiman are awesome - I recommend Good Omens (co-written by Terry Pratchett) if you're a fan of the apocalypse. (Premise: "oh noez, we lost the Anti-Christ!"), or maybe Anansi Boys if you want to figure out how "a real author" would handle the fan-fiction problem of "giving the Yami his own body."

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is a really good mind-trip book - I made one of my friends read that in high school, and after a hundred pages she started getting freaked out by rainclouds. We live in western Washington.
Old 07-16-2007

Perhaps I'm being abit kiddish here, but I would suggest Alice in wonderland and Alice's adventures through the looking glass and what she found there. it's extremely fun and it blows your mind to imagine so many different things in only a few sentances.

Also, the storyline is much deeper and gives you and idea as to who Alice was and stuff.
Old 07-16-2007

I second Lord of the Flies. I had to read it for English in 10th grade and I loved it. [s]Probably because I kept slashing the characters together in my head XD.[/s]

Anyways, I really enjoyed The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare. My favorite line from there is: "Oh judgement! Thou are fled to brutish beasts, and men have lost their reason!" Though, it's probably my fascination with the Ancient Romans and Greeks that caused me to like it.
Old 07-16-2007

Twilight-Stephenie Meyer
Nightwatch-Sergei Lukyaneko
Already Dead-Charlie Huston
Sphere-Michael Crichton
It-Stephen King
The Alchemist -Paulo Coelho

All of those were very good reads.
Old 07-16-2007

Heros Die by Matthew Stover and if you love Star Wars he also wrote the Revenge fo the Sith book, SOOO much better than the movie. Stover writes with emotion like it's poetry but with a viceral and violent edge that's tells exactly how a person is being torn part.

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes anything. Her fantasy novels are just amazing especially for how young she is.

But if you are looking for a less fantastical story Tim O'Briens The Things They Carried is great. A Vietnam story that is an amazing look at soldiers in a war time and after.
Old 07-17-2007

Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman. Two fantastic authors. Good books from them would be 'The Truth' and 'American Gods' respectively.

If you need any confirmation on their brilliance check my terry Pratchett thread for praise.
Heads up to Good Omens, written by both of them too. It's already been mentioned here but deserves another round of recognition.
Old 07-17-2007

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk
Post Office - Charles Bukowski
White Noise - Don DeLillo
Flags of our Fathers - James Bradley (you either love it or hate it.)
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Balling the Jack - Frank Baldwin

I don't have any fantasy-like books to suggest, not into that. Or books that I had to read back in high school e.g.: Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Tortilla Curtain....
Old 07-17-2007

I second the power of the dark tower
Old 07-17-2007

The Book of Lost Things--John Connolly. If anyone likes Pan's Labyrinth, this is the book you should read.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--Susanna Clarke
American Gods--Neil Gaiman

And my favorite book that I had to read in school--Of Mice and Men.
Old 07-17-2007
General Staff

Skulduggery Pleasant dammit.
Old 07-17-2007

I think all of you should pick up the first book of the Wheel of Times Series. If you enjoyed Lord of the Rings, then you'll enjoy those books. =o