This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007

Card's Ender/Bean series was great.

Wheel of Time started out amazing... then seemed to die at book 6 or 7ish. However, the latest book was great (Knife of Dreams), and there is only one more to go!

Anything by David Eddings is good. He mainly does fantasy, but he has 20+ books and numerous series published to keep you busy.

I also have to strongly, strongly reccomend A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. Only four books are out thus far, but they are all epic on a scale that even excededs even Tolkein. It stands alone in that there are litterally hundreds of characters deeply described, none of which have an immunity from death (including main characters).
Old 07-17-2007

[s]You know, there is creepy LOTF fanfiction on ff.net The horror.[/s]
Old 07-17-2007

I liked The Immortals by Tamara Pierce. If you like fantasy told through the eyes of a teenage girl then this is the series for you.

Witch Child and Sorceress were really good too. I can't remember the author... it might have been Tamara Pierce.
Old 07-17-2007

[s]I probably read all of the LOTF fanfiction on ff.net. XP[/s]
Old 07-17-2007

[s]omg[/s]

Anne of Green Gables... made of pure win. [s]Watch the funky 70s anime if you get a chance.[/s]
Old 07-17-2007

[s]kukuku...I've read a lot of things on ff.net ranging from amusing to disturbing to cute. I'm not really fazed by creepy fics anymore. My one friend told me that she found a fanfic with Dumbledore/Hagrid once. O.O[/s]

I recommend reading anything by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Mark Twain, and John Stenibeck. Especially Emerson for those that like philosophy.
Old 07-17-2007

[s]O_O People and their bizarre OTPs.[/s]

I love Emerson. His writing is powerful and it really makes you think.
Old 07-17-2007

I second They Things They Carried. A good companion to that is The Sorrows of War, written by an ex-Viet Cong. I think it was banned in Vietnam for a while and has only recently been translated.
Old 07-17-2007

Controversial books ftw.
Old 07-17-2007

A personal favorite of mine is Cyrano de Bergerac. I like it more than Romeo & Juliet, though ironically I can quote more of it than I can with Cyrano.
Old 07-17-2007

It's not surprising to me. My English teacher told me that all the books we had to read this year were banned somewhere and that they were all controversial. Like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
Old 07-17-2007

Chances are, if it's a famous novel, it's probably controversial in some way and banned somewhere.
Old 07-17-2007

The Bartimaeus trilogy! AU London, magicians, hilarious demons, and all the obscure medieval philosophers you can be bothered to research.
Old 07-17-2007

Terry Pratchett- I've litterally fallen out of my chair reading his stuff, great satire and occasionally some deep messages,
Neil Gaiman - he's just brilliant, funny in a darker context,
Holly Black - for crazy-evil-old world dark magic in a thoroughly modern context
The Orphans Of Chaos Series - It was good.
Peter Pan - Go on, reread the actual book. Indulge in childish pleasures. For all the joyful disney-musicalness of the movie, I think the book is (and you're going laugh here) one of the greatest tragic romances ever. It mad me so, so sad . . . . TT_TT

I think that controversal/banned doesn't always equal good. I don't like the banning of books, to be sure, and lots of really good books have been banned, and I fully resent that. Then again, I'm sure the Gossip Girl novels have been banned in thousands of places/schools, and that doesn't make them dangerously controversal or great novels. In my opinion, they're rather the oposite. They just have lots of sexual references in them.
Old 07-17-2007

What do you think of the sequel to Peter Pan? I thought it was good, but a different story really - progressing the characters after the (nearly) clear cut ending of the first is almost like published, approved fanfiction.

Oh, and agree on the romance part. But Peter is such a selfish person - could never see that HE would have to change for Wendy to stay. Of course changing = growing up, and he would never do that.
Old 07-17-2007

Which sequel? I've seen quite a few plays on it. Unless the original author (Ohhhhhhh what was his name?) wrote it, I can't see it as anything more than a higher original form of fanfiction. I have seen quite a few good plays on the theme.
Quote:
Oh, and agree on the romance part. But Peter is such a selfish person - could never see that HE would have to change for Wendy to stay. Of course changing = growing up, and he would never do that.
Oh, of course. But I think, that if he did change/grow up, that would possible make him less dear to wendy/all the other women in the series. It's like Ms. Darling's kiss. He is youth, he's said to be the spirit that guides dead children up to heaven. If he changed, I think he'd be nothing more than an ordinary boy, and that's not what the book is about.
Yeah so . . . pretty much I agree with you! ^_____^
Old 07-17-2007

Peter Pan in Scarlet was quite recently written by Geraldine McCaughrean, so that when the copyright runs out Ormond Street Hospital still get money from it (shared copyright with the author). It takes the children back to Neverland to save it from dying, and mixes in having to grow up, the Lost children, and the Great War going on at that time really well.

And Peter's also a really powerful young boy, which would probably make him a lot more unlikeable in the real world - he'd expect it to revolve around him, like Neverland does.
Old 07-17-2007

Recommending a book really depends on your tastes, so I don't know if these would be any good to you but....

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of recommending the Wheel of Time series. But only pick it up if you have a freakishly large amount of time on your hands. Also, you'll have to be kinda determined, or stubborn as I like to put it, to finish the series as every now and then it drags on. Like, for instance, I absolutely loved the third book, and reading the fourth book took almost three times as long because I felt like I had to work my way through it. And though I seem to be warning you away from it while I'm recommending it, it is a very good read if you're interested.

Also: World War Z by Max Brooks. It follows The Zombie Survival Guide, and I read them in order but I don't really feel that you have to. It's written as an "oral documentary of the zombie war," and I enjoyed it, but then, only a few of my friends did too.

But if you're looking for a more comedic story, I recommend anything by Dave Barry. I love this man, and his stories never cease to make me at the very least chuckle through the whole story.

And I adore the book "Not Exactly the Three Musketeers" by Joel Rosenberg. Now, it's another series book, the eighth one in fact, but I didn't know that when I picked it up and enjoyed it none the less.

I don't know if any of that actually helps, but I just wanted to put my two bits in.
Old 07-17-2007

The Thorn Birds... Its so wonderful, believe me.
But you have to have some time on your hands because sometimes its hard to imagine what they're saying. If you've seen the miniseries, then that definately helps you. But that book really sucked me in and is now my favorite.
Old 07-17-2007

Dune, The first 4 books in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (the last one sucks), and 1984
Old 07-17-2007

Blindness, by Jose Saramago. Be warned of extremely graphic and disturbing scenes. It is definitely worth the read, though. Only book I was able to tolerate in shcool.
Old 07-17-2007

Wow.. books <3
Lately I've been reading a lot of manga and not much else but I do have a few favorites from before my manga craze ;D

White Oleander - Janet Fitch.
..I know, it got made into a movie. But honestly.. the movie may have been good but it is NOTHING compared to the book. I read the book before the movie came out (which means I was like, I duno.. 13 or something when I read it, it was a LONG time ago) and I loved it. ...so..read it. Seriously. Mkay. Good.
Also, if you're into fantasy then you absolutey must read The Hunter's Blades Trilogy by R.A.Salvatore. Drizzt is my hero, hands down. He's one smexy Drow Elf. <3
Hmm.. well.. I've read a ton of books. Depending on what type of book you're into, I could most likely tell you my favorite from each genre. I think I spent the majority of my high school years reading. Sad, huh?
Wellll, that's it for me :D
-Midori-
Old 07-18-2007

Two quick recommendations:

"Mister God, this is Anna" by Finn (Maybe the most people will know this book. It´s really sad...)

"The Swarm" by Frank Schätzing (Techno-thriller)
Maybe the story of "The Swarm" sounds a little dry and boring at first, but it´s very well written and the environment topic is framed by an elaborate story and well-thought-out characters. When I first heard about the book, I didn´t want to read it, because I thought that a book with about 1000 pages which focuses on an environmental disaster, wouldn´t be so interesting. But when I read the first pages by chance, I was immidiately riveted by the book. So, give it a try ;)
Old 07-18-2007

All of RA salvatores forgotten realms books, as well as Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Dragon Realms books ( they are joint authors)
Old 07-18-2007

If you're into a Modern Mystery Fantasy, check out The Dresdan Files. Great books that revolve around the only wizard detective in Chicago who goes around hunting Spirits, Demons, Faries, and anything else mortals are not supposed to know about. I'm not the best at description in my opinion, so check it out for yourself to see if you like. : )
Old 07-18-2007

Send a message via AIM to jh4e Send a message via MSN to jh4e

Let's see...what have I read lately...
I'm still on this, but...
Nora Roberts - but this is ONLY if you don't get squeemish - her circle trilogy: (it's about vampires, humans and saving the world)

Circle Trilogy

Morrigan's Cross (September 2006)

Dance of the Gods (October 2006)

Valley of Silence (November 2006)

Then her "In The Garden" Trilogy:

Blue Dahlia (2004)
Black Rose (2005)
Red Lily (2005)

And anything by Jennifer Weiner! ^_^ She's only got 4 books out right now and I own all of them except for her last one, which was "Goodnight Nobody"

1. Good In Bed (don't let the title fool you; it's NOT what you think)
2. Little Earthquakes
3. In Her Shoes

Other than that....mrehhhh....can't think of anything b/c most everything else I like is some form of Historical Romance LOL XD

Oh! Well he no longer writes, but if you can, look up anything by this author: Eric Lustbader I had all of his books - I donated all of my old books to the library ^^;;;

1. The Ninja
2. The White Ninja
3. The Miko
4. Sirens
5. Jian
6. Second Skin
7. Shan
8. Black Blade
9. French Kiss
10. Kaisho
11. Floating City

You'll want to especially deal with the ones that have "Nicolas Linnear" in them as he's seems to be a model for any of the ones in which he crosses American and Japanese cultures. It's a very interesting twist, but be wary as he does do a lot of historical flashbacks and character flashbacks too, which may throw you off if you don't pay careful attention to it. He's an awesome writer. The one's I have bolded are the ones I owned.

The only thing, be careful when you're searching for him because there's also a "Eric Von Lustbader" which I don't think is him...*looks again* never mind, I'm wrong. Sorry ^^
Old 07-18-2007

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do own that book. Both my boss at work and I do XD
Old 07-18-2007

I saw the movie for "White Oleander" - wasn't quite sure what to think of it except one word - TWISTED!

Oh! Did anyone read "The Devil Wears Prada" BEFORE they saw the movie? I read about half of the book before the movie came out. They did a pretty good job with it I'd say. I was just telling my cousin about it the other day because she was talking about the movie and I recommended her going back and reading the book.
Old 07-18-2007

Oh! One more suggestion, if no one thinks me too childish in recommending these series

The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants.

I saw the first movie. It was mildly entertaining and there's FOUR books out, which I plan on buying. I did this though and this is something I always do when I think a book might be interesting - I will be in the store and I'll at least read either the first or the first two chapters before making a decision.
Old 07-18-2007

I would suggest (if you like fantasy at all...Lord of the Rings type stuff...) that you read Beyond the Summerland, Bringer of Storms, Shadow in the Deep, and Father of Dragons...all by L.B. Graham. They're pretty darn good in my opinion...though you can definitely tell where he borrowed some stuff from Tolkien and C.S. Lewis...