This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Technical
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2008

Blurb: ZOMGLOLWTFBBQ

I like computers and I have built a few, and I wanted to know if anyone else has.

If, so, what are you running?
Old 12-06-2008

Blurb: "Oh yeah, WillPhanto1, he's a trippy dude." -Andrew Soto
Send a message via MSN to WillPhanto1

I built one computer in a class. Although part of the course was learning how to put an OS on it, and we put windows NT on it, probably because it was the only OS they could give us. And NT was complete crap, so I only used it for writing. I currently run a Dell E521, with a AMD 62 Athlon X2, with a 288gb hard drive (after OS and recovery space), 2 GB ram, and it came with a Nvidia 6600ce video card on board, but I put an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT in it (And I just dig how the 8600gt has it's own cooling fan on it .)
If you rated computers by how they play games, I play Gears of War on it, and it runs nice a smoothly.
It came with windows Vista, and I haven't had a problem with it. Only problem I really have with it, is that it won't run Sonic CD (just like XP wouldn't) and Wordperfect 9 kept crushing and couldn't back-up save. Although when I got WordPerfect X3, it resolved the problem with 9, but I have X3 so I don't use 9 anymore.
If I had the money, I would so built an l337 Largo type computer with Linux, but my Dell works just fine for me.
Old 12-06-2008

If you're going to build a extreme computer, you'd probably want to dual boot Vista and Linux, but that's just what I'd do. I recently built my computer, which runs 2 Nvidia GTX 280's as the video processor, and it is AMAZING. This thing ate Crysis like an M&M. The thing also has 8 gigs ram, a 2000 watt power suply, 2 300 gig Raptors in raid zero as the primary drive with vista on it, and 4 1TB hard drives for holding crap. Two DVD burning drives, A creative Fatal1ty sound card and an ASUS Striker two extreme also included. To top it all off, I got an Intel Q9650 cpu overclocked to 3.6 GHZ and is watercooled. I built this not to long ago, and I am fixing the thing now because the pump in the water cooling failed. My little brother was impressed with the performance of my computer and wants to build his own computer with me, I did all the math and I could get him a laptop and a kick ass desktop for a little less than the laptop that my mom wants to get him. Dear god, DON'T GET HIM A DELL.
Old 12-06-2008

Dell doesn't make too bad of a machine, sure they're nothing compared to what you just described your machine being. But they're pretty solid and dependable as long you don't any stupid with them software wise. But you seriously overclocked your CPU? How much GHZ did it have before you overclocked it?
Old 12-06-2008

Dell makes a good machine, but I think they should stay out of the process more, and not use their custom make power supplies and motherboards. Yes, there solid and my laptop is a 3 year old dell and it runs fine, but I wanted a machine that I could easily repair and overclock without losing any kind of warranty. Yea, I overclocked my CPU from 3 GHZ to 3.6 GHZ and the FSB from 1333 to 1800 MHZ.
Old 12-07-2008

Jeebs, you have way to much money, to me a rig like that would be pretty pointless as to be honest Crysis isn't good enough to warrent spending money like that on it. I'm using a pretty standard rig with an 8800GTX, Q6600 cooled with a Zalman 9700led, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, Hiper 580 watt psu, Abit AB9, 2GB ram which will be upgraded when i can be bothered, 200GB/500GB/1TB HDDs in a Coolermaster CM 690. I run just Vista because that's all I need and that's about all that needs to be said i suuppooose. yip yap yop!
Old 12-07-2008

Not that bad, how much did you pay for all that and where did you get the 8800 GTX? I can't find any.
Old 12-08-2008

cost me around £500 overall i believe, i bought the 8800GTX, Q6600 and 9700led second hand from someone on a the ocn forums for very reasonable prices which is why i didn't have to spend much.
Old 12-08-2008

Not bad for that system, did you ever try to overclock?
Old 12-08-2008

Personally, I wouldn't overclock my processors. Back in the day, you got an hell of a jump when you overclocked, like by 600 mhz, which was a lot back then. But now with processors in the gigahertz, and overclocking only making similar jumps by the mhz, it's a little excessive now. What with it being so hard to keep the processors cool. Personally, I rather spend the time I could take overclocking and maintaining the overclocked processor, to make money so I could just buy a better computer. But that's just me. I might dig my old computer out and overclock it just to see what would happen.
Old 12-08-2008

Overclocking isn't that hard and I think that your cooler can take a bit of heat, so long as it isn't dead and the fans work. Just play around in the BIOS.
Old 12-09-2008
General Staff

Blurb: The one, the only, the Dix.

My currently base spec FX-7811 Gateway gaming notebook. I plan on upgrading my HDD's with a SATA configuration... theres an extra bay inside the laptop for another notebook HDD. I also may upgrade the CPU eventually.
Old 12-09-2008

Quote:
I plan on upgrading my HDD's with a SATA configuration
Do you mean RAID?
Old 12-10-2008

Nah, no point and my Q6600 model is noterious for being a bad clocker anyhoo.
Old 12-10-2008

Really?
Old 12-11-2008

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

I've built very basic PCs before but that's about it. All I know how to do personally is upgrading the RAM and Hard drive. I plan to build my own gaming rig but I'm still torn as to what OS I should use. I want to be able to use Steam to play all of my games on.
Old 12-11-2008

Yop. That's why the original owner no longer wanted it.
Old 12-12-2008

If you want tomake your life easy for games, just use vista.
Old 12-13-2008

XP or Vista to be honest, they are pretty much the same. Vista is more ram hungry and has more wankery but that's about it.
Old 12-15-2008

But vista has Direct X 10 and more game support.

Anyone heard anything about the new GTX260 core 216?
Old 12-16-2008

Just now, looks cool, but I don't think it would even fit on my dell, my 8600GT barely fits in it. I would have to wait until I can buy a box and motherboard before I can get one of those.
Quote:
Vista is more ram hungry and has more wankery but that's about it.
If you know a little bit of OS-es, you can get it to work for you. Really with Vista, you just need to keep an eye on your processes, and take the time to re-configure the settings. Really, as long as you have at least 2gb of ram, and a big internal hard drive, you'll be find with vista. Like I said somewhere before, I use Vista, and I don't have any problems with it. You just need to show it who's boss.
Old 12-16-2008
Administrator

Why would you need a big internal hard drive just for Vista?
Honestly, its to the point right now where no one should be running anything off their same drive as their OS...
Old 12-16-2008

You don't, 20 GB isn't that much anymore.
Old 12-16-2008

I was talking about people who use smaller computers, with 40 to 100 GB hard drives. Vista on my hard drive takes up around 10gb at the moment. But with over 250gb of space, that's just a drop in the bucket. So if your computer has a smaller hard drive, that might seem like alot to some. Although to others that isn't too bad. Heck, my personal user files and program files take up over 90GB. What's an extra 10 GB now?
Old 12-17-2008

Why would you use Vista on a Shitputer?
Old 12-17-2008

My cousin does on her laptop, I think it came with laptop. At thanksgiving, we were trying to get it to run properly so we could talk to my cousin in Korea. And part of the problem was that her processor had too much to work with, and her she didn't have enough memory. And I've heard other people having similar problems with smaller cheaper computers. Some manufactures just go ahead and put vista on their cheap-end models (probably for marketing purposes), even though the systems can't really handle it when they get a heavy work loads, or the hard drive gets filled up.
Old 12-18-2008

It's not the hard drive that can't handle vista though, it's the pentium processor and 1 Gb of Ram.
Old 12-18-2008

Yeah, but fragmentation does make it harder, or so I'm told. But you got a a point about those Intel Pentium processor, all speed and no left. AMD makes a better product, more efficient then the Pentiums.
Old 12-18-2008

I'm currently running a PC I made.

Fragmentation means nothing on NTFS WillPanto, upgrade that piece of crap. AMD are crap, but are better than Pentiums. Core 2 CPUs however kick the crap out of AMD.

I currently have...

E4400, 2GHz stock, currently @ 3GHz (300x10) 1.375vcore. Cooled with a Zalman CNPS9700-LED.
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 flashed to F10, F11 wouldn't save my FSB
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 (6-6-6-18 at the moment, lax timings are fine for Core 2)
512MB Palit 9800GTX+, rarely used but when it does it runs everything
Corsair VX450W, 80+ efficiency
Antec Nine Hundred
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, not great but okay
120GB Maxtor OS drive, pretty slow
160GB Hitachi for storage
HP w2207h 22", 1680x1050, 5ms
Vista x64 Home Premium

Logitech 250 OEM keyboard and Razer Diamondback mouse

Got Logitech X-230 for speakers currently and Grado SR-80 for headphones
Old 12-18-2008

That is a sweet setup. The pentium processors blow, I have no idea why they would discontinue them, and then reintroduce them as a dual core model, the dual core model is a joke. Anyways, check this out: http://www.techworldspace.com/hardwa...supercomputer/
That's a crazy GPU.