This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is better?
The Manga 29 34.94%
The Anime 24 28.92%
Indifferent 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2009

Location: Well, it made perfect sense in the Japanese Version

Obata-sensei's art rocks, L keeps things interesting until he dies, and Light is definitely gay.

An interesting cop story that sadly failed to make any real commentary on the discussion of justice and ethics that was set up as the basis of the story. Ultimately, Death Note fails to reach true greatness . . . mostly because none of the characters play children's card games.

3 / 5 dark magicians. [/end]

Last edited by ChouToshio; 12-30-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2010

Blurb: 5 METERS >D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
The anime is mostly close, but the ending is radically different in terms of events.

edit: Um, the manga came first.
Personally, I prefer the ending in the anime. Mikami was boring in the last chapter,"ASDFDSHGFEWG UR NAWT GAWD!" as compared to "FFFFFF--" *stabs self in artery with fountain pen* *blood spews everywhereeee*
Old 01-19-2010

I just finished watching the anime a few days ago. I loved it! I don't how I didn't discover Death Note sooner. Now I'm going to read the anime.
Old 01-20-2010

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySamSocks View Post
read the anime.
Wait, What?
Old 01-20-2010

Blurb: Not mentally an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
Wait, What?
Old 02-22-2010

Blurb: "The dark Hour holds your destany"
Send a message via Yahoo to Persona

Deathnote, was a good anime. Though, I got sad when L died v.v; and then light had to go all postal crazy....>.>; yeah weird ending.. xD other than that it was awesome.
Old 02-22-2010

deathnote is stereotypical black-white (like how all criminals are ugly, and all criminals are men) to a ridiculous extreme, to top it off it's very sexist, most women are retarded barbie dolls who can barely speak right

"Death Note" is also a synonym for unrealisticness, especially later in the series

all the tension gets lost after L dies but I already wrote that, heh
Old 02-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post
Deathnote, was a good anime. Though, I got sad when L died v.v; and then light had to go all postal crazy....>.>; yeah weird ending.. xD other than that it was awesome.
I feel your pain. And Light scares the hell outta me.
Old 02-23-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Denton View Post
deathnote is stereotypical black-white (like how all criminals are ugly, and all criminals are men) to a ridiculous extreme, to top it off it's very sexist, most women are retarded barbie dolls who can barely speak right

"Death Note" is also a synonym for unrealisticness, especially later in the series

[SPOILER]all the tension gets lost after L dies but I already wrote that, heh[/SPOILER]
Ok first can people please put curtain information in spoilers, though it is unlikely there are people out their who have not seen it and the above could seriously ruin it for them

As for this, black-white, where do you get off, sure the unimportant criminals are stereotypes, but if you bothered to think about it, rather than just offhandedly disliking everything which is popular, you would realise they did that for a reason, think about it, it is a kid ([SPOILER]for all intents and purposes, as too far gone by time grows up[/SPOILER]) who is foolish enough to believe he can/should be judge/jury and executor of justice, who is going to kill, generally anyone who has these believes is going have narrow view of justice and so it will be the stereotyped villains he goes, the writers simply intensify this, so as to add effect

=With the rest of the characters, they are hardly bad and white, hey mostly very conflicting in themselves:-

Light=Has very high sense of morals and justice, smart, handsome, kind (which shown quite extensively in points, especially in the middle of the first season) and yet thinks murderer is ok, so long as its his murderer, also very manipulative, curl, heartless and even as evil the evil he wishes to fight in places, he both ends of the extremities of fundamentalist belief to the point, he circles them both in on each other, in way only insanity of fundermentism can. However the most telling thing about light is that whether you consider him, good, bad, gray, hero, anti-hero, villain...etc (all of which he can be considered depending on your stance and position,) he still causes a lot of good in this world, he just does it at expense of lot of pain and so from this, you can take what you will, however me personally, from fictional view, I find him fascinating character to point of being one of my favioute in any form of media, however from realist view, well he proves just why I am against things like death penalty and that injustice will never create justice.

L=Now on face of it, he is simple good guy detective with insane skills, Right? Wrong, dispite all of his skills, he has so many mental problems, he could be his own case-study and dispite generally fighting for what seen as good side, he admits from start, he only fights people like kira because he finds it fun and he is very vindictive and petty character at points, he just shows in far less overt way than Kira. Also he more than once crosses that line between fighting justice and injustice, making him just the same as kira, a person who believes injustice will create justice, all be it, he far less extreme. His love of sweet things could mean a range of things, but I think it is there to be mentor for him as person, sweet on outside, but will rot teeth if like too much of him.

Mello=He is another who fights on the supposed good side, yet he does for very selfish reasoning, he simply wishes to prove himself, however this never ascertained as to whether he simply that sort of person or if be in the shadows of others all his life made him that way.

Matsuda=He is the embody of normal man, not perpetually strong, smart, skilful, cunning, and most of all good or bad, simply neutral guy caught in the middle of everything, which is why his involvement in the help is so symbolic in my opinion. And So with this, he shows both the hypocritical and self conflicting idealogy that societies often hold, he fights Kira because people around him tell right thing to do, however [SPOILER]right to the end, he holds the idea that kira was not the bad guy and often supported huis aims[/SPOILER] how does this work, theoretically and morally, it doesn’t, but sense when did the mob which is society think on that level?
=People hate murderers, so we kill them, people believe that terrorists restrict human rights, so what do we do, restrict both our own and their rights……etc Our History’s blood is written with the failings of our own jus-opposing ideals, and matsuda is meant to show this.

=I could go on, but think point is proven enough, Now with the sexism thing, yes the characters are generally sexist I would agree and in places I would say by general western standards (of course our standards are now massively out of wack as shows like Married with single other, prove) it is sexist, however I think this while not always right, generally it comes down to exasperated state this anime takes on life, it makes everything extreme and ALL the characters other than lights father and sister are generally very damning views of people and society, however because of our societies modern fixation of anything which is in anyway shows woman non-girlpower is sexist, we will notice it more in female characters, but characters like matusda and Demegawa hardly make male population look great.
While do not forget both Wedy and Naomi are strong characters and lights sister is only one intended to be considered an alround good person, so the idea that woman are portrayed negatively in this anime is wrong, generally everyone.

=However generally I agree with your last point in the anime, but I think the manga is better anyway and while second half will never be as good as first, I still found it engaging.

=I seriously think for all your talk of hating cliches...etc, you really take things on massive facevalue stance, and unless a point is completely in your face, you seem to miss it or demiss it way too quickly
Old 02-23-2010

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Death Note has an absolutely horrifying (abit the "organs" are censored) hentai counterpart called Dream Note

I wouldn't recommend it
Old 02-23-2010

O.O
Didn't know that.
Old 02-23-2010

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade5020 View Post
O.O
Didn't know that.
yeah...its fucked

if you're a fan of hentai rape go right ahead...
I'm not...I was freaked out
Old 02-24-2010
Banned

The fans ruin it.
Old 02-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
yeah...its fucked

if you're a fan of hentai rape go right ahead...
I'm not...I was freaked out
...Think I'll leave that to the weirdos
Old 02-26-2010

Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

Death Note is awesome. What I cannot stand is the people who are all like "I stopped watching the seires after L died boo hooo" damn that is annoying (when people only watch a seires because of a character) L is ok, but the plot is still golden when and after he dies. Well, that is my opinion anyway...

Sorry, I had to say that.