This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2009

Default What's the worst anime dub edit you've ever seen?

I've seen threads like this on other forums about various subjects, so I decided to try one here. Honestly, it may not be the worst, but I find these pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XRp...eature=related
Old 03-28-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

As bad as 4Kids dubs are, I have to give this one to Sailor Moon. The dub is beyond insulting.
Old 03-28-2009

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
As bad as 4Kids dubs are, I have to give this one to Sailor Moon. The dub is beyond insulting.
thank you thank you thank you, someone else who knows the horror that is the dub, i have the japanese series all the episodes and YEAH everything including a whole entire season and a few episodes are cut from the american dribble, and the whole "lets make neptune and uranus cousins instead of lovers thing?"
Old 03-28-2009

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
thank you thank you thank you, someone else who knows the horror that is the dub, i have the japanese series all the episodes and YEAH everything including a whole entire season and a few episodes are cut from the american dribble, and the whole "lets make neptune and uranus cousins instead of lovers thing?"
Hey, they didn't get rid of the lesbian relationship.... they just made it incestuous.
Old 03-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanAura View Post
Hey, they didn't get rid of the lesbian relationship.... they just made it incestuous.
Yes, the uncut version is quite disturbing with the English audio on.

It doesn't help that Neptune's VA is horrible. It makes it seem like some bad, twisted Danielle Steele novel adaptation. (Uranus' is okay, but she took Megumi Ogata's "gruff badassery" and interpreted it as "don't give a shit about anything".)
Old 03-28-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to XxEnslavedNekoxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
Yes, the uncut version is quite disturbing with the English audio on.

It doesn't help that Neptune's VA is horrible. It makes it seem like some bad, twisted Danielle Steele novel adaptation. (Uranus' is okay, but she took Megumi Ogata's "gruff badassery" and interpreted it as "don't give a shit about anything".)
Well to add to that they turned Zoisite (Whatever spelling you wanna go with, I've seen too many different versions) into a girl in the american version to hide the fact that HE was gay with Malachite. Ontop of that, they made Fish-Eye seem like a girl until they forgot to remove the part where he rips off his shirt. That was a little disturbing for me. It's no wonder they didn't bring out Sailor Stars. They wouldn't know what to do with that since the Sailor Starlights are men in their normal form and turn into women when they transform. I had to buy all the original japanese VHS's when I was down in San Fransisco. I have no freakin clue what they are saying either since it's all in japanese and no subs. >.<

Personally, I really don't mind dubs for the most part. Animes that are going to be shown on TV as kids shows are always going to be edited. However, there are a few voice actresses I can't stand. That would be the voice actress's for Emerald in Sailor Moon, and Naga for Slayers.

Toonami also forgot to edit the part in Outlaw Star where Gene calls Ron a bastard. They managed to get it the next time around. And then there was the Toonami version of Tenchi Muyo where they painted a bathing suit onto Ryoko.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxEnslavedNekoxX View Post
I have no freakin clue what they are saying either since it's all in japanese and no subs. >.<
There are VKLL badsubs that are common on the net, but there are new better ones around. PM me if you want those; although it shouldn't be a problem since Stars isn't licensed and probably never will be, I still would rather be safe.
Old 03-29-2009

I say any anime dubbed by 4kids is bad :P
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornZombie2 View Post
Okay, there is a real fine line there. While 4kids does do massive amounts of editing, they are necessary edits so the show can be viewed by their audience. Their audience is little kids like 3-8 year olds so they have to do that. However, they do at times do to much, however they have made some shows a lot better with their edits. One Piece for example. I prefer 4kids One Piece to FUNimation's version because it is actually much funnier in my opinion. Just because what they do is different doesn't mean they make bad edits, you all just have closed minds.
I may have to kill you for that statement about OP. It's a funny show but there are times when Luffy and the gang become dead serious and those are the times when 4kids misses the mark like a blind man ski shooting. The casting was miserable in the 4kids version and ESPECIALLY for Sanji, who happens to be my favorite character, and I find that unforgivable. I'll let the lolipop edits slide because.... well, it was aimed at kids and kids are stupid enough to try something like smoking if they see their favorite character doing it on TV. *sigh*

I won't say FUNimation is flawless either though. Neither versions fit my vision of how Luffy would speak if he were to speak in English but that's the cost of having such an awesome VA in the Japanese dub.... I <3 Mayumi Tanaka. The same goes for Sanji but his is actually not that bad in FUNi's version.

*EDIT*
And you absolutely can NOT condone the elimination of entire STORY ARCS such as Laboon and Little Garden. Those were relevant to the story and getting rid of them creates a magnitude of paradoxes *paradoxi?* later on! That's SLOPPY. Whatever little edits they may have made, rewriting the story is not something an anime dubbing company should be doing.

Last edited by TitanAura; 03-29-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2009

Editing animes normally always get's messed up because views on what kids should and should not watch are screwed up anyway. It's wrong to be gay, but it's okay to be a guy and cross dress (Fish-eye from Sailor Moon). If they are going to censor things they should be censoring everything in my opinion. Ontop of that most kids aren't stupid. Sure, younger ones may emulate behaviour, but if the parents were actually taking the time to teach their children instead of sitting them infront of a TV things would be different in my opinion. When I was little, it was okay to watch cartoon characters getting pummled by mallets and in one case, it was even okay to show topless mermaids (Hans Christan Andersons The Little Mermaid).

The point is we wouldn't have to edit things so much of parents actually raised their kids. But since most use the TV as a babysitter and don't watch these programs themselves, they get upset when they see something they don't like. Anything viewed by a child should be viewed by the parent first if they are so concerned about it.

However, I do agree with you also. Just because it is edited doesn't mean that it is bad. Master of Mosquiton for instance, I found to be much funnier in american than japanese. But that more or less refers to the script.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
However, I do agree with you also. Just because it is edited doesn't mean that it is bad. Master of Mosquiton for instance, I found to be much funnier in american than japanese. But that more or less refers to the script.
There you go. It has everything to do with the script. Visual edits are fine by me because I'm actually doing that for my fandubbing team right now in order to replace on screen kanji with it's english equivalent so the audience can READ what's written there. However I'm very conservative about what I edit. If it's something in the background that has no relevance to what's happening, I leave it be. But altering the script drastically is something that dubbing companies should avoid. Dialogue can be re-written if it has to be changed to fit with, not only the mouthing, but also the situation, overall the story should still flow the way it does in the original version. The character's motivating factors, their personalities, the major plot points should all be intact.
Old 03-29-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Titan I agree with you, editors may have to change some things, but should never change overall story

but like I said to sally in another post, it also comes down to the orginal writers selling their stories and allowing this to happen, as a writer I hope that I can say, I would never sell any of my stories to other companies to change, just for editing purposes
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Titan I agree with you, editors may have to change some things, but should never change overall story

but like I said to sally in another post, it also comes down to the orginal writers selling their stories and allowing this to happen, as a writer I hope that I can say, I would never sell any of my stories to other companies to change, just for editing purposes
The issue isn't selling the rights, it's WHO they sell the rights too. It's the fans that often request and sometimes DEMAND that these animes be made, Full Metal Alchemist Series 2 coming next month being a perfect example of the latter, so often times the authors are left with little choice but to let it happen lest they feel the wrath of the fanbase which is the equivalent of the hammer of Thor as wielded by Stimpy. And you have to remember that the authors are STILL WORKING on these series while the anime is being produced so they don't really have the time to give the ok on the decisions that the writers and directors make while they adapt the manga into an anime and even fewer chances to contact an overseas company that is doing a redub in another language that they may or may not even speak.
Old 03-29-2009
Chumba Wumba

Titan, that is my point, they sell their rights to wrong groups without a fight, most of time they take money and run. Don't think these writers are helpless little puppy's, if they really wanted to they could easily easy enforce their rights or put things in contracts to stop this happening, infact are dudding/editing groups out there, willing to do this, it is just other companies can out bid them at times and so that is why get some which are badly edited,
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Titan, that is my point, they sell their rights to wrong groups without a fight, most of time they take money and run. Don't think these writers are helpless little puppy's, if they really wanted to they could easily easy enforce their rights or put things in contracts to stop this happening, infact are dudding/editing groups out there, willing to do this, it is just other companies can out bid them at times and so that is why get some which are badly edited,
I think a perfect example of someone selling the rights is Anne Rice. Her books where good and Interview wasn't that bad of a movie. Yes some things were changed but it still flowed well. Queen of the Damned was just horrible in every aspect. The only GOOD thing was the soundtrack. I hope to one day be published but if someone wants to do something to my book, such as turn it into a movie, I will make it a point to watch over every aspect and see how it goes. I do think that some people get screwed out of it, some just sell the rights for money to people who butcher it, however there are also some who watch over everything they do. Hayao Miyazaki for instance, approve of the american script for his movies and demands that NOTHING is changed. Even though the animes were imported, and dubbed, he was still involved in saying what happens.

I think we can all agree that greed is the enemy in this.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
I suppose but what I'm saying is that what they're focusing on is their manga and their own financial well being *as ANYONE would be* so the anime isn't their first priority. To them, the manga is their job and the anime is just an extra source of income. I'm just stating what their priorities are which would be what everyone else's priorities are. They do have to make a living and if they can make more while continuing their own work separately, they'll do it. I've always wondered how people qualify "selling out" when a product that is created due to the selling the rights to make a bit of extra money. Now obviously there are a few absolute whores out there who will give away the rights of their products to anyone who has the money to pay for it but that doesn't apply to everyone.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Hayao Miyazaki for instance, approve of the american script for his movies and demands that NOTHING is changed. Even though the animes were imported, and dubbed, he was still involved in saying what happens.

I think we can all agree that greed is the enemy in this.
One of the reasons he's one of my heroes. I think anyone who's a fan of his knows the infamous "katana gift" with the message "No cuts" he sent to Miramax during the dubbing process of Princess Mononoke because they were planning to cut scenes to make it shorter for the theatrical release. Such a great sense of humor the man has lol. It's that kind of dedication to art that makes me love his work.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
One of the reasons he's one of my heroes. I think anyone who's a fan of his knows the infamous "katana gift" with the message "No cuts" he sent to Miramax during the dubbing process of Princess Mononoke because they were planning to cut scenes to make it shorter for the theatrical release. Such a great sense of humor the man has lol. It's that kind of dedication to art that makes me love his work.
I never heard of that one.
Old 03-29-2009

I think Blood + was horrible when dubbed. Not due to english issues, but because the voiceovers that they chose for the characters completely killed any character development because the talent sucked ass and didn't know how to inflect their voices.
Old 03-29-2009

Sailor moon should not have been dubbed and watered down to the point it was not even worth watching. About 5 episodes from season one were taken out, like the one where Usagi uses her magic pen to go into an R18 night club and then off course there was the zoisite incident, even though she was clearly a MAN lets make the character female so HER and Malachite can be a legitimate coupling, and the star lights? they didn't even bother with, which is a good thing really.

in the japanese version there is also no crappy "Sailor says" Bull i mean seriously it was like anime barney :X

Also Yugioh, Pokemon and DBZ were all badly done, thats probably why i didnt bother watching DBZ because the dub cramped so many episodes into one
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Sailor moon should not have been dubbed and watered down to the point it was not even worth watching. About 5 episodes from season one were taken out, like the one where Usagi uses her magic pen to go into an R18 night club and then off course there was the zoisite incident, even though she was clearly a MAN lets make the character female so HER and Malachite can be a legitimate coupling, and the star lights? they didn't even bother with, which is a good thing really.

in the japanese version there is also no crappy "Sailor says" Bull i mean seriously it was like anime barney :X

Also Yugioh, Pokemon and DBZ were all badly done, thats probably why i didnt bother watching DBZ because the dub cramped so many episodes into one
Yeah I bought the sailor moon dvd's of season 1 and 2. I remember the one episode with the little bunnies that went out, the episode with the papillions that concerns Sailor V's old love from england and the woman he ended up with, the one with the little girl who has a f'ed up family and something about them wanting to use her powers which didn't seem THAT bad to me. And some others I can't remember. It's been so long since I watched Sailor Moon.

You know what I don't get? Why censor all that stuff and leave in the part where Prince Endymon beats the crap out of Jupiter once he turns evil. Is violence towards women a good thing? And Rubeus, don't get me started with him. He was like a giant flaming pedophile in the english series. Always going after Chibi-Usa (Can't stand her but it's just the principle). Not to mention Chibi-Usa pretty much wanting to screw her dad. And then Catsy wanted to kill herself when Rubeus said he didn't love her. So yay for suicide! It's a good thing that Utena was never aired on TV. Otherwise we would have only gotten five minutes of the show with how screwed up that one is too. Yeah, way to go. Gays are bad but incest and violence against women is A-Ok. Two thumbs up! **Sarcastic tone for those who can't telll**
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Well.... the DBZ anime was seriously 2/3 filler you know.... It wasn't bad but it moved at a snail pace and the power up sequences went for 10 minutes before the fighting so I can't really blame you. I was actually a bigger fan of the original Dragon Ball series over DBZ.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornZombie2 View Post
Okay, there is a real fine line there. While 4kids does do massive amounts of editing, they are necessary edits so the show can be viewed by their audience. Their audience is little kids like 3-8 year olds so they have to do that. However, they do at times do to much, however they have made some shows a lot better with their edits. One Piece for example. I prefer 4kids One Piece to FUNimation's version because it is actually much funnier in my opinion. Just because what they do is different doesn't mean they make bad edits, you all just have closed minds.
You're either an idiot or a troll. Although "troll" and "idiot" are rather redundant anyway.
Old 03-29-2009

Quote:
Well.... the DBZ anime was seriously 2/3 filler you know.... It wasn't bad but it moved at a snail pace and the power up sequences went for 10 minutes before the fighting so I can't really blame you. I was actually a bigger fan of the original Dragon Ball series over DBZ.
Haha! Reminds me of now when me and my boyfriend are watching Naruto. It reminds me of Dragonball Z so at the end of the episode, and you know there is about 6 more episodes to go before the battle conclusion, I'm often saying "Next time, on Dragonball Z!"
Old 03-30-2009

4 Kids is the winner for worst dub company ever, but to me the worst anime dub edit to a single series is definitely Cardcaptor Sakura, or Cardcaptors

not only do they start the series on episode 8, change names, and combine episode 1 with episode 34 or something, only show like 40 episodes out of 70 and give it the classic, 'kids friendly horrible pun' filled dialogue, they take out every single relationship and turn Li into a douche

Last edited by Fir3freak; 03-30-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2009

Yu-Gi-Oh GX.

I rest my case.
Old 03-30-2009

they kinda turned GX into an abridged series though if u watch the later episodes, so it got better but its still wrong because it will never be YGO and i agree with dannilithborne, reborn has to be a troll for that hideous remark

liking 4kids? PFFT
Old 03-30-2009
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
I suppose but what I'm saying is that what they're focusing on is their manga and their own financial well being *as ANYONE would be* so the anime isn't their first priority. To them, the manga is their job and the anime is just an extra source of income. I'm just stating what their priorities are which would be what everyone else's priorities are. They do have to make a living and if they can make more while continuing their own work separately, they'll do it. I've always wondered how people qualify "selling out" when a product that is created due to the selling the rights to make a bit of extra money. Now obviously there are a few absolute whores out there who will give away the rights of their products to anyone who has the money to pay for it but that doesn't apply to everyone.
I understand what your saying, it is like english footballers. In my home town team, there was young lad who had amazing ability and was a local legend, (still only 21) but he then forces a move to a SMALLER club, just because they offered an extra 1000 pounds a week and were in London. Most hated him for it, I was more disapointed in him, but understand that people will look after number 1. However I think there is a fine line between looking after number 1 and just whoring yourself/your work to highest bidder, without a fight!!!!!

Eia, I think that is harsh: at lest they kept to some of lines lol, it was the soppyness of the English one which bugged hell out of me.

Yes Syia sounds like a weak, dippy airhead and Diva just needs a slap lol

but Soloman sounded how I felt he would sound, soft and cultured, but with a dark sharpness to him, same with Hatija

And Kei's voice actor did several things, and is ok for part.

Though think the worst one has to be Kei's little brother, he has the most annoying sissy voice, (don't read next bit if not seen it [ I was happy he died ] he sounded worse than Mokobua in Yu Gi Oh

(Sorry if spelt names wrong)

DBZ had a cool storyline, but was never going to survivie dubbing, it was about martial arts and destroying worlds, plus 90% of it was filler fights so it was always going to be cut down epicly and BADLY, worst bit was making humans surivive everything though, How can a whole city get destroyed, yet no one dies, do the editors think kids are R)))))DED

BTBTBTB=Sending poeple to the stars lolz, but to be fair, the show was bad in japanese, as well I mean it was same story 4 times, just with different bad guys and set in a school for dueling cards

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 03-30-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2009

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Cardcaptors was pretty much butchered when compared to its original counterpart.

Kirby: Right back at ya! sounds like it got raped too (Yes, I know it's a more childish anime, but sub over dub)

Although, I don't think any dub is 100% true to its original. Thee always seem to be unnecasary edits everywhere..
Old 03-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
Although, I don't think any dub is 100% true to its original. Thee always seem to be unnecasary edits everywhere..
Naruto and Bleach are fairly faithful.