This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009

Blurb: ???? ?????!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTristan View Post
I've seen the first three episodes of the dub. I really wanted to see what Renge sounded like, but unfortunately she comes in on episode 4. I just believe they, much like 4Kids, recycle the same voice actors over and over and over again.

Also, did you know that Vic Mignona got the role of Tamaki simply because 1. He wanted it, and 2. His friend, Caitlin Glass, was the director.

It's setting up such a horribly premise for people who want to be actors/voice actors. "As long as you know the director, you can get a good role?" Ugh.
Okay, but none of that can really be used to discredit the Ouran dub itself; point those complaints toward the company. And even then, we don't know just how many actors they have on hand, so whatever.

Seiyuu are recycled all the time too, ya know. lol
Old 04-28-2009

Pretty much everything 4kids have laid their tentacles into.

Though saying that, the pokemon company are actually doing a worse job of the english dub of the afforemention anime than 4kids where...

Dubs are for the uncultured anyway.
Old 04-29-2009

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Gale View Post
I've heard bad voices before, but I think people often overreact on the subject just because the voices are different rather than genuinely stepping back and thinking for a moment on whether or not they fit.

It's probably the most superficial thing to complain about, honestly.
Well, Monica Rial sounds absolutely forced in the Tsubasa Chronicle dub, nothing like the (almost-too) sweet tones of Yui Makino (the Japanese actress for Sakura). God, I hope they let her go before they dub the OVAs.
Old 04-29-2009

Blurb: F**K DINOSAURS!!!

recycling voice actors even happens in Japan. What do you expect the Japanese voice acting people to do when their shows end? So that complaint doesn't hold any ground. Watch the Japanese version of One Piece, then the Japanese version of DBZ. Extra points if you watch Son Goku and Friends Return. Don't you think Goku and Luffy sound almost exactly the same? So next time you complain about Steven Blum making his newest character sound like Vincent or Spike, just watch the Japanese versions of Goku and Luffy for a refresher course.
Old 04-30-2009

Uh, I don't recall saying they sounde the same as anyone. I just said Mokona and Sakura had awful voices. There's a difference between the English and Japanese voice actors. Most often, the voice actors in Japan fit their roles. In English, they seem to cast anybody, regardless of what they do to the character.

The point was, that the voices in the dub are awful in comparison to the original. TBH, Dan Green sounds similar to Yami in a lot of things, but I don't really care (in fact, he once said he based his Yami voice off his Entei voice) whether they sound like another character. Unless it's Kaiba. But LK has already poked fun of that.
Old 05-01-2009

Send a message via MSN to grandia yuki

We all agree that 4kids is horrible at anime and should have never existed.

Some dubs are well done. Full Metal Panic is one of them. I watched one scene dubbed and subbed, the dub had few edits because of translation and how long the mouth moves on the characters.
Old 05-02-2009

Well, all dubs may change dialogue around to fit better, but convey the same general message.
Old 05-02-2009

Blurb: ...and shoot that old lady

I dont mind the dubbing, just sometimes the voiceactors suck, and the original dialogue is shit
Old 05-11-2009

Blurb: F**K DINOSAURS!!!

I'll admit, Chad's English voice is not so great... Although Chad isn't supposed to have so many long monologues. However, plenty of English voices also are good. Vic did a good job as Edward and Ikkaku. Johnny Young Bosch can perfectly characterize Vash and Ichigo. Light is good in English. For every Japanese voice failure, there's a chance for an amazing English voice. I personally think Dan Green did a better job as Yami than the Japanese guy. Chris Sabat does a better Vegeta voice than the Japanese guy. So there are plenty of overlooked instances where the American person actually outdoes the Japanese person.
Old 05-12-2009

There's one dub that is worse than all of these. The entire series they pronounce the main character's name wrong! The anime is Princess Nine. It's awful.
Old 05-12-2009

Blurb: Male abuse - I'm for it, and even against it.

I stress Polish Yu-Gi-Oh dub again. For laughs, I've decided to check the first episode of the Polish version. I love especially the two scenes:
Yugi: <transforms into Yami>
Kaiba: <complete indifference in his voice, even though his face looks pretty shocked> Oh? What's that?

Yugi: The card I play is... UNSTOPPABLE EXODIA!
Kaiba: <gayest voice possible> Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Exodia!
Old 05-26-2009

if it hasnt been said already, cause i dont feel like reding through, Rave master, though not a bad dub just annoys me afer reading the totally kid unfriendly manga, i mean it was like 2001 i think and funimation took out kill, dark, and changed alot, the biggest change was when they made griff(small blue thing) totally not a pervert and they took out master, i mean really, is it so bad to say master plue, instead he says sir plue, it just annoys me is all
Old 05-26-2009

Location: Pennsylvania: There is no amount of therapy that would make it okay.
Blurb: Siempre contigo quiero estar. :D
Send a message via AIM to beatlesgirl95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTristan View Post

Also, did you know that Vic Mignogna got the role of Tamaki simply because 1. He wanted it, and 2. His friend, Caitlin Glass, was the director.
I know where you are coming from and why you are upset with Vic Mignogna getting Tamaki, but I will admit that I think he portrays Tamaki accurately... I think that the VAs in Ouran are actually pretty good.

On the Vic Mignogna topic, I think he does well with most of the characters he does...especially Fai from Tsubasa.... once again I think this dub is pretty well executed... I think Monica Rial does a fine job doing Sakura...

(but let's all face dub or sub the manga is ALMOST always better) :p
Old 06-07-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to XxEnslavedNekoxX

I forgot about Bastard. Dark Schnider had a horrible voice in that, but to be fair, none of the characters had very accurate voices.
Old 06-23-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to Twilightyami7

This is from the 1970s dubbed of Tekkaman: The Space Knight which was dubbed horrible especially saying Space Lance multiple times but became a cult classic.

Tekkaman dub
Old 06-24-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosVincent1 View Post
Watch the Japanese version of One Piece, then the Japanese version of DBZ. Extra points if you watch Son Goku and Friends Return. Don't you think Goku and Luffy sound almost exactly the same?
Actually, Luffy is voiced by Mayumi Tanaka, who voices Krillin, not Goku.
Old 06-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardgamer View Post
There's one dub that is worse than all of these. The entire series they pronounce the main character's name wrong! The anime is Princess Nine. It's awful.
It's not the only one. Cardcaptors did this to Sakura, having her name pronounced Sa-ku-ra rather than Sa-ku-ra.
Old 06-25-2009

Blurb: NO U

The one that comes to mind that isn't mentioned (?) is the Eyeshield 21 dub. I personally hated the English version, because they censored the Haha Brother's wooden baseball bat (which, if you watch the scene, looks dumb) but not Hiruma's gun (usually). They took out all of the Japanese humor, because the sponsor (NFL :O) doesn't understand Japanese humor. Some of the voices will make you want to strangle yourself, even in Episode 1 (I could barely sit through episode one, but I've heard a helluvalotta negative feedback).
Old 06-25-2009

I know this is about bad dubs but I personally think Ed's voice in the Full Metal Alchemist Dub was better than the original, just putting it out there :3
Old 12-08-2009

Location: Underneath your bed as the hellish shadows waiting to give you a hug!
Blurb: I am a Malik/Marik fangirl/ But I'm also a Bakura fan
Send a message via MSN to MariksSexKitten Send a message via Yahoo to MariksSexKitten

One Piece, and Sailor Moon :/ Very bad dubs.. Oh and for anyone who has seen it Fushigi Yuugi dubbed was awful too..
Old 12-08-2009

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

the original DBZ dub
(with OVER 9000!!!!)
I mean a lot of dubs are lame, only reason I like Rozen Maiden and DBZ more then the originals is the voices are cooler and I don't wanna hear Desu 1000 times lol
Old 12-08-2009

Blurb: The YGO Marathon was ace. <3

I think Naruto.
Old 12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Card Games View Post
I think Naruto.
Care to explain this with anything beyond the same old ridiculous "Believe it" bullshit?
Old 12-08-2009

As much as it had its moments, I was less than satisfied with the Higurashi dub.
Still, it wasn't as bad as the One Piece dub - all I ever heard while watching it was overweight people with hats yelling at eachother.
Old 12-08-2009

Blurb: The YGO Marathon was ace. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
Care to explain this with anything beyond the same old ridiculous "Believe it" bullshit?
Nah, not really. That catchphrase alone was enough to make my ears bleed.
However, I am not excusing the majority of the other characters either. Sasuke and Kakashi's voices were among the worst in my opinion. Then again, I gave up watching the dub halfway through the first season.
Old 12-08-2009

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
the original DBZ dub
(with OVER 9000!!!!)
I mean a lot of dubs are lame, only reason I like Rozen Maiden and DBZ more then the originals is the voices are cooler and I don't wanna hear Desu 1000 times lol
WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT!

Where the hell did you find an RM dub? I've been searching forever for that!
Old 12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Card Games View Post
Nah, not really. That catchphrase alone was enough to make my ears bleed.
However, I am not excusing the majority of the other characters either. Sasuke and Kakashi's voices were among the worst in my opinion. Then again, I gave up watching the dub halfway through the first season.
I am still not hearing any reason the dub is bad beyond "sasuke no seiyuu is kawaii desu". Naruto had a good dub; I find only retard otakus hate it.
Old 12-08-2009

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT!

I think some are in the used bin at my local suncoast
and there's always rightstuff.com
Old 12-08-2009
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Rozen Maiden english dub is terrible. Jun's english voice is pretty standard, but Shinku's is freaking horrible.
I managed to glean how terrible the dub is from only half of episode one (before the site I was on infected my computer with about 3 viruses)

Stick with the subs - plus you get DESU then.
Old 12-08-2009

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT!

i got both seasons mo fo

(instead of a smile emoticon)
thats my Rozen Maiden smile!