This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochiha View Post
Being the writer/elitist anime conisseur that I am, I have to disagree with you on all of those points.
I am a writer, too, and very picky about the anime I watch. I disagree with your disagreement, and have the courage of my convictions. In short, I don't give a damn what you think beyond all this petty bickering.

(P.S. Someone with a Code Geass avatar really shouldn't talk about what sucks in anime. :P)

Last edited by DannyLilithborne; 08-07-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2009

Quote:
Doesn't Viz own 4Kids?

Oh, and by the way, Yu-Gi-Oh! was never intended by Konami or anyone to be taken seriously by any means; the whole series is just a publicity stunt for the actual card game. This means that even a better dub won't really solve any of the REAL problems that YGO has.
In addition, if 4Kids goes under, whoever buys them will likely buy the rights to the serieses they have. And I'm fairly certain the most likely candidate for purchase is (gathers himself to keep from going insane out of typing the next word) Disney.
You have said the Forbidden Word! I can only shiver to what you-know-who will do with ongoing animes. I could even say you-know-who is worse than 4KIDS. Anyone remember what they did to Princess Monnoke?

Disney loves "cutting" scenes...to make it more "suitable" for kiddies...One time with Princess Monnoke they've gone a little crazzierrrrr than usual...The creator of Princess Monnoke disagreed...tried to defend his Anime movie...Disney didnt like that...not.one.bit...
Old 08-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Princeton View Post
Disney loves "cutting" scenes...to make it more "suitable" for kiddies...One time with Princess Monnoke they've gone a little crazzierrrrr than usual...The creator of Princess Monnoke disagreed...tried to defend his Anime movie...Disney didnt like that...not.one.bit...
I take it you haven't heard the "katana" story.
Old 08-07-2009

Please inlightnen me...
Old 08-07-2009
Definitely Kim Jong Un; The Cryptkeeper

Blurb: PSN: animex75b Switch: SW-5941-0272-2331

yes, enlighten him
Old 08-07-2009

According to Wikipedia:

"The film was extremely successful in Japan and with both anime fans and arthouse moviegoers in English-speaking countries. In those countries, it was widely interpreted as a film about the environment told in the form of Japanese mythology. Disney's Miramax subsidiary purchased U.S. distribution rights, but wanted to cut the film for American audiences (and for a PG-rating). However, Miyazaki balked at this, and the film was instead released uncut with a rating of PG-13. Miramax also chose to put a lot of money into creating the English dub of the movie with famous actors and actresses, yet when they released it in theatres there was little or no advertising and it was given a very limited run, showing in only a few theatres and for a very short time. Disney later complained about the fact that the movie did not do well at the box office. In September 2000, the film was supposed to be released on DVD in the U.S. but Miramax announced that only the English dub would be included on the disc. Outraged fans demanded the Japanese track be put on the disc as well and the threat of poor sales prompted Miramax to hire translators for the subtitles, holding the DVD release back by almost three months. When the DVD was finally released it sold very well, due to no limitation in availability. According to Ultimate Disney, the film is due for a two-disc Special Edition treatment in the near future."

I'll admit it; I actually like Disney *horses neigh*, but the OLD Disney *horses neigh*. Like, when it first started up until the 60s-ish, then the Renaissance. I have a lot of great memories growing up and looking forward to the next Disney *horses neigh* summer movie, but I wouldn't trust them with anime...not one bit.
Old 08-07-2009

nope
Old 08-07-2009

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

Didn't Disney do the sailor moon dub?
Old 08-07-2009

No, that was DiC. And another company that I can't seem to recall atm...

DiC's Sailor Moon dub > 4Kids YGO Dub

In terms of fail.
Old 08-07-2009

Oh, and anyone know what's going on with the new forum background? I'm kinda confused...
Old 08-07-2009

go to the awesome/fave pic thread, the banner is there.....tho i dunno if it was there 1st or not
Old 08-08-2009

You would have done better to go to the Studio Ghibli article, GIM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia's Studio Ghibli article
The company is well-known for its strict "no-edits" policy in licensing their films abroad. This was a result of the dubbing of Miyazaki's Nausica? of the Valley of Wind when the film was released in the United States as Warriors of the Wind. The film was heavily edited and americanized, with significant portions cut and the plot rewritten. The "no cuts" policy was highlighted when Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein suggested editing Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable. In response, a Studio Ghibli producer sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts".
Old 08-08-2009

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

Does this mean that traditionally-4kid$ Voice Actors go to whoever buys 4Kid$ out? If Yu-Gi-Oh! Were to be given the dub it deserved (and almost got once apon a time) I would rather Dan Green in the role because I just can't imagine anyone else.
Old 08-08-2009

Dan Green was one of their only good VAs, and he's w/ us on 4Kids's censoring
Old 08-08-2009

Most 4Kids voice actors don't do properties other than 4Kids, probably because they are not really good at their jobs.

Scottie Ray, Tom Wayland and Darren Dunstan are also people that have done good work with 4Kids. Sean Schemmel is a good VA too, but with 4Kids his talent mysteriously disappears and you end up with crap like this.

Veronica Taylor, I'm told, is also a good VA. I can't tell because she plays Ash and a stoned hummingbird on acid could play Ash.
Old 08-08-2009

nice new avvie danny
Old 08-08-2009

I do not like how 4Kids do their job on dubbing, but I like their Pokemon especially the Kanto to Orange Island Saga. I found their dubbing on the Yu Gi Oh! series quite ok, but I can't judge on GX since it's never been aired here.

I really do feel sorry for them, this is just what happens when world is in recession.

Quote:
And I'm fairly certain the most likely candidate for purchase is (gathers himself to keep from going insane out of typing the next word) Disney.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotitmemorized12 View Post
I have a lot of great memories growing up and looking forward to the next Disney *horses neigh* summer movie, but I wouldn't trust them with anime...not one bit.
Actually, Disney has done justice to all of their Ghibli releases. They've been given excellent uncut dubs with top-notch actors, and they also gave the movies to TCM for brief runs a few years ago...with both languages airing back-to-back, uncut AND commercial-free.

As for the promotion of their newer releases: Their advertising for Ghibli's films have gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up after Spirited Away won the Oscar, and they've been airing in more theaters following each release.

Last edited by Daikun; 08-09-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2009

I do agree that they do a fantastic job with Ghibli movies. I'm very excited to see Ponyo this month! But I'm not sure how they'd do with a series...since they have that "family image."

Maybe they could do a children's anime series...? I think that would work for them.
Old 08-21-2009

Blurb: Remember! Pain is only funny when you have'nt got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
Most 4Kids voice actors don't do properties other than 4Kids, probably because they are not really good at their jobs.

Scottie Ray, Tom Wayland and Darren Dunstan are also people that have done good work with 4Kids. Sean Schemmel is a good VA too, but with 4Kids his talent mysteriously disappears and you end up with crap like this.

Veronica Taylor, I'm told, is also a good VA. I can't tell because she plays Ash and a stoned hummingbird on acid could play Ash.
I would just like to say that was'ent Sean Schemmel. That was Chris Sabat. Sean is the voice actor for goku while Chris is the voice actor for Vegeta and Piccolo. I know this because I am a die hard DBZ fanof both the Jap and Eng dubs. But can be an easy mistake to make.:D
Old 08-21-2009

Blurb: Remember! Pain is only funny when you have'nt got it.

any way sabat is in many 4kids shows like one piece and pokemon
Old 08-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyDudez View Post
any way sabat is in many 4kids shows like one piece and pokemon

Sabat has NEVER been in a 4Kids production. Ever.

Everything he has worked on was strictly with FUNimation.

Last edited by Daikun; 08-22-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikun View Post

Sabat has NEVER been in a 4Kids production. Ever.

Everything he has worked on was strictly with FUNimation.
^this
Old 08-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by animex75 View Post
Were you referring to him or me? Your post is kind of vague on that.

If it was me, I did the research. I found no 4Kids shows whatsoever attached to Sabat's name.

Last edited by Daikun; 08-24-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2009

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

I think that was at HeyDudz. Sabat is FUNimation, end of.
Old 08-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyDudez View Post
I would just like to say that was'ent Sean Schemmel. That was Chris Sabat. Sean is the voice actor for goku while Chris is the voice actor for Vegeta and Piccolo. I know this because I am a die hard DBZ fanof both the Jap and Eng dubs. But can be an easy mistake to make.:D
Um...

Well, everyone's pretty much destroyed you, but let me just reiterate. It was Sean Schemmel, and you are wrong. I only know that because I'm a YGO Wikia admin and I have to keep track of these things.
Old 08-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
Were you referring to him or me? Your post is kind of vague on that.

If it was me, I did the research. I found no 4Kids shows whatsoever attached to Sabat's name.
i was sayin i agreed to the post you made, the link was for the other guy...srry, it WAS kinda vague
Old 08-24-2009

Blurb: How do I activate blurb?

I swear, people were overexagerating, at least it was nothing like this:

Although there were useless edits (balck skin guy to white), they did things that made it safe for kids. Here's a simulation for your enjoyment.

Joey: Get a grip, man! *punches yugi*

Kid: Hey Thomas!

Tom: Yes?

Kid: Get a grip, man! *punches*
Old 08-24-2009

they were worse on One Piece, cuz of those assholes i cant stand to watch it-not even in Japanese-w/o getting sick to my stomach
Old 08-25-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to Fox knight

i wonder if disney bought 4kids out? idk.