This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009

Location: Well, it made perfect sense in the Japanese Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanAura View Post
Well things get slowed down when the director is working a full time job. Take for example this week, I've been working every day since Thursday and I don't have a day off until Saturday. That's a NINE DAY WORK WEEK. Fucking Disney.
No one's blaming you. You have your own life, and I think everyone can appreciate that this stuff doesn't come out of thin air. Frankly, I'm amazed that LK has come as far as he has even with his 4-10 min per ep. series. I can't imagine trying to take on dubbing a 200+ episode series with no money and a team of unpaid amateur volunteers to have to pull together and work around. I personally wouldn't want to tackle it-- sounds like a nightmare. I applaud the effort.

No, I'm not saying I expect more, but rather that you can't expect a big following as it is. I can appreciate your intentions and effort, but in terms of popularity the product has to stand for itself. I think you have to admit that as it is, you're not making much progress, on the series or reputation. Until you can progress further, I think it's unfair to expect too much of a following.

But again, I don't think anyone holds that against you personally.
Old 12-30-2009

Wait, TitanAura works at Disney? Or am I missing something from that post?
Old 12-30-2009

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

I bet it's one of those Disney internships. I hear those are lots of work. Also professionally it take 15 hours of recording time to dub one episode of a show into English. I image it takes even longer for amateurs.
Old 12-30-2009

Quote:
@Ohara: Noise Reduction exists for a reason and it's much less noticable than HAVING the noise. As I mentioned before, we don't have high end audio equipment since we're forced to rely on what our actor have and LK's lines had to have noise reduction just as much as our other actors so shut up. Just because LK is in our fandub, it should not automatically be assumed that everything that is NOT him is somehow inferior even going so far as to be deluded into thinking that his very existence makes his physical audio equipment vastly superior to that of modern man.
I know that - I'm not saying your dub is bad, which it's not. Sorry, I guess my post sounded harsher than what I meant. You're right - for a non-budget production, it's great. That aside, though, I wouldn't take it over the original dub.
I've edited my last post to be more accurate in accordance to what I was actually trying to say.

As far as the quality of the voicing goes, there's not much to criticize. LK's stands out, but I guess it's because of how similar it is to the original voice. It's no secret that he's one of the most talented voices there is, but I wasn't trying to make him out to be superior for the sake of it being him - I'm judging it based solely on what I heard.

Quote:
LK's lines had to have noise reduction just as much as our other actors so shut up.
Maybe, but it's a lot less noticeable.
The resulting sound after the reduction is just one of the things that tends to bug me more than it should. It's not your fault if it's unavoidable - there's no need to get defensive. :smile:

Last edited by Ohara; 12-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2009

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

I'll try to put in words how it feels to have our series criticized, especially concerning the production aspect like mixing/audio quality. In case you didn't realize, beyond being the director, I'm also the main video/audio mixer for ProjectYGO. One of.... 3 or so. This is a hobby. It's what I do because I LIKE to do it and therefore I take pride in it. Having it criticized feels like having the fruits of my labor either ignored or purposefully shunned and more often than not that criticism comes from people who quite simply don't know what they're talking about because, try as they might, they themselves could never possibly accomplish what I have done. I can often deal with criticism regarding "zomg Y R U using Jap names huuuuuur" because I have an entire crew and fanbase behind me to tell them that they are wrong and should be punched. But I'm alone when it comes to audio mixing. I am the only person to blame when something is "wrong" with the mixing so it becomes somewhat more personal. And I honestly can't wrap my head around why someone would go after what is seemingly the strongest suit of our series when the highly subjective aspects like translations and voice casting are there for the picking. Here we are, a ragtag group of amateurs pumping out a near-professional quality product at least in production value and then to have that be a "flaw" is an insult to our cause and on a fundamental level my own personal efforts.
Old 12-31-2009

You know Titan I'm really shocked at how personally you are taking this conversation. In terms of the audio quality, Ohara's been the only one to chime in on that, and looking over his post it seems that he laid out his opinion in a reasonable and mature fashion. I myself can't pick up on the audio stuff, and it sounds great to me so I really can't comment.

Outside that, the only other real criticism was my point that there are only 2 episodes, and I think that is a fair criticism.

Again, when talking about ProjectYGO we all know what position you guys are in so no one blames you (especially not blaming you for having your own life), but again you can't expect too much from fans at the current speed of the project.
Old 12-31-2009

Titan... your carrying on isn't doing your reputation any good. If you can't handle reasonable criticism, don't do anything in the first place.
I just said what I honestly thought of your work - for the limitations and equipment you have, you've done an exceptional job. I know you've worked hard on it and I'm not trying to deny your talents and the effort you've all put forth. At the same time, though, I wouldn't take it over the original dub, simply because I personally don't like it as much. It's not that I 'don't know what I'm talking about' - it's my opinion. What could I possibly not know?
...is that alright, or should I try sounding even nicer to the point of it becoming a lie?

Last edited by Ohara; 12-31-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2009
Possible Homersexual

Blurb: The MistakenLoner
Send a message via AIM to ThePRPD Send a message via MSN to ThePRPD

Quote:
I'll try to put in words how it feels to have our series criticized...Having it criticized feels like having the fruits of my labor either ignored or purposefully shunned and more often than not that criticism comes from people who quite simply don't know what they're talking about...
Dude just stop it. There will always be people who will not like something. Do you really expect everyone to say something good about, even if LK is in it?
Most people can and will say something bad about it if they didn't like it. They could be easy going and they could be harsh.

Don't get butt hurt every time someone says something negatively about your series. Learn to ignore, get over it, and deal with it because remember there are people that like and enjoy what you do and there is more good among the bad.

I see a person making a negative comment about my project every now and again and I just don't explode over one little comment.

I also agree with Ohara's and ChouToshio's post. So just stop it.

The way you are dealing with it is poor and immature.

Last edited by ThePRPD; 12-31-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2009

OK I didn't think my latest post would be seen in such a negative light, but let me explain something. Ask any long-time YGOTAS.com forum goer, or any of the mods, and you'll learn that I'm half troll, half lunatic, and half egg mcmuffin.

@ the actual criticism: Oh dear god of course there are problems with our series! Even referring to the mixing I haven't even FIXED half of the syncing issues and volume leveling in 79, though all of them are minor fixes. I'm not so idiotic as to think that anything we create is perfect and to criticize it doesn't make someone any less of a fan than the mindless majority who blindly accept what's given to them regardless of its faults. I criticize things that I like all the time including YGOTAS despite being LK's self-proclaimed #1 fan and I am one of my very own worst critics and look back on my first major success of You'll Never Stop the Abridged *look it up* and immediately realize just how inaudible, yet ear drum shattering that music video actually is from a technical standpoint. Even the remix isn't much better aside from allowing the lyrics to be heard a bit better and some of the more irritating passages of my singing are re-done to make your ears bleed less though I'd keep a box of tissues handy regardless.

@ everyone else: When I "rampage" I do so with the expressed purpose of creating attention because I am a WHORE. I've been on the internet for a long time and I know exactly how to generate attention and this is an easy way to do so.... that said, my latest post was actually meant to abate the negativity but I suppose the tone was waaaaay too passive aggressive for what I was trying to convey and more importantly I was NOT talking about any of you. Now that I've had a chance to read it from a different point of view, my bad, I was far to vague and I apologize if I mislead you. I was mostly referring to the denizens of youtube who post comments so devoid of intelligence and spellcheck that they should be punished for it, possibly with a steak tenderizer (that was a joke, if you didn't catch that). I ALWAYS have a sense of humor when it doesn't affect my own personal life (so yes, the Disney stuff does legitimately piss me off but then who's job doesn't piss them off?), again ask any of the mods or long time users. I communicate in a manner meant to display a significantly exaggerated form of my own feelings mixed with obnoxiously sarcastic humor, though admittedly my humor may contain far too many insults and references to Kroze's sexuality, which is not an insult but simply a statement of fact. Afterall, Kroze likes men.... maybe I should stop now.
Old 12-31-2009

Quote:
Ask any long-time YGOTAS.com forum goer, or any of the mods, and you'll learn that I'm half troll, half lunatic, and half egg mcmuffin.
So you're like a Mclunatruffin? I LOVE those. I just wish they wouldn't put on so much cream cheese.

As for the fandub itself... Yami's new voice alone makes it worth watching for me. Obviously I wish there were more episodes so I could watch them one after another, but eventually I assume there will be. Speaking of Yami, I do love Dan Green, but mainly for camp value. It's not that his Yami sounds too OLD, more like he just sounds too much like an interstellar being with vast cosmic powers born many lights years from our galaxy within the heart of a flaming sun. Project YGO's Yami, as I've said, reminds me of Johnny Yong Bosch, which is NOT a bad thing. At all.
Old 12-31-2009

@Titan-- Ok, this is going to sound stupid but . . . you're the guy who did "You'll Never Stop the Abridged"??? I love that song! I bust out laughing everytime that mp3 comes up on my iPod playlist "Abridged" (comes after "Ghost Nappa" and before "Brooklyn Rage").

. . . can we get an updated version?? :P
Old 12-31-2009

Quote:
Project YGO's Yami, as I've said, reminds me of Johnny Yong Bosch, which is NOT a bad thing. At all.
I can agree to that.
And I happen to love Johnny Yong Bosch.
Old 01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChouToshio View Post
@Titan-- Ok, this is going to sound stupid but . . . you're the guy who did "You'll Never Stop the Abridged"??? I love that song! I bust out laughing everytime that mp3 comes up on my iPod playlist "Abridged" (comes after "Ghost Nappa" and before "Brooklyn Rage").

. . . can we get an updated version?? :P
I'll release it along side.... it's sequel! Season 2 will be ending at MAGfest this weekend. I would have been there but my parents banned me from using their truck to get there. DX

I swear I'll meet LK one day....

PS
Johnny Yong Bosch is a bit of a prick apparently so in many ways, our VA is superior at least in the personality department. :P
Old 01-06-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
I wouldn't take it over the original dub, simply because I personally don't like it as much.
-OK, I don't bring this up to get involved in that conversation or anything, but because to me, this is to do with topic at hand, and so I must ask how you can like 4kids dub over any other vision of Yu Gi Oh, I do not hate 4kids like some people do, but still their Yu Gi Oh dub is woeful and the only reason I can see for anyone liking it, is because they could spend money on the visionals, in way others could not, as the they completely rewrote the story, censored out millions of important things and lets face it, cool parts, used some really annoying voice actors, and added in lots of really grating jokes to replace these things.

-But Most of all, they did the very thing I was on about earlier, to the worse degree, they took the intrigty away from the original writers script and replaced it all with their own one, which is just wrong.

=I mean with visionals, who cares, yer they make it look nice, but as this new Avatar film proved, it does not make great media, a great story does that. I mean yer they threw millions at it, but that didn’t improve the over-simplistic and predictable story, it didn’t improve the lack of back-stories to all characters outside maybe the hero, it didn’t save it from average actings (in fact made it worse in my opinion,) and did not save it from all its other problems. Yet a film like Withnail and I is still seen as cultural-classic 30 years on, despite having a begat which would today, equal about 1000 pounds, which probably less than most dictators now spend on their chair, why because had a great story and most importantly a great writer, who refused to let money man mess with it, even if it cost him those money men.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 01-06-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2010

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

The Yugioh dub isn't THAT bad >.> All the voices are fine (Except Mokuba and Mai's new ones), the english names are better, and ironically enough, Shadow Realm > Plain old death.
Old 01-06-2010
Possible Homersexual

I wouldn't say the 4kids dub is bad at all. I enjoyed it even when re-watching the later seasons. Seal of Oricalcos was my favorite arc. I just felt annoyed on how they would avoid saying death and stuff.

They could have at least implied it.
Old 01-19-2010

Blurb: F**K DINOSAURS!!!

If Titan's Fan dub goes as according to schedule, He'll get everything done that he wanted done around 2040.
Old 01-20-2010

why would anybody watch a dub? it's like a sex change operation, it's not the real thing and will never be
Old 01-20-2010

Because dubs tend to be great and are usually preffered over the original by people who don't think the japanese voices are better because they can't understand them without subtitles?

Also, how does dubbing anime make it fake?
Old 01-21-2010

no dubs generally suck ass, and I'm not only talking about English ones, German dubs are the world's worst

A: only the original version is the vision of the director (this alone is reason enough for me never ever to watch dubs)

B: only the original voices are the... well... original voices! (more important in live action, obviously)

C: mistranslations, lost double meanings, etc. (of course this also applies to subs but to a lesser extent)

just listen to how they pronounce "Shinji" in English dub NGE, it makes me want to puke

or how they pronounce Gendo Ikari (it's Ikari, not Ikari!) in Naruto TAS episode 3

actually, dubs are one of the roots of all that is wrong with this world, that phenomenon makes people accept and even like things that are, as you aptly called it, fake
Old 01-21-2010
Possible Homersexual

^- most common complaint coming from people who prefer the original dubs.

"THE ORIGINAL IS BETTAR THAN ANYTHANG ELSEH!11!!1"
Makes me chuckle a little.
Old 01-21-2010

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Denton View Post
why would anybody watch a dub? it's like a sex change operation, it's not the real thing and will never be
because I don't want to read an episode
it takes a lot away from the show, and if I look away for a sec I don't wanna miss what just happened
dialog is often important
Old 01-21-2010

It doesn't matter if it's not the real thing. I started off watching dubs because I didn't think I'd like subs. Lo and behold, I was wrong, but I still don't have a problem with dubs as long as they aren't painfully bad.
Old 01-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
because I don't want to read an episode
it takes a lot away from the show, and if I look away for a sec I don't wanna miss what just happened
dialog is often important
dubs are fake, people who prefer dubs cannot be taken seriously, end of discussion
Old 01-23-2010

Ok, seriously though-- how are anime/movies/other media made?

People make them.

How are dubs for those anime/movies/other media made?

People make them.

There's no guarantee that the original makers are always ones that have the most talent/experience/resources. There's also no guarantee that that original maker has a better sense for the audience, especially considering the dubbers are targeting a different audience than the original (moving into a different language and possibly culture dynamic).

Ultimately, the better one is better, and it's just an unfortunate side effect of culture that not everyone is versed in every language/culture which complicates it more (though sometimes people from outside the original culture end up liking it more than the original intended audience!).
Old 01-23-2010

Quote:
dubs are fake, people who prefer dubs cannot be taken seriously, end of discussion
Elitist's can't be taken seriously either.
Old 01-23-2010

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
cause you're just oozing of seriousness aincha?
Old 01-23-2010

Blurb: You would think I'd have learned by now, but no.

You want an awesome Dub?

Nerima Daikon Brothers. fucking A is it amazing
Old 01-23-2010

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

yeah those songs rock in english. To bad Vic didn't get to use his lovely singing voice
Old 01-23-2010
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
And you can? I must say your stupid ignorance is amusing.

Last edited by ThePRPD; 01-23-2010 at 10:30 PM.