This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2010

Blurb: You would think I'd have learned by now, but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamiangie View Post
yeah those songs rock in english. To bad Vic didn't get to use his lovely singing voice
Meh, Vic doesn't have a voice for the blues, not saying he's bad, just certain voices suit certain types of music, his falls outside of the blues slot.
Old 01-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePRPD View Post
And you can? I must say you're stupid ignorance is amusing.
Amen, dammit.
Old 01-24-2010
Possible Homersexual

Blurb: The MistakenLoner
Send a message via AIM to ThePRPD Send a message via MSN to ThePRPD

To add on: Sadly amusing.
Old 03-19-2010

Send a message via AIM to PBnSpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
Light sounds way cooler than Raito.
lol. I remember I watched Death ote in English and I hadn't seen like any anime in Japanese yet so when I tried to wath it in Japnese I was Like "OMG! His name changed!"...That was a while ago. Death Note had a really good dub though. As did Ouran High School Host Club, Air, Haruhi Suzumiya, Bleach, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, Lucky Star, One Piece, Tsubasa, and xxxHolic. My list is kinda long but I think people who don't like the dubs are normally like that because they are just close-minded. I watch most anme in Japanese now but I still watch the dubs a lot.
Old 03-19-2010

Blurb: Look Pimpin', I ain't playin'...!

Cowboy Bebop barely mentioned in here?! For shame! It is the posterchild of great dubs! A dub often regarded as better than the original! Even Shinichiro Watanabe himself liked the dub!

Although, good dubs are less of a big deal these days. They're much more common ever since dubs like Bebop's raised the bar, anime voice actors have vastle improved in both skill and abundance over the years, and then there's FUNimation: the plucky little company that went from the worst producer of English dubs to the best in the business. I mean, seriously, the Texas VA pool will take the worst shows and scripts given to them, and act their asses off in them. Then you've got the LA pool, with consistantly solid VAs like Steve Blum, Johnny Bosch, Jamieson Price, etc. Even the Canadian pool, who've put out some real cornball dubs, have turned out some solid gold material (Death Note and Black Lagoon come to mind).

These days, it's more suprising and rare to hear a bad dub than a good one.
Old 03-19-2010

Quote:
These days, it's more suprising and rare to hear a bad dub than a good one.
Yeah, but at the same time, there's not really a universal definition for what most people consider 'bad' - your average weeaboo would instantly write off every dub in existance as terrible without even giving it a chance, for example.
Most dubs I've heard have both good moments and bad moments - I recently watched through the dub for Haruhi, for example, and while it was decent and certainly watchable, there were certain characters that made me want to cry (Mikuru...).
I think the only dubs I've seen that were nigh-on flawless are the ones for Code Geass and Death Note, the latter in particular - admittedly, I've become more attached to them than I was originally with the subs.
Old 03-19-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
My list is kinda long but I think people who don't like the dubs are normally like that because they are just close-minded
As I once said to darkarcher, anyone who uses the term close minded has instantly forfeited all meaningful conversation and debate because it is a woefully misconstrued term which is mostly used by poeple who wish to sound enlightened by basically saying your wrong because don't consider beliefs outside your own right, despite the fact I am doing exactly same thing to you!
-To me there is nothing closed minded about having a strong sense of belief, because no matter who you are or how many poeple who condescendingly call closed minded you will have as they do, a strong sense of belief (the fact you call them closed minded for not understanding the idea of liking dubs, then you yourself state your belief showing your own complete lack of understanding of their side why cannot understand liking dubs more, makes great example of this, fact is they disagree with you, you disagree with them, doesn't make ether side closed minded, just means have belief)
=But then it must be asked, is it invariably any better to be a person who never able to stand behind his own convictions and beliefs?
-In my opinion (note word use here) no, because opinions are how we define our sense of self and create our own persona, having opinions is fine and believing those opinions is fine, even stating those opinions is fine (as world is dull place without them) and debating those opinions is fine, the act you put your own opinion proves the point I am attesting too, because this is all just opinion, there is no arbitratory line of right or wrong, there is merely like or dislike along varying scales.

-PS also if you look at the poeple who have said they prefer subs to dubs, most of them have not said that dubs are unwatchable, just that on the whole most of the time they do not consider dubs better than subs because of whatever reasons they have put forward, as in my case, I like to watch it with sense of the culture it came from and with the intent the actual writer gave it. Plus I love hearing languages which are not my own, and I just feel it is a mark of respect, however I never said I wouldn't watch dubs as I do, aspeically if watching it while doing work as need to give more attention than can afford to subs, but the only reason I would ever watch dubs in 90% of cases is because it is easier when have something like work on

PSS Though Ohera I would say the Code Greass dub is very good (along with many dubs, just not better than originals) I am still not sure why poeple love DN dub so much, it is not bad in anyway, still nothing special to it, in my view, in fact just same on level with a lot of more modern dubs, in that it actually follows the original without being stupidly literal about it

PSSS Lord Shm, to be fair that is good point and why do not feel is hate towards dubs there was when I was growing up and had the first "major" ones were coming out, where basically defamed the original, but it still in my opinion doesn't remove that special something that sub's have

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 03-19-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
Yeah, but at the same time, there's not really a universal definition for what most people consider 'bad' - your average weeaboo would instantly write off every dub in existance as terrible without even giving it a chance, for example.
Most dubs I've heard have both good moments and bad moments - I recently watched through the dub for Haruhi, for example, and while it was decent and certainly watchable, there were certain characters that made me want to cry (Mikuru...).
I think the only dubs I've seen that were nigh-on flawless are the ones for Code Geass and Death Note, the latter in particular - admittedly, I've become more attached to them than I was originally with the subs.
In the interest of disclosure, I don't watch alot of "Widget" anime series, which probably work better in Japanese (for obvious reasons). All I need from a dub, and all most of your average anime fans ask for in their dubs, are a cast of good actors who fit their characters well enough, with a translation that conveys what is intended properly enough, even if it isn't 100% accurate. That's all I ask, and that's what I get. Hell, I've seen some dubs so good I don't want to hear it in Japanese. Those dub voices ARE the characters. The Japanese voices will just sound like some Japanese people playing those characters. A combination of good casting, good acting, and speaking in my native language is enough to sell me to that voice and that character. I could never watch Solty Rei, for instance, in Japanese. Chris Sabat is Roy Revant, accept no substitutes. No man could top Bob Pappenbrook as J in Heat Guy J, as far as I'm concerned.

It's amazing what a skilled actor you understand can do.
Old 03-20-2010

Blurb: Wait what?
Send a message via MSN to Jaye

Im kind of amazed that only one person ahs mentioned Black Lagoon. Its by far the best dubbed anime I've ever listened to.
The voice acting was spot on and by and large they actually had the proper accents for all the different nationalities in the show.

This and anything with Crispin Freeman or Wendee Lee in it would sell an anime for me. I could listen to those two all day and never get tired of their voices.
Old 03-20-2010

Quote:
anyone who uses the term close minded has instantly forfeited all meaningful conversation and debate because it is a woefully misconstrued term which is mostly used by poeple who wish to sound enlightened by basically saying your wrong because don't consider beliefs outside your own right, despite the fact I am doing exactly same thing to you!
Hehe, I think you're exactly right here.

Quote:
I am still not sure why poeple love DN dub so much, it is not bad in anyway, still nothing special to it, in my view, in fact just same on level with a lot of more modern dubs, in that it actually follows the original without being stupidly literal about it
It's just solid all-round with very little to criticize. It does its job perfectly.

Quote:
Hell, I've seen some dubs so good I don't want to hear it in Japanese. Those dub voices ARE the characters. The Japanese voices will just sound like some Japanese people playing those characters. A combination of good casting, good acting, and speaking in my native language is enough to sell me to that voice and that character. I could never watch Solty Rei, for instance, in Japanese. Chris Sabat is Roy Revant, accept no substitutes. No man could top Bob Pappenbrook as J in Heat Guy J, as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah - I feel the same way about Braid Swaile as Light, Johnny Bosch as Lelouch and Kira Vincent-Davis as Lucy (Elfen Lied).
Old 03-20-2010

Blurb: Really, Hamlet, try the prozac.

I think people tend to choose whether or not they like dubs based on what they first watch the show with.

That said, I like the Full Metal Alchemist (original) dub much better than the Japanese, simply because in the Japanese the main characters sound like girls. I'm not a fan of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood because it's like all of the voice actors forgot how to act. (except you Vic, you are amazing). Maybe it gets better in later episodes? Also, Al sounds like a girl. Heck, I think he might be played by a girl this time!

I also prefer the Japanese Death Note to the english dub. The dub just sounds so over dramatic and silly to me, and loses a lot of the subtleties in Light's character that I loved.

Again, just my opinion. I don't think I've ever seen a bad dub. I've seen some that aren't so great, but nothing really bad.
Old 03-20-2010

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about English dubs; German dubs are mostly done well, though.

I prefer Kouichi's (Digimon Frontier) German voice over the Japanese one because, while Suzumura is great,his voice is too deep for a 11-years old boy. Sebastian Schulz, on the other hand, uses an adorable voice for Kouichi - it only gets deeper when he voices the evolutions. Reference video because that voice is extremly cute.

The German YGO dub is also awesomely done, in my opinion. I especially loved that they had seperate voice actors for Atem and Yuugi, as well as Ryou and Dark Bakura. While it makes sense to use the same, they are different characters, so different VAs work nicely.
Also, nobody ever mis-pronounced the Japanese names (Seto, Mokuba, Ishizu, ...).

X/1999 was even better, with a lot of famous VAs. Really nicely done.

While some German dubs are really bad (Naruto was plain awful), there are a lot of good ones, often as good as the original one.

And nobody will ever scream like Schulz does.
Old 03-21-2010

Blurb: DE ARIMASU!

Last Exile
Muishishi
5 Centimeters Per Second
Place Promised in Our Early Days
Samurai Champloo
s-CRY-Ed
Old 03-21-2010

Thumbs up First post woohoo

I just had to register and share, also to say thanks for some of the suggestions
my recommendation is Desert punk 'dub'. (Sunab?zu)

This anime gave me some genuine laughs not just the usual smirk others provide,
I had tried to watch the subbed version right after the first episode
and actually found the dubbed preferable in this case.

On a side note the main character 'Kanta' is voiced by Eric Vale who you might
recognize as Trunks in the DBZ series

Which back to topic as the OP had said, is so few and far between it's sad as most dubs are
cringeworthy affairs that lose most charm via interpretation rather than gain or add any.

I do hope you, guys give it a try, episode one is a bit meh compared to the later it gets
a lot more amusing

Additionally (i'm not sure if it's still on topic but) OnePiece has to be one of the worst dubs
I've come across they, have utterly butchered it not only the voiceacting but the scripting,
music and even some of the animation itself.

The 'Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged' remarks about 4kids about this seemingly
bizzare retardation they seem to inflict upon otherwise entertaining shows is right on the mark.
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity View Post
Additionally (i'm not sure if it's still on topic but) OnePiece has to be one of the worst dubs
I've come across they, have utterly butchered it not only the voiceacting but the scripting,
music and even some of the animation itself.

The 'Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged' remarks about 4kids about this seemingly
bizzare retardation they seem to inflict upon otherwise entertaining shows is right on the mark.[/I]
...You are aware FUNimation took it from 4Kids, and have produced a better dub, right?
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Shmeckie View Post
...You are aware FUNimation took it from 4Kids, and have produced a better dub, right?
blissfully not it seems, and I choose to keep it that way (thx for the info tho)
this is mainly because I enjoy the Manga more than the anime anyway.

I've already watched and enjoyed the movies subbed, and am not really one for
re-watching things unless they are truely exceptional

sometimes i check to see how well they pull off some of the
none filler in the show and compare it to what i had visualized while reading
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity View Post
blissfully not it seems, and I choose to keep it that way (thx for the info tho)
this is mainly because I enjoy the Manga more than the anime anyway.

I've already watched and enjoyed the movies subbed, and am not really one for
re-watching things unless they are truely exceptional

sometimes i check to see how well they pull off some of the
none filler in the show and compare it to what i had visualized while reading
So you're choosing not to watch a compotent and well-acted dub of One Piece while you complain about the long-dead 4Kids dub, even though you don't watch the anime...

How did you miss it at all?! It was years ago, and it was pretty big news.
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
So you're choosing not to watch a compotent and well-acted dub of One Piece while you complain about the long-dead 4Kids dub, even though you don't watch the anime...
I prefer subs over dubs (this is not really uncommon TBH) unless it's Bruce Lee or other such awesome films where it adds to the charm, and i have caught it every now and again in this form.

Quote:
How did you miss it at all?! It was years ago, and it was pretty big news.
As to not wanting to actively try and watch the dub, Thank Aversion Therapy due to watching far to many badly dubbed anime type things, that I tend to stay out of the loop and none caring at that about such news. (I also avoid AMVs and frag movies as you tend to know what to expect)

But every now and again you get a rare gem like Desert Punk (you may disagree to this but everyone has different tastes) and there are some of the other good mentions in this thread btw, that every now and again floats by the radar by chance or however, And they prove to be the exception to this rule.
Old 03-21-2010

FMA was the first dub I watched that was actually pretty good. :O
Sorry my post is so short. Truth be told, I don't watch anime all too much...
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espa Roba View Post
FMA was the first dub I watched that was actually pretty good. :O
Sorry my post is so short. Truth be told, I don't watch anime all too much...

FMA is indeed very watchable dubbed, try the new FMA 'brotherhood' (subbed ATM) if you haven't already, it's based on the Manga so the story is quite different (he's still intolerant about height discrimination thou) :D

Another good example of this if you watched the hellsing series, is the new 'hellsing ova' it is the same deal, first few episodes are basically the same.. then it changes quite drastically as it's faithful to the manga.

Last edited by sanity; 03-21-2010 at 11:23 PM.