This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2010

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Quote:
Shaman King (The anime is pretty bad, but the manga is awesome)
Wait, what?
Old 06-05-2010

In no particular order:
Elven Lied
Hunter x Hunter
Gintama
Durarara!!
Fairy Tail
Yu Yu Hakusho
Death Note
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Old 06-05-2010
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
Wait, what?
Let me put it this way. The original manga was about 300 chapters long. The anime tried to tell the same story in 68 episodes. The result was a really watered down version of the series, a lot of important character and plot points missing, and some of the coolest fights in the series lost.

That's why if you want to check out Shaman King, you should read the manga and not even bother with the anime.
Old 06-05-2010

The characters in the manga were perpetually pissed off over nothing, last I tried the manga.

Or was that piss poor translations? They ruin tons of great manga.
Old 06-05-2010
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

We may just have different tastes...
Old 06-09-2010

Blurb: Aliquis faber suae fortunae est.

I like the manga too ^^
But the anime has cut pieces out =/
Old 06-15-2010

Blurb: Is time free or priceless?

1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Soul Eater
2. Evangelion
3. Hellsing
4. Durarara!!
5. Rurouni Kenshin
6. FLCL
7. Fumoffu
8. Death Note
9. FMA Brotherhood
10. Monster
Old 06-18-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymagick711 View Post
1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Soul Eater
2. Evangelion
3. Hellsing
4. Durarara!!
5. Rurouni Kenshin
6. FLCL
7. Fumoffu
8. Death Note
9. FMA Brotherhood
10. Monster
Although I haven't seen everything on this list, I say its the one that most accurately reflects my tastes. I would add Baccano! and Rahxephon, but otherwise its a fine list.
Old 06-19-2010

1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2. Code Geass (I'm including r2 in this)
3. Eureka 7
4. Last Exile
5. FLCL
6. Cowboy Bebop
7. Samurai Champloo
8. Ghost in the Shell
9. Death Note (I actually prefer the manga)
10. Ouran High Host Club

I have other anime I like but I kind of ranked according to a combination of production values and story lines.

*scratches head* I need to watch Durarara and Baccano, methinks. I tried to get into the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but I just never got enough interest in it to watch more than a couple of episodes. Same thing with Lucky Star.

I would also like to take this time to note that the anime Inuyasha is possibly one of the most annoying things I have ever watched. Thank you for your time and have a good day.
Old 06-28-2010

Blurb: Face it, you are about as manly as a Square Enix character

My favourite anime in no particular order:

Mononoke
Kyo Kara Maoh
Claymore
Dragon Ball Z - up until the end of the Cell Saga, imho everything else after that sucked
Digimon - only the first two or three seasons
Axis Powers Hetalia - am I the only one who doesn't give two damns about how a lot of the newer fans are 'ruining' the series? Or maybe I just hate all the 'It's Popular Now It Sucks' FanDumb.
Bleach - I don't mind it, but I get sick of Ichigo and Aizen, and I swear the fillers were done just to troll the fandom. But I like the awesome fight scenes and Kenpachi Zaraki.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - I preferred the manga over the anime, considering the anime just skipped to fillers in the second season and didn't do the Acid Tokyo Arc and beyond! Dx
Old 07-01-2010

Blurb: When nothing goes right, go left.

1) Skip Beat!
2) Yu Gi Oh
3) Kuroshitsuji
4) Ouran High School Host Club
5) Itazura Na Kiss
6) Special A
7) Naruto
8) Inuyasha
9) Dance In The Vampire Bunce

Not in any order. And I haven't watched ten animes yet.
Old 07-02-2010

Blurb: "I hope the island doesn't swim away or something...that would ruin my day"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymagick711 View Post
1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Soul Eater
2. Evangelion
3. Hellsing
4. Durarara!!
5. Rurouni Kenshin
6. FLCL
7. Fumoffu
8. Death Note
9. FMA Brotherhood
10. Monster
I approve of this list!
Old 07-05-2010

Blurb: I'm a random windstorm. SHAKY SHAKY!
Send a message via MSN to PoisonXLilly

In no order (sorta)

1. Fruits Basket. Though, the manga was better. They f*k'ed big time with the anime.
2.Death Note. I loved the anime ending~
3. YuGiOh. Duh. -.-"
4. Zatch Bell
5. CLANNAD
6. Any Miyazaki films (they count as anime....right? I mean, it's a movie. Not a TV series.)
7. Bleach
8. Ouran High School Host Club (Eh. I just started watching it. It's a bit...okay, way dramatic, but it's okay. >.>" )
9. Hikaru no Go!
10. Fullmetal Alchemist (Reading the manga. Havn't started the anime. It's......okay, I guess. It doesn't make much sense and some stuff isn't explained very well in the begining)
Old 07-05-2010

Blurb: Fah Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonXLilly View Post
In no order (sorta)

1. Fruits Basket. Though, the manga was better. They f*k'ed big time with the anime.
2.Death Note. I loved the anime ending~
3. YuGiOh. Duh. -.-"
4. Zatch Bell
5. CLANNAD
6. Any Miyazaki films (they count as anime....right? I mean, it's a movie. Not a TV series.)
7. Bleach
8. Ouran High School Host Club (Eh. I just started watching it. It's a bit...okay, way dramatic, but it's okay. >.>" )
9. Hikaru no Go!
10. Fullmetal Alchemist (Reading the manga. Havn't started the anime. It's......okay, I guess. It doesn't make much sense and some stuff isn't explained very well in the begining)
Think you got Fullmetal Alchemist and Zatch Bell mixed up there.
Old 07-05-2010

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonXLilly View Post
In no order (sorta)

This.
Old 07-05-2010

Blurb: Aliquis faber suae fortunae est.

This ?
I love the songs from Fruits Basket
Old 07-05-2010

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

A statement demonstrating agreement with the previous or indicated statement.

In otherwords: Yes, the Fruits Basket manga was great. Yes, the anime didn't quite live up to it. :)

The songs were good, though.
Old 07-15-2010

I don't know my top ten but I have a few I like above the rest
1. Sayonara zetsubou sensei
2. Higurashi no koro ni
3. Zero notsukaima

that's the ones I can think of at least...
Old 11-12-2010

Blurb: urban

My top ten animes are:

Dragon Ball z
One piece
naruto
Inuyasha
Dance In The Vampire Bunce
Death Note
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop
and the last that i love to watch The prince of tennis. This is my favorite anime among all.
Old 11-12-2010

Updated list.

10) Chrono Crusade
May be last on this list, but still great. Unlike most people, I don't see the anime ending as horribly inferior. Having the [ villain pretty much win ]is nice for a change of pace.

9) Rozen Maiden
While I prefer the manga, the anime is still great. Too bad it's discontinued, it would be awesome to see Kirakishou for more than two seconds.

8) Death Note
Brought down by the second act, but still great overall.

7) Higurashi No Naku Koro ni
Creepy as hell first act, and the mystery around the story was great. Then there's the comedic episodes, which are pretty hilarious.

6) Katekyo Hitman Reborn
One of the better shonen series out there. Improbable weapons, Mafia babies, Dying Will Tsuna, this series loves piling on the awesome. The more light hearted episodes can drag on a bit though.

5) Pandora Hearts
Pretty cool. The anime's ending was rushed and pretty bad, which is a shame since it pretty much followed the manga perfectly.

4) High School Of The Dead
Excessive panty shots aside, I absolutely love this show. High Schoolers VS zombies? Hell yeah!

3) Kanon
First anime I remember getting somewhat emotional. I loved every character, and was pretty humorous too.

2) Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan
Freaking Hilarious. Having only eight episodes is a crime against humanity.

1) Clannad
Absolutely amazing, and mixes comedy and serious business pretty well. Like Kanon, except somehow better.
Old 11-17-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

Just finished FMA Brotherhood, and it is DEFINITELY way up there. wonderful anime.
Old 11-17-2010
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

I haven't seen enough anime to make a proper top ten list (I'm not including all 17 films in the Studio Ghibli collection - just series')

But here are the ones I've seen

Love Hina
Rozen Maiden
Tora Dora
Ranma 1/2
Death Note
Dragon ball
Dragonball Z
Pokémon
Step Up Love Story (It's an OVA - almost a hentai, more like a "lovers guide" - wtf)

Ones I started watching but never got past a few episodes:
Elfen Lied
Dragonball GT
Yu-Gi-Oh

Currently watching:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (I wish I could get hold of more than volume 1 - this is a freakin awesome anime)

Out of all of these, I guess I would order them thus:
10) Ranma 1/2 - Manga was absolutely amazing, anime was utter shite
9) Pokémon - Watched it when I was a kid
8) Dragon ball - Couldn't get into it that much
7) Elfen Lied - never actually finished this series, but it was interesting
6) Dragonball Z - The main anime my friends and I watched as a kid
5) Love Hina - I really enjoyed this series
4) Death Note - I absolutely loved this series, and was not put off by the second act
3) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Currently watching, it's so hyperactive, and I love it ^_^
2) Rozen Maiden - One of my all time favourites, it's such a shame they never did a third season
1) Tora Dora - WINRAR! There's not much I would fanboy over, but this series is one of them

The ones not on the above list are considered by me to be too crap to include.
Given that I included the Ranma 1/2 anime at number 10, you have a good idea of how shit I thought Step Up Love Story, Dragonball GT and Yu-Gi-Oh were
Old 12-26-2010

Blurb: Fear my bitch curl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe01 View Post
My top ten animes are:

Dragon Ball z
One piece
naruto
Inuyasha
Dance In The Vampire Bunce
Death Note
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop
and the last that i love to watch The prince of tennis. This is my favorite anime among all.
Umm, you do know that Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't anime, right? It was just created in an anime style, you know, how they make the characters look. Either way, I agree, it's a great show.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

I'm bored so I'll give a very extensive reasoning for each one I put down on the list, some are here because I loved them when I was younger, and just couldn't leave them out.

So without further ado;

Well, I'll narrow it down, I only watched Pokemon when there was 150 (151 counting Mew if I am correct). I remember beginning to watch this show as a kid when I got Pokemon Blue for my birthday on my ancient gameboy, until then I had a Game Gear, which didn't have Pokemon.
The show was like nothing I had seen before, this was back in 1997, where the only anime's you'd find on TV was Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z, around this time they had begun to dub others, like Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Medabots and Digimon.
But Pokemon is on this list because of the nostalgic value and the fact it really introduced me to anime, and video games in general.
Prior to that, video games weren't owned by many people, I can distinctively remember being one of 5 kids who actually owned a video game system.
The show itself later got tiring and I stopped watching, just before they started adding more Pokemon and I realized the show wasn't going anywhere. The games didn't evolve either and I lost interest by time I was 11.
It's boring and predictable all the time, but was insanely popular when I was young and I was part of the craze.
So it just had to go here, as number 10.

I first read the Bleach manga, up til number 10, getting them at a used book store on a lunch hour when I was working last fall. I watched the anime later, though still preferred the manga. Bleach seemed to have a neat angle, but quickly dissolved into the whole "explosions and screams" and I lost interest.
My problem with it, like Pokemon, is I didn't feel it went anywhere (like any fighting anime) things get bigger and bigger, and so do the characters, and people who were once superhuman, though still comprehend-able to the common man, become walking gods almost, and it looses a lot of charm.
I still enjoyed the anime and the manga (the one's I read), so it gets number 9 (it was still better then Love Hina).

Ceres was actually the first manga I had ever read (at 19) and it took me about a day to figure out how to actually read the damn thing.
When I finally got to it, I begun to really enjoy it. I always like a twisting plot and Ceres does that in a lot of ways, all from a folk story most everyone has heard (as most cultures have a version of it).
For those who don't know its about a young woman named Aya Mikage, and her twin brother Aki, who both have turned 16, and instead of a party, Aya was tested to see if she was the Celestial Maiden reborn (it was the Mikage family of many generations ago who stole her robes and she is still wanting to kill them all. There's more but I don't want to give too much away...

This is where the list really gets serious and I leave Nostalgia behind to get to my core favorites.
The Slayers is a, sort of D&D inspired fantasy story-Lina, sorceress (voiced by the lady who voices Serenity) goes places and blows shit up with money, with her friend Gourry (voiced by the guy who voices Kaiba) infact there is a lot of people who voice Yugioh characters in this anime (I heard Lumis' voice in there too). I first heard of this in a weird, silent advertisement on one of my Dragonball Z DVD's, and watched an episode soon after-then bought a DVD set on sale. It has a lot of comedic moments and explosions, which go oddly well together. I enjoy the dub more because the jokes work better and I find the voices recognizable.

Yes, I put this here, and I really do enjoy the show, even still. There is a weird charm about it (though I freely admit to hating the whole virtual world thing and walking the dragons arc). It started airing here when I was 12-13, in grade 8, and the cards began their debut at my school right away. It had a silliness, but I loved the whole ancient egypt thing, and I always enjoyed seeing Kaiba loose. Recently I tried watching it in Japanese and felt it wasn't the same, it didn't have at all the same feel the 4Kids dub had, which wasn't all bad, things considering.
I have seen GX and 5D's, and this won't shock anybody, but I didn't like them. GX was actually really promising in the start, I thought they were going to take a completely different, and oddly realistic, direction with the show, but it dissolved very quickly (and I also REALLY hate Chazz). 5D's...well...

Need I say more?

I had to put a harem somewhere on my list, and Shuffle! is it, and I am sure you are all assuming why I did (boobies) but no, actually Shuffle! is pretty deep, all things considering. At first it seems Rin is a spineless wuss like all harem male leads, but we soon find out he is living with a completely insane woman (Kaede) so there's a logical reason he doesn't go for her (we actually see she tried to kill him as kids-long story). Then Sia and Nerine show up and things only go downhill as everyone wants to be with him, he has to deal with his own feelings, the fact if he chooses Sia or Nerine-he'd be king of something, his supposed "hidden loli lust" for Primula (who is said to only be a year younger then him-BULLSHIT!).
I watched both the Japanese and English dub, and I must say the dub is so much better.
The characters sound uniquely different, each suiting their personality and really letting us know a lot about them even if they say something casual like "oh hey Rin" the jokes are funny and sound realistic, and really gives the series a more, well realistic touch (I realize there is elves and princesses and a robotic loli)...Its a LOT deeper then one would ever think looking at it, and one of my favorites because of that.

This anime, is very strange. The dub is completely different for the original, leaving people sort of split on how they feel about this one.
If you know it, you know why its so hilarious (it feels like an abridged series, and sort of is, just not abridged). The dub has very little to do with the original, and for good reason, I thought the original Japanese sucked. Boring, predictable and tiring, the dub gives a bland story a great splash of hilarity (and the lady who voiced Asa from Shuffle! is in it too).
It makes a lot of jokes about anime, meme's, movies, all sorts-well worth watching an episode to get a good laugh.

Now you might be wondering why I didn't put Dragonball Z here, as I often talk about it more, but truth be told, I think Dragonball is the better show (and manga). Characters were more well rounded, humans were useful, nothing was horribly overpowered and Goku wasn't needed for everything. It also wasn't 20 episodes of fighting and screaming, there was more of a plot and it was quite fun and enjoyable. Dragonball Z was good, but I just like Dragonball more.

This is an anime I hold in quite high regard, as you all know. It begun my desire to collect dolls, and my overall introduction to anime in my adult years. So why isn't it number 1? It never finished.
Yes the show ended after season 2 with no conclusion, and the manga ended in an even more annoying way (I know there's another manga going but its not in english yet, and hasn't ended either). After all what happens it just...doesn't go anywhere, it intended too, but never did for whatever reason.
I prefear the dub in this as well, because I can never tell who is talking in the Japanese version (and too much desu).
Most all of you know why I love Rozen Maiden, so on to number 1...

aka Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?

Yes, this is my favorite anime, When They Cry (I call it by the english name as I've only seen the dub, which I find some of the voices distracting as 3 of the voice actresses who are in Rozen Maiden, are in this one too).
The reason I like it so much, well I enjoy mysteries and seeing the paranoia manifest in people. I like horror but in a much more psychological way, when you don't know if its them or you, or if anyone else even exist to destroy you and you are simply destroying yourself.
When one never is sure who is the enemy...Its refreshing to see...
I don't have much to say as I am still watching it but it's got me hooked!

Well there is my top 10, that killed an hour-I sleep now
Old 01-03-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Xanada nice and well rounded review there ^^, certainly inspired me to watch few of them:-<5 star>

Also totally agree on Pokemon, ok it sucks, but it sucks in way that all nostgiatic things suck because when we were kids, we didn't realise it sucked lol but then after first league ended I two lost interest as thing just didn't go anyway

Actually totally agree with you on bleach, Dragon Ball, Yu Gi and Rozen as well (though none would be in my top 10, I feel same way about them)

=The only thing don't agree with you on is "When they Cry" don't get me wrong, I know lots of people love this anime and I even I wouldn't say it is bad, I just think when have such cool plot-device it could have been so much better if the writers had clear idea of what anime they wanted to make rather than trying to comfortability force 3 or 4 types together at once or at least that is what I think and I appear to be in sub-group of opinion here lol

PS also though I can understand your frustration with sub's being hard to differentiate, when people talk in different language/accent to you, can take bit of practise getting to use to differentiating voices, but seriously is worth it if stick with it
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru

Uhhhh, let's see...

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Dragonball Z
3. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
4. Fist of the North Star
5. Death Note
6. Fate/stay night
7. Fullmetal Alchemist
8. Durarara
9. Code Geass
10. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I guess that sums things ups.
Old 01-03-2011

10. Abridged?
9. Outlaw Star
8. Wolf's Rain
7. Mushishi
6. Death Note
5. FLCL
4. Noein
3. Cowboy Bebop
2. Toradora
1. Jigoku Shoujo
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: This blurb allows me to defy the page's symmetry. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post

=The only thing don't agree with you on is "When they Cry" don't get me wrong, I know lots of people love this anime and I even I wouldn't say it is bad, I just think when have such cool plot-device it could have been so much better if the writers had clear idea of what anime they wanted to make rather than trying to comfortability force 3 or 4 types together at once or at least that is what I think and I appear to be in sub-group of opinion here lol
Did you watch season two (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai)? Not sure if you're referring to the fact that the arcs seem to repeat in the first season, but in the second season it all comes together.
Old 01-03-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyG57 View Post
Did you watch season two (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai)? Not sure if you're referring to the fact that the arcs seem to repeat in the first season, but in the second season it all comes together.
I think you have misunderstood me here, I was not criticising the plot, I thought plot had the foundations to be fantastic but in my limited and uneducated opinion, the way it was put together in terms of theming, simply didn't do it justice because they didn't know if they wanted a comedy, a dark murder mystery, a romantic setting, a kawai/chibi show or plain mind fucker...etc, so instead they tried to mash everything in there together.
-Now this isn't an instant fail, but if going to do it, then need to do it brilliantly, sadly I don't think did so here, this meant that whole thing was felt unsure of itself and very uncomfortable: The cutie scenes did not traverse well into the dark scenes; the began mystery lost and confused rather than abstract and ambiguous; the love scenes were left feeling forced and the comedy became very urrrrrr (sorry simply only sound which can express my feelings there) lol...etc
-Don't get me wrong I realise lots love it and I don't think it is a bad anime by any means, I just think it has lot of problems which meant it could and should have been so much more, and this ironically could have been achieved if they had tried to do a little less

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 01-03-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Xanada nice and well rounded review there ^^, certainly inspired me to watch few of them:-<5 star>

Also totally agree on Pokemon, ok it sucks, but it sucks in way that all nostgiatic things suck because when we were kids, we didn't realise it sucked lol but then after first league ended I two lost interest as thing just didn't go anyway

Actually totally agree with you on bleach, Dragon Ball, Yu Gi and Rozen as well (though none would be in my top 10, I feel same way about them)

PS also though I can understand your frustration with sub's being hard to differentiate, when people talk in different language/accent to you, can take bit of practise getting to use to differentiating voices, but seriously is worth it if stick with it
I can't stand how most Japanese voice actresses sound. I don't much like the Japanese language either
English is my first language so I react more to the dubs because I know the language
Shuffle! is a perfect example to how something can be better with a simple language change (jokes become funny instead of awkward or just stupid) the voices fit the characters much better and it becomes a tad more realistic