This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010

Default The Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Thread

For those of you who aren't aware yet, a new Yu-Gi-Oh! series was announced earlier this month. A manga will be released in Japan this next spring along with an anime.

The main character is named Yuma. He looks about the same age as Jaden and is apparently a delinquent in school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQS0EIX2u0
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_ZEXAL_-_Rank_001
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Zexal

Please do share your thoughts!

Last edited by AzzyFox; 07-25-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 12-30-2010

Blurb: TheOcean is waving.

in space?
Old 12-31-2010

Blurb: Fear my bitch curl!

He sounds a lot like Jaden; bad in school and he kind of looks like him? This is preposterous! I can't believe the creators would do such a thing.

I think the show will probably be liked less by American audiences less than 5D's, which is really saying a lot, regardless if the show is interesting or not. I think it might be good, but that's because I've given every Yu-Gi-Oh spin-off a chance and ended up liking them. Although, the card games in space thing does seem a little too ridiculous.
Old 12-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Kaiba View Post
He sounds a lot like Jaden; bad in school and he kind of looks like him? This is preposterous! I can't believe the creators would do such a thing.

I think the show will probably be liked less by American audiences less than 5D's, which is really saying a lot, regardless if the show is interesting or not. I think it might be good, but that's because I've given every Yu-Gi-Oh spin-off a chance and ended up liking them. Although, the card games in space thing does seem a little too ridiculous.
In space? I haven't heard of any sort of plot.
Old 12-31-2010

What I've heard about the plot is that he plays card games in space to save earth from aliens. That's just odd lol.
Old 12-31-2010

Don't always go from what you hear in rumors. =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylnuRmRhKoo

There's no shred of footage that remotely resembles outer space in the trailers I've been seeing.
Old 01-02-2011

*sigh* These spin-offs are really starting to annoy me. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters was genius, but I feel these spin-offs are there only to keep up the production of the trading cards. >.>
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonsWithHats View Post
*sigh* These spin-offs are really starting to annoy me. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters was genius, but I feel these spin-offs are there only to keep up the production of the trading cards. >.>
They probably are, but oh well. I like all the three series that they have made so far. So, I might just give this new one a chance.
Old 01-02-2011

Blurb: Monster Hunter
Send a message via AIM to AsteriskRocks Send a message via MSN to AsteriskRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzyFox View Post
For those of you who aren't aware yet, a new Yu-Gi-Oh! series was announced earlier this month. A manga will be released in Japan this next spring along with an anime.

The main character is named Yuma. He looks about the same age as Jaden and is apparently a delinquent in school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQS0EIX2u0
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_ZEXAL_-_Rank_001
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Zexal

Please do share your thoughts!
B-A-K-U-G-A-N character design.

Quote:
Precisely.
Old 01-02-2011

Aside from the supposed space theme, the dude made me think of Astro Boy for some reason. Maybe it's the hair. Whatever. I just don't like him.
Quote:
Precisely.
Seconded.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: I hear people wanting something..... ME!
Send a message via MSN to iJaden-Eph-Aster Send a message via Yahoo to iJaden-Eph-Aster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonsWithHats View Post
Why do they annoy you? All three series are good, I even thought 5D's had a way better plot than DM. Yes I said I think CARDGAMES ON MOTORCYCLES! has a better plot than Duel Monstes.

Thus, Zexal probably won't be crap if CARDGAMES ON MOTORCYCLES was amazing. But I can see why people won't watch it.
Old 01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJaden-Eph-Aster View Post
Why do they annoy you? All three series are good, I even thought 5D's had a way better plot than DM. Yes I said I think CARDGAMES ON MOTORCYCLES! has a better plot than Duel Monsters.
I actually have to agree with you there; I enjoyed the plot for 5Ds much more than Duel Monsters. I love the first series but looking back on it, the so-called "plot" just kept being rehashed over and over.

Duelist Kingdom:
-New adventure, high stakes.
-Yugi, Kaiba, and Joey play some card games.
-Yugi moves on to face the villain.
-Yugi beats villain, who becomes good.

Battle City:

Waking the Dragons:
-Yugi moves on to face the villain (and Kaiba loses during the duel, what a shock).

See the pattern?

No offense meant to the original series, but the same plot devices being reused left a lot of people begging for something different. Kaiba is easily the most annoying anti-hero ever conceived and Tristan and Tea were just a big LOAD. They rarely did anything useful or relevant to the story.

And then we got GX and it was gooooood. =D (Admittedly I haven't finished watching it but I have seen a few episodes and I like most of what I've seen thus far.) The only real problem I had with Jaden is that he stayed in Slifer Red when he dueled like an Obelisk Blue.

Overall I thought GX was a welcome addition to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise and when I heard about 5Ds during LK's abridged series, I was curious. Card games on motorcycles? Why not? We've already had card games on planes, card games on trains, and card games atop a canyon.

Really, it may seem like a silly idea, but those who pay attention know that Speed World is the real reason that the 5Ds characters duel on motorcyles; it grants players extra spell power. And I absolutely loved the story of 5Ds: Lone hero seeks freedom for himself and his friends, all the while trying to fulfill his destiny as a Signer. The story was darker, there were no silly friendship speeches... There was a lot to like about this show except for the 4Kids dub.
I loved the characters as well. Yusei reminded me a lot of Atem, except Yusei was far less hammy, which I liked. Jack pulls off the anti-hero role far better than Kaiba, in my opinion.

If you ask me, I'd say the shows have been gradually getting better, not worse. I have high hopes that Zexal will be a success, and whether my hopes fade or not, I'm going to give the show a chance and watch it, start to finish.

Last edited by AzzyFox; 01-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2011

Send a message via MSN to iJaden-Eph-Aster Send a message via Yahoo to iJaden-Eph-Aster

Quote:
The series is set in the near future. Yuma Tsukumo is the number one bad boy at his school. Something unexpected happens as Ryoga Kamishiro challenges him to a Duel. When the mysterious entity Astral appears before them a new legend begins.
I thought this was a funny thing off of Zexal's wikia page. The main character is a bad boy.
Old 01-06-2011

Blurb: Oh no, too many children's card games!

I'd like to see a new series based around games.

Not card games, just regular games, like the first.
Or at least including games other than Duel Monsters.
Old 01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermewX300 View Post

Kinda like in season zero?
Old 01-07-2011

Quote:
I actually have to agree with you there; I enjoyed the plot for 5Ds much more than Duel Monsters. I love the first series but looking back on it, the so-called "plot" just kept being rehashed over and over.

Duelist Kingdom:

Battle City:

Waking the Dragons:
-Yugi moves on to face the villain (and Kaiba loses during the duel, what a shock).

See the pattern?

No offense meant to the original series, but the same plot devices being reused left a lot of people begging for something different. Kaiba is easily the most annoying anti-hero ever conceived and Tristan and Tea were just a big LOAD. They rarely did anything useful or relevant to the story.

And then we got GX and it was gooooood. =D (Admittedly I haven't finished watching it but I have seen a few episodes and I like most of what I've seen thus far.) The only real problem I had with Jaden is that he stayed in Slifer Red when he dueled like an Obelisk Blue.

Overall I thought GX was a welcome addition to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise and when I heard about 5Ds during LK's abridged series, I was curious. Card games on motorcycles? Why not? We've already had card games on planes, card games on trains, and card games atop a canyon.

Really, it may seem like a silly idea, but those who pay attention know that Speed World is the real reason that the 5Ds characters duel on motorcyles; it grants players extra spell power. And I absolutely loved the story of 5Ds: Lone hero seeks freedom for himself and his friends, all the while trying to fulfill his destiny as a Signer. The story was darker, there were no silly friendship speeches... There was a lot to like about this show except for the 4Kids dub.
I loved the characters as well. Yusei reminded me a lot of Atem, except Yusei was far less hammy, which I liked. Jack pulls off the anti-hero role far better than Kaiba, in my opinion.

If you ask me, I'd say the shows have been gradually getting better, not worse. I have high hopes that Zexal will be a success, and whether my hopes fade or not, I'm going to give the show a chance and watch it, start to finish.
Yes!!! An unignorant person that gives the show a chance. THANK YOU!

Also, Jaden/Judai stayed in Slifer Red despite his extreme talent because he just likes the color red, is lazy, and thinks it looks better on him than blue. Seriously, he said that in a subbed episode.
Old 01-07-2011

Blurb: If I save time, when do I get it back?

^_^

Last edited by Ishikawa Oshro; 01-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2011
Maka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermewX300 View Post

I MOTHERFUCKING A-GREE

The card games are just annoying now. All it is, is an excuse to produce more cards in the real world so people can sell them on ebay, collect them, play with them, fap to them AND ALL THAT CRAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_kaiba
Yes!!! An unignorant person that gives the show a chance. THANK YOU!
I'm not giving the show a chance because it fails to look like an interesting show. And I especially dislike the art style. i.e THAT KIDS FACE.

Last edited by YaoiMeowmaster; 01-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2011

Man, the only thing I dislike so far about this new show is that it has put 5D's to an end! Why? This is unfair. Also, I think people may frown upon that show because it's coming right after 5D's, which is arguably the best Yu-Gi-Oh series. I think the creators messed up when they made it directly for kids. All the previous shows weren't so why start now? I don't know, I just don't understand why they would do something like that.
Old 01-08-2011

Blurb: Still too lazy to do anything
Send a message via MSN to Anreyla

Quote:

Duelist Kingdom:

Battle City:

Waking the Dragons:
While I liked 5D's, I don't think it compares to the original at all as far as plot or characters go. (And I just have this glaring assumption that you're a dubwatcher) If you really want to see how the plots of each season relate to each other, here:

Duelist Kingdom:
-New adventure, high stakes? Sure, why not, it's a lot of money on the line
-Yuugi, Kaiba, and Jounouchi play card games (well duh, it's a tournament about card games)
-Yuugi first faces Yami no Bakura who wants his Puzzle
-Yuugi then Pegasus, who wants to be able to bring back his dead wife
-Pegasus DIES [killed by Yami no Bakura in the manga]

Battle City:
-They basically join for fun, and because Kaiba taunts Atem/Yami no Yuugi
-Yuugi, Kaiba, and Jounouchi play card games (.. In a card game tournament)
-Malik wants to kill Yuugi/Atem because he thinks Atem was responsible for his father's death
-Yami no Malik wants to kill EVERYONE [Gets killed, basically, by Atem/Malik/Rishid]
-Malik becomes good because the Pharaoh saved his life

Noah/Big Five:
-Made up by the animators, whoo
-High stakes, sure, they could lose their bodies
-Big Five members die, I assume
-Gozaburo is defeated
-Noah realizes he's a human, not a machine, he dies

Waking Of The Dragon.. I assume that's the shitty fourth season the animators pulled out of their ass:
-Stupid made up crap
-Card gamez
-Atem/Kaiba face that annoying Dartz guy
-Some other shit happens, I don't really care, that season blew

Millennium World:
-Not really many 'card games,' they battle with Kas at this point
-Touzouku-ou Bakura (or in the case of the anime's fail, Yami no Bakura in his body) wants to kill Atem and revive Zorc to destroy the world
-Yami no Bakura is defeated
-Yuugi and Atem have their Ceremonial Duel, Atem's soul returns.

The obvious reason why some of these things are the same is because.. It's a show about card games. So of course there's gonna be card games throughout, that's just a given. But they're not 'exactly' the same, the characters are very deep and complex and really, I didn't see that same complexity in 5Ds, even if I did like it a lot. Yuusei is the main BAMF character who's kind, Jack is the one who betrayed his friends to become a King, Godwin was the big bad guy who was a bit fucked up in the head. Yeah, okay. The characters weren't terrible, but they could've been better.

As far as Yuugiou Zexal goes. Do not want. We've had enough already, 5D's was supposed to be the last Yuugiou.

Last edited by Anreyla; 01-08-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2011

Seriously guys, cut the bitching about it. If you don't want to watch it, fine. No-one's gonna force you. I'm gonna watch it 'cos I give every spin-off a chance. I don't care if it's shit, my interest in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise will still make me want to watch it.

On a side note, I bet half the people who have said they aren't gonna watch it actually will and no matter how good it is will bitch about it somewhere ¬¬
Old 01-09-2011

Blurb: Still too lazy to do anything
Send a message via MSN to Anreyla

So now apparently stating my opinion on it is automatically 'bitching'? I thought 5D's would be stupid when I first heard about it, and then I watched it and ended up liking it. If I like Zexal, that's all fine and dandy, but we don't need another Goddamn Yuugiou series, they've nearly bled it dry as it is.
Old 01-10-2011

Blurb: Oh no, too many children's card games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJaden-Eph-Aster View Post
Kinda like in season zero?
Yeah. Like Moster Fight, and Yoyos and stuff.
Old 01-10-2011

Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg

*Witholds judgement until there are actual episodes released*
Old 01-10-2011

Blurb: If I save time, when do I get it back?

Just go with it. The anime means more cards which means the card game lives on longer! I'm happy

Though konami has already shown they don't need the show in order to release new cards or archetypes. Aka lightsworns p.o.d etc etc
Old 02-09-2011

Blurb: I have a manly scar all the way down the side of my face.
Send a message via MSN to Florence The Thief

hmm, it might work. We'll just have 2 see
Old 03-07-2011

Blurb: LASER EYES!!!!

Quote:
Don't always go from what you hear in rumors. =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylnuRmRhKoo

There's no shred of footage that remotely resembles outer space in the trailers I've been seeing.
maybe everyone assumes it takes place in space because that one guy called astral is from another dimension? and i guess he kinda looks like an alien. i don't know
Old 03-10-2011

Come to think of it, I don't even know where I had heard that it was going to take place in space. I just remember seeing someone freaking out about something and calling it cardgames in space. I hope they don't duel each other in little spaceship things they have on Star Wars. That would just be fail.
Old 03-13-2011

Send a message via MSN to Judai Yuki

I, personally, think it looks just silly.
But I also thought 5Ds would be awful, and I'm quite enjoying it.
I'll probably watch it, though, and see how it goes.
I'm sure it won't be /that/ bad.

I think it'll be well liked by the younger fans who know dick all about the original series.
That's usually how it happens.
Old 03-13-2011

I just want to know what's up with his hair. Are those red spiky things hair or some kind of accessory attachment? They have an unnatural shine to them.....Seriously, I think his hair defies certain laws of physics.