This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

There is an awesome recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream without a hand crank that I just tried, and it works really well! Plus it's really simple.

3 cups cream
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
one 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

Put all the ingredients in a bowl, and whip on high speed with a hand mixer for 3-5 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Pour into a lined (plastic wrap or glad press and seal wrap work well) loaf pan, and freeze for 8 hours.

ENJOY!

Edit: I actually prefer the texture after only freezing for 4 hours - or leave it out for a few minutes before serving.

Last edited by musigal; 09-20-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2012
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Hey guys, I found a great way to build up your arm muscles without the need to constantly fap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
There is an awesome recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream without a hand crank that I just tried, and it works really well! Plus it's really simple.

3 cups cream
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
one 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

Put all the ingredients in a bowl, and whip on high speed with a hand mixer for 3-5 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Pour into a lined (plastic wrap or glad press and seal wrap work well) loaf pan, and freeze for 8 hours.

ENJOY!
It sounds tastier as well!

Old 07-28-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

what? just use a hand mixer's whisk. totally effortless!
Old 07-28-2012

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusRocks View Post
Hey guys, I found a great way to build up your arm muscles without the need to constantly fap:

It sounds tastier as well!

THIS WAS A CLEAN THREAD YOU BASTARD
Old 07-29-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

This is the banana bread I grew up on, and I believe to be the best in the world!

Best Banana Bread

1/3 cup margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 overly ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup water
1 2/3 cups flour (all-purpose. Do not use self-rising flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Oven - 350 degrees F.

Grease the bottom of a 9" metal loaf pan.
Using a hand-mixer, mix margarine and sugar. Add eggs and blend until uniform. Add bananas and water, mixing for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients, and stir with a spoon until everything is just moistened. Pour into pan.
Put in pre-heated oven on center rack and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Before slicing, loosen edges of bread by running a knife around the edge of the pan.
You're going to want to wait until it's cool to slice it, but when you do, it will be NOMMY!
Old 07-29-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

yep, and just as good as a lot of things =)
Old 07-30-2012

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOcean View Post
poor man's pesto: [ Have you seen the price of pine nuts these days? ]

1 cup of fresh basil, cleaned and packed
1 cup of baby spinach or other green, cleaned and packed
2/3rds a cup of whole, unsalted cashews
olive oil to taste, start with a 1/4 cup
2 cloves of garlic, or garlic to taste (i go heavy on it)

Macerate the cashews first, otherwise this takes much longer. Once they're chunky, crumbly, or near dust (depending on the texture you want) add the greens (don't forget to wash and dry them first!), and pulse them to oblivion, with either a blender or a food processor. Add the olive oil while you do this, it will both weight down the greens into the blades, and help blend everything together, add more if the leaves are being especially dry. When you're done you'll have about half a cup of tasty pesto.

Note that due to cashews being the texture they are in the first place, this pesto will be a bit thicker than normal.

I am an idiot. Add half a cup of parm cheese to this.
Old 08-21-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Tried this recipe that said it was a copy-cat of Panda Express' orange chicken. It doesn't taste the same as Panda's, but it is SUPER GOOD

2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, skinned (preferably thigh pieces)
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
white pepper to taste (about a tablespoon)
oil (for frying)
1 cup cornstarch PLUS
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 teaspoon minced garlic
crushed hot red chilies to taste (about a tablespoon)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/4 cup water

***Orange Chicken Sauce***
Zest of 2 oranges
3 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoon water
10 tablespoons sugar
10 tablespoons white vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
Cut chicken pieces into bite sized pieces and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, white pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well. Stir cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.

Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.

Add chicken pieces, small batches at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.) Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant (about 10 seconds). Add and stir-fry crushed chilies and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thickened. Serve at once.
Warning: cook in a well-ventilated area!
NUTRITION: serves 6 307 calories, 4 grams fat, 27 grams carbohydrates, 37 grams protein per serving.
Old 09-18-2012

2 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
6 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed - or more to taste
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 bunch red or white Swiss chard
1/4 cup uncooked small pasta, such as orzo or pastina
5 large fresh sage leaves, minced
5 leaves fresh basil, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, divided (optional)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided (optional)

Ocean Additions:
2 links of Italian sausage, chopped up
moar red pepper flakes
1 carrot, diced.

Directions

In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon, onion, garlic, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and cannellini beans, and bring the mixture to a boil; stir in sun-dried tomatoes and the piece of Parmesan cheese rind. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook while you prepare the chard, about 10 minutes.
Cut the stems from the chard, and slice the stems into pieces about 3/4-inch long. Cut the chard leaves into 1-inch wide ribbons. Stir the chard stems and pasta into the soup, setting aside the leaves. Reduce heat to a simmer, and gently simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir the chard leaves, sage, and basil into the soup, and simmer just until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.

-it was tasty and made for a good getting over a cold soup. the added red pepper flakes especially emptied my sinuses XD
Old 09-20-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

mm - that sounds good.
Old 09-22-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Happy Tolkien Day!

My wonderful friend Kayla has perfected this Lembas Bread recipe over several years. Haven't tried it yet, but really looking forward to doing so!

"This is the tried and perfected recipe for the most authentic Lembas Bread (at least as far as I can figure it).

2 1/2 cup flour (wheat flour is best)

1 Tbs baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup cold butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup honey

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup heavy cream (if you don't have cream, you can just add more milk but it's not going to be as awesome)

1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with fork or pastry cutter until very fine (I used a cheese grater). Mix in sugar and cinnamon. Add honey, milk, cream, and vanilla. Roll dough on floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3"x3" squares. Score diagonally but do not cut all the way through. Sprinkle with flour (because it looks pretty). Bake 10-12 minutes.

Makes about 10 squares."

YAY!

EDIT: These are a total failure as lembas. they're fluffy almost. next time I make it, I'm just going to spoon it out as cookies - they taste really good; they're just not the crisp-cornered delight I was anticipating.

Last edited by musigal; 11-14-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2012

Blurb: My friends are mah power.
Send a message via AIM to Anixe

Semi-Homemade Ice cream sandwiches

1 tub o' ice cream.
1 cookie mix
1 egg
2 tablespoons of veggie oil
1 stick o' butter

Mix the cookie mix with everything but the ice cream, for obvious reasons. Bake at 375 F (and whatever the Celsius conversion is for you non-American folk). After, immediately cool the cookies and get a large spoon. Scoop one or two of the ice cream (whatever flavor you like) and sandwich it between two of the cookies. Make sure yo cookies are soft enough, so you don't break your teeth from those store-bought, hardened cookies. Enjoy~

Perfect for 2 AM escapades and during all-nighters for exams.
Old 10-06-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Old 10-07-2012

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

Best Youtube channel
Old 11-14-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Wonderful sourdough pretzels that I just finished baking! If you don't have sourdough starter, this is the recipe I used to make mine:

Sourdough Starter

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Directions:

Pour the water into a 2-quart glass or ceramic jar or bowl. Stir in the sugar or honey to dissolve. Stir in the yeast.

Gradually whisk in the flour. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel or dishcloth (not plastic wrap) and place it in a warm area.

Let it develop 2-5 days, stirring once a day due to the separation that will occur. When bubbling has subsided and a sour aroma has developed, stir once more and refrigerate until ready to use. (You can also freeze it, but bring it to room temperature before you feed it after removing it from the freezer)

Storing and Maintaining Your Starter:
Once your starter is stored away in the refrigerator, it only needs to be replenished once every two weeks or so. You should feed your starter each time you remove a portion for use in baking, but if it has been two weeks and you don’t intend to bake with it immediately, simply remove a cup of the starter and discard. For every 1 cup of starter removed, replace with 1 cup of flour and ½ cup of water. Stir to blend, and let sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours before returning to the refrigerator.

Most recipes call for fed starter (which is mixed with new flour and water and left to sit for 4-8 hours at room temperature before using it), but there are still quite a few that call for unfed starter so you don't have to throw away the excess when you feed it!

ON TO THE PRETZEL RECIPE!

3/4 cup milk*
1 cup unfed sourdough starter, straight from the refrigerator
3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter softened
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast
*Add an additional 2 tablespoons milk if needed

and for the top

1 tablespoon or sugar
2 tablespoons water
pretzel salt (I just used regular table salt but lightly and evenly sprinkled)
2 tablespoons melted butter (Or you could just rub the stick over the tops of the warm pretzels just after they come out of the oven; I did so to wonderful effect)

1) Mix and knead the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a cohesive, fairly smooth dough. It should be slightly sticky; if it seems dry, knead in the additional tablespoon or two of milk.

2) Cover the dough and let it rest for 45 minutes. It will rise minimally. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

3) Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased work surface, fold it over a few times to gently deflate it, then divide it into 12 pieces, each weighing about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 ounces. If you don't mind slightly different-sized pretzels, you can eyeball it. :3

4) Roll each piece of dough into an 18" rope. Shape each rope into a pretzel.

5) Dissolve the sugar in the water. Brush the pretzels with the solution, and sprinkle lightly with coarse pretzel salt. if using herpderpaderp

6) Bake the pretzels for 25 to 30 minutes, until they're a light golden brown. Note: This is correct; there's no need to let the shaped pretzels rise before baking.

7) Remove the pretzels from the oven, and brush with melted butter, if desired.

This should make 12 pretzels. I ended up with 14, and only baked them for 20 minutes - And they came out just wonderfully ^ ^
Old 01-02-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

FUDGE!!!

Ingredients

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup nuts (optional if you want boy fudge. I always prefer girl fudge)

directions

Mix milk, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and salt in heavy pan. Cook at medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat as low as possible while still maintaining the boil. Boil exactly 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract,cocoa and confectioners’ sugar. Beat with mixer until smooth and thick. Add nuts, if desired (BOO). Pour into a buttered pan and freeze 20 minutes. Cut into pieces.

SUPER YUMMY
Old 01-31-2013

Is time for danish!

Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3 tablespoons of finely shredded cheddar cheese, or any cheese you prefer, note this cheese is mostly to taste, pick something you like.
1 orange, zest and juice used (original recipe called for a lemon, but I have a strong preference to oranges)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
5 tablespoons sugar, divided
6 small baking apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided in half
1 box of frozen puff pastry (I used filo since that's what i had, puff pastry would definitely work better, but filo is far fluffier and lighter), defrosted
I also added 1 tsp of tarragon like a boss.

Icing:
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon whole milk

cooking directions from http://acozykitchen.com/apple-cheese-danish/ with a few changes for me due to the filo and what not. The original recipe is there as well, again, i changed some stuff to my tastes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

and behold! tasty danish!

Old 03-05-2013

White Soda Bread recipe from my "Irish food and cooking" cookbook

now in metrics too!

450g/1lb/4 cups plain white flour
5ml/1tsp baking soda
7.5ml/1 1/2tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
25g/1oz/2 tbsp butter at rume temperature
1 egg whisked with 300ml/half pint/1 1/4 cups of butter milk

1 preheat oven to 220c/425f/Gas7 and grease a baking sheet. Sift the dry ingredients into a big bowl. Cut the butter and rub into flour till the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. If you're Ocean and like cheesy soda bread, add about a cup of thin grated cheddar right here.
2 make a well in the centre and pour in the egg/buttermilk mixture. Mix thoroughly to make a soft dough.
3 turn out on a floured board and knead lightly for a minute or two. Shape into a round and flatten slightly. Place the loaf on the baking sheet and mark with a deep cross to help it cook evenly, back in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until well risen and lightly browned. When cooked it will sound hollow when tapped at the base.
4 cool on a wire rack.

Old 03-06-2013

apologies for the double post, but the marinade i made tonight was really good too

juice of 8 oranges and tangerines
2 tablespoons of orange zest
tsp of diced ginger
1/4-1/2 cup of soy sauce
3 tablespoons of sage
1/8 cup of sirache
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup water
5 tbsp brown sugar
meat tenderizer.

take everything and mix it together
then take a bunch of thick cut pork chops and poke them with some holes, then marinate them for 5 hours.

Cook as you like, use extra marinade to make a glaze.
Old 03-06-2013

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

I need to bug my dad about re-writing out the recipe for poppyseed chicken so I can post it here

but here's a simple little recipe for something I make when I have a cold.

Hot Lemonade

2 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Mix in hot water heated in microwave for 90 seconds
Old 01-19-2014
Golden-Circle Lurker

Super awesome bisuits!
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/...o-risk-it.html
Also peppery roast beef =)
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/...with-four.html
Made both yesterday for dinner and they were super yummy and easy!
Old 02-16-2014
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Still the best thread on this whole site XD

Chicken, Red Pepper & Almond Tray Bake

Some kind of North African dish. My lovely wife made it a while back, as it works great as a simple dish if you're having a few people round for dinner.

Ingredients:

500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 medium red onions, cut into thick wedges
500g small red potatoes, cut into thick slices
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into thick slices
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp each ground cumin, smoked paprika and fennel seeds, slightly crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
zest and juice 1 lemon
50g whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
170g tub 0% Greek yogurt, to serve
small handful parsley or coriander, chopped, to serve

Method:

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the chicken, onions, potatoes and peppers in a large bowl and season. in another bowl, mix together the garlic, spices, oil, and lemon zest and juice. Pour this over everything and spread the mixture between 2 baking trays.

Roast for 40 mins, turning over after 20 mins, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the almonds for the final 8 mins of cooking. Serve in bowls with a big dollop of Greek yogurt and some chopped parsley or coriander.

It's got a lot of flavour to it, but we didn't add the yoghurt.

Personally we've found that the bbc good food website is great for quick, tasty dinners. I recommend it!
Old 03-26-2014

Send a message via Yahoo to Yugiohslavia

this is a pretty neat thread, I'd never seen it on any other forums before. I'm not sure if this is just for posting recipes or for requesting them, but does anyone know a good recipe for diabetics? I have an uncle who enjoys good food but it's been harming him a lot, so if I could make him some healthy things thaf AREN'T salad (he's sick of it), that would be fantastic ): Thank you. If you know any I'd love to know, he'll eat almost anything.
Old 03-26-2014
Golden-Circle Lurker

I don't know any good recipes for diabetics, but I'll let you know if I find any!

Lately for dinner I've been making non-fish sushi for dinner.
First, snap off the tough ends of asparagus stalks and drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and put in a 500 F oven for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet or similar.

Put a bit of seseme oil, grated garlic, grated ginger, and orange zest in a pan and cook for a few seconds. Then add 4 ounces of chicken, pork, or firm tofu and cook until almost done. Then deglaze the pan with rice vinegar and soy sauce.

You can do it with rice, but I've been doing it with oatmeal because it's a less-processed grain. Basically you have to cook it so it's a bit thick, then add a bit of honey or sugar and a splash of rice vinegar. Let it cool a bit so it doesn't get your nori soggy.

Then spread the oatmeal on a sheet of nori, leaving about 1/3 of the sheet empty on the side furthest from you. Get greek yogurt and mix it with some sriracha and make a line of this down the middle of the roll. Slice your protein and layer on top, along with several spears of asparagus. Roll tightly and slice with a very sharp knife. Arrange on a plate, drizzle with eel sauce, and serve with extra yogurt sauce and asparagus on the side.

It's super quick, delicious, and surprisingly good for you nutritionally and calorie-wise. ^ ^
Old 03-27-2014
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugiohslavia View Post
this is a pretty neat thread, I'd never seen it on any other forums before. I'm not sure if this is just for posting recipes or for requesting them, but does anyone know a good recipe for diabetics? I have an uncle who enjoys good food but it's been harming him a lot, so if I could make him some healthy things thaf AREN'T salad (he's sick of it), that would be fantastic ): Thank you. If you know any I'd love to know, he'll eat almost anything.
Having diabetes means a person cannot process natural sugar and things that turn into sugar properly. A diabetic diet is all about substitutions. Switching out things that have have lots of sugar for things that have less sugar or easier sugars for the diabetic to be able to process. While bread can turn to sugar in the body it's not good to completely eliminate it from your diet, however you can substitute breads that have a higher sugar content (like white bread) for breads that have a lower sugar content. (Such as whole wheat bread.) Switching to Artificial sugar (Aspertame), diet sodas, and wheat or whole grain breads are a good place to start making the changes to help your uncle.

Unsloppy Joes

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 8 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
8 kaiser rolls

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, green pepper, and garlic: saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, tomato paste, vinegar, and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in kidney beans, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Cut a 1/4 inch slice off the top of each kaiser roll; set aside. Hollow out the center of each roll, leaving about 1/2 inch thick shells; reserve the inside of rolls for other uses.
Spoon bean mixture evenly into rolls and replace tops. Serve immediately.

Spicy Chicken Breasts
Ingredients
Original recipe makes 4 servings
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, thyme, cayenne pepper, and ground black pepper. Set aside about 3 tablespoons of this seasoning mixture for the chicken; store the remainder in an airtight container for later use (for seasoning fish, meats, or vegetables).
Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Rub some of the reserved 3 tablespoons of seasoning onto both sides of the chicken breasts.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the grill, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear.

Spinach and Pasta Shells
Ingredients

Original recipe makes 8 servings
1 pound seashell pasta
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
2 tablespoons olive oil
7 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
salt to taste

Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and spinach and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente; drain and reserve.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; saute for 5 minutes or until the garlic turns light gold. Add cooked pasta and spinach to the skillet and mix well. Season with salt and toss; serve.

Sweet Potato-Turkey Meatloaf
Ingredients

Original recipe makes 4 servings
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 large egg
1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish.
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potato, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, and mash or whip until smooth.
Mix the ground turkey together with the egg, sweet onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Dijon mustard, and whole wheat bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sweet potatoes, and stir until evenly combined. If the mixture seems too wet, add more bread crumbs. Use your hands to form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape and place in the prepared baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour. Slice the loaf to serve.
Old 03-27-2014

and then BAM! gcar shows us how its done. :3
Old 03-29-2014
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

Quote:
and then BAM! gcar shows us how its done. :3
With two diabetic parents, a diabetic uncle, and a diabetic husband... well,
let's just say I have enough experience with the condition to be educated on the subject.
Old 04-02-2014
Golden-Circle Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
I don't know any good recipes for diabetics, but I'll let you know if I find any!

Lately for dinner I've been making non-fish sushi for dinner.
First, snap off the tough ends of asparagus stalks and drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and put in a 500 F oven for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet or similar.

Put a bit of seseme oil, grated garlic, grated ginger, and orange zest in a pan and cook for a few seconds. Then add 4 ounces of chicken, pork, or firm tofu and cook until almost done. Then deglaze the pan with rice vinegar and soy sauce.

You can do it with rice, but I've been doing it with oatmeal because it's a less-processed grain. Basically you have to cook it so it's a bit thick, then add a bit of honey or sugar and a splash of rice vinegar. Let it cool a bit so it doesn't get your nori soggy.

Then spread the oatmeal on a sheet of nori, leaving about 1/3 of the sheet empty on the side furthest from you. Get greek yogurt and mix it with some sriracha and make a line of this down the middle of the roll. Slice your protein and layer on top, along with several spears of asparagus. Roll tightly and slice with a very sharp knife. Arrange on a plate, drizzle with eel sauce, and serve with extra yogurt sauce and asparagus on the side.

It's super quick, delicious, and surprisingly good for you nutritionally and calorie-wise. ^ ^
Here is a badly lighted picture of my half eaten plate for your enjoyment.
Old 09-03-2014
Golden-Circle Lurker

If you microwave steam a chopped up head of cauliflower with 5 cloves of garlic and then add a splash of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and puree it in a food processor, you get a delicious carb-free side dish that is super good as cold leftovers too. Ye-yeah.
Old 12-04-2014

Quote:
"angry cucumber chicken curry"

1 small onion
1 half a large cucumber
1 lb of chicken
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 jar orange marmalade
4 tbsp Graham Marsala Paste
1-2 cups of white vinegar
1-2 cups of water
1 and 1/2 cup white wine, separated
1 tbsp dried thyme
a couple tablespoons of your favorite oil

Rice for side

So to start off with, take the vinegar, water, and 1 cup of white wine and put them in a bowl together. Then chop up the cucumber into large quarters, and stick them in the vat of stuff. Chop up the onion, do the same with it, but simply lay it on top of the cucumber, don't bother mixing or anything.

Take your chicken, chop it up into large squares, make sure you keep any juices that escape. Stick the Soy sauce, chicken juice, marmalade, 1/2 cup of white wine, thyme, and Marsala into a bowl together, mix till its a liquid consistency and the Marsala paste and jelly are actually a part of the mix, not just chucks lying around. Add chicken, mix, and let sit for about a minute, preferably covered for health reasons.

Heat up oil, take bowl of veggies and dump excess water/vin/wine liquid out. Once oil is hot but not smoking add the chicken, but don't add all of the quickie marinade. Be careful, don't burn yourself. Add Veggies to last of marinade mix and stir it well.

Stir fry chicken for a minute or two by itself, till no pink is showing on the outside, then add last of marinade/sauce and veggies. Continue stir-frying till onions are translucent, chicken is cooked all the way through, and cucumbers begin to look like zucchini. There should be plenty of sauce in the wok/pot with whatever you cooked at this point as well, don't over cook it.

Eat on bed of rice and enjoy meal that is oddly spicy, sweet, sour, and all around nommy.
I love curry, I'll definitely try this recipe. :)