This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature

Old 01-05-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?
Default Books which went on for too long?

What series for you started out epic, but then killed itself off by just dragging on for too many books.

I have a general rule of thumb that a series which goes over 3 books is often doomed to be average because by the fourth book the reader is too use to the characters and too comfortable with the world he is in, meaning things become very stilled and safe. Now I know there are exceptions, my favourite series is malazan book of the fallen which lasted for ten massive books, but these books are normally rule breakers, IE Malazan had no main character.

So which books went on too long for you?
Old 01-05-2013
Sex-Administrator

Blurb: This is a Blurb

I found the northern lights a pretty tedious read personally V:

My highlight of reading it was that I had a nosebleed over the subtle knife and the blood on the book seemed appropriate for the title.

It would have been nice somewhat shorter but yeah went on for too long imo
Old 01-05-2013
Draw all the things!

Location: The wind under my wings has carried me to where the sun sails and the moon walks
Blurb: Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
Send a message via MSN to kudos

Anne Mccaffrey's books, and the Redwall series
Old 01-05-2013
Chumba Wumba

@Grim:Really? I found those books to be epic and in no way too long or convoluted. Interesting. o0

@Kudos: I have never read her books so I cannot say, but have to agree on the Redwall series. Those were wonderful fiction books for youth kids, but by the end it did feel too much of same old, same old. I think maybe the problem was that though his books did not get worse par-say, they were very formulaic and so once you had read one, you had read them all. Ironically my was Rakkety Tam just because the wolverine was a legend.
Old 01-05-2013
Draw all the things!

Location: The wind under my wings has carried me to where the sun sails and the moon walks
Blurb: Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
Send a message via MSN to kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
@Kudos: Those were wonderful fiction books for youth kids, but by the end it did feel too much of same old, same old. I think maybe the problem was that though his books did not get worse par-say, they were very formulaic
This! I loved Redwall for a long time, but they were all very similar. My favorites were the ones that broke the mold.

Last edited by kudos; 01-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2013
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
This! I loved Redwall for a long time, but they were all very similar. My favorites were the ones that broke the mold.
My feelings towards the series is the same; I think that is why I loved the Highlander, and I also loved Legends of Luke. In both of these stories he broke his rule that all non-vermin are saintly and that they must be immortal on the battlefield. (It got a little tiresome knowing that the good guys simply could not lose, haha, which I think is what many series which go on for a long time suffer from, they become predictable; in Harry Potter, JK to her credit in the fifth book decided to kill off a good guy to mix things up, but she made the mistake of saying this was going to happen and so by god, it was obvious that old Black was going to be the one off'ed, he was the only good guy who could die at this point without leaving the story in limbo. I think this also why she went kill crazy at the end. lol
Old 01-06-2013

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

I couldn't make it past book 8 in Wheel of Time, Perrin was just far too angsty for me. Since the last book is coming out this month, I think I might have to give it a go again though.
Old 01-07-2013

Blurb: "Super Duper High School Level Bitch"

A Series of Unfortunate Events, that isn't to say I disliked it towards the end but that it could have included so much more in the time it stretched itself out to have. Plus I felt that the twelfth book had a much more fitting setting to end the series than the thirteenth.
Old 06-09-2013
Banned

Location: In a realm much like this one, but torn asunder by the agonized screams of those that defied me
Blurb: Your fear fuels my destiny of power and vengeance. Fear me!

The tales of this mortal realm all continue past necessity, much like the mortal world that spawned them. But the end shall come soon... Soon...