This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions

Old 06-02-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
The most memorable thing about high school at least was the insane security. Cameras everywhere, police patrolling the halls and lunch rooms, and severe punishments for anyone who stepped out of line. It was not the nicest atmosphere. My experience with teachers has generally been positive, although I've had a couple who were rather toxic people.

From what I hear about public education in the news, it seems that everything is going to hell. Classes are being dumbed down so that everyone passes, and people are becoming increasingly sensitive to anything that can be construed as violent behavior.
Is security really that bad? Our school had just installed some new cameras a year or two before I graduated, but that was it. How long has it been since you were in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenebrousLegionnaire View Post
My experience with public school is decidedly sub par. I do not like the direction it is going because all the good classes get killed by budget cuts, security is mean, and there are stupid rules that say I don't get to wear my cute flip flops because they're dangerous or something. I bet if I went to a private school they'd let me wear my flip flops all the time. :(
I teach a lab course at the University I attend and the no sandal rule is for your safety. Sandals offer no protection against spilled chemicals or broken glass, so they are not allowed in the laboratory. If you don't have a science class with a lab component, then I don't know why you wouldn't be able to wear them, though.
Old 06-02-2013

Blurb: Screw the rules I have Godzilla! RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
I teach a lab course at the University I attend and the no sandal rule is for your safety. Sandals offer no protection against spilled chemicals or broken glass, so they are not allowed in the laboratory. If you don't have a science class with a lab component, then I don't know why you wouldn't be able to wear them, though.
I do not do science. It is too scientific for me. They just won't let me have flip flops because they are supposedly dangerous and will make me trip on the stairs. If I tripped on the stairs when I wore flip flops I would never have to walk down the stairs. I would just fall. This is not the case though so it is stupid. The school system is just abusing it's power just cause it can. It disgusts me.
Old 06-03-2013
call me the Mime: silent but deadly

Location: In the deepest, darkest abyss in which your worst fears come to life to feast on your misery
Blurb: my macrophage will go phagocytosis ALL OVER your ass

Okay wait, that made no sense.
Old 06-03-2013

And yet it is the truth. The school system makes no sense.
Old 06-04-2013

Location: In the deepest, darkest abyss in which your worst fears come to life to feast on your misery

No I mean what you said was hilarious. Flip-flops can sometimes be a hazard. I just thought the way you said it was funny sorry :P
Old 06-08-2013

I am glad to provide humor but I am quite serious about this. Flip flops are not a hazard on stairs. They do not kill people but high heels kill people and those are still allowed at school. It makes no sense.
Old 06-11-2013

Blurb: The Shadow Realm seems nice this time of year

I'm Canadian, so I can't comment on your American school policies, but whichever school did :

Is fantastic... and I approve.
Old 06-11-2013
Baby Panda

Blurb: Firmly grasp it in your hand

^^I wish my school did that :(
Old 06-11-2013

WIN!
Old 06-12-2013

Location: Surrounded by Daleks, the TARDIS nowhere in sight. Help!
Blurb: If anyone's stealing the Pharaoh's leather pants, it's me!

My school may be starting a YuGiOh club next year. We kind of took a vote, and I'm VP of the group.
Old 06-12-2013
Baby Panda

Nice! I don't think anyone plays the game at my school. I do have a group of friends who are yu-gi-oh/YGOTAS fans

Last edited by Mistyskye; 06-12-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2013

There's a bunch of people that still play it now. I remember when it was popular when I was in first grade. Although I only actually started playing the game about last winter, in first grade I was afriad to tell anyone i was a YuGiOh fan at the time. I was the only girl that liked it, so I was afraid people would laugh at me. But no it doesn't matter, everyone knows I'm an otaku.
Old 06-13-2013
Baby Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiYugiFangirl View Post
There's a bunch of people that still play it now. I remember when it was popular when I was in first grade. Although I only actually started playing the game about last winter, in first grade I was afriad to tell anyone i was a YuGiOh fan at the time. I was the only girl that liked it, so I was afraid people would laugh at me. But no it doesn't matter, everyone knows I'm an otaku.
Yeah I was a big fan of it when it came out too, and I was given strange looks by some of the boys being a girl who played duel monsters. Although none of us were old enough to actually understand the rules so we just played a much simpler version and collected the cards.
Old 06-13-2013

I didn't even tell my parents. I just watched it on Saturday morning when they weren't looking. LOL! I just didn't want people to know I liked a "boy's show". I mean sure i also watched Jimmy Neutron, but at least some girls in my class liked that show. (sigh) That's first grade for ya.
Old 06-13-2013
Baby Panda

I don't remember being caught up in what other thought about me... I was a huge tom-boy, and I guess I still am. I was a fan of a lot of "boy" shows and I was also obsessed with anything and everything that involved dinosaurs.
Old 06-13-2013

My school has a YuGiOh club...but I cant join it, Im too busy with other stuff and I dont know anyone in the club :(. Oh well. Anyway, MUTHAFRIGGIN DINOSAURS ARE THE MOST BADASSEST THINGS EVAR
Old 06-14-2013
Baby Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik-is-King View Post
My school has a YuGiOh club...but I cant join it, Im too busy with other stuff and I dont know anyone in the club :(. Oh well. Anyway, MUTHAFRIGGIN DINOSAURS ARE THE MOST BADASSEST THINGS EVAR
My school doesn't have many clubs that interest me, though they do have an anime club that I'm thinking about checking out next year. And dinosaurs are pretty friggen awesome!
Old 06-14-2013

I'm in anime club, and girls together, and next year I'm the VP of YuGiOh card playing club. Vice President Shnaiah Thomas, has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?
Old 06-14-2013
Baby Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiYugiFangirl View Post
I'm in anime club, and girls together, and next year I'm the VP of YuGiOh card playing club. Vice President Shnaiah Thomas, has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?
Congrats becoming the VP :)
Old 06-15-2013

Hey nice yamiyugifangirl!
Old 06-16-2013

Blurb: LONG LIVE THE PHARAOH~!

I've seen and heard the stories from public school. I'm SO glad I went to a Christian private school since kindergarten(I'm a Senior in highschool now) xD Only thing else I need is an anime club.

Last edited by ShizukaMikudou; 06-16-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2013
Baby Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizukaMikudou View Post
I've seen and heard the stories from public school. I'm SO glad I went to a Christian private school since kindergarten xD Only thing else I need is an anime club.
I'm not that into religion so I don't think I'd enjoy a Christian private school. That's cool that you enjoy it. Public school hasn't proved to be too bad for me though :)
Old 06-16-2013

Most people who've moved from a public school to our school say they love it so much because, generally, most everyone doesn't bully, and most everyone is Christian so almost everybody is extremely kind and friendly. We love new people too xD
I also love how the environment is so nice. The Christian teachers will be your best friend if you asked them to. I've seen people come to them after classes and they'd be willing to sit with them and listen to them talk or cry about your problems. And most of the students, being Christian and all, are super friendly and nice to everyone. And it's in no way an austere school. People goof off in class, tell funny jokes, and have a great time.

I've heard from students in public schools about how people are always making out in the hallways, swearing left and right, ditching classes and skipping school, and of course the problem that I hear all the time, bullying. ^^;

But these are all just my experiences c:
Old 06-16-2013
Baby Panda

Quote:
Most people who've moved from a public school to our school say they love it so much because, generally, most everyone doesn't bully, and most everyone is Christian so almost everybody is extremely kind and friendly. We love new people too xD
I also love how the environment is so nice. The Christian teachers will be your best friend if you asked them to. I've seen people come to them after classes and they'd be willing to sit with them and listen to them talk or cry about your problems. c:
I could say the same thing about the public school I go to. I don't think the experience is influenced greatly by the atmosphere, but rather the people you choose to surround yourself with. Christian or not, I have found awesome people as well as teachers, at my school! :)
Old 06-17-2013

Blurb: Awesome person alert! Awesome people are deserving of pie!

I've been to public schools in two different countries. The schools I went to in America were, except for the one I went to for the last few months of first grade, fairly painless. My grades were terrible and some of the teachers were real jerks, but it was painless. In the first school I went to in Holland, it was pretty terrible, and I got picked on a lot for being foreign. My current school is a lot better though, and the system is more centered around the student's need than the American schooling system (in my experience).
Old 07-03-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenebrousLegionnaire View Post
My experience with public school is decidedly sub par. I do not like the direction it is going because all the good classes get killed by budget cuts, security is mean, and there are stupid rules that say I don't get to wear my cute flip flops because they're dangerous or something. I bet if I went to a private school they'd let me wear my flip flops all the time. :(
Flip-flops are less secure than normal shoes and as such, much more likely to see you involved in an accident. You are under the loco-parentis of your school, which means they have a massive obligation towards your general well-being and safety; as a public organisation, that obligation comes with the risk of your actual parents suing them out of existence should they fail in those duties. They are, therefore, rather risk-adverse and quite understandably so, if I do say so myself. Flip-flops are a risk, ergo, not to be worn on school property.
Old 07-03-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
I've seen and heard the stories from public school. I'm SO glad I went to a Christian private school since kindergarten(I'm a Senior in highschool now) xD Only thing else I need is an anime club.
I went to a Christian school; it was full of hateful, angry, drug-taking bullies, along with many generally undesirable people, so I think religion has little to do with it.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2013
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
I went to a Christian school; it was full of hateful, angry, drug-taking bullies, along with many generally undesirable people, so I think religion has little to do with it.
It depends on the people who run the school and the people who work there and the kinds of parents that the students have, as well as what the students can get away with. The Christian school that I went to from the time I was 8 until I was 14 was a good environment. My high school, though, was very much like a public high school, except that people didn't steal tour backpack if you left it in the hallway, and the school itself tended towards encouraging people to be better people and better Catholics - but there was definitely still lots of drinking, sex, wild parties, etc etc. My Catholic high school had mostly decent people, but I can't credit that to the fact that it's because the majority of them are Catholic. The parents tend to care more about their school experience because the city that the school is located in has those types of parents everywhere. The public schools in that area are much much much better than, say, Detroit Public Schools. Not even going to get into that.

I do know of Christian schools full of nasty people and situations, and not just a half good half bad situation.

The point I think is that Shizuoka goes to a school where the teachers care about students' well-being, as do the parents. Any school that has that kind of environment, Christian or not, at least has the potential of being a great school. There are public schools like that - but there are also public schools that don't give a shit. And there are Christian schools that don't give a shit, as well.
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Wow. It doesn't sound like a Christian school at all. Sadly, things like that do happen, and I agree with MrsSallyBakura that it depends on the people who run it. It just goes to show you that the administrators of that Christian school probably aren't really Christians.

Luckily for me, my Christian school administrators are all very good Christian people, and my entire life has been cushy and nice xD