This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Conventions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015

Blurb: Gyabo!
Smile Unplugged Expo 2015 Post-Convention Report

Unplugged Expo 4 in Mississauga, ON from July 31-August 2, 2015 at http://unpluggedexpo.com/

A brand new convention venture appeared as a weekend of awesome for the Greater Toronto Area for all things geek like anime, comics, gaming, cosplay, sci-fi and more is growing in the Unplugged Expo. In its fourth year it was the first time for our appearance, as there was lots on the docket to see and do.

The 404s Improv Comedy troupe did a few shows for the event. The opening show after a Sailor Moon voice actors’ panel attracted about 30 people to start but it grew in the intimate stage area as more people heard the fun and antics on stage to make it about 40-50 plus watching attentively. The late night show after the Idol event (where this one mother of a family nailed it with some classic tunes to open the ears of the younger audience with her vocals accentuating the songs) about 20 plus people were in their seats while another 20 or so were within the area either in the gaming zone or working around the convention area.

The set lists this time included the following: Schwarzenegger got off to a rousing start with garbage men kill lines (You will not be recycled!). A Heavy and other Team Fortress classes came up in a Number of Words. Moving People got to being a tailor at a shop to Living Scenery getting swords and twin pronged guns behind a wall to fight off enemies. Many Film & Theatre Styles talked about zombies, pro wrestling and even the high school musical finale. Stand, Sit and Push Ups got involved for a workout to get a prom date, while in Character Change it involved several rotations to have someone involved as Krillin and Teemo summoning the devil, while there was also My Little Pony Demon possession as well. Driving wasn’t easy with Sound Effects determining that the car drove on its own and leading to hitchhiking with a Titan and using a hawk and gun for hunting on Sundays to draw attention.

An Akame ga Kill manga was used in every other line for a scene about photography of landscapes that send various messages from a new assistant to the photographer. There was the Interrogation of a criminal impersonating Nicolas Cage (yes he keeps coming back) with Shia LeBoeuf (DO IT!) in a WalMart Bathroom. Forward/Reverse scenes were shown of a granny and her grandson playing competitive Cards Against Humanity. Fans got to help on stage or with suggestions as well with Scene suggestions like where not to take one’s date (that WalMart Bathroom), how Godzilla would be polite if he was stomping on Japan and Anime Characters as Prime Minister who promised taxes shall not go over $9000. There were Random Lines submitted too like ‘You Shall Not Pass,’ to ‘Love live well done!’

Other events made for a fun time as a fan. Easily I had the most fun at the Lip Sync Battle being hosted by a fellow cosplay friend. Check my YouTube channel as I filmed a lot of the fun in clip form from Asami and Korra cosplayers singing Aladdin and Jasmine’s A Whole New World to having myself joined into a parody of Disney songs with Professor Oak and others! The Main Stage Kill La Kill panel with special guests Erica Mendez and Carrie Keranen was a treat to ask fan questions, enjoy their stories and even get some autograph time as I had gotten a new wall scroll for them to sign. It was nice to hear them talk about being fans themselves of their works (Keranen was even asked on her work on Berserk and Madoka Magica) and how they played along with some of us cosplaying characters like Nui, Ryuko, Satsuki, Mako and my Barazo.

Idol as noted was won by a mother singing a classic tune and judged by special guests the Frost Sisters who also performed to many families of small kids (they were adorable in Pokémon gear and one as a female Darth Vader that I gave out some of my old Pokémon cards to them which they looked to enjoy), while some of the cosplay for Masquerade was neat including a gal who lit her staff up to former WWE Diva AJ Lee’s Start It Up theme. I got to chill in the gaming zone to play a bunch of games such as Street Fighter Alpha 3, the Japanese port of Fist of the North Star fighting game, Mortal Kombat X, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Duck Hunt, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, and a Hatsune Miku Japanese Rhythm game. I attended a giant Haikyu panel which like an Attack on Titan one I attend last year was fun to be at with a giant cast of cosplayers in semi-character answering questions both for fun and educating why fans enjoy the show and genre of volleyball/sports anime.

The latest bounty of finds!

-The biggie was getting a Kill La Kill cast wall scroll signed by Ryuko’s voice actress Erica Mendez and Satsuki’s Voice Actress Carrie Keranen who also did a Sailor Moon panel.

-From the Dealers I got some Lychee Hi-Chew, 3 figures of Misty the Cerulean Gym Leader, Banette and from EVA Misato, some postcards for Sailor Moon and Inu Yasha/Kagome, 3 Pokémon XY Roaring Skies boosters, and 3 Yu-Gi-Oh! Dragons of Legend 2 boosters.

-Every con attendee got a Sailor Moon poster to take home.

-I got my photo taken in my Nudist Beach Barazo cosplay taken by Cosplay for a Cure and Droo Photography once more. Cosplay for a Cure has a photo album at https://www.flickr.com/photos/cosplayforacure/sets/ Then I got a selfie and other Power Rangers photos with the Power Rangers Student Alliance at www.youtube.com/TorontoPowerRangers

-From the Artists, I got a full set of Durarara buttons from Stephanie Chiew at scyy.94@gmail.com and some Sailor Moon stickers from PlumLi at http://plumli-art.tumblr.com

I must give a hand to the guests who got involved to the fans who came in the hundreds to be such spirited audiences at all events! The intimate feel was welcome for all shows and activities.

As always, I collect all videos of the Eastside 404s shows that can be found on the current ongoing Video Play Set at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...uObMY2lv72Shcb on my channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/trigunkwan

Check out this regularly updated public photo album of my convention photos (the newest photos are at the end pages of the album) at: http://www.crunchyroll.com/showphotoalbum?id=10061028

The latest events and links to The 404s can be found as well at the main website at http://the404s.com/ as well as their many social media outlets like their YouTube videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/the404s

Enjoy!
Old 08-02-2019
Banned

so cool