This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007

Blurb: The back of my book?

The I.T Crowd
Heroes
Bleach
Fairly Odd Parents.

=D
Old 10-24-2007

Old(and probably all-time favorite): Blackadder
Recent: Desperate housewives
Old 10-25-2007

I have a few

Mystery Science Theatre 3000
Dexter
Fraiser
MASH
the Colbert Report
the Daily Show
and South Park
Old 12-24-2010

Blurb: People say you can't live without love...i think oxygen is more important!
Send a message via Yahoo to RipMyHeartInTwo

My would have to be "Meet The Browns." Thats such a funny show. :D
Old 12-25-2010

Regular Show cus It brought the sexy back to Cartoon Network.
Old 01-05-2011

I watch a few TV shows...

-Seinfeld
-Law and Order (any of them)
-The Office (on occasion)
-Ghost Whisperer (I watch this with my mom, usually...)
-American Idol (I only watch this if there's someone good on that year/season... I never vote for anyone though. XD)
-Whose Line is it Anyway? (God, I loved that show to death. I have yet to see the British version though...)
-Big Bang Theory (I love Sheldon's character so much... XD)
-And, uh... That's it, I think. XD

As for cartoons...

-Courage the Cowardly Dog
-Invader Zim
-Samurai Jack (I haven't seen the show itself in years... but I remember it)
-Dexter's Laboratory
-Loony Tunes (I haven't seen their new show yet; I'm mostly a fan of the older ones when I was growing up)
-And, my favorite out of all of those... Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy! I loved this show since I first saw it back in... 2000, I believe. And yesterday was the 12 anniversary that the show aired... I feel old now. O___O

As for animes...

-Sailor Moon (The second anime I ever saw and loved; I still love it today. XD)
-Inuyasha
-Tokyo Mew Mew (I like the manga more than the anime... I never did watch the 4Kids version though, thank goodness... XD)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! (Of course I love this show; it's why I'm here, besides the abridged version... XD)
-Fullmetal Alchemist (I love this show, so sad and dramatic... And also funny in some parts; if you can connect to the characters, of course)

And... I think that's it. (:
Old 01-11-2011

Hmmm, favourite shows...

I'd probably say Smallville, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Psych :D

I also love Dragon Ball
Old 01-15-2011

(NOT CARTOON)
Arrested Development, Dexter, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Tosh.0, Chappelle Show, Man vs Food, Extreme ___ (they have resorts, truck stops, etc.). Thats all I can think of at the moment.
Old 02-04-2011

List is a too long but from the current shows on air i love to watch Gossip Girl episodes. This season is going strong
Old 02-06-2011

In no particular order:
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
CONAN
The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
House
Scrubs
Futurama
Family Guy
South Park
The Venture Bros.
The Office
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
Star Trek: The Next Generation
M.A.S.H.
How I Met Your Mother
Dragonball Z
Dragonball
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Old 02-09-2011

Blurb: If you're reading, I'm already in your house.
Send a message via AIM to AperioContra
Default My Favorite TV Shows By Genre.

Because I felt compelled to give my least favorite TV shows by Genre, I think in fairness I should create a similar list. The problem is that if you've read The Wasted Time (I just have no shame at this point), you are no doubt under the assumption that I don't like anything. While it is true that I disdain most of what I watch, there is a level that I do find good.

The following is a list TV shows that I think aren't a Waste of Time.

Mystery (Comedy)

Monk
Yeah, I know, I split this category into two groups because... come on, Monk? Well believe it or not I really love this show. The campy setup is pretty forgivable when you account for the fantastic backstory. Yes, Tony Shalhoub's acting is far over the top, but I think that really makes this show as fun as it is. The mysteries in Monk are pretty good, if not a little ridiculous at times. It plays like a satire of all of the Mystery novels, and that's what comes off as so heartwarming about it. It has strong actors, strong characters, a great writing staff, and Intro made by Randy Newman. You can honestly do worse.

Mystery (Serious)

Criminal Minds
This show seems pretty complex, but really it's just another CSI port, or is it? What makes a good show isn't necessarily creating a new Idea, so much as most of the time improving on an old one, giving a unique spin on the head of a popular archetype. Criminal Minds does all of this and more. The attitude of the characters is consistent, and truly adds a new depth to the mystery. The Science is pretty good... for a tv show (well... at least it's not egregious), and the mysteries are genuinely compelling. The show is really intellectual and goes into the deeper areas of the human psyche and ultimately morality. If you want a show that will make you think, it's pretty good, and genuinely worth a check.

Sci Fi

Stargate: SG1
This was a big battle for me, seeing as I could literally write a list just like this for everything Sci Fi. There are so many good examples of this show, but I'm going to have to go with Stargate: SG1. A show about traveling through different worlds using a wormhole device called a Stargate. It runs off of the storyline of the original movie, by the same name with the end chopped off, except everyone in the Universe speaks English now, for some reason, Ra's race is now the Butt Weasels from Dream catcher, and for some reason all of the constellations look the same from every planet, because they never have to figure out home coordinates again. Despite these flaws the show is really innovative with it's antagonists, and it's friendly alien races. It takes a new spin on Sci Fi, while keeping true it's Genre. It gives us familiar situations in unfamiliar worlds and always teaches us a little about ourselves and how we act.

Plus it stars fucking MacGyver and corporal punishment is ordered on anyone who doesn't think that's kick ass.

Sitcom

The Drew Cary Show
Who'd have known that somebody so untalented at making jokes could make the funniest Sitcom that will ever exist. Drew Carey plays a pathetic loser in forties, with nothing but a dead end job and a crippled dog. The show has a wealth of funny actors, Such as Ryan Styles, That guy next door in Office Space, Jordan from Scrubs, and Drew Carey's wife in the Lois and Clark Episode. Despite being very gimmicky, the show was quite creative, the characters were all very lovable and the humor was unforgettable. A comedy you don't have to be high to enjoy (though it helps).

Medical Drama

House M.D.
So it's more of Medical Mystery, but fuck it I already fractured that catagory once. House is really an amazing Holmsian Archetype. For you literature buffs out there (yeah, both of you) stop me if you've heard this story: Drug Addled genius with absolutely no social skills, who exclusively takes the cases nobody can figure out, is commonly abrasive but everyone goes to him because he's always right. If you're thinking Sherlock Holmes, congratulations (you have no life). This show really does justice to it's own inspiration, and adds depth and complexity to the original story. The cases were interesting (if not impossible), and the unique persectives of the entire time, combined with the guidance of the hilariously misanthropic House (played by Mr. Little), gave a whole new level intensity to an already intense Genre. I loved all four seasons of it. And for those of you who say it had seven? Die... die and rot in hell.

Superhero

Batman: The Animated Series
This took me a little time, but really no other superhero series did quite as well at telling it's story. The story was deep, but simple. Rich protege child Bruce Wayne witnesses the death of his parents by a Mob member. He realizes that something must be done about the crime so after years of training a preparation he becomes the Batman. The superhero who stalks the night and strikes fear into the heart of Gotham Crime. The show was serious, and dealt with serious issues and offenses, even for a kids show. It was fun as well as dark and intriguing and definitely not just for kids. Plus the Joker was Mark Hamill, who played in my opinion the best and most underrated Joker. If you don't recall Mark Hamill, just think Luke Skywalker (or is better known roll as Cocknocker in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back).

Paranormal

Angel
This is one of those shows that I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I like. A Spin-off of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (not making a good case am I?), this series takes the Wedenverse into a more adult world. The show stars Angel: The Vampire With A Soul, it circles are a paranormal detective agency (And what show in the late 90s didn't?), which it used to explore the dark, depraved, and quirky Wedenverse (I love saying that word... Wedenverse). The show is pretty consistant, though it's mysteries are a tad lame. It's fun, it's endearing, and it really takes the paranormal to a new level. Remains my favorite soap opera of all time.

Dramadies

M.A.S.H.
What I consider the original and quintessential dramody, which says two things: I watch too many reruns, and Dramodies really haven't evolved much in 30 years. M.A.S.H. was about the mobile hospital unit 4077 and the unwilling company it pertained. The series was snarky yet had the right level of seriousness for the Korean War. Another show written the 100% lovable characters, and casted with the most brilliant cast I've ever seen. It does a great job in satiring war, while never comprimising it's ultimate message: War is Hell, but also necessary and in some cased futile. This show is an utter classic, you'd have to be section 8 not to enjoy it.

Legal Shows

Boston Legal
A spin-off of The Practice, Boston Legal follows the personal and public lives of Alan Shore (Reprising his role as Mr. Grey) and Denny Crane as played T.J. Hooker. The show had serious messages, serious cases, serious moral dillema's, but never made the mistake of taking itself too seriously. The show was a smart balance of satire and drama, and juggled both effortlessly. It tried very hard to let both sides of issues stand by making the main characters a Republican and a Democrat. It was simply amazing, a pleasant surprise from a generally boring Genre. Denny Crane.

Adult Animated Series

Futurama
What else can I say except, Fuck Yeah! Futurama! The show was the perfect comedy show. You tuned in, had a familiar characters, a familiar background, and was taken on a grand adventure to find something to make fun of. And it was great. Voice acted by Peg Bundy, Doug Funnie, and the motherfucking Juggernaut and written by the man who wrote the first five years of the Simpsons, Futurama is truly the best at what it does. What that is, I haven't the foggiest.

Sketch Comedy Shows

In Living Color
If you've never heard of this series than you're probably even whiter than me. This was the black comedy sketch show that gave the Waynes Brothers (all three hundred of them), Jamie Foxx, and Jim Carey their start. If you haven't watched this series, please forward your address so I may come over and force you to watch it. Classic Sketches include: Funky Finger Productions, Fire Marshal Bill, and Homey the Clown. Oh? So you don't want to email your address to me? You gonna make Homey beg for you to watch this brilliant series? Oh please mister internet man! Please watch Waynes Brothers before they got tacky and everyone forgot about them! (BAP) Homey don't play that.

Horror

The Twilight Zone
Another Genre I've always enjoyed. When brilliantly written these shows can conjure up the primal fear in a human being. When terribly written it can conjure up irritable bowel syndrome. The Twilight Zone, and yes I mean the 1959 Twilight Zone, is the perfect example of a classic Horror Mythos Show. Even though it is an old series, it's still surprisingly creepy and creepily surprising. The mood was always set by professional cool voice of Rod Serling (My Lord and Savior), always smoking a cigarette, to remind us exactly why we smoke today. My favorite episode is "To Serve Man," and if you haven't seen, seriously, do yourself a favor.

Reality

Pawn Stars
The perfect reality show. You known it's totally staged and faked, but damnit if you don't wanna have a beer with that crew. Perfect show if you're like me and surrounded by Rednecks.

Anime

Deathnote
Very seldom do we come across anything in any Genre that truly breaks the mold like Death Note. Death Note is inherently dark and a little confusing, but you will love every fucking minute of it. The show is about Yagami Light (Yes I watched it in the original dub, because I am that kind of nerd), a brilliant if not misanthropic kid who comes across a Shinigami's Notebook, which has the power to kill anybody who is written in it (given that you have access to their facebook account) The show explores corruption of the mind, what it means to take a life (no matter how deserved), and the true evil of utter power. It circles around a battle of wits between evil protagonist Light (or Kira) and the detective looking for him, the brilliant L. This show literally had me glued to my computer for three days straight, between work and "alone time".

Dark Drama

Dexter
A Notable mention in this article of a post, Dexter is about a boring Blood Splatter Analyst... Who happens to be a Serial Killer. A vigilante of sorts he only kills people who have killed others. But make no mistake, the show makes sure through many methods to let you know that you are following a true monster. What makes him truly sinister is what makes him truly likable at the same time. The show has brilliant Dark Humor, amazing suspense, and stars Michael C. Hall (Unfortunately he doesn't do the Robot). I suggest renting the first two seasons, and living blissfully unaware that there's a fifth.

Well, that does it for my list of favorite TV shows by Genre. I truly enjoyed this side project and plan to do more in the future... Unfortunately instead of being smart and writing this on my own site, I have decided to give it to you YGOTAS, thank you for having me.

Jack "Aperio Contra" Shawhan. Satire Writer, Critic, and... Wedenverse... The Wasted Time.
Old 02-14-2011

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan

um...
Boston legal
Criminal minds
Peep show XDXDXD
(before it ended) The inbetweeners
Old 02-28-2011

Blurb: The YGO Marathon was ace. <3

Vic Reeves' Big Night Out
The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer.
Bang Bang it's Reeves and Mortimer.
Catterick.
Shooting Stars.

Anyone notice a trend? <3

Others include Monkey, Red Dwarf, Black Books, Robot Wars, The Crystal Maze, and Malcolm in the Middle.
Old 02-28-2011

in no order
house, lie to me, ncis, ncis la, psych, burn notice, monk, doctor who,
as for anime
Fullmetal alchemist, bleach, kekkashi, fruits basket, cowboy bebop, hetalia ( axis powers and world series), d.n. angel, vampire knight
Old 04-12-2011

Blurb: TheOcean is waving.

Walking Dead is now my favorite.
Old 05-10-2011

I like Mentalist very much for the humor and psychology, though it's on a long break here right now, I've started to wonder if they aren't continuing it anymore. Other one I like is Mythbusters, and recently House, too.
Old 05-10-2011
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

I'm stealing AperioContra's format.

Sitcom

Arrested Development
How can this not be everyone's favorite sitcom? I've seen the entire 50ish episode series multiple times and I am still finding jokes that I missed. This show is a concentrated ball of comedy with jokes packed into every frame. Unfortunately, the network's inability to keep a consistent schedule doomed this show to an early cancellation, but the three seasons we did get are pure gold.

Runner up: The Drew Carey Show
I don't care for many sitcoms, but this show will always be one of my favorites. It got worse as time went on, specifically in the season Drew stops working for Winfrod-Lauder and gets a job at some hipster company, but the early seasons are great.

Animated Comedies

The Venture Bros.
What started as a pretty funny spoof of the old adventure cartoons like Johny Quest, quickly came into its own and developed into an amazing cast of characters and an overarching storyline. Each new season adds depth and backstory to the characters and interconnects everyone into the main plot. The show manages to take it's depressing theme of failure and twist it into a clever comedy with sharp wit and sarcasm. If you haven't seen it, I can't recommend this enough.

Runner-up: Futurama
I'm pretty sure everyone has seen this so you don't need me to explain why it is so good. If you've never seen Futurama, you are wasting television service.

House

House.
Yes, this gets its own category. Definitely my favorite currently airing television show. I got into this show after so many people kept comparing me to this House character I knew nothing about. At the time, I was coming off of a knee injury so I briefly walked with cane. That, combined with my reputation as, "that guy who knows stuff," and, "that atheist guy," invited the comparison. After watching few episodes, I learned that House is based on Sherlock Holmes which I had an interest in ever since watching Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century as I was growing up. Every once in a while it will get kind of ridiculous, but overall it is a very entertaining show.

Anime

Neon Genesis Evangelion
I didn't see this until Adult Swim aired it on Saturday nights. I then promptly bought the complete series. First of all, anyone who claims this series is over hyped, over rated, or otherwise not worth all the attention it gets is wrong. I know opinions are opinions, but in this case their opinion is wrong. I have never seen an anime with this level of complexity. Literally none of the character's thoughts and feelings are expressed through their actions. Their motivation is expressed through body language alone which is a remarkable feat to pull off using animation. Almost all of the characters have a hidden agenda which is never explicitly stated, but enough clues are hidden in the dialog that you can figure it out with repeated viewings. The plot itself is a rubix cube of hidden information, secret agenda's, and complex dialog that somehow fits together and makes sense if you are willing to invest the time to figure out how. Even on the most basic level, it is still an enjoyable action series with interesting characters and cool imagery. The only thing that keeps this series from perfection is its ending, which even if you take End of Evangelion to be the true ending of the series, still leaves much to be desired.

Runner up: Monster
This massive 74 episode series plays more like a western drama than a traditional anime. Its been a few years since I've seen it so I don't remember much of the details off hand, but I do remember being amazed by how well it was written. As far as story goes, I would rank it even higher than Evangelion. The thing that really stops it from being perfect is its length. It tends to drag at times, but it truly is a fantastic series.

Runner-up again: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
This show is everything I want in an anime. Fast paced, smart dialog, and an interesting story. The show takes the themes of the movie and uses its length to expand and give them greater depth. I also liked the slick animation and the non-intrusive CGI. My only complaint is that it lacked a proper end. The final scene of the second series just led you to believe that they would continue to kick ass until they either died or retired. I would have liked to have seen a proper ending like in the movie, but this is still an amazing series.
Old 06-05-2011

Blurb: Attention duelists! My hair is a yuri fanboy!

The Simpsons (the good years, anyway)
American Dad
Family Guy (although I've lost a little interest ever since that Conway Twiddy crap got started)
The Dating Guy (hilarious adult cartoon in Canada)
That 70's Show
King of the Hill
Futurama
DragonBall Z
The Boondocks
South Park
Chappelle's Show (Damn, I miss it)
Two and a Half Men (not really lookin forward to seeing Ashton Kutcher on there, though)
Old 06-05-2011

Blurb: Card Games Are A Way Of Life~

Doctor Who, Sons Of Anarchy, and The Walking Dead O:
Old 06-12-2011

Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

SUPERNATURAL
Old 06-14-2011

I should also mention that I just started getting into Freaks and Geeks. It's an excellent show!
Old 06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapat View Post
I should also mention that I just started getting into Freaks and Geeks. It's an excellent show!
And then afterward you have to watch Undeclared.
Old 06-15-2011

yugioh, death note and scrubs =]
Old 06-15-2011

My favorite TV show since I was little is the Beetlejuice cartoon :) I also love Batman the Animated Series, and Yu-Gi-Oh of course x)
Old 06-15-2011

If I ever catch a glimpse of the Jackie Chan Adventures, I'd probably start wetting myself. In a bathroom, though. And because I have a small bladder. But still..."One mooooore thing..."
Old 06-20-2011

Blurb: Gyabo!

At the moment now for TV I follow:

Chuck (when in season, looking forward to the final season in the Fall)
The Ultimate Fighter (when in season)
Deadliest Warrior (guilty pleasure show coming back in the summer)
Man vs. Food
Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy
The Price is Right
Pardon the Interruption
Auction Hunters

Otherwise aside sporting events I'll also catch cartoons/anime on TV!
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Transformers: Prime
G.I.Joe: Renegades
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Yu-gi-oh 5Ds
Ben 10 Alien Force
Generator Rex
Old 07-01-2011

Noone here seems to have heard of peep show, its such a weird ironic type comedy/drama. no canned laughter or "oohs and ahhs" added either. Very strange but clever too

i also like cougar town and big bang theory

Drop dead diva is probably my favorite girly show
Old 07-14-2011

Blurb: CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!

1. Disaster Dates
2. Bizarre Foods
3. Stargate SG-1/Atlantis
4. Man vs. Food
5. The Simpsons (when it was good)

Last edited by WolfSpirit456; 08-26-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2012

Dexter :D season six is not as great as the first two seasons or season four with john lithgow that was fantastic but its still good viewing :)
Old 03-01-2012

I won't bother listing anime, as I don't consider them TV shows for some odd reason.

More or less in order of preference, the Tv shows I enjoy;

NCIS
BONES
Futurama
Ben 10 Alien Force
Star Trek Voyager
House MD