This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate 4Kids?
The edits they make 85 82.52%
The voices they cast 24 23.30%
The bad jokes and lines 46 44.66%
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!! 23 22.33%
I hate it because everyone else does...... 10 9.71%
Other reasons 23 22.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2009

Ok, then I have to be fair too, I don't know too much about the FCC, I only know a bit about how it would be done in my country.
The shows we don't recieve via the USA but directly from Japan aren't half as badly cut.
I laughed so hard about the changes One Piece had to undergo in the US. Or Pokémon (changing Riceballs into Donuts - please!)
But see, even though we don't obide directly to the FCC we do so indirectly by buying the pre-censored stuff off 4Kids.
A fair compromise would be for 4Kids to sell the shows on before tampering with them, but I don't know if that would be possible.

The frustrating thing is, a few years ago, Germany's greatest Manga and Anime Community Animexx decided they didn't want to put up with the sh*t RTL2 served us any longer.
So a long letter was written and in a petition around 2000 fans from Germany, Austria and Switzerland signed it.
The letter was then passed on to RTL2 who confronted us with the answer I posted before.
So that's why the concentrated wrath of the german fandom is now directed at 4Kids. Because we'll never know if RTL2 were ready to negociate - they simply couldn't
^^"

Another compromise would be to send the hawt stuff in the pre-evening or evening program.
We had two versions of Inu Yasha for example, one in the afternoon run of RTL2, one on MTV or VIVA in the evening (along with Cowboy Bebop, Candidate for Goddess, Escaflowne - those were the good days).
But I guess you can't do that for every show...

Last edited by Kiwi; 11-28-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2009
Possible Homersexual

Blurb: The MistakenLoner
Send a message via AIM to ThePRPD Send a message via MSN to ThePRPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
(changing Riceballs into Donuts - please!)
At least back then they left it look like a riceball and not edit it into something else like they had done way later with Pokemon.
Old 11-29-2009

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyDudez View Post
I don't hate their yu gi oh dub. What I hate is that screwd up shaman king so baddly its enouth to put you to tears. It was one great manga even though it isn't very popular. But the anime is a joke thanks to 4kids.
What? The dub was great. If anything, it's the manga that's bad. Everyone's looks pissed off about something, and the character's are just wrong...
Old 11-29-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
What? The dub was great. If anything, it's the manga that's bad. Everyone's looks pissed off about something, and the character's are just wrong...

Old 11-29-2009

Well, they can't change too much about the manga, can they?
Except deleting an obscene gesture here and there (as seen in YGO).

And I don't think 4Kids is responsible for the Manga (we can't blame them for everything... sadly...)
^^'
Old 11-29-2009
Possible Homersexual

Also 4kids does other things other than dub anime. They also do their own toons. Hell, they made their own TMNT series and the Turtles Forever movie that was bloody fantastic.
Old 11-30-2009

Blurb: I'm not that into Obama (or politics in general). I just picked this avatar on impulse.

I hate the edits they make, their lack of voice actors, the jokes, and of course, the music. It's the SAME DRAMATIC MUSIC STING. It's like they don't even try...
Old 11-30-2009

Well, they DO try... in their own way.
the ceo of 4Kids (correct e if I got his position wrong) once said at a press conference that "Once we are finished editing Yugioh people won't even notice it's from Japan."
And THAT'S the snag!
The total lack of respect for something different.
What's wrong with it being from Japan and therefore different from american animation?
*fails to see sense* @__@
Old 11-30-2009
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
"Once we are finished editing Yugioh people won't even notice it's from Japan."
That is a really stupid thing for him to say even if though he does believe in Americanization/Westernization. =/
Old 12-01-2009

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeDawg View Post
I hate the edits they make, their lack of voice actors, the jokes, and of course, the music. It's the SAME DRAMATIC MUSIC STING. It's like they don't even try...
The music's decent. If you're referring to the way it's utilised, I might agree, except all anime is like that.
Old 12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
The music's decent. If you're referring to the way it's utilised, I might agree, except all anime is like that.
YGO DM 4Kids music is okay. It tries to be epic all the time, but it's decent.

GX 4Kids music, on the other hand, is 100% Steve Miller-ripoff assworks.
Old 12-05-2009

Blurb: Go check out SMA. DO IT NOW!

I have only one question. What is this whole "KAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!" thing? Could someone give me some details please?
Old 12-05-2009

Al Kahn, onetime CEO of 4Kids back when it was a company, has said lots of mindblowingly stupid things, like "Manga is going to die because kids don't read" and "When we're done with this, no one will know it's from Japan".
Old 12-07-2009

That's the one I meant! (thx for the name)
;-)
Old 12-07-2009

Blurb: The YGO Marathon was ace. <3

The pointless censorship and removal of words. I could go into the details of certain episodes, but I'm quite sureeveryone knows what I mean by now.
Old 07-08-2010

Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg

BUMPS with purpose.

4kids is gonna air DBZ KAI

Explain how this is the end of the world
Old 07-08-2010

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985

i hate them for censoring their dubs, taking over the local saturday morning slot that, until a couple of years ago, was taken by a much better company that put out good saturday morning cartoons while relying on yugioh and tmnt to get through, and most of all, for what they did to Sonic. THOSE F***ING BASTARDS!!!!

and the fact that they are ruining the reputation of some pretty good voice actors just by employing them.
Old 07-08-2010

Blurb: Fly Me To The Moon
Send a message via Yahoo to Yuuki Kuran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbhtg View Post
BUMPS with purpose.

4kids is gonna air DBZ KAI

Explain how this is the end of the world
What? Really? I thought Disney XD was going to air that show?

-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtyler1985
and the fact that they are ruining the reputation of some pretty good voice actors just by employing them.
How do you figure? I don't see any voice actors' reputation ruined or destroyed just because they worked at 4kids. Some of the actors who dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh!, have played in a number of roles after the show ended. For example, the actress who played Mai Valentine (Megan Hollingshead) was hired by Viz Media to participate in popular shows like Naruto, Bleach, and even Code Geass (yeah I know this show wasn't licensed by Viz). And there are other actors who have been successful....so, just because one actor worked at 4kids doesn't mean their reputation will be doomed forever.
Old 07-08-2010

Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg

4kids and Nicktoons got DBZ Kai.

Disney XD got Naruto Shippuden
Old 07-08-2010

Blurb: Fly Me To The Moon
Send a message via Yahoo to Yuuki Kuran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbhtg View Post
4kids and Nicktoons got DBZ Kai.

Disney XD got Naruto Shippuden

I must have gotten Nicktoons mixed up for Disney XD, sorry! Well, now we have to see what its going to be like when 4kids takes over.
Old 07-08-2010

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!

actually, i was talking about some of there other series that they've tried. not everything they do revolves around yugioh, TMNT, and the show that they borrowed from nickelodeon (which in turn was borrowed from toonami, and was actually made by FUNimation. just another fine product.). they have there own shows that voice actors don't like bringing up, like biker mice and di-gata. while they do have some shows like dinosaur king, chaotix, and sonic x (again, how could they?) that both have at least a decent storyline and remind me of some of the better saturday morning cartoons from the good old days, i'm not a fan of how they've mostly turned out and feel that they could have been done better somewhere else. kind of like the whole thing about one piece a few years back, but not nearly as exaggerated on the part of the viewers. in short, it's not that i hate all of their work, i just think that they've made more mistakes with handling their audience than the last three american presidencies, and these moronic fools should not be allowed to run their own network.

and the reason i keep going on about sonic x is because i've always been a die hard sonic fan since before i could walk, and i still have VHS tapes with episodes from some of the old sonic cartoons. sure, the story lines and plot are different, and the hedgehog has been through a lot, but they've pretty much reduced him to a spinning blue version of syrus from GX. add in some friendship speeches, plot devices from that would go better in season 4 of pokemon, some voice rejects from early morning disney shows, and you've got sonic x as shown on tv. the least they could do is bring it up to the standards set by recent video games (which aren't too much better, but if they make it as enjoyable as a game dispite the handicap of it not being a game, they might be able to attract a broader range of audience for their saturday morning line up even after yugioh is over). (hey, i know that the earlier series doesn't attract today's filler obsessed narutards, but hey, at least it's one hell of a lot better than this. and this was before they started making everything into anime).

instead of just complaining, i'll also make a suggestion. GET STUFF FROM OTHER COMPANIES! that's what everyone else does, and they all live happily ever after until all of their series end. the people who had this slot before where i live, the WB people, had a plethora of goodies. they had some classics for adults and teens to enjoy with the younger kids, they had some of the better 4kids works, they had some original creations, they had a bit of viz media, and they had a few things owned by DC. they had excellent ratings every weekend and weekday morning. and believe it or not, this also makes your worst shows a lot more watchable, because of the fact that their audience will just leave the tv on and zone in in between shows that they're waiting for.

Last edited by gwtyler1985; 07-08-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2010

Default what all pro-anime, anti-4kids people should do

i hear all this complaining about 4kids and its editing practices. i personally dislike it because i believe it is perpetuating ignorance in people, and ignorance stops progress. i believe that society must change and move on in order to survive, like many species of life. halt that progress and u lead to society through dangerous waters. besides many young kids are aware of guns, violence, and even sex. i also believe studies have also shown that earlier exposure makes it less likely for the subject to do it.

the one thing i wonder is why people haven't done anything to deal with this dilemma. saying opinions is one thing, but u have to act to make your opinions have meaning. what i think we should all do is to band together and fight back 4kids oppressive-like behavior. with enough people, we can form a force capable of getting 4kids attention and bringing change. Al Kahn and his associates can't shut us all off forever.

i would love for people to comment on my statement and philosophy
Old 08-10-2010

I would like to retract a few statements that I had made earlier. After reviewing more Sonic X, I have found that there are moments that are just as watchable as the other shows. However, I can't help but feel that they have still downgraded a few of the characters from how they are in game (especially shadow), and i still maintain that adding the human main characters was generally a bad idea. the least they could have done was not make them so annoying. Out of all of the technically "human" characters (with the word applied quite loosely), the most tolerable is Eggman, who is about as sinister a villain as the first recurring hannah barbera villain you can think of. and if you're too young for that, then just think of that one scientist from the only disney cartoon that shows up on basic cable.
Old 08-10-2010

Send a message via MSN to Ninjasplaycardgames2 Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjasplaycardgames2

Because of things like Mr. Bomb Citrus Fruit
Old 08-11-2010

The jokes. Oh god the jokes. "No more Mrs. Nice Mai" That's probably the worst quote ever.
Old 10-03-2010

Blurb: DRIVING!!!

Okay, seriously, it's been twelve years, and still no official release of any Pokemon episodes being sold in the United States with their original Japanese voices?

This is why I hate 4Kids!
Old 10-03-2010
Maka

Why would the US release Pokemon in original Japanese?
Old 10-04-2010

Blurb: DRIVING!!!

They've released every other anime this way!
Old 10-04-2010

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjasplaycardgames2 View Post
Because of things like Mr. Bomb Citrus Fruit
Are you referring to a certain Disney cockup with Digimon regarding the changing of BomberNanimon to Citrusmon? That's nothing to do with 4Kids, who would have chosen not to air the episode at all.
Old 11-20-2010

Blurb: urban

well i like it and i have no reason to hate it.