This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Music

Old 02-26-2012

Blurb: Vince/Stuart = OTP!
Default Eurovision Song Contest 2012

So, Eurovision is just a few months away! Anyone thinking of watching it this year?

For those of you who don't know, Eurovision is basically a yearly contest in which European countries enter songs and vote for which is the best. It's become a pretty political thing, which kinda takes the fun out of it.

Personally, I think my favourite songs out of the list this year are:
Cyprus- La La Love
Ireland- Waterline (Good God, it's Jedward again!)

Does anyone here have any favourites yet? I think all the songs are available on YouTube (I can't stop listening to Ireland's!) and I think it'd be great to discuss Eurovision with some people. Or even to see what non-Europeans think of the show! Judging by all the songs I've heard so far, I think it's actually going to be a really good show this year.

Of course, one thing is always going to stay the same. The UK will suck. The only question is how bad. (Apparently we could have either Atomic Kitten or the Spice Girls, so my guess is we'll suck pretty bad.)

Last edited by Emelinee; 02-26-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2012

Blurb: Screw the rules, I'm back baby!!
Send a message via MSN to zsil

Even if we have the best song and best singer on the planet, we can't win, only irelandever vote for us......and speaking of ireland.....JEDWARD!!!!!! They so should have won last year!! azerbaijan's not even in Europe!!!
Old 03-02-2012

I hate that the voting system has become so political, with countries only ever voting for their neighbouring ones- and sometimes, Ireland doesn't even give us any points! I was so offended last year when we gave them 12 points and they only gave us about 6!

I agree, Jedward should definitely have won last year. Why are so many non-European countries allowed to take part?
Old 03-02-2012

I know....though it is a good laugh!! Have you heard who's our entree......Engelbert Humperdinck ......
Old 03-03-2012

Blurb: One does not silly walk into Mordor!

Does somebody really care for the Eurovision?
I totally forgot about that crap and I'm a bit glad that I ignore the TV for months.
*Search the internet for the German act*
Just kidding.
And besides in the end a East European country will win... back to normality.

If we believe wikipedia, the non-European countries can participate because they're still in the European broadcasting are... but, duh. I have no idea.
San Marino WTF? What is it with all those pipsqueaks states? Pfff... ok, but they have an won football (soccer) team as well.

What am I doing? Ok, I checked the German act and I have to say... lame. The voice isn't that bad, but the song is lame and nothing original.
I don't care.
Old 03-03-2012
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Englebert Humperdinck is representing the UK in the final for Eurovision...

Take that as you will >_>
Old 03-04-2012

Well its not like we would win even if we had Tom Jones repersenting us.....
Old 03-04-2012

I wonder how much Germany will get from Greece ^^ ... 0

When became the Eurovision another platform for politics?
Old 03-04-2012

I know....though it is a good laugh!! Have you heard who's our entree......Engelbert Humperdinck ......

I heard about that the other day, I was actually quite pleased. I've heard him sing and he's very talented! Maybe we're finally starting to take Eurovision seriously in the UK.

Does somebody really care for the Eurovision?

It's not exactly the actual competition I enjoy- although some of the songs are quite good. I'm not sure why I care about it every year, it's just a bit of fun.

And besides in the end a East European country will win... back to normality.

I wouldn't be too sure of that this year... Jedward did fantastic last year, and practically the whole of Europe adores them now. I think they're pretty tough competition to beat.
Old 03-05-2012

I prefer it when they don't take it seriously...its was a great laugh!! And as for jedward winning....that would be awesome!!!
Old 03-22-2012

Yeah, Eurovision is always good for a laugh- although I have to admit, I always get far too competitive when it gets to countries giving out points.

And to tell the truth, I'm rooting for Jedward this year.
Old 03-23-2012

Its got to be jedward.....even though they can't really sing, I still think they should win as they're a great laugh, and it would completly destroy all those really competitive countries!!
Old 03-25-2012

Engelbert will be bottom; he's the only serious one there! :P
Russia's singing grannies, all the way!
Old 03-25-2012

Its got to be jedward.....even though they can't really sing, I still think they should win as they're a great laugh, and it would completly destroy all those really competitive countries!!

Yeah, they'd be a great laugh. Last year, I was a little concerned about how the rest of Europe would react- us in the UK have had to live with them for a couple of years now, and I don't think even we're used to the insanity yet. And yet somehow Europe loved them...

Engelbert will be bottom; he's the only serious one there! :P
Russia's singing grannies, all the way!

I do feel sorry for him. His song sounds sweet, but a little like a dirge. Plus, apparently he's going first in the competition this year, and with the dozens of countries competing, I doubt he'll stick in anyone's memory.
Old 03-26-2012

We're going first? I haven't seen that happen before........well I never really hold up hope for us winning anyway!!
Old 04-02-2012

There's a part of me that hopes every year, but my practical/realistic side always says "We're losing again whether you like it or not."
Old 04-07-2012

If we ever win again.....I will eat the internet...all of it.....
Old 04-16-2012

Just heard the song for Belarus. LOVE IT. I think I've got a new favourite.

And good God, Austria's entry! I can't take it seriously! I've only heard a part of it, and it sounds like the whole song is a rap! First we had Greece having a mini rap during their song in 2011, and now we've got Austria rapping! Please tell me Greece hasn't started a trend!
Old 04-16-2012

Austria is so much fail! I laugh my ass off!!! What were they thinking? Not cool! Kids, not cool! It's worse than a rap... it's called "Atzen music"... it's just plain dull shit for party kids with no education (if you know what I mean...) and the whole song is about... yeah shake your arse, bitch... I'm so glad that I'm not Austrian and still I feel ashamed...
Old 04-18-2012

I was just going to say that I watched a video of Austria's song with the translated lyrics... God, it's embarrassing, and I'm not Austrian either! At first, hearing it, I found it hilarious. I kind of wish I hadn't looked up the lyrics- they seem a little obscene. It's catchy, but obscene.

God, Greece, it was a mistake having a rap in your song! Look what you've done!
Old 04-18-2012

^ this. (And the Austrians wonder why the Germans don't take them serious)
Old 04-20-2012

Speaking of Germany, I LOVE their song, I think it really stands a chance of winning. Or at least doing great.
Old 04-21-2012

No no, please not another victory. Do you know how much money that will cost again?
Old 04-22-2012

I don't actually have any idea of the cost, but I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot of money. I wish it didn't cost so much, if we could just have it all done simply and with no unnecessary expenses. Because I do think Germany's song is great, and it would be a shame if it didn't win or at least do very well.
Old 04-22-2012

Mhm, I think that song is really lame, but okay. Lol, it's still irritating for me that people say positive stuff about my country/people. Maybe the FIFA World Cup in 2006 changed something. Idk. That said... I don't care for the Eurovision so much, but I can't wait for the European Championship. I'm not so much into football at least not the "leaque" but I like to watch the national teams of the different countries. It would be too nice to win that thing this time.
Old 04-27-2012

I can understand why you'd see the song as lame; it's kind of similar to YGO for me. Lame, but in a way that I like. I'm sorry if I've irritated you, I never meant to.
Old 05-27-2012

Well, we've lost. We knew it was going to happen, but I have to say, I wasn't expecting to come second from last. What happened? In 2011, the UK came eleventh! And Engelbert's song was starting to grow on me...

I'm a little disappointed and a little relieved that Austria didn't make it through. I wasn't able to see the semi-finals, so it was all a pleasant surprise for me. I don't understand all the love for Sweden though! To be honest, I didn't like the song that much.

I actually voted twice- once for Germany, and once for Hungary. Who did people here vote for? Anyone get behind the Hump? No? Well, I can't say I'm surprised.

Better luck next year!
Old 05-27-2012

I hated sweden.....I didn't vote though, but I did want jedward or the russian grannies to win!!
I kinda liked germany, I found the french abit in your face and don't even get me started on albania
I do have to say that engelbert seemed abit off key....
Old 05-27-2012

I didn't really understand all the hype about the Russian grannies, everyone seemed to be going on about them but I didn't like it that much.

I really liked Germany's song, although I agree about the French, it was a little in your face. And don't even get me started on Italy's- I think it's a little too soon to be imitating Amy Winehouse, especially for Eurovision. I really can't remember Albania's, it was so frustrating during the voting/points process when I couldn't even remember a lot of the songs.

I have to give credit to Englebert for hitting the big notes. There was a lot of debate about whether he'd be able to do it, but he did! But I do think next year we should go back to pop songs- or just outright crazy. Europeans like that sort of thing.

I did have a lot of fun last night though, since I kept giggling when I remembered the Hetalia version of most of the countries, and I even yelled at the screen when Germany only gave Italy 2 points- until I remembered that in real life, GerIta isn't canon. I don't even ship it, but I found it amusing.
Old 05-27-2012

haha, how could you not like the grannies?