This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2009

Blurb: Honey Badger don't give a shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patatoman4 View Post
Toy Story
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle (Sophe is win :P)
The Simpsons Movie
LOL, I also like Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Hayao Miyazaki does and awesome job! (Thougth the movie HMC is very different from the book!)
Old 07-14-2009

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan

ooh ponyo is out soon or already isnt it?
um i am guessing you liked the movie or the plan Valkyrie and the movie or the actual legend/Myth Juno? XDXD

Platoon owned if i have not already posted it as one of the best movies ever
Old 07-27-2009

Blurb: "Quit saving the world and get a hobby!"

The Nightmare Before Christmas. Oh, and Shrek!
Old 07-30-2009

I love Shrek!

A couple of my favourites are School of Rock and Love Actually :)
Old 08-02-2009

Shrek
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
A Christmas Story
Robin Hood (animated version)
The Princess Bride
A History of the World Part I
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (NOT THE REMAKE.)
The Matrix
Hero
Office Space
Pirates of the Caribbean
Fight Club
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
V for Vendetta
Spirited Away

Last edited by Eia; 08-02-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-02-2009

Blurb: Fly Me To The Moon
Send a message via Yahoo to Yuuki Kuran

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Underworld: Evolution
Tomb Raider: The cradle of life
Yu-Gi-Oh! the movie:p
Bleach: memories of nobody
Old 08-03-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuki Kuran View Post
Okay, this is only excusable if you mean the original Japanese version.

(Although the English version does have Kaiba saying "That's all, folks" and Joey's Marlon Brando impression. I thought those moments were amusing.)
Old 08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuuki Kuran View Post
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Underworld: Evolution
Tomb Raider: The cradle of life
Bleach: memories of nobody
Not to be insulting but...

I never, ever, want to go see a movie with you.

Ever.

Gtfo.
Old 08-03-2009

Location: In the space between your eyes and your nose. So you will never see me.
Blurb: What?...There can be only one?!?

Has anyone else noticed how incredibly clever Chris Nolan's The Prestige is?
I rediscovered it yesterday, and the entire story revolves around the first speech...
Those guys are awesome.
Old 08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Ulyssicider View Post
Has anyone else noticed how incredibly clever Chris Nolan's The Prestige is?
I rediscovered it yesterday, and the entire story revolves around the first speech...
Those guys are awesome.
Cons - It's Batman Begins with magicians.
Pros - It's Batman Begins with magicians.

^_^
Old 08-21-2009

Blurb: "I hope the island doesn't swim away or something...that would ruin my day"

Alright, my three favourites in no specific order

The Matrix, Terminator 2 & The Dark Knight. Other notable mentions include Die Hard, Terminator 1, Lethal Weapon 1, etc.
Old 08-31-2009

Blurb: "Quit saving the world and get a hobby!"

The Emperor's New Groove! The only Disney film to actually make my cry with laughter. Plus it's all about llamas, which is always a bonus.
Old 08-31-2009

Blurb: Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it
Send a message via Yahoo to wazza2k9

sweeny todd, the demon barber of fleet street. it's epic
Old 08-31-2009

I have SO many favorites and right I adore the BORROWERS :D :D :D
Old 08-31-2009

oh yeah, i also like the love guru, and Knowing
Old 09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza2k9 View Post
sweeny todd, the demon barber of fleet street. it's epic

Knowing was amazing.
...except for the ending, which was, visually, poorly executed.
Old 09-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightLink View Post
mmmmmmmhmmmmm, I love:
1. Harry Potter series
2. Lord of the Rings series
3. Pirates of the Caribbean
4. Star Wars
5. Bridge to Tarribthia
6. Rocky series
7. First Blood.
Yeah, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars owns! XD
Old 09-02-2009

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That is one of the best movies ever. Here's a scene from the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
Old 09-04-2009
Draw all the things!

Location: The wind under my wings has carried me to where the sun sails and the moon walks
Blurb: Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
Send a message via MSN to kudos

The Princess Bride is my favorite movie of all time! Sooooooooo funny!
Old 09-06-2009

I recently saw Orphan.
I thought it was pretty damn awesome.
Old 09-10-2009

Blurb: Riiiggghhhttt

The Wedding Singer. Absolutely love Adam Sandler in that movie.
Old 09-16-2009

Blurb: "I hope the island doesn't swim away or something...that would ruin my day"

District 9!!!!
Old 09-22-2009

micael jackson - moonwalker

disaster movie
Old 09-22-2009
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Ever since it came out, I think my personal favourite movie has always been Stargate.
Old 09-25-2009
Banned

Blurb: Row row fight the power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusRocks View Post
Ever since it came out, I think my personal favourite movie has always been Stargate.
yo JR I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna letchoo finish, but Star Wars is the best movie with STAR in the title of all time. OF ALL TIME.
*shrug*
Old 09-25-2009

My fav movie is Interview the Vampire :P
Old 09-29-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Well, here are my top 10 fav films and why:- PS anything in spoilers needs to be, so only read if wish too.

12=Black Hawk Down=Now, I know this will controversial one to start off with, as people ether seem to love it or hate it, as a uneducated, non-soldier I do like it. I cannot say if it really shows what war is like, as what do I know, but I can say they did go to effort of actually asking real soldiers to help with this, and though I suspect like all war films this can be accused of dramatising war, it does at lest try to show a message of the crap these guys go through and that war isn’t fun, why’ll making it an entertaining movie. Also rather than having an overriding pro/anti war message, it shows little of both and looks more at that the soldiers and the way they make their comradeship to get through the nasty times they are going to face. If hate this film, especially if actually seen real war, I would understand, but from my position, I do like it.

11=Azumi=Based on a set of Manga’s, this isn’t my normal kind of film, because as well as being a live action, it is mostly just a cute action film with average acting and very simple storyline. However there is also a lot of interesting/quickey extra’s to it, like the cloths, which are wonderful mix of traditional Japanese and modern eccentric world. The Fight scenes are done to seem more like a comic than movie’s and the way it doesn’t take itself seriously but isn’t so stupid that hate it anyway. The characters all have that wonderfully over the top eccentriesed Japanese insanity to them which makes this film lovable in way we love our manga’s and Anime, which is very telling as most live actions fail to get this feeling and just look stupid. This is why this movie is in my list as though it is stupid and is just an average Japanese-fight-flick in truth, I love it anyway, because I think it has a feeling where they didn’t try to remake the comic’s seriously, but made them as if they were fans, making a fanfick comic but using real people, so it means unlike many Manga/comic to movie remakes it can get away with quickeyness that hang over their original basis’s.

10=Lost of Translation=This one of only 2 love stories I like and the reasons I like it are simple. One it isn’t some over the top 2D story of unlucky but stunning woman meets Mr Perfect, and several dumb things happen, they fall in love, the end! Instead it shows 2 very human characters, who are trapped in their own tragic spirals of depression, that is a rut, that we can all find ourselves in at some point, with partners who don’t understand them and in truth they don’t understand in equal message, which shows they are victim to same failings that is separating them from ones they love. Then it cleverly shows their undertoned love story, through a subtle and kind friendship built like all real friendships on circumstance, rather some fantasy like story of perfection and the movie is then, just about how this friendship grows, [ but rather than it then making a perfect ending, it merely makes one which gives them a mild fantasy like happiness for a week which in end gives them a new prospective on their lives, which allows them to live their real lives without perfecting their lives unrealistic way. ] The Second reason is the way they use Tokyo and Japan and things like its clash between old and new, is amazing as it sets the verisonal tones in this movie an almost believably good with the story. Also Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are surprisingly ideal match in this movie. Before Sun Set=This is the second love movie I actually like, this isn’t in my top 12, about 15 th actually, which why not gone into it, but worth seeing, I will say that)

9=City of God=Set in Rio and based on the real gangs wars of the City of God where average life expectancy is barely 25 and your ether a worker or a hood as the rest of the world forgets your suffering. Unlike many movies, the subbing in this is really good and its completely unknown cast is so honest in their acting that they actually seem more real than many world famous actors. When you first watch it, may seem just mostly overly violent film, but the more times you watch this, the more times you see it, the more you actually see it is about our way world treats it people and different ways people react to that world, whether they raise, fight or sink. Though much of the film is strange mix of engaging action and mirroring tragedy that is the lives of those who have unfortunate birth, it has got moments which are also truly inspiring, which makes this movie a truly emotion ride.

8=Lord of War=Well, this is one of the strangest moralistic movies you will ever see, but that is what makes it great in my opinion. Rather than showing our main character (played brilliantly by Nicolas Cage) as a 2D selfish, power mad villain (which he is at heart) it shows him as a person with conflicting sides, to his real self-righteous vindication built on his beliefs and desires that all humans have. Also despite everything about him screaming at you to hate him, you like him, he’s smart, funny, smooth, has a cocky air without being arrogant and is kind of person who if met in bar, would like. This is over plays all his darker edges and another thing which makes this movie great, is rather than making out that there is some good side and some bad side, it just shows there are merely sides and the interpretations, views and lies of they hold, with the full hypocrisy of our own world on show. However by doing it through the eyes of the villain rather some moral crusader or annoyingly pyretic character, it actually makes the message stronger, as he isn’t coming off as two faced by trying to slander it, why’ll at heart being part of it in real world, or trying to guilt trip you with it or even making you sick by justifying it, he just saying it as it is and lets you make own view of how to stand on this point. So unlike most moralistic movies, it doesn’t tell how to think, as if your too dumb to make own opinion, it tells you what the situation is, and leaves the rest up too you.

7=Trainspotting=Well, the greatest of all the Drug based movies and that is for one simple reason, it doesn’t look at the “cool” dealer or make their lives look great, instead it shows how its character try to escape the realities of their world by abusing drugs and how for many of them, this only makes reality come crashing down on them even harder. Though there are funny moments, a lot of the movie is about the shallowness of its characters and their debouched weakness, yet this subtly and cleverly undertoned by the deeper truths to each character, which they ironically and vainly try to hide. Though the main character is somewhat glamorised, McGrugor plays him brilliantly and you can make a connect with him as watch him develop throughout the movie, but to me, it is the other completely disreputable characters that really need to watch and what make this movie as they each show what scum or dirty really is, without being truly evil.

6=Gladiator=This film along with Matix revolutionised the action movie world with its gitty characters, amazingly choreographed filming and a storyline that has a wonderful balance of pure fantasy and fictional fact (love that term ^_^)! Now the movie itself storyline isn’t one going to go into, as probably just better to see for self, and in my opinion what is really important about this film and what puts it in my top 12, is the detail they went into to make the action in this film, where gave it an exciting edge yet still give real feeling of emotions as well, where feel the frill of battle and love of its characters one minute and the realisation of the tragic reality this pointless wannem violence creates the next. This film is more like a strange work of art in my opinion than actual film and it creates some of greatest action ever produced for our TV’s.

5=Fight Club=Amazing remake of an amazing book, with a clever storyline [ following, a mans fight to destroy the capurlist world he has become a slave to, by going insane ] and twists, plus Edward Norton and Brad Pitt brilliantly play their two messed up roles. They make a movie which makes you question society one minute and then question their sanity the next, which then puts the first questions into refute, despite making sense, which then puts your own sanity into doubt. It also takes your for messed up rides of action throughout, however the action is done in a way which keeps this movie going without overriding the storyline. The camera work is done alertly and allows you to watch the fights without making them seem to flashy/quick or static/boring. Overall this classic movie with great acting, story and verisonals, however this movies over the top themes, won’t be for everyone.

4=Ghost in a Shell= I like this movie with its great special effects and wonderful colorings/drawings, because it makes a dark view of our future world, with a sense of realism many cartoons and Anime's fail to get. But the thing which i feel actually makes this movie great, is the originality of its deign. The way it beautifully goes into random philosophising of the world and a storyline which unlike many modern movies leaves you to work out as much as it tells you. [ The whole idea of most humans linking themselves to net and making themselves machines, (both of which can be Abused ) is amazing. ] It also has a deep meaning with way it looks at why we are always trying to advance ourselves and our technology, but also at the carelessly way we cast aside our creations for next better model and never look at them with a heart. And rather than answering its own Questions, (both in philosophy and moral terms) it simply asks them and lets us deicide. Though this film isn’t easy to watch, it is worth it, if want something to really challenge your view of the world.

3=Infernal Affairs=Well if you have seen the departed, then this is the first of the Hong Kong Epic trilogy, that the Departed was based on, and though this film will try to lose you at points which isn’t helped by whoever subbed it. Its actual acting is mostly great again (though few of lesser characters are somewhat weak) and the whole thing is one big twist on the cobs and robbers idea with a storyline so clever it has own degree from Oxford University. The main the thing I love about this, is that it is the movie which proves that all Asian movies don’t have to be mindless fighting and it is all about its storyline, not its fighting. In fact the action in it very limited, though that isn’t all bad, as adds to rest of the story, but means those looking for good fight will be bored by it.

2=Reservoir Dogs=Probably another controversial choice, but I think this Quentin Tarantino’s best film and that he is talented director when look at some of his “best” films. This is my fav as it is one which is lest about action and mostly looks at the characters, it cleverly shows some of the planning of their robbery and the [ disastrous ] after effects why’ll copiously showing us none of robbery itself, which sets the whole feel for this whole film as though we see the results of their indevier, we don’t know why they have these results, other than what we are told by very impartial people. Which means all we know about the robbery is all second hand bais information, and in truth isn’t this normally what we know about real robberies? (unless a thief or victem) And that is what this film is about, it is about the way all this second hand information we have, effect our own opinions and then about making us feel different things we naturally feel in this events, towards our characters why’ll showing us, we actually don’t have any factual basis for these opinions and so everytime we feel have hold on the situation, Tarantino shows us new side which throws everything out of whack again. Take Mr Blond, from everything we see of him, he appears to be nothing more than psychopath, until we see him from point of view of his friends who show that there is also a real loyalty and sense of justice in this man, a warped and twisted justice, but it is there. And that is why this ride of emotional tumour gets number 4 on my list.

1=Withnail and I=Well, as done a review on this, most of this is stolen from that, but this by far my fav film. The First thing to say here is, you will ether love or hate this film, now it is old school English Comedy, so if like that, then you will love this. However despite having some of most classic one liners ever, its main brilliance, comes in the way it defines and icons, one of the greatest ages of man the 1960’s to 1970’s, with its amazing use of songs from time like Jimi Hendrix’s “all along the watch tower” and imagery in the scenes it uses. It cleverly shows the free feeling of this time as well as its oppressive nature and sad destruction, as Britain goes into economic decline and social melt down. it also shows the industriousness of the people at this time and way willing to work around things to survive, yet the way a lot of this, unorthodox thinking, is fueled by the drink, drugs and poverty of this TIME. It is a self-reflecting theological view point, to show us as real people and the ironic failing of their lives, as well as their deep struggle to find a place in this world.
Richard Grant (Withnail) and Paul McGann (I) plays their plays brilliantly as both show the two opposite extremes of human nature. Grant cleverly shows Withnail as the selfish, son of the Middle Class, who’s self-belief is only out matched by his Self-Failings. Yet he isn’t without his own qualities, he has ambition and drive, which makes strong in own strange way, this mixed with his pride and arrogance doesn’t make him a likable character, but it makes him a real one. I, is quite, deep and thoughtful, and seems like a respectful man who accepts reality, without actually liking it, but I accepts world, with all the ironic grace of a man who has nothing and doesn’t know what he wants ether. Both of these actors are supported by the also wonderful Uncle Monty, played by one of Britain greatest actors Richard Griffiths who really adds a sense of Britain’s eccentrically, that conflicts a waging war with our social respectability. Griffihs uses all his clever overtop acting style to give this character his original brand of tragic-eccentric-humor, and set the tone for both this movie and the time it is portraying. This too extremes mix in a strange, yet wonderful way, with the too extremes of the movie’s own setting, to make a story which both tragic and happy, funny and sad, but most all HUMAN. Which is why I put this as one of my personal, Must See Movies.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 09-30-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2009

^ The only one I've seen out of the 12 is Gladiator, which at the time I thought was great. I haven't seen it for a while and aren't sure whether my opinion will have changed or not.

Has anyone here seen The Strangers?
Old 10-01-2009

Why am I not surprised that F1F is among the critical circlejerk for "LiT"?
Old 10-01-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
^ The only one I've seen out of the 12 is Gladiator, which at the time I thought was great. I haven't seen it for a while and aren't sure whether my opinion will have changed or not.

Has anyone here seen The Strangers?
-Well, depending on what kind of films you like, their all amazing in my opinion for reasons I have put in them

I've not seen the strangers, but heard it was different, what is it like?

Danny I'm just going to ignore you, as though I'm sure having another pointless debate with you would be totally gratifying for us both, it seems little too much effort, so now, if you don't agree with me, then say so with yout own well reasoned reasons why, or just don't respond at all

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 10-01-2009 at 02:22 PM.