This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007

seriously, that is heavy stuff for a children's book.
Old 07-19-2007

Some of my friends stopped reading it because it was too 'unfortunate.' But I found it more interesting than depressing.
Old 07-19-2007

anyone read it all? Cos the ending was very anti-climactic
Old 07-19-2007

i started reading them because a film was coming out about it. i got to the 6th book when i saw the film.
The film.Sucked. It blew. It warped it into something..."happy"
i was glad i read the books before i watched the film, because otherwise i would have bad-mouthed the series to every one who asked.
Old 07-19-2007

I read the end. It was very unnerving and unsettling because there are so many loose ends. Still good books.
Old 07-19-2007

Send a message via AIM to Yoshi8710

that was the worst ending ive ever seen for a series like that...

i didnt thin they were very depressing at all, they were pretty good books but not that unfortinate.....
Old 07-19-2007

I didn't find them depressing at all. Lemony Snicket's writing style is actually very enlightening for me, even funny sometimes. Or maybe I just have a weird sense of humor.

I did find the ending a little disappointing, although I can't say it wasn't unexpected. Tying up even half of the loose ends presented in the books would've been a difficult feat.
Old 07-20-2007

Blurb: Thiefshipping fangirl >=)
Send a message via AIM to Mana

I've read them all, and I love them. They're not depressing to me 0.o I find them pretty funny too, it's why I like them. I like how Snicket goes completly offtopic sometimes and starts tellling you some long story that hardly relates to what's happening. The ending did bug me though, and it's sortta wierd how in the first 6 books they were just repetive and then they suddenley completly changed, maybe it's just me.
The film DID suck.
Old 07-20-2007

did you notice the hidden messages he wrote in?
first time i saw them, i was like 'WTF!?'
Old 07-20-2007

Blurb: The back of my book?

the film sucked
the ending sucked (the end and film)
The books rocked =D
I think they were quite unfortunate , you wouldn't feel too happy if everybody you meet has died even your enemy.
Old 07-20-2007

The only thing that was really depressing was the end of The End. Barely any loose ends were tied, and it was more dissapointing because i was at the premiere, where he was signing the books. Well, at least i got my books signed.
Old 07-20-2007

BEATRICE WAS THE GIRL LEMONY SNICKETT KEPT DEDICATING THE BOOKS TO!!!!

(Gosh, I was the only one of my friends to get that.)

Beatrice was Violet, Klaus, and Sunny's mother. She married another man, and when she died in the fire..
Old 07-21-2007

Blurb: Thiefshipping fangirl >=)
Send a message via AIM to Mana

gosh, I got that easilly, it's kindda obvious.

boman, what hidden messages?
Old 07-21-2007

Blurb: I'm having an adequate time.

NO SPOILERS
Old 07-21-2007

"I've read them all, and I love them. They're not depressing to me 0.o I find them pretty funny too, it's why I like them. I like how Snicket goes completly offtopic sometimes and starts tellling you some long story that hardly relates to what's happening. The ending did bug me though, and it's sortta wierd how in the first 6 books they were just repetive and then they suddenley completly changed, maybe it's just me."

That is something I didn't like about the series. It's probably one of the reasons I stopped reading it.
I just don't like how sometimes he'll take and entire paragraph to explain something. If I want to know what something means, I'll look it up, I just want to get on with the story.
Old 07-22-2007

Lemony Snicket= Jiminy Cricket?
just want to know, why choose that name?
Old 07-22-2007

He chose that name because he likes snickering about lemons, obviously.

As for the series, I find comedy in a lot of things. Romeo and Juliet was hilarious, mercutio's death, don't get me started about that one.
Old 07-22-2007

Let's not forget how Romeo poisons himself (That's not poison! That's a Pepsi Twist!)
Old 07-22-2007

Romeo: Oh woe is me, if anyone is to inquire as to my killer. Let them know teenage angst did it.

Nice to have a good laugh every once and a while.
Old 07-22-2007

I think I read somewhere that he had to come up with a random name, so he just said the first thing that came to his mind. Later, he regretted picking a name that sounded so much like "Jiminy Cricket." :D
Old 07-22-2007

They're pretty sad, but that just adds to its addictiveness...though Poe really was true villain suspect to me. Just seemed too innocent and stupid of a character.

But Sunny was awesome. Loved her, though did they ever explain how Violet and Klaus could understand her baby talk?
Old 07-22-2007

I read half of the books, they were great!
But the movie... kinda dissapointing, for a fan like myself.
Old 07-23-2007

the odd thing is, as much as i hate the movie, if it didn't happen i wouldn't of read the books.

thats also the same reason i started reading Potter, but that is for another topic...
Old 07-25-2007

As I didn't read the books I didn't expect a spectacular display of genius from the movie. But when I saw it is was actually quite good. I don't see what you don't like.
Old 07-26-2007

I own every book & i've read em all a couple times, I love it! On the original topic though, it is fairly depressing but I'd still recomend it to any1 & every1.
Old 07-26-2007

I thought that those books weren't depressing ENOUGH. D:<
Old 07-31-2007

I didn't think it was depressing at all. It was more funny to me than anything.
Old 08-01-2007

The reason most people in this thread (including me) didn't like the movie was because, if you read the books first and then watch the movie, you realize that it doesn't stay true to the books. It even goes so far as to mix up the storyline and give it a happy ending. How dare they!!!
Old 08-01-2007

I read the first book but the second book killed it for me, it didn't hold my interest. I don't think it is THAT depressing. I thought it was more....unreal then depressing. ._.
Old 08-02-2007

Are you guys kidding? I absolutely adored the ending to this series...
Closed Thread