This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is Yu-Gi-Oh: 5Ds good or bad in your opinion?
It's awesome! 14 21.21%
It's good 13 19.70%
It's average 8 12.12%
It's bad 2 3.03%
It sucks 11 16.67%
I haven't watched it 17 25.76%
What's 5Ds? 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2010

Blurb: bottega mascot.

for some reason yusei didn't really rub off on me that well, i found him strangely smarmy, and not in that good seto kaiba-ish all-warmy-inside way either.

and don't get me started on jack. orz!

the vibe i got from the show was that they were going for a "cooler" version of yugioh, and imho that made it all the more ridiculous. card games on motorcycles indeed. gah.

Last edited by lesjoursdete; 05-19-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2010

I love how the nostalgia filter prevents people from seeing that all the ridiculous things that are in GX and 5D's are also in the original series.
None of the original cast? That's because their story kind of ended. Really, Duel Monsters wrapped things up nicely at the end, and we didn't need them anymore. I'd much rather see a spin-off that acts more like a spiritual successor than a boring post-script season. Star Trek did the same exact thing.
I know there will be mobs of people yelling CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES, but enjoying a show that has card games handled the way YGO does requires a pretty big willing suspension of disbelief in the first place.
Anyways, I find all 3 shows to be guilty pleasures. The plots of the two new shows or no more or less ludicrous than the original series. If anything, the last two seasons of GX were more believable than anything else with the name "Yu-Gi-Oh" on it. (Not that it's saying much...)
Old 05-19-2010

Blurb: Venus is your neighbor, so why can't you feel the love?
Send a message via MSN to D.M.Girl Send a message via Yahoo to D.M.Girl

For some reason the I've never really like the main character in any anime I always like the sidekick or w/e but not with yugioh I really like Yugi, Judai and Yusei is also win from what I've heard
Old 05-20-2010

Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichoftruthiness View Post
I know there will be mobs of people yelling CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES, but enjoying a show that has card games handled the way YGO does requires a pretty big willing suspension of disbelief in the first place.
This. The storyline is great, the characters are believable and it's made pretty well. Sure, card games on motorcycles is just absurd (makes for good lolfodder) but it's not the centrepoint which everything in the show revolves around.

I don't understand why people automatically assume it's a cr@p show just because of 'card games on motorcycles'.
Old 05-20-2010

Blurb: umm......lemme think.

i watched about 20 episodes and ended up dropping this show because i got lost. :S granted i was watching it without subtitles, but for some reason i never found it as charming as the original. (although ygo abridged has a lot to do with how much i liked dm. ^^;)
Old 05-20-2010

S'all right, i guess. I don't think it's worse than 5d's. or maybe it is - I haven't watched enough of it to know. :|
Old 05-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
5D's: Someone find the guy who came up with this mess and shoot him dead.
I am sure Kazuki Takahashi wouldn't appreciate that, especially after all the work he put into designing the cast. Granted he decided to take a step back in writing the story, but he actively takes role in the 5d's series/plot....

I don't see why the whole motorcycles thing is so despised. If you guys haven't noticed, the entire Yu-Gi-Oh series LOVES motorcycles. They were both in DM and GX numerous times. Also the riding duels, in my opinion, creates a new edge on the "SRS" dueling experience.. its fast-paced and new elements are incorporated to bring something fresh instead of the old "Hey! Lets stand around and play a card game!..durhur." Yeah. Most of the people who "hate" both GX and 5D's haven't even bothered watching more than a couple episodes or they are just too stuck on the fact that it isn't Yugi/Yami anymore. And WATCH, once LK does whatever he plans on doing with 5D's, everyone of you will be all over this shit.

And to be completely honest with all of you. GX is my favorite series out of the whole YGO series. And Jaden/Judai is my favorite character. I feel bad for him because he gets so much of the hate, its not even funny anymore. The annoying personality is sort of there for a reason as well.. This show is basically the life of Judai and how he comes to realise his duties and becoming a man. His personality AND looks changes much after visiting the Dark World and fusing with Yubel. And 5D's surpasses DM in my honest opinion as well. It has an amazing storyline, well-researched/accurate history Easter eggs, kick-ass female characters, believable male characters, worthy villains, and beautiful fluid art/animation.

All in all....

DM = GX = 5D's
which all equal to
YU-GI-OH = Game King
And each respective protagonist is the "game king" of their own generation.

Last edited by Owl; 05-21-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2010

whitch 5D's? the anime or abridge?
Old 05-21-2010

It's a genuinely good show. It has a plot, decent characters, and it's much better than the trainweck that GX was.
Old 05-21-2010

Blurb: umm......lemme think.

mm--

i tried sitting through another few episodes a couple hours ago and genuinely couldn't do it. >.< to each their own, i guess.
Old 05-21-2010

We're talking about the actual show(s), not the abridged parodies.

I gave up on watching DM after a while because the plot was progressing too slowly. Sure, there are still a lot of card games, but they at least incorporate a good amount of backstory to keep things interesting. Oh, and they play BOTH riding (turbo) duels and standard duels. Each have different rules.

DM was alright, and even exceptional in some cases. There were also several things which really ticked me off:
* constant card games with lack of adequate plot progression
* no long-standing female characters who are integral to the plot
* too much repetition in the form of card games
* did I mention the fact the plot was very slow?

I agree highly with what Owl said. Instead of just bashing the shows because they are sequels, watch them and judge afterwards. Sure, you may still not like them, but making an uneducated assumption is just stupid. Who knows, you might actually like it.

I think 5Ds is better than DM, to be honest. I'm not going to judge GX as I haven't watched it.

For those whining about Jaden/Judai being an annoying childish character, note that a large element of a good storyline is character development. Maybe the creator made him a naive character so he could develop his personality during the show?
Old 05-23-2010

Blurb: My English is bad, I know.

Uhm..I only watched one episode, let's say I expected worse :P
Old 05-23-2010

Ha, I see. I'll assume it's episode 1. The show gets more interesting later on when the story progresses.

Unrelated: I LOL'ed at this comparison. Black frame is Dub, Gold frame is Japanese. Note that they um... censored the dragon equivalent of man-boobs in the shot:

Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconia Dominus View Post
Ha, I see. I'll assume it's episode 1. The show gets more interesting later on when the story progresses.
Oh wait, I watched two episodes, the first one and one where that Jack-guy goes on a 'date' with that girl, who I like to call 'the Mokuba-imitator'
Old 05-24-2010

HAHA, I love how fail the date is. I would expect more people to like 5Ds as they corrected many of the issues in the previous series'.

Oh, and they have canon romances, for any fangirls out there. Not that I'm interested.
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
HAHA, I love how fail the date is. I would expect more people to like 5Ds as they corrected many of the issues in the previous series'.

Oh, and they have canon romances, for any fangirls out there. Not that I'm interested.
Yeah, I have to admit, I actually liked that episode, Jack's face was hilarious.

I'm gonna try to watch a few more episodes of 5D's to look if it's something for me, if not, I'm just gonna stick with YGOTAS.
Old 05-24-2010

Okay, have fun. I would personally highly recommend the Japanese version. Later in the series (Dark Signer arc), there is a lot of backstory with dark elements. They are probably censored out of the 4Kids version. Oh, and characters fall out of buildings in one episode.

Also, note I changed my avatar to a Jack avatar with a shocked expression :P
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Okay, have fun. I would personally highly recommend the Japanese version. Later in the series (Dark Signer arc), there is a lot of backstory with dark elements. They are probably censored out of the 4Kids version. Oh, and characters fall out of buildings in one episode.

Also, note I changed my avatar to a Jack avatar with a shocked expression :P
Yeah, I'm probably gonna watch the Japanese version, cause sometimes I just can't stand 4kids.

XD, but where's his cool hat (not)
Old 05-24-2010

HAHA, Jack doesn't normally wear his hat. Regarding censorship, I did post that pic of Stardust's dragon man-boobs being censored lol

Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
HAHA, Jack doesn't normally wear his hat. Regarding censorship, I did post that pic of Stardust's dragon man-boobs being censored lol

I love how Carly is really freaking out and Jack just has a 'Boring' face.

Lol, example number one :)
Old 05-24-2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8fOyKggZ60

THIS.
Old 05-30-2010

Blurb: i can't think of anything clever to put here. :/

i haven't watched this series, but i don't think it'll be that bad..

i thought gx was going to be HORRIBLE, but i actually liked it *gets shot*

i'm probably in the minority though.
Old 05-30-2010

It's each to their own. I don't understand people who dislike the spinoffs just because it's not Yugi anymore. Sure, Jaden/Juudai is a bit of an annoying character, but it adds to the essence of the show in a way.

I would recommend you watch an episode just to get a taste of what it's like, LMAO.

On a totally unrelated sidenote:
Old 05-30-2010

Quote:
It's each to their own. I don't understand people who dislike the spinoffs just because it's not Yugi anymore. Sure, Jaden/Juudai is a bit of an annoying character, but it adds to the essence of the show in a way.

I would recommend you watch an episode just to get a taste of what it's like, LMAO.

On a totally unrelated sidenote:
lol, awesome gif!

yeah i want to, but i've been too lazy to get around to downloading the subs. :f granted i could just watch the reruns on saturday mornings, but i'd rather be shot than watch another anime dubbed by 4kids. ><
Old 05-30-2010

Here's an Index. Enjoy:
http://www.animea.net/download/1266/Yu-Gi-Oh+5Ds.html

And thanks :)

I know, 4Kids does awful stuff to anime. Sure, we don't want little kids seeing certain things, but why take something targeted at a teenage audience and censor it to piss everyone off?

Sidenote: Not all of the card games are played on motorcycles. Oh, and people crash their motorcycles every now and then. It's fun to watch.
Old 05-30-2010

Blurb: Aliquis faber suae fortunae est.

5D ...
I don't like it because there are other characters =p
That's the only reason xD
Old 05-30-2010

I don't see what's wrong with other characters. Would be interesting to see someone provide a good, genuine reason why they don't like 'other characters'.
Old 05-30-2010

Blurb: Aliquis faber suae fortunae est.

I just can not get used.
I get attached to these characters xD
I'm stupid ^^.
Old 05-30-2010

i went on a 5ds binge yesterday night (7 eps, whoa!) and I have to admit, it's not as bad as everyone told me it'd be. the one thing i noticed was that the art was a lot better than the original series

but yeah, it's definitely like watching a new anime...there's very little (if anything) to do with ygo dm

unless you count the children's card games. which, as draconia pointed out, are indeed played on motorcycles C:
Old 05-30-2010

Blurb: "Perhaps it is a magical bosom?"-Zevran

People also die more in 5Ds.