This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010

Blurb: Precocious Aristo-Urchin

Alright, my reaction to this episode was ...mixed. Possibly even polar.

I'll see if I can go through it in a useful way.

The original animation - I'm sorry to whoever put the work into doing this, but I hope it doesn't appear again. It looked lovely, but my favourite aspect of YGOTAS is that it makes fun of the series itself, and making original animations I feel takes Abridged away from that and what made it funny in the first place - making fun of the faults of that actual series.

Actually, I can probably skip over a lot of my points with just summarising it like this - I want to see a return to making fun of the original series. Less in-jokes, 'Family Guy moments', singing etc.

I hope the original title sequence comes back, but the mention of Kroze didn't bother me. I understand he puts a lot of hard work into abridged in regards to the site/conventions.

The aibou joke was funny - making fun of the original series/fandom foibles! Love it! The ending was also quite funny.

In regards to TeamFourStar, I mostly enjoyed DBZ Abridged, so as long as their participation is minimal much like LK's is in DBZ Abridged, I'm willing to give them a try.

In general Malik/Bakura interaction was amusing, but same jokes were overused (and again with the previous references/in-jokes). Maybe this break will help you with new material, as that's what I'd love.

Basically, I think this episode panders a little too much to LK's dumber fans. Yeah, maybe that sounds elitist, but is an animation of a lightsaber duel/American Disney show references/previous references really that funny?

Then again, there were moments that were funny. The YGOTAS that really hooked and drew me in is still there, it's just maybe taking a misdirection. There's nothing wrong with trying a few new things this episode, and that's what feedback is about after all.

(This post is horribly incoherent. Go me!)
Old 01-12-2010

Blurb: My name is Zimbabwe-nese for "She who has no life."
Default Reply to Loxes

Quote:
The original animation - I'm sorry to whoever put the work into doing this, but I hope it doesn't appear again. It looked lovely, but my favourite aspect of YGOTAS is that it makes fun of the series itself, and making original animations I feel takes Abridged away from that and what made it funny in the first place - making fun of the faults of that actual series.

I found the opening animation funny, since it picked up on the previous episode's joke and it was pretty straight to the point (Apart from the N:TAS reference. A little overused now.) The second animation I found was the most lacking (omg. Making fun of Disney. What a new and refreshing concept...) but it was okay. It ended pretty quick. :P

Quote:
Actually, I can probably skip over a lot of my points with just summarising it like this - I want to see a return to making fun of the original series. Less in-jokes, 'Family Guy moments', singing etc.
You do have a point. I liked the episode for what it is. The finale of Season 2. It's supposed to be different, and the fact whether people like it or not is up to them.

And yet, I completely agree with some of the comments. The "Zorc and Cody" bit did feel a bit like a cheap shot (e.g: Cody's over-the-top acting.) but it also provides a bit of humor (What WOULD a Disney show look like if it had Zorc in it?)

I would also like LK to poke fun at the series, hence why the "children's card game" joke never gets old. :D (For me, at least. Remember, this is only my opinion, guys.)

Seeing Yu-gi-oh Abridged turn into Family Guy? *Shudders* Never...

Quote:
I hope the original title sequence comes back, but the mention of Kroze didn't bother me. I understand he puts a lot of hard work into abridged in regards to the site/conventions.
It didn't bother me either. Moving right along.

Quote:
The aibou joke was funny - making fun of the original series/fandom foibles! Love it! The ending was also quite funny.
Yes, I found that hilarious as well. I personally think that most of the charm of YGOTAS stems from random and unexpected jokes (Hence why I burst out laughing at Tristan's "Oh my god!!! Who's Team4star?" It was just unexpected and funny.)

Quote:
In regards to TeamFourStar, I mostly enjoyed DBZ Abridged, so as long as their participation is minimal much like LK's is in DBZ Abridged, I'm willing to give them a try.
Again, I completly agree with you. This is "Yu-gi-oh: The Abridged Series" not "Yu-gi-oh: a Side Project of Team4star." I'm not saying the show is becoming this (No harm in guest stars after all. Linkara = <3) I just don't want it to BECOME this.

Quote:
In general Malik/Bakura interaction was amusing, but same jokes were overused (and again with the previous references/in-jokes). Maybe this break will help you with new material, as that's what I'd love.
I ADORE it when Marik and Bakura/Florence are interacting and I specially enjoyed Bakura's "bloody" outburst. And yes. Season 3 will hopefully yield shiny new material. :3

Quote:
Basically, I think this episode panders a little too much to LK's dumber fans. Yeah, maybe that sounds elitist, but is an animation of a lightsaber duel/American Disney show references/previous references really that funny?
Hmm. I find it somewhat true. Funny how LK occasinaly pokes fun at an abridged series' cliches and sometimes falls prey to them. Oh well. Not like the whole series is ruined or anything.

Quote:
Then again, there were moments that were funny. The YGOTAS that really hooked and drew me in is still there, it's just maybe taking a misdirection. There's nothing wrong with trying a few new things this episode, and that's what feedback is about after all.
:D HOORAY! A rationnal fan!

Quote:
(This post is horribly incoherent. Go me!)
Go ME for referencing your post and not making my own...

As for my other opinions, I'm surprised no one commented on the Yami/Yugi exchange, was adorable and hilarious. (your soul is LAME. XD!)

All in all, it's an episode that's supposed to be different and combines the new and the old. Old because the season closed without much new material for LK to work with and therefore resulted to a few running gags (of witch Your Mileage May Vary). New because LK is experimenting with new mediums (Animation, different voice actor for new voice...)

Trust me guys. Your opinion on this one episode isn't worth insulting each other or getting up in LK's face about. This series is made for one thing: Entertainment. Don't ruin it for others. Although if you want to, be constructive about it. :P

(Holy damn, I type slow...)
Old 01-12-2010
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

Quote:
I lol'd.
Old 01-13-2010

Blurb: I am the Monk of Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkeyressa View Post
As for my other opinions, I'm surprised no one commented on the Yami/Yugi exchange, was adorable and hilarious. (your soul is LAME. XD!)
Lol, that line was actually my favorite from the episode! It's my new insult of the week.
Old 01-13-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelKyota View Post
LK did say "Aibou" correct (see Yami's lines in sub),
Aibou means: pal or partner, the joke is Yami says it waaaaaaaay too many times :P in sub version.
well, that's what he calls yugi. yugi calls him "mou-hitori-no-boku" (pretty much "other me") all the time, which personally I find way too long to be a convenient name in everyday life, but maybe that's just me.

both are prime pickings for joke sourcing though ^ ^
Old 01-13-2010
Administrator

I think people are missing something HUGE with the Zorc & Cody sequence... it less about making fun of a Disney show then it is about giving two things that happened over the course of the season over several episodes closure.

First off, we have found out that Zorc actually did get a job on a new series despite he fits in just as horribly as on his LAST show (Thus making it only a matter of time before he gets thrown off).
Then we also learn from this sequence which head was which due to only one is still alive due to the other falling off the blimp.

That gives closure to two running gags that have been carrying on throughout the season, which as season finale is suppose to give closure in some way to stuff.

Now to everyone saying there was too much Marik/Bakura/Melvin in this episode, you guys DO realize that IS everything that makes up the final two episodes of the real season 2 minus the card game that transpires.
The whole point of this episode was to turn it into something that felt like an actual season finale instead of what actually happened in the show where it just kinda ended with nothing really happening.

The original opening sequence will return for Season 3 (No reason why it wouldn't), the lack of it in this episode was much like the sudden lack of an opening sequence in every season finale of Battlestar Galactica. Season Finales are suppose to be events that shake up things and this episode was no different.

This episode is anything but pandering to the dumber fans... you guys are really just looking at this episode very much on surface value. I think over time this episode will really be one that grows on people.

Finally, about all the worries about TFS and it becoming "Yu-gi-oh: a Side Project of Team4star." should be shaken off when you realize just how long this "side arc" lasts and how often all these new characters are even together (Answers: not long and not much).

This episode was suppose to catch people off guard, and in that respect, it did even though it seems with YGO:TAS a lot of people want the same ol same ol "Give us Season 1 style YGO:TAS" instead of different things.
Go with the flow people... as much as things change, some things stay the same.
Old 01-13-2010

Blurb: i make films with kroze.
Send a message via AIM to BryyMiller Send a message via MSN to BryyMiller

lol Kroze, you just opened yourself up to a SHITLOAD of "but i don't want to think when watching YGOTAS" comments.
Old 01-13-2010

Blurb: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle...the hardest choice known to man...

^ What Kroze said.
Old 01-13-2010

Blurb: I am the Monk of Space

I agree with Kroze. *is shot*
Old 01-13-2010
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
I think people are missing something HUGE with the Zorc & Cody sequence... it less about making fun of a Disney show then it is about giving two things that happened over the course of the season over several episodes closure.

First off, we have found out that Zorc actually did get a job on a new series despite he fits in just as horribly as on his LAST show (Thus making it only a matter of time before he gets thrown off).
Then we also learn from this sequence which head was which due to only one is still alive due to the other falling off the blimp.

That gives closure to two running gags that have been carrying on throughout the season, which as season finale is suppose to give closure in some way to stuff.

Now to everyone saying there was too much Marik/Bakura/Melvin in this episode, you guys DO realize that IS everything that makes up the final two episodes of the real season 2 minus the card game that transpires.
The whole point of this episode was to turn it into something that felt like an actual season finale instead of what actually happened in the show where it just kinda ended with nothing really happening.

The original opening sequence will return for Season 3 (No reason why it wouldn't), the lack of it in this episode was much like the sudden lack of an opening sequence in every season finale of Battlestar Galactica. Season Finales are suppose to be events that shake up things and this episode was no different.

This episode is anything but pandering to the dumber fans... you guys are really just looking at this episode very much on surface value. I think over time this episode will really be one that grows on people.

Finally, about all the worries about TFS and it becoming "Yu-gi-oh: a Side Project of Team4star." should be shaken off when you realize just how long this "side arc" lasts and how often all these new characters are even together (Answers: not long and not much).

This episode was suppose to catch people off guard, and in that respect, it did even though it seems with YGO:TAS a lot of people want the same ol same ol "Give us Season 1 style YGO:TAS" instead of different things.
Go with the flow people... as much as things change, some things stay the same.
I agree with this.
Old 01-13-2010
Draw all the things!

Location: The wind under my wings has carried me to where the sun sails and the moon walks
Blurb: Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
Send a message via MSN to kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHannahx View Post
^ What Kroze said.
this ^
Old 01-13-2010

Of course everyone will agree with Kroze, he's not speculating, he's setting the record straight, no need to all start making posts about how you want to make sweet monkey love to him....or is that just me :)

I still don't get why everyone freaked out earlier, it's a thread for comments on a parody episode, not a place to have a mental breakdown because a second long introduction sequence was absent XD

PS: Love the show, it's always funny one way or another, there's some funnier than others, but overall I always get some laughs from watching.
Old 01-13-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFluffykins View Post
Of course everyone will agree with Kroze, he's not speculating, he's setting the record straight, no need to all start making posts about how you want to make sweet monkey love to him....or is that just me
This caused me to lol quite a bit. Cheers!
Old 01-13-2010

Talking Reply to Kroooooooze!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
Whoops. My bad. I did get a little carried away with my opinion, and, to be fair, I enjoyed their scenes. (penguins lol) I was just pointing out that YGOTAS must stay YGOTAS. And it will. :D

I have a (rather pertinent) question. Will KaiserNeko and Co. be doing these voices for the remainder of the series, or was it just a "guest star" thing? I don't mind them doing the voices for season 3 since KaiserNeko's Noah Kaiba does sound pretty cool. :3 The question is purely out of curiousity.
Old 01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFluffykins View Post
Of course everyone will agree with Kroze, he's not speculating, he's setting the record straight, no need to all start making posts about how you want to make sweet monkey love to him....or is that just me :)

I still don't get why everyone freaked out earlier, it's a thread for comments on a parody episode, not a place to have a mental breakdown because a second long introduction sequence was absent XD

PS: Love the show, it's always funny one way or another, there's some funnier than others, but overall I always get some laughs from watching.
Must. Make. Love. Kroze.

*Ahem*

You're right. I mean, it's not like we're discusing shipping or anything... It's just a parody. If you want to get worked up, at least get worked up over the REAL thing. XD
This series was made purely for enjoyment and if no one enjoys it, than it won't be enjoyment... It will be de-joyment!

*Crikets chirping*

*Sgih* Oh well. They can't all be winners...
Old 01-13-2010
Rides Kaiba

It doesn't matter anymore.
Old 01-13-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkeyressa View Post
I have a (rather pertinent) question. Will KaiserNeko and Co. be doing these voices for the remainder of the series, or was it just a "guest star" thing? I don't mind them doing the voices for season 3 since KaiserNeko's Noah Kaiba does sound pretty cool. :3 The question is purely out of curiousity.
They are indeed those voices for as long as those characters stick around.
I am sure by the time season 3 rolls around in a couple months that people will understand why it had to be this way and maybe once we are in to season 3 there will be a greater appreciation for this episode doing what it needed to do.

Lots of fun stuff coming up in Season 3 so hold on to your hats!
Old 01-13-2010
Rides Kaiba

Most people don't wear hats.

._.
Old 01-13-2010

Hairdos then ;-)

I'm really looking forward to it.
TAS has been decreasing a little recently (it's still good though), so I'm intersted in how Noah will be introduced into the picture.
Most of the other characters' jokes have become a bit overused so a new character will bring in some fresh ideas^^
Old 01-13-2010
Rides Kaiba

I agree.
Old 01-13-2010

Blurb: Burn the witch! (I know, it's Tristan's catchphrase, watch you gonna do about it?)
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooklyn Rage! 2

awsome episode!!
Old 01-15-2010

"Kroze is going to die Tonight" from Magfest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkmWM4F_7PM

Not the New Years Eve version, which had the entire concert hall singing.
Old 01-15-2010

Kroze, will it be a while for Season 3, like most shows are, or will it just start in like a month or 2? I am just so excited. This is like my favorite episode.
Old 01-15-2010

Eh, I can wait. I don't want it to be rushed or anything...
Old 01-15-2010

This episode was goood~
especially Noah's part ^_^

I have been laughing for days :O
XD
Old 01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokie View Post
This episode was goood~
especially Noah's part ^_^
Quoted for truth!
Old 01-16-2010

Yeah, I liked Noah's part too.

DEATH BY PENGUINS!
Old 01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1we View Post
Kroze, will it be a while for Season 3, like most shows are, or will it just start in like a month or 2? I am just so excited. This is like my favorite episode.
It depends on LK's schedule.
Old 01-17-2010

Blurb: "Guns are for show, cards for a pro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonWalker View Post
Most people don't wear hats.
I DO!

"Tristan(Newbies) doesnt count"...

I DO!

*Clears throat* right.
First and foremost. THANK YOU Kroze for slaping the crying babies in the backseat silent.

Now conscerning episode 46.

Only thing i disliked was Mariks incesant Celtic Guardian naging (thou Bakuras reactions to it was amusing)

The rest was various levels of awesomeness.

My only conscern is wether the whole battle city tournament thingy will actualy be finished or if the destruction of the 4th wall will have us thrown into that "The Matrix"-thingamajig computer world to *gasp* Take the fight with 4Kids head on.

Either way, to all those involved in the creation of the episode and the rest of the series, Keep it up however YOU want it. This might sound hypocritical coming from a fan, but no mater the amount of animosity fanboys/girls or haters or whatever gives you for how you might chose to do things, dont let it get to you. In the end you are the Judges, jurrys and executioners of wether the episodes are good or not.

*Ducks and covers to avoid any iminent flaming*
Old 01-17-2010
Rides Kaiba

Whatever way LK meant for it to come out wasn't what people got out of it. You can't blame people for not catching such loose references to things (like the BSG ending) when there was so much stuff going on. That's explaining yourself and you should never have to explain how something worked. It either did or it didn't.