This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

I know that, but I merely feel like discussions that are mostly theological (i.e. the existence of God) are better left to their own topics.
Old 05-11-2008

Like I said, we have exhausted everything else, then this topic should die. But I want to keep it open and explore all the possible means to the beginning of life and the possibility's of life else where and the only way to keep that is by touching the touchy topic that has started wars.

But since that this is a forum, I do not believe that we need worry about the affects of nuclear war and ending all life as we know it. Then placing this discussion utterly pointless. No, we must then touch on "Is there really a God?".

If you do not feel comfortable talking about this then you are free to leave this discussion at any time. Another joy and wonder of the internet forums.
Old 05-11-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

It's not that I feel uncomfortable about it at all. In fact, it's just the opposite. The reason I'm trying to stay more strictly on topic is that topics that turn "religious" are often locked, and I would hate to lose such a (mostly) intelligent conversation.

I actually like to talk about religion quite a bit. I just didn't want the topic to be locked for us getting too far out from the actual "intelligent life" discussion. I will continue to post here regardless.
Old 05-11-2008

There are no rules that deem religious topics "wrong or against the rules". But if it leads to a flame war then thats why they get locked.

It seems as tho most of us that post in this topic have at least 2 brain cells, and do not take any offense from another users opinions but take it on board in order to broaden their own opinions.

If it gets locked then I will protest against it as this is one of the only topics in the entire forums where it seems as tho there are some intelligent people here. The cloning topic sure sparked my interest but this one has more potential, along with a more interesting subject that has a much broader opinon factor. Making a more interesting topic.
Old 05-11-2008

Uh oh, someone has resorted to "you make yourself look like an idiot" argument.
Quote:
The bible, there is evidence. "thats not evidence" well yes that may be true, but theres more evidence in the bible then you have to prove he isnt. So since you have no hard evidence that he does not exist, then by your logic of having no evidence then there must be a God.
I guess it's time to bring up my personal favourite... the dragon.
Old 05-11-2008

That proves what?. You still have no evidence to say that God Does Not exist. You just showed me something about a kid and his pet Dragon.

That has no point to this topic what so ever, like I said if you do intend to join this conversation, please use facts based on the discussion. Otherwise do not post here. How hard is that to understand.

Your logic is "If there is no evidence then it is wrong"

My Evidence is the bible.
Your evidence is a story about a kid and his invisible dragon.

My evidence proves that God Exists
Your evidence proves that the kid may or may not really have a real dragon.

By your logic there is a God.
Old 05-11-2008

I have heard of this analogy before, but when referencing religion, it's a bit fallacious. It doesn't do anything toward disproving the very existence of God; it just strongly suggests that you should not entirely trust claims that invisible creatures are living among humans. Since God doesn't live among humans, anyway, this wouldn't work so well.

All your argument seems to say is, if I cannot experience it with my senses, or with modern tools to heighten senses, it does not exist. Following that logic, it would have been perfectly fine for people who have never used microscopes to deny the existence of microscopic particles, simply because they could not experience it for themselves.

One way or another, human beings still do not know everything there is to know about our universe. God is not something humans can fully understand, in my belief. The Bible is one compilation of testimony that something above and beyond us exists; it is one of many such compilations created throughout history. So to use such a fallacious argument, refusing to even hear the testimony, is very one-sided and parochial. That is just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2008

My Problem with the Big bang is where did the particles that caused the big bang come from?

So the only logical answer I can come up with is "a higher power i.e. God.

That asks a new question where did God come from.

Common answer "Hes always there"

Yeah ok that makes perfect sense. So by that definition there is no beginning. God just one day opened his eyes, and there it was just like a brand new house. A universe with nothing in it, "hmm" he thought to him self. "Lets make atoms and Molecules and see what happens.

*Bang* The Universe just appeared. You see I can never think how it all started because to me both Creatism and The Big Bang theory (Not the popular Tv show) work together. But then how did it all start? why did it all start?

Since we have covered the topic on The big bang and evolution, lets now look into the topic about Creatism and what it really means.

Lets face it The Big Bang and Evolution go together, so Creatism and we just being humans go together. Unless we can find out how Evolution and Creatism come together.

Since we can not really have originated from two people (Adam and Eve), or can we? Two people have massive families that spread to this day over billions of people?

Or does Adam and Eve just stand for Man and Woman, how many did he make? Then where are the Dinosaurs? how do they fit it, I Have never read about them in the bible yet we have their fossiles and bones.

Did they not mention them in the bible because they had not discovered them at the time and the people that wrote the bible had not imagined such large beasts?. So therefore was the bible just made up by a group of people that god bored and drunk one night? since then it has become the most popular book in history.

Please answer and elaborate on my questions. Towards the end of this topic we shall compare Creatism and The Big bang theory properly at the end so we may make a more concice conclusion.
Old 05-11-2008

ARGUMENT FROM INTELLIGENCE
(1) Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid Atheists — it's too complicated for you to understand. God exists whether you like it or not.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
Old 05-11-2008

Please do not come back to this topic if you are going to insult us like this.

This is a serious discussion, and if you can not talk in a proper manner then you are not welcome here.
Old 05-11-2008

Sorry? I did not intend to insult you.
Old 05-11-2008

Quote:
Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid Atheists
Old 05-11-2008

It's called a non-sequiteur, man.
Old 05-11-2008

Quote:
There is no evidence, or even anything that points to God existing.

There is no need for God.

Still, people claim God exists.

Doesn't make any sense.

ARGUMENT FROM INTELLIGENCE
(1) Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid Atheists — it's too complicated for you to understand. God exists whether you like it or not.
(2) Therefore, God exists.
So you are a hypocrite then try to insult us then call it a non-sequiteur?

It seems you have nothing realistic to add to this discussion any way so why do you bother?

Like I said please do not post here, I do not want this topic locked because of a flame war you are trying to start.
Old 05-11-2008

Blurb: "Oh yeah, WillPhanto1, he's a trippy dude." -Andrew Soto
Send a message via MSN to WillPhanto1

You know, when I mentioned God, I was simply trying to point out that whether you listen only to science or religion, that both sides give the possibility.
*Science, with no matter how high the odds, the odds are equal through out the universe, and that we were not special, and that there must be other planets with Intelligent life much like are own.
*Religion, as far as Judaism and Christianity are concerned, I have not heard of any writing denying life outside of earth. I've heard about a verse that something like ". . . The Lord went on to create a thousand other worlds" which could mean he create life elsewhere in the universe. I think that verse is somewhere in the writings of the prophets.

And look Henriksson, your argument that there's no God doesn't tie into the conversation at all. Unless you're going to give a scientific reason whether there is, or isn't Intelligent life, please do not bother us.

Anyway, more the subject. A question of there being Intelligent life is how far along are they. Do you think there's any race out there that has the ability of Intergalactic travel without Time dilation? Or you do think they may still be in the "1950's" of sorts.
Old 05-11-2008

Thats even if they are similar to humans, did you read the link I posted to Steven hawking's lecture?
Old 05-11-2008

Blurb: "Oh yeah, WillPhanto1, he's a trippy dude." -Andrew Soto
Send a message via MSN to WillPhanto1

No, I didn't read Steven hawking's lecture yet, but I bookmarked it for later.
And I've could have easily said Stone Age, Bronze Age, or Medieval Period. I don't know, I think it would be funny for us to one day accomplish Intergalactic travel, go to a planet with Intelligent life, and find that they're decades or even centuries behind us. Since most people think of super-advanced beings when they think of life elsewhere in the universe.
Old 05-11-2008
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Wow, this sure has taken off without me. Forgive my back-tracking, but I want to address a few points that have been brought up earlier.
Quote:
My Problem with the Big bang is where did the particles that caused the big bang come from?
This is an interesting question, This does not, however, provide any sort of foot hold for creationism to stand on. You already believe that God created the universe and he himself has always existed, correct? Is it that much of a stretch to believe that the particles that were used in the big bang had always existed? It seems much more probable to me that the universe began with condensed matter rather than with an infinitely complex being such as a god. It could even be that our universe was created from the collapsed remains of a previous one, This is all just speculation, but I consider it to be more credible than a divine creator.
Quote:
I've heard about a verse that something like ". . . The Lord went on to create a thousand other worlds" which could mean he create life elsewhere in the universe.
I would be very interested in learning which verse this is. I have read the bible completely and I do not recall anything of this nature. I may have simply missed it because the bible isn't exactly the most entertaining book to read, so if you know any more about it please bring it up.

As for the advancement of hypothetical life forms, I think it would be much more plausible if they had evolved into something completely different than humans. They may even have evolved beyond the need for technology. For their civilization to progress the same way humans have, a myraid of factors would have to remain constant, such as their capacity for greed and violence. The history of mankind is filled with wars and oppression. It would be very interesting to study a civilization that was not so aggressive.
Old 05-19-2008

Quote:
This topic seems to be leaning more and more towards a biblical discussion...
Yeah sorry for starting that...

But natural selection i actually dont beleive in any more i heard evidence elsewhere that proved me wrong. I stand by my adaptation claim because how could you explain all the different races of humans?

I also beleive maybe that all the other worlds were when god was like," no this one sucks...no...no...ahh lets have this one next to those ones..." and so on. We need darkarcher in here. He is the most religious person on here most likely.
Old 05-21-2008

WOW Iam back, so we can continue this haha.

God made all the worlds so if he thought one place sucked, he couldnt just fix it?
Old 05-21-2008

Ok sorry for this I don't like going all religious in threads...

God wanted us to have free will. He didn't want to force us to do things he wants. He wants us to make our own things. God won't interfere with the things that are big like war. He knows the outcome anyways. He helps us through other people and others don't even notice it. We can make things better ourselves but god isn't going to snap his fingers and make it all better.
Old 05-22-2008
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

I think one of the best arguments against the existance of God is the amount of "wasted space" in the universe. If we are God's chosen people, why do we live in a small corner of a near infinite universe? On top of that, why do we live on a planet that is 90% uninhabitable by humans? Why would God create so much extra stuff in the universe if earth was the most important planet?

Alien life dosen't make sense from a religious standpoint. I think we should focus more on the scientific aspect of this topic.
Old 05-22-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

Quote:
Why would God create so much extra stuff in the universe if earth was the most important planet?
Because the entire point of the universe, from a religious perspective, is God's glory. He created the entire universe, in all it's expansiveness, basically because He could.

Anyway, back to the scientific perspective. I still find the odds of any second form of intelligent life existing in the universe to be practically impossible.
Old 05-22-2008

I agree with darkarcher everything he said. But scientifically I think it is highly unlikely that a planet exists so perfectly placed and made as ours. Our planet is a perfect distance from the sun just enough so we can exist.
Old 05-22-2008

explain venus
Old 05-23-2008

I think we need to finish searching for life on our OWN planet first. The large majority of the rain forest, antarctic and the ocean are completely unexplored. Before we can begin to comprehend life on other planets, we need to fully comprehend life on our own.
Old 05-23-2008

Sophie speaks... but what do you mean explain venus? Venus sucks. It has too many storms and other things...
Old 05-23-2008
Boss

desu
Old 05-23-2008

Well, I don't really see the point of arguing any longer if nobody else beleives in a biblical point of veiw except for DarkArcher. The scientific aproach and the biblical approach are two entirely different things. There is no place in between.
Old 05-23-2008

Quote:
here was a large exhibition not long ago in which scientists had simulated life that might develop on planets much different from our own - including one with extremely dense air where these huge air-whale things had evolved, and another one on which the sun only ever shone on one side
Wow that sounds really interesting. Is there any online versions/information/ANYTHING of that exhibit by chance?