This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Megumi Ogata is win.
Old 09-29-2009

Blurb: "I hope the island doesn't swim away or something...that would ruin my day"

When I was a kid, I absolutely LOVED Yugioh. Especially the 1st season. However, I kinda lost interest in the whole series. But come to think of it, it IS better than quite a few of the animes I've been seeing recently on TV over here (blue dragon is an example). Its spinoffs (and I'm telling you this through the eyes of a 9/10 year-old) are shit, for example.

But yes, I suggest you give the first season a try.
Old 09-29-2009
Banned

Blurb: Row row fight the power!

The first part of season zero isn't that bad. Yami's completely twisted and pretty much a dick, which is pretty cool, and Yugi looks and acts like a five year old, but it's fun.
Old 10-16-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYourGameOn View Post
I've heard people saying it was good.
lol
Old 12-10-2009

Smile

I just finished watching the first series and I loved it.
I pretty much overlooked the poor animation (as I did with Takahashi's style during the first few manga) and it was really good.
The charakters are way better developed and exist as singulars as well, not only as Yugi's Friendship-Collective.
I especially enjoyed Honda, the difference between him and Jounouchi was WAY better outlined in the first series than later on.
Miho was kind of a nuiscance but having a cool Anzu kinda made up for that.
Go Anzu go!!!

What I would really wish for woul be a remade first series in the style (or at least quality) of the Duel Monsters series (particulary Battle City, that one was really sweet on the eyes).
Old 12-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I especially enjoyed Honda, the difference between him and Jounouchi was WAY better outlined in the first series than later on.
I agree about the side characters. Even Miho had a whole couple of episodes revolving around her. Having the usual "villain of the week" format before the introduction of a deeper storyline would have helped the pacing for the later series, too. If only the concept of the Shadow Games had remained this nebulous concept of judging souls with vaguely defined magical powers, instead of the later iteration of vaguely defined magical trading cards.

Does the Duel Monsters series ever explain whether Yugi is aware of Yami? I know in Season 0 and the manga, he actually has a freak-out during the Death-T arc and confesses to the others that he blacks out and can't remember things sometimes, but I don't remember how they resolved that in the second series.
Old 12-29-2009

I think it's kinda explained during the duel against Bakura in Duelist Kingdom.
Here, Yugi sees his Alter Ego for the first time, as well as the other characters.
At the end of this episode, Yugi and his Other Me also have an actual conversation for the first time (wherein, the Pharao introduces himself as Yami in the 4KIDS-dub).
S'pose, this was kind of a substitute for the boardgame episodes of the first series/manga.

But apart from that, everyboy just seems to accept that Yugi is a shizophrenic with a manic, game-pwning split personality ;-)
Old 01-18-2010

Blurb: "The dark Hour holds your destany"
Send a message via Yahoo to Persona

I thought it was good, the first season is worth checking out. Thought i have to say that season 0 was awesome. I guess it just all depends on how you look at the show.
Old 01-18-2010

Blurb: "The dark Hour holds your destany"
Send a message via Yahoo to Persona

I thought it was good, the first season is worth checking out. Thought i have to say that season 0 was awesome. I guess it just all depends on how you look at the show.
Old 03-21-2010

Blurb: Nyeh :3

watcing Yu Gi Oh makes me want to pull out my cards and duel someone. lol too bad I don't have enough for a deck :( well, thank God for Gameboy Advance =D (i'm old school I know)
Old 03-21-2010

I watched season 0. six years old remember watching the episode about the "beautiful" school VP was it?
But the penalty game scared me to death when i was 5.
Old 06-06-2010

Send a message via MSN to SMGstring

I'm in the middle of the orichalcos (sp) arc. This is about where I stopped watching as a kid, and I don't know if I could survive watching the next season AND GX without slitting my wrist with a trading card.
Old 06-18-2010

Blurb: "Fred the Deacon is watching every unholy move you make."

Yes. YGOTAS is much funnier if you watch the first season of the 4Kids dub.
Old 09-20-2010

Send a message via MSN to Angela_Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
Meh. The manga version is way better.

Japanese version is way better than American version.... cof... cof... 4kids....cof!