This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2009

Send a message via AIM to Umbreon
Default Higurashi When They Cry

It's kind of a freaky anime/manga. What do you think of it?
Old 06-15-2009
AssterGray Mod

Blurb: i set my clocks early cos i know i'm always late
Send a message via MSN to AsterGray

Only got through the second arc and I still don't understand it...
Other than that, It's an awesome anime.
Old 06-15-2009

This is probably one of my favourite animes. I've seen the series 1 and 2 of the anime but none of the manga so I couldn't compare them.
Got the feeling that it was supposed to be confusing at first and so sat back and hoped it would make sense by the end. It managed to be surprising and still be understandable on the whole. I don't know whether it is something to do with the characters or the plot that shines. Probably both, after all that is possible. Heard that it was creepy and violent before watching it, and so the first episode (minus the bits right at the beginning and end) wasn't what I expected- it seemed too childish. Am very glad I carried on watching.
Old 12-02-2009

Location: in austria, you don't have to know the town, really.^^
Send a message via ICQ to eve-chan

I'm just watching the 16th episode(after i left out 14 and 15 because neither keiichi nor rena or shion/mion were there) and i love it x3 especially rena, she seems to be the one with the most extreme partet personality, first she's really sweet and then she has a void in her eyes and this voice =D (i think everyone is a bit controlled by 'oyashiro-sama' right? what does it actually mean, oyashiro? i just know that
'shiro' means 'white'.)

(forgive me if u can't understand some things, bad english ._.)
Old 12-03-2009

Hell yes.
Definitely one of my all-time favorites - it's everything a horror series should be. I never thought I'd be genuinely freaked out by an anime, so this kind of... caught me off guard, I guess.
Also, the story that extends into Kai is probably the best I've ever seen.

One that I'd recommend for anyone who can stomach the gore and the various brutal torture methods that come along with it.

AsterGray, yeah, that's bound to happen - if you watch the second season (which is also brilliant), it'll all make perfect sense. Keep on watching, please.

Last edited by Ohara; 02-23-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2009
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

I didn't like how it was so cutesy at times. The dichotomy between the cute school scenes and the horror scenes was just too jarring for me to take the horror seriously. Overall, I really enjoyed the show, but the second season was a little long for my taste. All they really needed to do was go back and explain all the stuff that happened in season one, but they ended up adding unnecessary plot lines that in all honesty were just boring. Particularly the arc when [ Sayoko was being abused ], because in the wake of everything else that was happening who really cares? Great show, but I really wish season two was half as good as the first one.
Old 12-03-2009

Location: Underneath your bed as the hellish shadows waiting to give you a hug!
Blurb: I am a Malik/Marik fangirl/ But I'm also a Bakura fan
Send a message via MSN to MariksSexKitten Send a message via Yahoo to MariksSexKitten

My third favorite anime of all time :3 I love all the gore and horror scenes. And the kawaii scenes in.. I especially love Hanyuu and Rika and Shion.
Old 12-03-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
I didn't like how it was so cutesy at times. The dichotomy between the cute school scenes and the horror scenes was just too jarring for me to take the horror seriously. Overall, I really enjoyed the show, but the second season was a little long for my taste. All they really needed to do was go back and explain all the stuff that happened in season one, but they ended up adding unnecessary plot lines that in all honesty were just boring. Particularly the arc when [ Sayoko was being abused ], because in the wake of everything else that was happening who really cares? Great show, but I really wish season two was half as good as the first one.
I found this, I mean wasn't bad at all, but it just had problems which stopped being as good as should have been
Old 12-03-2009
AssterGray Mod

Blurb: i set my clocks early cos i know i'm always late
Send a message via MSN to AsterGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post

AsterGray, yeah, that's bound to happen - if you watch the second season (which is also brilliant), it'll all make perfect sense. Keep on watching, please.
I finished watching it a while back. Loved it. Especially the last arc,- well, after [ Takano's flashbacks, I honestly couldn't care less about her past tbh. ]
I'm thinking of watching Rei soon.
Old 12-04-2009

Oh, I didn't realize how old this thread was.
Rei isn't great, but it's worth watching. Episodes 1 and 5 are completely stupid, but 2-4 are pretty awesome.

Also, I thought Kai was a perfect sequel for the first season. I really wouldn't have changed anything at all.

I kinda liked the cute slapstick humor, too. The show transforming from one mood to the other on the scale it did and as many times as it did was one of the many things that made it brilliant, in my opinion...

Last edited by Ohara; 02-23-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2010
Has been noticed

Blurb: Yo.
Cobra
Send a message via MSN to bakurachick

I did love the anime :). watched the first two seasons.. not sure if i want to watch the last one or not though. and mion my favorite character.
Old 02-22-2010

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

The first four episodes of this anime were the freakiest I'd seen in anime. Well, not so much ep1, but the 'dark' Rena and Mion were pretty creepy. It wasn't so bad afterward, probably because I had a better understanding of what was going on as it progressed.

Perfect blend of horror and comedy. Just wish I could play the Visual Novels... Oh well, the manga will have to fill the void for now.
Old 03-02-2010

Blurb: "I hope the island doesn't swim away or something...that would ruin my day"

Awesome anime. Though, I'm kinda confused about the explanations they give at episode 25.
Old 03-04-2010

Have you seen Kai/the second season?
The last arc is confusing, sure, not to mention the at-a-first-glance weirdness of Rena's theory regarding the maggots, but Kai clears up everything. No aliens in Higurashi, no siree.
Old 03-18-2010

Send a message via AIM to PBnSpots

I got it for Christmas!!! I was super happy! I definately liked the second sason better but it hasn't been dubbed yet and I can't find it online so I can't buy it. =(

Awesome anime though! I only read 2 volumes of the manga (the 2 that show the first arc of the first season of the anime)
Old 03-22-2010

Blurb: You cry. Only Babys cry. m
Send a message via ICQ to Mitsuru-Senpai Send a message via MSN to Mitsuru-Senpai Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsuru-Senpai

Yay |D
Love this Anime frigging much <3
And it was so funny for me xD

For Example: When Keiichi kills Satokos Unkle, or Shions (as Mion) Laugh about Rikas Death in Meakashi-Hen |D"
Old 03-22-2010

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

The first Rei episode had me Loling so hard...
Old 03-23-2010

Haha, yeah. It's refreshing to see something so ridiculous in contrast to the psychotic nature of season one...
Old 05-02-2010

Send a message via AIM to AxelDemonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
The first Rei episode had me Loling so hard...
lol yeah, that was a crack episode. gotta love those ladies-man swim trunks. its a little strange to see and episode like that and an episode with tons of killing in the same show. well... kinda.
Old 05-08-2010

Blurb: This blurb allows me to defy the page's symmetry. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

My friend recommended Higurashi to me recently, and by the first episode I was completely hooked. It was actually the cutesy vs. psychotic contrast that made me really love it - going first from an innocent and completely naive Rena to an insanely creepy murderer made it unpredictable and always had you on edge... who knew when or how Rena and Mion would try to kill Keiichi next?

I'm only 8 episodes in, but I love it soooooo much!!!
Old 05-09-2010

Hehe, glad you like it. Here's some food for thought, though: Don't assume that you know what's going on, even if the show seemingly gives you the answers.
Old 05-17-2010

Blurb: Let me cut you... I mean hug you. Hugging is what I meant
Send a message via MSN to ladykaiba419 Send a message via Yahoo to ladykaiba419

I loved the blood.. spilling around and its all cuz of KIDS xD

I'm really into mystery animes, this is one of my all time favz! (although I didn't read the manga, It wasn't really exciting to read a blood filled violence, it more exciting to watch xD)

I agree with some of the post above It is a bit confusing

But when you put all the arcs of season one together even if you don't watch season 2 Higurashi No naku Koro Ni Kai (which didn't really made an impact for me D: due to lack of violence LOL) It would really make sense

Especially in the last episode when Rika said some thing about the repeating date (i totally forgot the exact words and date xD sorry!) It made sense

The fact that the series is chopped arc per arc and each arc there is a different event, but it all rooted from the same start. You can really say that every thing is repeating

And All of these happenings were clearly explained in season 2

To sum it up

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni - Full of questions and despair

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai - The Hope and Answers

Soo.. Yea~ Thats my explanation and opinions xD Thats how I understood the story :D
Old 05-24-2010

Blurb: i am so clever that sometimes i don’t understand a single word of what i am saying

^^^ yep that's right. ^.^

has anyone seen this yugioh parody of the higurashi 2 opening? i thought the animation was amazing. :O

Old 05-25-2010

Blurb: Let me cut you... I mean hug you. Hugging is what I meant
Send a message via MSN to ladykaiba419 Send a message via Yahoo to ladykaiba419

Quote:
Originally Posted by killing_me_softly View Post
^^^ yep that's right. ^.^

has anyone seen this yugioh parody of the higurashi 2 opening? i thought the animation was amazing. :O

Nice animation the only thing the really pissed me off is the fact that kisara was there

*Seto Kaiba fan girl who HATES kisara with the passion of a thousand suns* xDD
Old 05-25-2010

That video was wonderful. Yeah, the animation quality really was stunning.
Old 05-25-2010

Blurb: i am so clever that sometimes i don’t understand a single word of what i am saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykaiba419 View Post
Nice animation the only thing the really pissed me off is the fact that kisara was there

*Seto Kaiba fan girl who HATES kisara with the passion of a thousand suns* xDD
ahah, that's funny. xD at first i thought i would hate her, but i actually really like her now. i can't help but feel sorry for her in the manga. her storyline's so tragic, baw. ;W;
Old 05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
That video was wonderful. Yeah, the animation quality really was stunning.
aw thankies~ <3
Old 05-27-2010

Blurb: bottega mascot.

i remember that vid. that animation in that one is STUNNING. better than season 5, imho.

probably the best ygo parody i've seen so far. :)

Last edited by lesjoursdete; 05-27-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2010

Higurashi/When They Cry is a FANTASTIC series. I can't wait for the second season to come out to the US. <3
Old 05-29-2010

Blurb: ?????

Not gonna lie, I die a little inside every time someone calls it "When They Cry". I know it's the official English name, but gosh it just sounds so lame. ><
Anyway... Higurashi was probably about the 4th or 5th anime I ever watched. Really loved it. I haven't got round to reading the VN yet, but it's on my to do list. After the Umineko VN which I'm part-way through....
I'm really enjoying the manga, though. It's pretty similar to the anime in most respects, but it still manages to seem fresh somehow. Not to mention creepy as hell.