This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2010

Blurb: "The dark Hour holds your destany"
Send a message via Yahoo to Persona

Well, gx SUCKED! I mean really?! I have no idea what they where trying to do with that but it was a BAD fail! as for 5D's it's okay, I can actually sit through the japanese version of the show but it still can't measure up to the original Yu-Gi-Oh that was just awesome!
Old 05-09-2010

Blurb: PIKA PIKA CHIIIIINS.
Send a message via AIM to Seeminglyeasy

Honestly I like 5D's. Sure the aspect of CARD GAMES ON MOTERCYCLES is a bit...well yeah. But the story as it goes on is pretty good. :3 And Misty is hot. Seriously.

Now GX is a different story. It took forever for the actual plot to show up. I just...I can't stand it. I feel GX was sort of a "the producers needed something new made fast to draw in more fans so the creator randomly pulled a story and some characters out of his butt and VOILA." But 5D's I think he tried harder on.

Last edited by Seeminglyeasy; 05-10-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2010

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan

I cannot stand either, i will not watch 5D's and GX was pathetic
I mean jayden??? seriously and his little supposed comic relief buddy Cyrus
And naturally they dubbed it and then if u watch some of the clips on youtube, they tried to make their very own parody of it, so they were promoting a show that they were telling viewers "basically made no sense whatsoever" thats ridiculous

Also i dislike the animation, and the characters were nit a patch on marik or bakura and there is no mai so yeah it fails for me
Old 05-10-2010

ugh...can't stand either >.< I was in japan when GX started...couldn't even handle the japanese one
Old 05-11-2010
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Of course I dislike GX and 5Ds

I don't even like the original Yu-Gi-Oh!
hence why I watch a parody, mocking it.
Old 05-12-2010

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusRocks View Post
Of course I dislike GX and 5Ds

I don't even like the original Yu-Gi-Oh!
hence why I watch a parody, mocking it.
Well some people, like myself, like the original for the characters but all of them literally get swept away by the massive wave of card games, drowning out most character development in favor of incredibly bizarre storytelling, ungodly use of dues ex machina, and blatant uninformed usage of western symbolism.
Old 05-13-2010

Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.

I actually kinda like 5Ds... well, the Japanese version, anyway. Not up to the stage I would fantard over it, though.

I haven't watched much GX, but from some clips I've watched, the dub version is atrocious. The Japanese seems alright-ish, though.
Old 05-14-2010

Blurb: Nyeh
Send a message via AIM to littleblondegirl Send a message via MSN to littleblondegirl Send a message via Yahoo to littleblondegirl

For a while now I have completely restented GX and 5D's just because I am literally so obsessed with the original series...but a few days ago I started reading the GX manga...and well, it's terrible. But I'm only going to continue the series because it's so stupid it's funny. My friends and I like to joke about how Alexis is the love child of Mai and Joey...and Syrus from Yugi and Weevil xDD In the manga, there is a little short illustration at the end of one of the chapters telling how GX was created: The creator of the series received a phone call from his drunk producers telling him to make a GX manga. Hence, GX was born. It does not surprise me one bit. xDD
Old 05-24-2010

Blurb: i am so clever that sometimes i don’t understand a single word of what i am saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChouToshio View Post
Here's what I got out of each one:

5Ds:
Yu-gi-oh trying to go emo-matrix? Yeah, not feeling it . . . plus all the main characters are trying way too hard to be cool to the point where none of them have any personality. Yuusei somehow manages to create a protagonist even more lacking in personality than Yami. Jack bores me because he does not have the guts to be as much of an ass as Kaiba. At least in GX, all the other characters were clowns so that we could highlight Ryou's bad-ass-ness.
this was on the first page, but i couldn't have said it better.
Old 05-30-2010

Blurb: Honey Badger don't give a shit.

It's understandable on why all of you are dissing GX and 5D's. However, while I do think the original is the best GX and 5D's are pretty good too. I used to not like either of them but after trying GX I thought to myself, "Hey it's really different but it doesn't suck like I thought it would." And not too long ago I tried out 5D's thinking it was gonna be crap but it was also pretty good. And yes, everyone, all three have their flaws.

On GX, Jaden is indeed not what you would expect out of a Yugioh protagonist. He is fun-loving, always cheerful and goofy, and doesn't always take things seriously. Yes it's different but it's not bad. But for those of you are hoping for a dark mysterious protagonist like Atem was, then let me tell you that he changes dramatically in season 4 where he's hot, badass, darker, and a lot more serious. His deck is pretty cool in my opinion. Yugi's deck is awesome but you have to admit there isn't a actual theme to it like you see other characters have. In GX a lot of the characters have themed decks, examples: Jaden with his Elemental Heroes/Neo-Spacians deck, Zane with his Cyber-style deck, and Jesse with his Crystal Beast deck.

It's true, the actual plot doesn't come in until season 3, though it comes in indirectly in season 2 too. So if you want to try it out and want to get to the plot, start on season 3. The plot also gives development on Jaden's character, letting you learn about his past, how it affects the storyline, and what his purpose is as a protagonist. GX also features that darkness is the good side in some parts while light is evil. -_- Go watch season 2 to see what I mean if you're confused. Apparently Jaden is supposed to use darkness to defeat an evil force called The Light Of Destruction. Once again, development on his character. And hey, season 3's villain, Yubel, is the closest thing to a female villain we've had in the entire Yugioh universe so far. (Technically she's a hermaphrodite.) And getting to that, while I don't mean to spoil anything, but I wouldn't call Jaden completely human after season 3 ends and season 4 starts. Technically in season 4 he's half human and half duel monster. C'mon, you have to admit that's a bit badass. If you don't think so and you love Twilight then why do you think vampires are awesome but Jaden isn't? Discrimination maybe? You wouldn't complain if this kind of thing happened to Yugi/Atem. And Jaden's eye color changing is wicked. :D

The supporting characters are kinda iffy in GX but not all of them are bad. My personal favorites are Jesse and Jim, and they don't even show up in season 3. I personally like how each character has a unique personality with their own sense of humor that each GX fan can identify with. What makes GX different from the original and 5D's is that Jaden doesn't necessarily have one true rival. Yugi and Atem had Kaiba, and Yusei somewhat had Jack, but Jaden doesn't really. He had a friendly rivalry with Zane in season 1 and Aster was only a rival for the entire season 2.

It's kinda fun that you see some of the characters again from the original. You see Kaiba in several episodes, as well as Pegasus who has even more lines then Kaiba, Yugi only briefly in the first episode but you see him a LOT more at the end of GX when he's talking and dueling Jaden, and even Yugi's grandpa around episode 75. At least you know what happened to the original characters in GX unlike in 5D's where you're thinking "where the hell are the original characters right now?!"

I would like to hear all of your opinions on what I just said now.
Old 06-13-2010
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieJuno View Post
It's understandable on why all of you are dissing GX and 5D's. However, while I do think the original is the best GX and 5D's are pretty good too. I used to not like either of them but after trying GX I thought to myself, "Hey it's really different but it doesn't suck like I thought it would." And not too long ago I tried out 5D's thinking it was gonna be crap but it was also pretty good. And yes, everyone, all three have their flaws.

On GX, Jaden is indeed not what you would expect out of a Yugioh protagonist. He is fun-loving, always cheerful and goofy, and doesn't always take things seriously. Yes it's different but it's not bad. But for those of you are hoping for a dark mysterious protagonist like Atem was, then let me tell you that he changes dramatically in season 4 where he's hot, badass, darker, and a lot more serious. His deck is pretty cool in my opinion. Yugi's deck is awesome but you have to admit there isn't a actual theme to it like you see other characters have. In GX a lot of the characters have themed decks, examples: Jaden with his Elemental Heroes/Neo-Spacians deck, Zane with his Cyber-style deck, and Jesse with his Crystal Beast deck.

It's true, the actual plot doesn't come in until season 3, though it comes in indirectly in season 2 too. So if you want to try it out and want to get to the plot, start on season 3. The plot also gives development on Jaden's character, letting you learn about his past, how it affects the storyline, and what his purpose is as a protagonist. GX also features that darkness is the good side in some parts while light is evil. -_- Go watch season 2 to see what I mean if you're confused. Apparently Jaden is supposed to use darkness to defeat an evil force called The Light Of Destruction. Once again, development on his character. And hey, season 3's villain, Yubel, is the closest thing to a female villain we've had in the entire Yugioh universe so far. (Technically she's a hermaphrodite.) And getting to that, while I don't mean to spoil anything, but I wouldn't call Jaden completely human after season 3 ends and season 4 starts. Technically in season 4 he's half human and half duel monster. C'mon, you have to admit that's a bit badass. If you don't think so and you love Twilight then why do you think vampires are awesome but Jaden isn't? Discrimination maybe? You wouldn't complain if this kind of thing happened to Yugi/Atem. And Jaden's eye color changing is wicked. :D

The supporting characters are kinda iffy in GX but not all of them are bad. My personal favorites are Jesse and Jim, and they don't even show up in season 3. I personally like how each character has a unique personality with their own sense of humor that each GX fan can identify with. What makes GX different from the original and 5D's is that Jaden doesn't necessarily have one true rival. Yugi and Atem had Kaiba, and Yusei somewhat had Jack, but Jaden doesn't really. He had a friendly rivalry with Zane in season 1 and Aster was only a rival for the entire season 2.

It's kinda fun that you see some of the characters again from the original. You see Kaiba in several episodes, as well as Pegasus who has even more lines then Kaiba, Yugi only briefly in the first episode but you see him a LOT more at the end of GX when he's talking and dueling Jaden, and even Yugi's grandpa around episode 75. At least you know what happened to the original characters in GX unlike in 5D's where you're thinking "where the hell are the original characters right now?!"

^IAWTC
Old 06-18-2010

Blurb: "Fred the Deacon is watching every unholy move you make."

I watched GX because of LK and Shadyvox's jokes.

When I watched it, I was mindraped.

I always assumed, "Let's throw down a face down" was an abridged joke. As well as, "Game on!"

.................................................. .

*sigh*
Old 07-08-2010

5Ds and GX are like knock-off cards to me. they suck. Yu-Gi-Oh actually had a plot to it. i'm sure GX and 5Ds has a plot somewhere it's just no one has enough free time to figure it out.plus no one can be as cool as Yami and Yugi at playing a super specail awesome children's card game. ^.^ on the plus side i guess is that they kept the game going but i still don't se why they had to have a crapy plot and stupid people. i guess all i'm saying is i don't like GX and 5Ds. you guys can like it and all but it's just not in my taste for a children's card game. ^.^
Old 08-12-2010

Blurb: Fear my bitch curl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieJuno View Post

I agree with you 100%.
I used to think Gx was a complete load of crap, but I had never watched it. I adored seasons 3 and 4! Judai was so damn hot in the 4th season,(He even rivaled Atem in that department)

Johan and Judai were my favorite characters. Sure, they're alot alike, and get far too much screentime, but oh well. Jim was awesome as well, but the crocodile on his back is a bit much.

I haven't watched the 2nd season of GX yet, but I plan to, and I didn't care much for the 1st season. I just found it annoying that the first 20 episodes had no plot at all. This is what I think of the subs.

While the dub is annoying with the catchphrases and such, I mainly watch it for the fact that I get tired of reading subs after a while. I don't hate the dub, infact, I kinda like it. It's not the most amazing show ever created, but I think it would be hard to measure up to what YuGiOh! DM was.

Again, I agree about what you said about GX. Especially what you said about Judai;)
Old 12-22-2011

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel of darknezz View Post
I hate them both. With a passion.

Anybody else???
Old 12-22-2011

Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

... I said that a loooooong time ago. My feelings on the subject have changed dramatically.