This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2009

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusRocks View Post
Rozen Maiden english dub is terrible. Jun's english voice is pretty standard, but Shinku's is freaking horrible.
I managed to glean how terrible the dub is from only half of episode one (before the site I was on infected my computer with about 3 viruses)

Stick with the subs - plus you get DESU then.
hers was my favorite!!
Old 12-09-2009

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
i got both seasons mo fo

(instead of a smile emoticon)
thats my Rozen Maiden smile!
Wow, don't remember Shinku smiling like that O.o
Old 12-09-2009

I don't mind english voices in general, what I mind is english voice-actors trying to do the voices the same as the original high-pitch jap-girl voices. Japanese may like characters sounding like screeching 5 year olds; I don't.

Legend of the Twilight takes the cake as most annoying voices ever.
Old 12-09-2009

yeah I can't stand the screech of the japanese voices
the worst is the Ozzaru, it sounds like a horny chicken
I don't either, but she did-its all there
Old 12-09-2009

Blurb: Puzzleshipping FTW!!
Send a message via AIM to Baby Panda Send a message via MSN to Baby Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Baby Panda

In my opinion, I believe that the first two seasons of Sailor Moon were horrendous. Sure, Cloverway fucked up, but not like DIC did. Needless to say, I wasn't surprised to find out that they were syndicated by Disney.

That being said, I don't think that the 4KIDS dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! was bad. -shot- It had it's awkward moments, but was overall a pretty good dub. -stabbed- The voices were good, and even though the language and themes were dumbed down, it still reflected the personalities of the characters. -burned- The only thing I didn't really like was Dan Green's voice for Yami. Although it is admittedly sexy as all hell, Yami is supposed to be a young guy, somewhere around 16-18 I think, and Dan Green made him sound like he was MUCH older.
Old 12-09-2009

yeah when I watched it as a kid my parents didn't understand why the 15 year old sounded 30 when he played card games
(and took them far to seriously)
Old 12-09-2009

Location: Underneath your bed as the hellish shadows waiting to give you a hug!
Blurb: I am a Malik/Marik fangirl/ But I'm also a Bakura fan
Send a message via MSN to MariksSexKitten Send a message via Yahoo to MariksSexKitten

Quote:
yeah when I watched it as a kid my parents didn't understand why the 15 year old sounded 30 when he played card games
(and took them far to seriously)
My mom can't believe Yugi is 15 and in High school so I find it funny yours actually thought he sounded 30. But the Yugioh dub isn't that bad aside from lame jokes made to Americanize it, and the Name changes in my honest opinion. I think the voices were okay. ~bricked by Yugioh dub haters~
Old 12-09-2009

I love the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, to be honest. Even though it's... well, not great. I guess it's just nostalgia.
Old 12-09-2009

I find it very hard to memorize the japanese names when they don't change them
Old 12-09-2009
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
I love the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, to be honest. Even though it's... well, not great. I guess it's just nostalgia.
This
Old 12-09-2009

Kaiba sounds like Brock from Pokemon who sounds like Gourry Gabriev from Slayers
Old 12-09-2009

Send a message via MSN to MariksSexKitten Send a message via Yahoo to MariksSexKitten

I think it's just childhood nostalgia for alot of us actually.
Old 12-09-2009
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

Yes it is. My friends don't understand it. Me neither.
Old 12-10-2009

WE're all going to be saying how BraveStar and Galaxy Rangers were pure awesome, the younger gen will say Pokemon, Yugioh and Digimon were true entertainment and stuff today is crap, while the next generation is going to be saying Ben10: Alien Force and Robot Boy were the height of animation.

Then you watch it again years later and find it was made in another county and censored -_-
Old 12-19-2009

I think the worse dubs tend to be the older ones that were usually done fast and cheap. The Speed Racer one is pretty pathetic.
Old 12-19-2009

Location: Well, it made perfect sense in the Japanese Version

@One Piece-- Ok seriously, I don't think it really matters how you dub this, crap is crap no matter what language you present it in. Between the terrible animation and background music, the anime does a splendid job of ruining it without anyone's help. It's a mockery of Oda-sensei's fantastic art style. In short, the manga pwns the anime like Vegeta pwns Raditz.

In regards to the original Japanese version, the voice actor's ANNOYING voice for Luffy makes me want to throw my TV out the window just as much as her voice for Krillan in DBZ.

Also complaining about GX or 5Ds is just dumb. Why? Because again, these anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in! If you don't understand that these shows are just as painfully corny and childish for Japanese viewers to watch in Japanese as it is for us in English, you need to go brush up on your Japanese.

Yuusei-ra no Team Satisfaction ni tsuite, ore ha ima made no jinsei, arehodo no iwakan wo kanjita koto ha nakatta.

"I have never felt as disturbed in my life as when I saw Yusei-guy's Team Satisfaction."

On another note, I recently watched a few episodes of the Naruto Dub out of curiosity. I have to say, I was actually impressed-- I thought the translation was done with good respect to both the original content and the anime's atmosphere. The only disturbing thing is that in keeping the original Japanese terminology/names, there is a discrepancy in pronunciation.

Sasuke's voice actor pronounces all the Japanese words very skillfully (rolling his R's) while some of the others really suck at it, which is pretty damn funny. Most disturbing is the way they pronounce "Uchiha," (it's not Ucheeeeha). If anything it's more disturbing since Sasuke still pronounces it correctly. :P

I also watched the original Japanese DBZ for the first time recently. I could only find it streamed with Chinese Subtitles, but whatever-- who hasn't seen DBZ? I also speak Japanese but that's besides the point . . .

Honestly I was really disappointed. It's sad to say, but I actually thought the dialogue in English was better written, and the conversations in Japanese seemed extremely shallow and uninteresting. BGM for the dub is also better . . . so much more epic . . .

The Japanese characters just seem really dry, both the voices and the things they say. Honestly Yu-Gi-Oh has more interesting dialogue. In other words, the dubbed dialogues actually have more content than the Japanese ones. :S

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think that compared to the manga, they completely cut out a lot of the Northern Hogen (dialect) that both Goku and Chichi use.

. . . also why doesn't Gohan speak the same dialect as his parents? Maybe it's because he was abducted by an alien when he was a little kid.

. . . dodge!!

Last edited by ChouToshio; 12-23-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2009

I watched the first dub episode of Karin (Chibi Vampire) a week ago, and although the voices aren't bad... they sound too old. Like, 20 years older than high schoolers should sound like.

Not terrible, but it makes it the worst dub I've seen. I should probably watch more episodes before making a final judgement.
Old 12-19-2009

Never watch Higurashi dubbed, I can't stand it.
Old 12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariksSexKitten View Post
Never watch Higurashi dubbed, I can't stand it.
Lol, yes.
I had to sit through it because I was showing it to my sister who didn't feel like seeing it in Japanese.
It has it's good moments, but, predictably, they're rare.

I recently saw the Haruhi dub. It's... well, it's good for a dub, but it doesn't compare to the original voicing cast (again, predictable).
Old 12-20-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChouToshio View Post
Also complaining about GX or 5Ds is just dumb. Why? Because again, these anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in! If you don't understand that these shows are just as painfully corny and childish for Japanese viewers to watch in Japanese as it is for us in English, you need to go brush up on your Japanese.
GX and 5D's are silly shows about selling card games. But I can kind of suspend disbelief when watching the original at least within the realm of the show. (And of course, for only some episodes. Let's duel a monkey! Let's duel with gun duel disks!) I think it might be my American heritage; we were raised on Transformers, which somehow manages to both be a story with palatable characters and an extended commercial for toys at the same time.

But the dub? Nah, no sir. There's loving parodies (which Abridged Series mostly manage) and there's mocking parodies (RiffTrax and... well, some other Abridged Series), but then there's the "lol kids are stupid" thing that 4Kids does where kids are somehow supposed to buy their products regardless of how stupid the show is.

It's really nice to hear from a Japanese speaker on this topic, btw. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks DBZ in English is actually better.
Old 12-20-2009

English DBZ is by far better. I tried watching it in Japanese, and I think my ears bled.
Old 12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxasabridged View Post
English DBZ is by far better. I tried watching it in Japanese, and I think my ears bled.
Japanese just cannot sound angry enough
I think since english is germanic it has a rougher sound to it
Old 12-20-2009

It's also the music. There are only two or three BGMs in Japanese worth noting. The whole thing sounds like a bad Jackie Chan movie. The English synths that fanboys LOOOOVE to complain about are actually more memorable.
Old 12-20-2009

Oh, yeah, the english DBZ dub. Though I'm not much of a fan of the show, I'd take the dub anyday.
Also, lol at the German dub. The voice actor for Vegeta is same that does the voice for the German SpongeBob.
Old 12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
It's also the music. There are only two or three BGMs in Japanese worth noting. The whole thing sounds like a bad Jackie Chan movie. The English synths that fanboys LOOOOVE to complain about are actually more memorable.
I love the japanese soundtrack for DBZ
its totally awesome
Old 12-20-2009

Location: In the space between your eyes and your nose. So you will never see me.
Blurb: What?...There can be only one?!?

Quote:
Kaiba sounds like Brock from Pokemon who sounds like Gourry Gabriev from Slayers
Kaiba and Brock are voiced by the same dude...forgotten his name though...
Old 12-21-2009

Eric Stuart. He also sings.
Old 12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Ulyssicider View Post
Kaiba and Brock are voiced by the same dude...forgotten his name though...
same with Gourry Gabriev
hence the joke
Old 12-23-2009

Location: Well, it made perfect sense in the Japanese Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLilithborne View Post
GX and 5D's are silly shows about selling card games. But I can kind of suspend disbelief when watching the original at least within the realm of the show. (And of course, for only some episodes. Let's duel a monkey! Let's duel with gun duel disks!) I think it might be my American heritage; we were raised on Transformers, which somehow manages to both be a story with palatable characters and an extended commercial for toys at the same time.

But the dub? Nah, no sir. There's loving parodies (which Abridged Series mostly manage) and there's mocking parodies (RiffTrax and... well, some other Abridged Series), but then there's the "lol kids are stupid" thing that 4Kids does where kids are somehow supposed to buy their products regardless of how stupid the show is.

It's really nice to hear from a Japanese speaker on this topic, btw. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks DBZ in English is actually better.
Probably the reason the DBZ dub is better than the original is because it is significantly newer. Relatively speaking, DBZ is a really old anime, and in retrospect it's not too surprising if the original BGM and dialogue sound like they come from a really cheap old kung-fu movie. With that in mind, the dub is a lot newer, and was written/audio'd for a modern audience, which is why it is more appealing overall.

example:

Dub: "Trunks!? . . . That boy has the very same name as my son! Wait, a super saiyan from the future-- he, he is my son!"
*cue heart pounding epic background music*

Original Japanese: "Trunks!? . . . ke . . . ke . . . ke . . . Trunks!? . . . I see!"
. . . *wind noise*

seriously

Last edited by ChouToshio; 12-23-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2009

plus they can't scream like the english speakers
I donno what it is but they just can't deliver a good old "AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"
during a powerup, or something