This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007

I know I did, though I was the only one, I was applauded when I said it lol
Old 07-17-2007

I loved the movie. I thought they did a decent job. It's so hard to do books like that justice and I think the movies come pretty close. I'd hate to not have read the books and try to figure out all they're leaving out though :p I've seen it twice, I'll probably see it again before too long.
Old 07-17-2007

the movie DESTROYED the book and only the book lovers agree all the movie lover are like "no it was AWSOME!" LAIRS!! WARNER BROTHERS SHALL FEEL MY WRATH!!!
Old 07-17-2007

This review entirely sums my feelings about the movie. They seriously could not have said it better.
http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid43398.aspx

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the review.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has no time for Quidditch; the franchise staff (ostensibly led by Brit-TV director David Yates) dive right in, smooshing Rowling’s biggest book into the shortest film and treating the rich subtext — as well as much of the text — as dispensable."

"I won’t sweat the details, because the filmmakers didn’t; easily half of the densely plotted book is discarded, and with it no small amount of connective tissue. The whole story is ignited by two Dementors illegally invading the land of the Muggles and stalking Potter, but to learn how or why they were compelled to do this, you’d have to get to reading."
Old 07-17-2007

All i'm going top say about the movie was that it was very disapointing...

~MGKuriboh
Old 07-17-2007

I think people go into the HP movies expecting too much. After all, I would trust people to know by now that movies can never do the books justice. I learned to stop expecting an accurate retelling of the HP novels long ago. Not to mention, if they included all the scene fans wanted to see, everyone would probably STILL be at the theatre watching it. I thought they did an okay job with the film, given how much it's necessary to cut and alter the HP films to fit time constraints.

Was it the best HP film as far as story-telling goes? No, I don't think so.
Was it the best stylistically? Yes, I think it was.

Only my personal opinion, of course. :)
Old 07-18-2007

My problem with the movie is not that they cut too much out, but they really didn't do justice to the stuff they kept in.

(PSST MOVIE SPOILERS!)

Like the Dementors. They fail to mention that Umbridge was the one who sent them.

Also, the Cho-instead-of-Marietta-subplot. So, yay, Harry found out they used Veritaserum on her. Too bad they drop that plotline after that little aside and don't mention it for the rest of the movie. And the main reason that Harry and Cho don't get it on in the sixth book, thus allowing Harry to crush on Ginny, is because he and Cho are mad at each other over Marietta. If Cho was merely an innocent victim and Harry KNEW then there would be no reason for them to be mad at each other.

The movie wasn't even that great to look at either. The script kept jumping from plot point to plot point that there was no time to show any of the breathtaking imagery that the other movies had shown us.

And the worst part is the underused characters. It's sad. They were waving them (McGonagall, Snape, Remus, Sirius, Tonks, Kingsley, Hagrid, Trelawney, etc.) in front of our faces just to remind us that they are there, but never doing anything real with them.

Though I am happy to say that Umbridge, Bella and Luna were excellent. Made the movie watchable at least.
Old 07-18-2007

I think they did a much better job condensing the book than they did Goblet of Fire. They kept the majority of the story in tact and the actors continued to pull off their roles remarkebly well. Can't wait for movie six, since I am sure David Yates can oull it off again.
Old 07-18-2007

I couldn't beleive, after watching it, that I actually thought it was a great movie. I thought that 1 and 2 weren't that great, 3 had potential and 4 was a good movie, but 5 really outdid itself.

The acting, even from the child actors, was great. Espcially Dolores Umbridge. Never, well not since Nurse Ratchet in 'One flew over the Cucoos Nest', have I wanted to do an Alien ant Farm and jump into the cinema screen and punch a character in the face.

Obviously they left A LOT out of the books, but really you have to ignore that, it can't be done in just one movie, and think of the movies as they're own continuity. I was actually surprised they left a lot of things in, and what they left in was generally very faithful to the books.

The final battle between Voldemort and Dumbeldore, whilst short, definetly is one of the greatest cinema match ups of all time, the whole battle was kind of reminicent to the end of Attack of the Clones, after seeing the Jedi/Wizards have their battle against the bad guys, we see the two main good guy and bad guy square off in an incredible battle of skill.

[ Sirius' death was also done well, I was afraid, with his relative absencse from the last movie, that the audience wouldn't feel enough for him once he was dead, but thanfully they built up his character enough to pull on at least one tendom in everyone. His death was also perfectly timed, as soon as he's disarmed Malfoy...BAM! Right in the Kisser.

Let's hope we are given similar treatment with the nexts films big death...
]
Old 07-18-2007

I loved it.
Daniel Radcliff has idefenatly improved his acting a lot.
The fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore was awesome.
Exept for one scene Gambon did a much better job in this one than Gof.
Old 07-18-2007

"*spoiler*
I thought they seriously under-played Sirius' death though, they could have made that so much more dramatic....
*/spoiler*"

It was less dramatic in the book.

This movie missed a lot. The whole ending wasn't even there, where there were so many important plot points.

However Luna was great, I love her, they better keep her Quidditch Match in the sixth movie.
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
It was less dramatic in the book.
Ermmm, how can you say that?
At least in the book he went a bit mad at everyone
Old 07-18-2007

And they had a dramatic falling arc, not getting hit by a killing curse and floating upwards. It would have been much more dramatic with slomo on sirius making an arc backwards, Harry in real time, (though keep the volume muted, except for foley sound effects, turn those up really loud) and then showing the side view of him going into the arc, but then nothing coming out the other side.
But then thats just me.
Old 07-18-2007

seeing it friday
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Ermmm, how can you say that?
At least in the book he went a bit mad at everyone
Well in the movie he did seem a little pissed in the slow motion thing.

Just the Black's death was never dramatic to begin with. I was hoping it was going to be a bit more dramatic too...but...really they just seem to pass over his death really quick.

WHAT I did not like was there were no mirrors between Black and Harry. : (
Old 07-18-2007

True, but then everyone might realise that Harry is an idiot for not talking to Sirius using the mirrors instead of trying to use using the flu network.
Fool.....
Old 07-18-2007

Obviously it was terrible compared to the book, but there you go. Films almost never live up to the standards of the books they are based on. Where was Bill and Charlie Weasly? What about all the different rooms in the ministry? Many questions that should have been answered. The film could have been an hour longer easily and they could have smoothed it out more and got you more attached to the characters. Still good for a Potter film though. best out the lot. I have read all the books 12 times. I know. Rather sad. I am, however, a total genius when it comes to the topic of Harry Potter, no one will ever beat me in a comp of who knows the most. Apart from JK Rowling, probably.
Old 07-18-2007

The movie seemed a little rushed to me. Book was way better. Also *sixth book spoilers* Ginny barely had any lines so her relationship with Harry in the next movie will seem a little forced, don't you agree? *end spoilers*
Old 07-19-2007

After seeing it for my fourth time today and properly hearing it [the first three were a bit crowded with obnoxious people talking throughout], I must say that it isn't my favorite movie. Although the end fight scene was really well done, the rest really wasn't great. Being a huge fan of the books, I can't see why they had to cut so much out of the movie. To name a few things that would've made the movie more interesting: the howler at the beginning sent to Aunt Petunia, Sirius's Mom [the portrait], the doxies at headquarters, the Sorting Hat's song, Quidditch [Ron was supposed to play Keeper!], St Mungo's Hospital, Firenze becoming a teacher, Cho's friend telling rather than Cho, more than just the prophecy room and the veil at the Department of Mysteries, that longer, beautiful conversation between Dumbledore and Harry including seeing the prophecy being told from a Pensieve in full rather than a chopped up version from the prophecy itself, and I know it sounds weird but on the cover of the book, the Department of Mysteries is filled with candles with blue flames and a spinning circle of doors. What happened there? It just seemed like they rushed things and made a movie full of a lot of short, slow conversations that felt a bit thrown in. Also, the dream sequences seemed more like Harry was on some weird medication more than having a strange connection with a powerful Dark Lord.

To summarize my feelings about the movie, they have removed elements from the book that made what we know as the Harry Potter world and by doing so it makes the movie a lot less magical.
Old 07-19-2007

Yeah. Well it kinda did what most of the other HP movies did so I wasn't too surprised with it getting sliced n' diced etc. But you know... as far as the movie in itself goes it's far from unwatchable.
Old 07-19-2007

I didn't really like the book of this one for some reason I kept putting it down, the movie was all rite though. At that one sceen where the guy says his little line after seeing voldemort "he's back" I replied rite away "no duh!". I think the movie messed up the begging sceen though, In my head after reading it, it was just so much better then that though I gues they couldn't make it that scary considering how there ratings went down from parents complaining about the last two being scary when they're just trying to make the movies age with the audiance.
Old 07-19-2007

Yeah... they missed quite a few bits out like the Quiditch. I so wanted to see some because I wanted to laugh at the Slytherin comments. But I have to admit it was better then the last one as it wasnt as rushed... it was still slightly rushed but not as much if anyone gets me lol... I was disappointed with the Ministry of Magic part. When I read the book my imagination ran wild with all the different rooms and stuff but in the film it was just that one big room. Not very exciting :P
Old 07-19-2007

In the book, there's the chapter "Snape's Worst Memory." Can anyone tell me how that is done in the film and if it's any good, because it's kind of the only reason why I'd want to go see it.
Old 07-19-2007

If this is the only reason why you would like to see the movie, leave it ;)
The scene is just about two or three minutes. Actually you just see, how James turns Snape uspide down in the air and torments him. That´s all.
Old 07-19-2007

this may or may not include spoilers, mainly because i don't know how spoilers work

...you have been warned in a confusing manner

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

when that giant picked up Umbridge, me and my friends were like: 0_o '...damn. she not gonna be in the half-blood prince!'

this random outburst was because we watched the two rush hour films one after the other the day before.
Old 07-19-2007

Honestly? It was pretty bad. Like everyone else said, if you did not read the book, then you would not have a clue what was going on. But, then again, maybe that it better. Those who have read the book, will be very saddened at the fact that they messed up most of the book.

Maybe I'm too picky, but most of the movie annoyed me. Some things they did okay on, like that fact that they did go to Hog's Head and not just randomly end up in the RoR together at the same time, but others things were just blah.

[ To me, they really messed up Sirius's dead. I mean, come on, the stupid curtain ATE HIM! >< He was suppose to fall back gracefully with a shocked, yet laughing look on his face, but noooooo, the curtain had to EAT him whole while he looked all, ‘Zomg, wtf? I‘m dead!’ >< And then after he is EATEN, they play a bunch of sappy music to cover up Harry and anything else that might be going on. Also, what was with that look that Remus had on his face when Harry got away from him? It was all like, 'Yeah well, he got away so I'm just gonna stand here and look sad for awhile while he goes off and tries to kill a death eater or two. Oooo, look, tea.' Also, what happened to the whole, 'I-don't-wanna~' explosion Harry has while destroying Dumbledore’s office? Do we get that? Noooo, we get mister, 'I've been acting all emo for most of the whole movie, but now when I should be acting like a angst teen, I'm mister clam and will act as Dumbledore’s obedient servant instead of trying to get back at him for basically making my life hell, kthxnbye.' It just...bugs me. >> ]

Otay, I'm done.
Old 07-19-2007

It's been a while since I've read the book. [ not that I'd want to reread it either. It took me a week to read it! I read the first couple of books in 2 days! It really puts me off that it took me a week to read it... ]

But I thought it was alright; sort of choppy from what I remember of the book, but good flashy effects at the end when Dumbledore and Voldemort are battling. Mostly though, I was laughing at Daniel Radcliffe. I mean, Harry's supposed to be really angry a lot of the time, but mostly Daniel looked only a tiny bit pissed off, and he hardly ever yelled. And when he said, "I just feel so... angry!" I laughed even harder.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that the people who made the movie totally RIPPED OFF Naruto at one point. You know in Naruto when Zabuza trapped Kakashi in the Aqua Prison (aka: a ball of water)? Well, edit in Dumbledore as Zabuza, Voldemort as Kakashi, the hand seals for wand waving, and that's basically what it looked like. >.< Makes me feel a bit pissed off...
Old 07-19-2007

i hated it....i love the books but i don't like the HP's movies....any of them....i like the actors (not all of them...).

when i watched the movie...i was expecting for the Siriu's death moment...but, when i saw it, i got tottally dissapointed...WTF was that??!!! it was supposed to be MORE dramatic, i cried with the book...but i didn't even felt sad with the movie...pathetic....i liked the movie at the begining...but the final was the most important...and i don't like the battle, the siriu's death...AND at the end of the book, Harry was tottally depressed...he got mad with Dumbledore...that part was so touching in the book, i didn't expect they were show the whole conversation in the movie...but at least the part when Harry got mad....and at the end, he even looked happy, with the "i have friends but voldemort don't...yaay" thing...i hated it =S

here happened the same...when Fudge said "He's back!" everybody in the theater said: NOOOOOO xD
Old 07-20-2007

It was okay, Not really faithful to the book, but it was a good movie.
Old 07-20-2007

Since we're moaning, I'm also gonna throw in how little character development Ron got compared to in the book. This was the first book where he started to step out from under Harry's shadow, but nooooo, all of the "Weasly Is Our King" stuff got cut! I mean seriously! First they give his best lines in book 3 to Hermione, and now this! And he is the only one out of the three who can act. (more or less)...