This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2010

Blurb: I dunno what is going on. OKay?
Default Metal Thread

In this topic, we talk about metal, and I talk about how awesome I think Bolt Thrower, and Abhorrence are.
Old 08-14-2010

Abhorrence, the death metal band that only lasted around 2 years?
Old 08-14-2010

The one from Finland.
Old 08-14-2010

Metal's beast. It's honestly one of the only genres of music left that requires talent
Old 08-15-2010

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

i agree with pandapat. metal, specifically northern european (finland, norway, etc.), is probably one of the only area's that still has respect for technical music. anyhow lately i've been on a hammerfall kick.
Old 08-15-2010

I'd disagree, but I disagree with a lot of opinions when it comes to music. :S

Anyway, I'm into blackened thrash metal from Australia right now.
Old 08-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlawedFlaw View Post
I'd disagree, but I disagree with a lot of opinions when it comes to music. :S

Anyway, I'm into blackened thrash metal from Australia right now.
any bands you suggest?
Old 08-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystra View Post
any bands you suggest?
Destroyer 666 is a good start. I have a ton I need to get to checking out, but the well-known are good starters.
Old 08-15-2010

Yay for this thread.
There's not much metal I don't like, though anything from Scandinavia or other similar bands generally dominate my favorites charts.
Also, respect +1 for pandapat.

KlawedFlaw, if you want black metal from Australia I strongly recommend you check out Ne Obliviscaris. They only have one EP, which has 3 songs and a total length of over 30 minutes, but each song is great. The opening track is wonderful.
Old 08-16-2010

Thank you.

I'm mostly looking for Australian blackened thrash. XD Thanks, though. I've been random banding for two hours on Metal-Archives, and got a decent haul of name to drop. Some aren't metal, but whatever. I'll specify those.

Profane Creation
Lionize(some stoner/reggae rock band)
R.A.V.A.G.E.
Unleashed - Victory
Evictus - Demo
Relevant Few - The Art of Today
Dischord - 2006 Demo
Gorguts - Obscura
Morpheus - In the Arms Of...
Heavy Pettin' - Letting it Loose
Abdicate - Fordged in Ruin
Forestdome - When the River of Hate Tears Floods
Type O Negetive
Captain Cleanoff
Thundra - Blood of Your Soul
Life's Decay - Anleva
Nihasa - Brahamanda Xul Grimoire
Cycorax - An Insight to Fear
Incarceri 9 - In Prison Till the End
Decadence - Chargepoint
Acetylene - Elements of Insanity
Asmodée - Chlorosis
Daemonarch - Hermeticum
Manilla Road
Radium(Darkcore electronic)
NON(Noise music)
Gjenferdsel - Varde
Obliveon - Nemesis
Ne Obliviscaris

I'm gonna have fun...
Old 08-16-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Manilla Road
I thought this was going to be a worthless thread until I saw this. Thank you for having taste, good sir. I may check out some of your other recommendations.

Allow me to name drop some of my own.

Animals as Leaders- s/t
>progressive metal. One of the best albums of 2009.

Battle of Mice- A Day of Nights
>great sludge metal with the vocalist from Made out of Babies.

Boris
>drone metal. Not for everyone, but if you're even the least bit curious about drone, check out Feedbacker or Flood. Pink is more hardcore and is a good place to start if you don't care for drone.

Church of Misery- Master of Brutality
>great stoner doom with lyrics about serial killers.

Cobalt- Eater of Birds
>US black metal. Good stuff.

Drudkh
>atmospheric black metal. My favorite album is Blood in Our Wells.

Imperium Dekadens- Dammerung Der Szenarien
>atmospheric black metal.

Kylesa- Static Tensions
>awesome sludge metal.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg- Traveler
>power metal with space themed lyrics. Pure awesome.

Made Out of Babies
>sludge metal/noise rock. Great female vocals.

Oransii Pazuzu- Muukalainen Puhuu
>space themed black metal.

Pensees Nocturnes- Vacuum
>bluesy black metal. Seriously.

That should be enough for now.

Last edited by killshot; 08-18-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2010

Actually, Boris kinda hurts my ears. The only albums from them I really am going to try are Heavy Rocks, and Pink. I tried out Smile, and enjoyed it, but it made my ears hurt. Slough Feg is awesome, if you meant them.

I'll check out Pensees Nocturnes, and Cobalt. I've never really been a sludge, or drone fan. It just isn't my thing. I like some power metal, but only the kind that sounds aggressive, and portrays a darker world of fantasy. Thanks for the name drops.
Old 08-16-2010

Heh, drone metal... 4 songs, 55 minutes; thank you, Sunn O))).

I have a one, single, solitary Sunn O))) song (thank you Southern Lord sampler). And then, there's Jesu... I'm not sure if I feel they're drone metal, but I honestly don't even remember what the song (Silver) sounds like.

... Let's see here... No one can destroy the metal!
Old 08-17-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlawedFlaw View Post
Actually, Boris kinda hurts my ears. The only albums from them I really am going to try are Heavy Rocks, and Pink. I tried out Smile, and enjoyed it, but it made my ears hurt. Slough Feg is awesome, if you meant them.

I'll check out Pensees Nocturnes, and Cobalt. I've never really been a sludge, or drone fan. It just isn't my thing. I like some power metal, but only the kind that sounds aggressive, and portrays a darker world of fantasy. Thanks for the name drops.
I understand what you mean about Boris. This is going to sound weird, but the first time I heard them my eyes hurt. You have to really try to get into the music and for some its just not worth it. I am talking about Slough Feg, but the album I mentioned came out before they shortened their name.
Old 08-17-2010

Last year, I made a list of Top 20 Metal albums that came out. I had to do a 2 part video on youtube. if anyone wants the links, lemme know.
Im doing it again this year, and I already have spots 1-3, 5, 9, 16, and 20 filled. kinda odd sorting I have filled out, but hey, whatever :P
Old 08-17-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapat View Post
Last year, I made a list of Top 20 Metal albums that came out. I had to do a 2 part video on youtube. if anyone wants the links, lemme know.
Im doing it again this year, and I already have spots 1-3, 5, 9, 16, and 20 filled. kinda odd sorting I have filled out, but hey, whatever :P
Its only august. How could you have most of the slots filled already? I'd watch the old one if you have the link.
Old 08-18-2010

KlawedFlaw, I'd suggest Behemoth if you haven't heard them already, but I'm going to assume that you have.
I don't have much black metal though. There's Cradle of Filth, but you either love them or hate them and their black metal-ness is somewhat questionable. Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon... as for Australian black metal in particular, there's not a whole lot to pick from that isn't inferior to stuff from Europe.

My favorite bands are mostly symphonic, progressive or power metal though (or all 3). I don't listen to black or death metal as much as I used to these days...

Last edited by Ohara; 08-19-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
Its only august. How could you have most of the slots filled already? I'd watch the old one if you have the link.
cuz I wanted to get started early this time. last time when I did it, I felt really rushed to listen to the new albums that I really wanted to check out [even though the last band (Dark Funeral)'s new album came out in October]. So this time, I've started early so I can get more time to check out.

And unfortunately, with the list, Youtube and that piece of shit WMG blocked the sound on the most crucial part of the list (Albums 10-1), so the only audio for the countdown that works is albums 20-11. i'll link that one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cdICmVWHLo
Old 08-19-2010

Lists like that are hard to make fair if you haven't heard every album that was released, though, and that's most likely too big an ask. I could suggest a few for this year if you're interested.
Old 08-19-2010

If anyone likes black metal check out Epheles when you get a chance. They're French and rather obscure but they're true black metal (not the main stream stuff) and the sound is beautiful.
Old 08-19-2010
Whiskey Icarus

More name dropping:

Ahab- Call of the Wretched Sea
> Nautical doom metal. Got me into doom.

Amesoseurs- s/t
> Black metal/shoegaze. One of my all time favorite albums. Its from the same guys who were in Alcest, Les Discrets, and Peste Noire. (All of these bands are awesome by the way.)

Destiny's End
> Some really good power metal. Even if you don't care for power metal, you should give this a try.

Edguy
> More power metal. Hellfire Club is my favorite of their albums.

Electric Wizard- Dopethrone
> Stoner metal. Possibly the best of the genre.

Galneryus
> My favorite power metal band. They're Japanese although I couldn't tell my first time because of how goofy power metal vocals usually are. I will say that Reincarnation was garbage and I haven't listened to any album after that.
Sample.

Haggard
> Symphonic metal. I'm not much of a fan of symphonic metal, but this band actually pulls it off well.

Septic Flesh- Communion
> Death metal. Shitty name, cool band. The tracks Anubis and Sangreal are the best on the album.

Vektor- Black Future
> Hope for modern thrash metal.
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
Lists like that are hard to make fair if you haven't heard every album that was released, though, and that's most likely too big an ask. I could suggest a few for this year if you're interested.
that is true. you really can't do something like this since theres so many that come out each year. and, while i cant tell you who made what spot, i can tell you who has made the countdown list so far:
In This Moment, BFMV, AILD, Burzum, soilwork, Immolation, Dark Tranquillity, Dark Fortress.

now I do have many that I still need to listen to; like Ozzy, Heaven Shall Burn, Arsis, Kalmah, Equilibrium, and more
Old 08-19-2010

Ahab is awesome. :>

I always have a huge list of bands I want to listen to, but always struggle with actually getting to listening to 90% of the bands.

Burzum is awesome. I only have the Anthology CD, but I want the actual albums.
Old 08-19-2010

Thread needs some Antestor because it's my thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SGpBAC5ABQ

They're Christian, but very good stuff. It's sad that the metal community tends to blow them off for their beliefs. :/ The music is beautifully done. The shrieks are some of the best I've heard, and I've heard tons of great black metal vocalists. This vocalists takes the cake. He doesn't just shriek, he can go mellow as black metal can get. The guitarist brings the sorrow of the music in amazingly.

I may like less Christian metal now, but Antestor is just such an underrated band.
Old 08-20-2010

Quote:
Edguy
> More power metal. Hellfire Club is my favorite of their albums.
Hellfire Club and Mandrake are my favorites of theirs, too. I like Tobi's metal opera, Avantasia, more, though.

I've been listening to a ton of power metal lately, so here's what I suggest:

Avantasia - takes away the gloomy mood present in a lot of metal and instead replaces it with a generally upbeat one. The music is unlike what I usually listen to, but most of the music is just wonderful. Sticks with the power metal tradition of having high-range male singers and gay lyrics, but who cares?
Favorite song: The Scarecrow

Rhapsody of Fire - Some of the most incredible musicians I've ever heard. The music work on most of their songs is just breathtakings. They have a bad habit of tainting otherwise magnificent songs with silly spoken passages to explain the fantasy stories behind each of their albums, but they make up for it and more with how well the bloody instruments are played. Very epic symphonic stuff with insane guitar playing and featuring almost every instrument under the sun.
Favorite song: Reign of Terror

Blind Guardian - They're pretty popular so if you know power metal at all you should know about them. Their new album came out recently and it's pretty good, though Sacred Worlds, the opening track, is the best song on it by far and makes listening to the rest of the album seem not worthwhile. Their older releases are more thrash/speed metal, while their newer releases are more epic power metal.
Favorite song: Sacred Worlds
Old 08-24-2010

For those of you who want to discover, or want to get a good feel of Black Metal, I'm gonna do what Ohara did and suggest some Black Metal bands:

Limbonic Art: These guys have a great sound. They sound straight out of Medieval Times. Not very popular, but great nonetheless.
Song I suggest you start with: "Beneath The Burial Surface". Long intro, but so dark and beautiful

Summoning: ONE OF THE BEST BANDS YOU WILL EVER HEAR IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE! They are so atmospherical, it's insane. All but one of their albums are based off Lord of the Rings, so if you're a fan of the series, its a win-win band. Their music is so powerful, that you can feel like you're in Middle Earth. STRONGLY suggest checking them out for those who have not heard of them.
Song to start with: "Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes". Even though the album that this is from doesn't deal with LotR, it's still phenominal!

Desaster: This one is meant for those who like both Thrash and Black (much like Skeletonwitch). Their lyrics are darker than Skeletonwitch, and aggressive. Sound is great. Not that well-known, so you know it's good!
Song to start with: "Alliance to the Powerthrone". This is the 1st song I heard by them, and got me hooked on them. Unfortunately, you can't find this or every other album (except the last one) on iTunes, so, that kinda sucks for those who want it.

Carach Angren: I just found out about these guys. These guys are like folk-Black Metal, and that's kinda cool. Their lyrics are of folk and ghost stories (haha, idk if thats like the same thing). Idk why, but to me, they kind of have a ChthoniC sound, which is good because Chthonic is another excellent Black Metal band.
Song I suggest: "The Sighting is a Portent of Doom". Great starting song. Nothing much to say other than that, haha
Old 08-25-2010

I saw Dir En Grey & Apocalyptica last nite so I'm going to add them in here. Dir En Grey is a little off the wall switching between death metal vocals and more like operatic vocals (all male). Their older stuff was more mellow but the new stuff is much harder. Apocalyptica if you don't know them, are basically 4 guys playing metal on cellos. Sometimes they have a backing drum kit and vocals, they tend to do team ups with popular vocalists (Cristina Scabbia, Linda Sund, Adam Gontier). They have original music but if you know of them but don't know much by them you probably know their covers (like Master of Puppets and such).

Also if you like bands in the vein of Theatre of Tragedy, Avantasia and Dead Can Dance check out Avrigus. They're basically melodic doom and all I can say is they're simply beautiful. They just got a new vocalist after almost 10 years and just released a new EP.
Old 08-26-2010

Apocalyptica are great, which is in no small part thanks to the cello being my favorite instrument.

And Avantasia are nothing like melodic doom, but I'll check them out regardless.
Old 08-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohara View Post
Apocalyptica are great, which is in no small part thanks to the cello being my favorite instrument.

And Avantasia are nothing like melodic doom, but I'll check them out regardless.
Avrigus are the one's that're 'dubbed' melodic doom not Avantasia.
Old 08-27-2010

I dislike metal.