This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2008

Ah yes digimon. the bowling pins set up for pokemon. i dont remeber them end. it just........happend. [smiley5]
Old 11-22-2008

Digimon and Pokémon literally have nothing in common besides the fact that there are monsters present in both. Seriously I have no idea why people keep comparing them because as far as the anime goes, DIgimon is far superior to Pokémon due to better characters, storyline, villains and it having a serial narrative.

That probably wasn't relevant to this but I thought I might as well say it, those who slate Digimon and defend pokémon are pretty foolish. As for when Digimon went wrong, Season 4 for me. Eliminating kids with partners and having a dude combine with armour to become a Digimon doesn't work to be faiirrr. Seasons 1 to 3 top are notch childrens tv though, easily my favourate television franchise at the time.

Yop Yop Yop.
Old 11-23-2008

I totally agree with Chidori. Digimon is waaay better than Pokémon (minus season 4 and 5.)
Plus, Pokémon is propped up by a major gaming company (Nintendo for those who don't know) so it is much much easier to keep running.
Old 11-24-2008

Digimon is still better than Pokemon.

Season 4 far from ruined anything, it changed it because HEY it was getting old, like Pokemon, and they pulled season 4 out and it was pretty sweet and badass. But still nothing beats season 1, it was amazing,season 2 was just more season 1 in my head and season 3 was where shit hit the crap star, yay for a world where Digimon is just a show.game.card game, and yay for having a terrible anime realize that and try to make it serious. I liked it but it was the first drop. Season 4 hit, totally different, but far from bad, it was action packed had a lot of betrayels that became actual face to face conflicts instead of digimon warfareand amde things interesting, and tehn THE WORST ONE YET comes along and vomits itself all over TV with a GOD DAMN police force that stops Digimon from reeking havoc, which I didn't care for (personally), but they completely changed the animation style and made it BAD for a major portion fo teh show, most of the Digimon are feeling like the new Pokemon with bad excuses to be made nad for the love of god we have the Code Lyoko complex with the transporter (at first anyway).

/deep breath, anyway seson 5 is the worst then 3 then 4 then 2 then 1 being teh best. But I personally like 4 quite a bit.

Now on the flip side, the movies for Digi aren't very good......while Pokemon's movies still aren't bad
Old 11-24-2008

I haven't bothered watching much season 5, didn't look right to me and as for season 4, i just wind that down to opinion although i have to admit it was still enjoyable. I definitly enjoyed 3 more though, most likely purely due to me watching it as a child and nostalgia just clouds everything with rose tinted glasses. I must say I completely disagree with you about the movies though, Our War Game and Hurricane Touchdown were stupidly good and the western adaption of the first 3 was rather enjoyable too. Although they are more classed as OVAs than movies originally. Quite frankly after the first 2 Pokémon movies they became started deteriorating and actually illiminating the origin of mewtwo from the first one was foolish on the western release, showing human cloning isn't going to scar a child. I suppose I should watch some more recent Pokémon movies though, I think i stopped at Heroes.

Meh, it's all opinions.
Old 11-24-2008

everything is opinions.

But no, the Digimon movies are all straight shounen crap, giving excuses to fight with very little emotion in them, especially the movies from season 3, the the move(s) from 1 and 2 weren't BAD but they couldn't hold a candle, and the season 4 movies were just bad shounen and the season 5 movie, and these ARE all OVA's but meh, was the WORST of them all, I mean watch it, they don't tell you anything, stuff just happens, they beat things up, and it's over........

The Pokemon movies aren't all good but better, the first is the best clearly, 2000 and 3 were still quite epic, Celebi was beautiful, Heroes was the first downer for me but not bad I guess, Jirachi was decent, that god awful 10 year anniversery was crap, and Lucario was quite good in itself too.
Old 11-25-2008

Seems you have just seen a fair amount more than I have, I haven't seen anything past the adventure movies and quite frankly I enjoyed all of them, even the revenge of diaboromon (although the ending was mega rushed). Watching the western Digimon movie as a child was just stupildy amazing, that and the '86 Transformers Movie were the best things ever back then. I have always prefered the Digimon Movie to any of the Pokémon ones bar the first as to me there's so much more to enjoy in there as well as the drawing style being a hell of a lot more mature and the fight scenes looking slick and awesome. Peg as 'generic shounen' if you please but it/they is/are still awesome. I will be watching the other Digimon moves soon though so as soon as I do I'll give my opinions on those as well.

Also, I doubt I'll bother watching any of the D/P Pokémon movies, I'll watch the series if I'm up at 6am at my friends house but aside from that I can't stand the new generations roster of monsters, for the most part they look foolish and show very little imagination.
Old 11-25-2008

Oh ya Pokemon in general after Johto got out of control and retarded and there isn't any reason to watch it. The movies however are still worth the pick up.

But the Digimon style more mature? Please the only mature style is the newest one and it looks like crap on a stick, the rest are all the same HUGE eyed big haired deformed anime people.
Old 11-26-2008

hmmmm, I'd nevet thought I'd here you complaining about 'HUGE eyed big haired deformed anime people' considering your anime buff status you prowdly hold. Yeah though, I would say the Digimon movies, specifically the second one/second part of the first one where they just took the style from the first season and improved on it greatly. The lack of outlines in a lot of the regular scenes and the orange ones in the scenes in the digital world all look awesome, Pokémon movies usually toss in some CGI and effects to make it pretty but the drawing style is exactly as it is in the later series. Ash and co are also huge eyed big haired deformed anime people.. aside from brock due to his lack of eyes alltogether of course.
Old 11-27-2008

I never once complained about HUGE eyes, that's the the anime way BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth), I never said it was bad, just that it isn't mature in any way. And the Pokemon style for the movies takes the same style bug kicks the animation quality up a lot, same with the Digimon movies aside form the second one which really did a number on it and made it look unique (for Digimon) and none of this is bad, just different.
Old 02-28-2009

I just couldn't get into the show after season one. Season 2 was alright, but nothing I'd go out my way to see. Season three was stupid, season 4 was crap, and I shan't see season 5.

As for Digimon vs Pokemon, Digimon wins by a landslide
Old 03-19-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to XxEnslavedNekoxX

I stoped watching after Season 1 too. I really liked Digimon back then though. Myotismon was cool and so was Gatomon. I got further with Pokemon, but I still love them both. I see nothing wrong with either one.
Old 03-23-2009

Pokemon has lasted way to long. Digimon had the better show but Pokemon always had the supior game. As for seasons i can't say much for anything past season 4 of Digimon but i always thought that seasons 1 and 2 were done very well. I have many episodes faved from those two seasons on my youtube. Digimon's story always had a running plot and a final conclusion which was always fun to watch, Pokemon has only arcs that never seem to end. I wish that Digimon was aired everywere in the states and not just on cable. does anyone know who has rights to Digimon right now?
Old 04-10-2009

Like what Chidori said, Digimon and Pokemon have nothing in common, except both shows consist of people taking control of monsters and both shows ending with -mon. Digimon in Japan was pretty much a guy verison of Tamagachi's, and then they decided to make a show about it.

Anyways sorry for going off topic, I guess it went downhills when FoxKids sold its soul to FoxBox, whom sold its soul to 4kids (douches). After that, no one really cared for Digimon. I guess it was just a fad effect. I remember Digimon was the most talked about show when I was younger...
Old 04-10-2009

Blurb: ???? ?????!

Really, Digimon was reborn with the advent of Savers (dub equivalent: Data Squad). Not only did it come back after quite the long hiatus, it adapted a more traditional art style, upped the age bracket a little, and was just in general quite well composed. While it may not have the complex story of Adventure, Savers certainly has the best characters the franchise has seen.

Though, the censors this time were probably the most anal and inconsistent ever.

Last edited by Elliot Gale; 04-10-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2009

Send a message via MSN to roxasabridged

Yeah... Citramon.

Anyways, I always felt S3 and S4 were Digimon's low points, mainly because they weren't nearly as epic as S1 and S2. I finally grew to accept that they had decent enough stories, how else would I have continued?

It's taken me months to watch 45 eps of Pokemon, were it takes 2 weeks to watch a full season of Digimon. How was Pokemon more interesting to everyone back then?
Old 04-20-2009

Blurb: Pizza, duuude
Send a message via MSN to berober04

I never got into series 3, but i loved series 2 and 1 wasn't too far behind
Old 04-23-2009

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

Ah, yea. Here's something I found on why Digimon is nothing like Pokemon.

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Digimo...on_and_Digimon

Another major difference,Pokemon's run off the same stale formula with barely any character changes, in the same world, for the past decade. Digimon has at least changed the characters each season (Season 2 had Season 1 characters returning in a more supporting role, Season 3 was in an entirely different story)
Old 04-24-2009

ggctuk, doesn't matter if they change worlds or people if they do the same stuff. ANd they do, just in a different way for each one.

Just so happens that Data Squad was SHIT
Old 04-24-2009

loldisney is what happened to it. ;>_>
Old 04-24-2009

They at least changed the villain, if not the entire formula. I've never watched Savers because there's no channel in this country who has the license to broadcast it. But I agree, it looks horrible. Not entirely Disney's fault (I saw Revenge of Diaboromon, which was dubbed by Disney, and it was better than the first movie IMO)
Old 05-02-2009

Season 3 is by far the best season of the lot. Season 1 was good, season 2 was meh. Season 4 was bad (because sometimes we want to watch someone other than takuya or Koji), and season 5 isn't broadcasted here, so I can't say...
Old 05-02-2009

Blurb: Trvest of the Trv, Kvltest of the Kvlt

They made to many suckish spinoffs.
Old 05-02-2009

In my opinion, all seasons of Digimon were amazing. Although, by far, season 1 has to be the very best.

I also absoluetly love Savers, but the dub horribly killed it, which makes me sad. ;C
Old 05-07-2009

Hmm. That's something. I just thought about it, and I don't think I ever saw a single episode of Digimon. Pokemon was my world, I didn't need another 'mon', haha. Should probably check it out, sometime.
Old 05-07-2009

I really loved season 2. I think part of the reason I hate season 3 is because they're the ones who came right after season 2, almost anything after season 2 would have been a disappointment. I didn't like the character designs in s3 either, it's like they got even younger. >.<

How old are the kids in Pokemon supposed to be anyway? It's been 11 friggin' seasons.
Old 05-07-2009

I loved Digimon as a kid but I think it all went wrong in the third season, it was horrible and turned me off. I liked the 4th season i liked the change in style in that season. The 5th season was the worse by far. i watched one episode and realized that Digimon was officially dead
Old 05-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyFoxglove View Post
In my opinion, all seasons of Digimon were amazing. Although, by far, season 1 has to be the very best.

I also absoluetly love Savers, but the dub horribly killed it, which makes me sad. ;C
I felt the dub treated the characters and storyline with respect, but the ridiculous amount of censorship and inconsistencies in that censorship was just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyEagles4Life View Post
I loved Digimon as a kid but I think it all went wrong in the third season, it was horrible and turned me off. I liked the 4th season i liked the change in style in that season. The 5th season was the worse by far. i watched one episode and realized that Digimon was officially dead
To be fair, it takes about 9 episodes for the plot of Savers to actually pick up.
Old 05-19-2009

I think it all went wrong when they decided to end everything in "mon". -_- That was always annoying and stupid to me.
Old 05-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimporta View Post
Season 3 is by far the best season of the lot. Season 1 was good, season 2 was meh. Season 4 was bad (because sometimes we want to watch someone other than takuya or Koji), and season 5 isn't broadcasted here, so I can't say...
Seasons 1 and 2 were directed and the dub scripts were written by Jeff Nimoy (who also voiced Tentomon and evolutions), but Nimoy lost control over it during the second season because of Fox Kids' meddling - they even meddled in the movie (hence the crap Willis subplot). He quit just before season 2 was finished, but graciously returned to do Diaboromon Strikes Back.