This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?
Default Inception

Cannot believe is not thread for this yet (or not one I could see) so what do everyone else think, I actually really enjoyed it and think one of best films this year
Old 07-30-2010
Possible Homersexual

Blurb: The MistakenLoner
Send a message via AIM to ThePRPD Send a message via MSN to ThePRPD

I really enjoyed it. I, personally, wouldn't say it's the best movie of the year but still good.
Old 07-30-2010

Blurb: Trading cards are the fabric of life.

I enjoyed the movie a lot and was happy it wasn't just a straight action movie with a story about dreams.
Old 07-30-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

I loved this movie. I'm planning to see it again soon. I'm impressed that Nolan managed to make a movie with so many layers of complexity and still make it simple to follow along. I only have two major complaints about this movie. First of all, they never explain anything about how this dream technology works. This movie already has a lot of exposition, but for a concept as unique as collective dreaming, I'd like to see more explanation than just a machine and some IV's. Secondly, they could have used more dreamlike imagery while inside the dreams. They did a good job during the scene with Cobb teaching Ellen Page how to manipulate the dreams, but *SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT* [ all the scenes involving Fischer's subconscious defenses seemed like wasted opportunity. If the point of training the subconscious was to alert Fischer and wake him form his dream, why aren't his mental defenses more dreamlike and ludicrous to make him realize he is dreaming? This was the perfect opportunity to incorporate nightmare monsters, dinosaurs, ninjas, or any number of nightmarish defenses that Cobb and his team would have to deal with. This would have made more sense and would have been awesome. ]

All complaints aside, this was a brilliant film. When my major complaints are that the movie didn't do more with the awesome concept it developed, you know something went horribly right.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever experienced a dream within a dream? The movie puts a lot of stock into the audience buying into this concept. I've only seen this happen in movies and I don't think it really happens in reality.
Old 07-31-2010

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining
Cool

i read a complete synopsis and had every friend that's seen it tell me i "must" watch it. i'm actually turned off by this movie now. it sounded rather cool before it came out but now it doesn't entice me and i feel like i'd be wasting my time seeing it. can someone tell me anything outside of the story line (which sort of is cool but seems lacking imo) which would make it worthwhile to see? is the imagery anything special? i also don't like dicaprio so on top of everything else that's a turn off as well.
Old 07-31-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystra View Post
i read a complete synopsis and had every friend that's seen it tell me i "must" watch it. i'm actually turned off by this movie now. it sounded rather cool before it came out but now it doesn't entice me and i feel like i'd be wasting my time seeing it. can someone tell me anything outside of the story line (which sort of is cool but seems lacking imo) which would make it worthwhile to see? is the imagery anything special? i also don't like dicaprio so on top of everything else that's a turn off as well.
Just watch it. Whether you like it or not, it's worth seeing just so you can talk about it with someone later. Even if you hate this movie, you'll be thinking about it for a long time after you see it.

Most of the cool imagery was used during the trailer, but seeing it in context makes you appreciate it much more. What I like most about the movie is that the story is completely original, or at least I can't draw any close parallels to any other films. I've heard it compared to the Matrix, but the only similarity is the concept of separating the mind and body to enter a fantasy world. You would be missing out on a landmark film that is sure to have imitators by skipping this movie.
Old 07-31-2010
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

I agree. The movie was absolutely amazing, something I've been waiting for after such story-lacking blockbusters, like Avatar.
Old 08-01-2010
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
I loved this movie. I'm planning to see it again soon. I'm impressed that Nolan managed to make a movie with so many layers of complexity and still make it simple to follow along. I only have two major complaints about this movie. First of all, they never explain anything about how this dream technology works. This movie already has a lot of exposition, but for a concept as unique as collective dreaming, I'd like to see more explanation than just a machine and some IV's.
=To be honest, though they copped out on this one, I think I prefer they did that, than make up some silly way of doing it, I think this furthered my disbelief blockers and made more accepting of the idea by simply not thinking about it, if had put some stupid idea of how works in I know I would be pedantic sort to over question it

Quote:
Secondly, they could have used more dreamlike imagery while inside the dreams. They did a good job during the scene with Cobb teaching Ellen Page how to manipulate the dreams, but *SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT* [ all the scenes involving Fischer's subconscious defenses seemed like wasted opportunity. If the point of training the subconscious was to alert Fischer and wake him form his dream, why aren't his mental defenses more dreamlike and ludicrous to make him realize he is dreaming? This was the perfect opportunity to incorporate nightmare monsters, dinosaurs, ninjas, or any number of nightmarish defenses that Cobb and his team would have to deal with. This would have made more sense and would have been awesome. ]
=This I do agree with, but guess they wanted to make that poeple won't realise dreaming, but think could have got round that more easily than believed as very few realise their dreaming till after wake

Quote:

All complaints aside, this was a brilliant film. When my major complaints are that the movie didn't do more with the awesome concept it developed, you know something went horribly right.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever experienced a dream within a dream? The movie puts a lot of stock into the audience buying into this concept. I've only seen this happen in movies and I don't think it really happens in reality.
I agree as for dream within a dream, I believe I did it once but I suck at remembering dreams so maybe that I believe I did when didn't

Quote:
Just watch it. Whether you like it or not, it's worth seeing just so you can talk about it with someone later. Even if you hate this movie, you'll be thinking about it for a long time after you see it.

Most of the cool imagery was used during the trailer, but seeing it in context makes you appreciate it much more. What I like most about the movie is that the story is completely original, or at least I can't draw any close parallels to any other films. I've heard it compared to the Matrix, but the only similarity is the concept of separating the mind and body to enter a fantasy world. You would be missing out on a landmark film that is sure to have imitators by skipping this movie.
THIS^^^^^
Old 08-01-2010
Rides Kaiba

I lucid dream a lot and have dreamed within dreams.
Old 08-02-2010

Great film. Even if you understand it once, it's so worth seeing again because of how great it is. I have on e criticism and that's just that I think it was trying to do too many things at once: Action, emotion, relationships, dreams art, all in one movie, it's hard to control. But that is honestly all. The rest I adored. It's a shame it's clearly not meant to be anything more than a summer blockbuster because I think it could be a contender for the Oscars.
I wrote a review of it for my full views, I can't be bothered to re-type it all.
http://bit.ly/djiJPu
Old 08-02-2010

Send a message via MSN to benjirimm

I loved this film but quick point about the ending:

The totem only works in someone else’s dream so whether Cobb's stopped or not at the end is insignificant as he could be in his own dream. Or have I got it wrong?
Old 08-02-2010

The ending:
[ If Cobb is in a dream, then the totem doesn't stop spinning, if he isn't, it does.. That is why the ending leaves us guessing, because you don't actually see it fall, which suggests he is still dreaming. This is supported by the fact that his children don't seem to have aged at all, despite Cobb obviously not seeing them for at least a year.

However, in contradiction to this, his children are wearing different clothes. On top of that, you can see that every time Cobb is in the dream world, he is wearing a ring. But in the final scene, he isn't, suggesting it is the real world.

I think it's up to us to decide. The film confused and played with our mind and I like to think it carried on doing that after it ended. It's a witty twist to the end that keeps us guessing about the world of dreams and nicely wraps up the movie. In the extremely unlikely event of a sequel, this moment and the entire film would be destroyed, so I like to keep speculating at the end. It really does sum up the film perfectly.
]
Old 08-02-2010
Whiskey Icarus

My interpretation of the ending:

[ The film leaves you guessing as to whether or not Cobb is dreaming, but I am of the opinion that the whole film was Cobb's dream and we never get to see reality. The reality of the movie is still very dreamlike. Cobb is being chased by a faceless group of people that are out to get him. This doesn't in itself prove anything, but is very nightmarish in nature. During the foot chase scene, Cobb is rescued by Saito, who clearly had no business being in Africa, much less going unaccompanied on a daring rescue mission. Some say this is a plothole, but in a dream we often see the faces of people we know rather than create a new person entirely. This could be a subtle hint that Cobb is dreaming. The most telling scene of all is the part where Cobb has to squeeze between two buildings that are impossibly close together and seem to close in the farther he goes. This is a classic nightmare that plays off the common fear of tight spaces. Combine claustrophobia with the threat of being chased by faceless attackers and you have yourself a textbook nightmare.

Something no one has brought up is the fact that Cobb's top is worthless as a totem. The movie made it very clear that if anyone else knew the weight and feel of the totem it would defeat the purpose of having one. Cobb's totem didn't even belong to him originally so even if the top fell it would indicate nothing.

The most interesting thing I've read about this film is that it also serves as an allegory for film making. Cobb would be the director, Ellen Page the writer, and so on. All the team members work together to create an illusion that the dreamer/audience can accept as reality. Every time something happens that the dreamer/audience realizes is out of place makes the illusion breaks slightly and we become more aware that what we are witnessing isn't real. This is represented in the movie by the subconscious manifestations of people looking at Cobb in unison when he reveals to Fischer he is dreaming. After he alleviates Fischer's fear, the people go back to what they were doing and continue with the illusion. If you look at the film as an allegory, the top spinning in the end could be a way of saying that even if the illusion was performed perfectly, in the end it is still just a movie/dream.

The top could also symbolize the perceived nature of reality and that we can never be certain of what reality truly is. The phrase "Life is but a dream," comes to mind. It could also not mean anything and is just there for people to draw their own conclusions about.
]
Old 08-03-2010
Rides Kaiba

I think you're right, Killshot.
Hmmm...
Old 08-14-2010
Chumba Wumba

Killshot orginality I was basically on par with Nik's idea's, only adding in the worthlessness of his Totom, however now read that, you have me convinced
Old 08-15-2010

I saw it yesterday. Naturally, it was wonderful. It's great to see an action film with actual depth - they're hard to come by nowadays.
Old 08-24-2010

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

It was a really good movie. If anything detracted from it for me, it was the music. Using that specific *DONNNNNN* thing for the entire last part of it grated on me. My only wish is that this wasn't the movie DiCaprio made just after Shutter Island.

However, if that's all I can complain about I must have really liked it.
Old 09-05-2010

Blurb: I will crossdress for tequila.

Old 09-05-2010

Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru

I'll just leave this here then.
Old 11-03-2010

Blurb: urban

I like this movie guys its storyline was terrific even i had watched it 10 times. You right buddy this was the best movie of this year.
Old 11-03-2010

Blurb: Blurb: Blurb: Blurb: Blurb: It goes on and on

I gotta say, this movie really impressed me with its original idea. Something that I don't see that often anymore with other movies. I'm not sure why but I think since I come from a family who values dreams and dream interpretation, I've come to love this movie so much.

Quote:
A dream within a dream is quite possible but it happens very rarely. I have dreamt once where I dreamt that I was killed only to wake up still dreaming and about to experience the events again that lead to my death in the other dream. [Pretty much a dream within a dream]

And Killshot, I really like your interpretation of the movie on how the entire thing could have been a dream since you explain some of the things that didn't seem to make sense in the beginning.

[ I'm just wondering, when the faceless group of men were chasing Cobb in the streets, could it have been possible that they were a dream defence dreamt up by somebody in order to protect themselves? And if so, then whose's dream was Cobb in? This movie sure does raise a lot of interesting questions. ]
Old 03-14-2011

Send a message via AIM to A. E. Stover

Meh. The plot to Inception was predictable, but they executed it well. I didn't like that the pace of the movie dropped extensively for about an hour, but when it started to pick up it was done quickly without any further slow-downs so it wasn't all that bad.
Old 04-06-2011

Blurb: Oh no, too many children's card games!

The last second of Inception is so predictably genius that it makes me want to cry and punch things.

I mean. Aaaaarg. But I love it. I really, really love it.
Old 04-06-2011

Do I get to wear a uniform?

(had to be said)

Anyway, this movie did something a movie has not done to me in a long time: it made me think. I love it for that. And yeah, I flipped out at the end. It was the greatest thing ever, but it annoyed the hell out of me. It drove me insane for about a week after I saw it.
Old 04-07-2011

Blurb: Scar got de monies.
Send a message via MSN to FluffyFTW

The complex plot, twists and turns of Inception, it was all very entertaining for me. At times I had difficulty understanding what was going on, so I had to reverse the DVD and play some parts again - luckily I had the patience to do all this.

No annoying characters, great cast too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanMan View Post

[ I'm just wondering, when the faceless group of men were chasing Cobb in the streets, could it have been possible that they were a dream defence dreamt up by somebody in order to protect themselves? And if so, then whose's dream was Cobb in? This movie sure does raise a lot of interesting questions. ]
I think that was Cillian Murphy's dream, but I may be wrong.