This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2013

Default Chess

Chess is a turn based board game for two players. It was found in Persia, but evolved over the years. The latest official changes were made in Spain. Like Shogi, Makruk and Xiangqi, it probably evolved from the Indian game Chaturanga.
The game board consists of 64 black and white squares, arranged in eight columns and eight lines. The lines are marked with the numbers 1-8 and the columns are marked with the letters A-H. The line numbering starts at the base line of the player, who plays white. The column numbering starts with the column at the left side of the game board from the perspective of the player, who plays white.
Each player has eight pawns, two rooks, two knights, two bishops, one Queen and one King. The initial setup is equal every game. Each piece kind moves in a different habit, for example the rooks can move vertically and horizontally while the bishop moves diagonally. You can't move your pieces to fields occupied by your own pieces. When you move it to a field occupied by an opponent's piece, you capture that piece. You win when you checkmate your opponent, which means you are one turn away from capturing your opponent's king and your opponent can't prevent it.
The game is turn based. The player who plays white starts. During your turn, you move one of your pieces. Then it is your opponents turn to move one of his/her pieces. The game ends when one player wins, when a player can't move any more but isn't given check, and when the game turns endless, for example because both players only have their Kings left. When you play with a time limit, it also ends when the time is up. In that case the player, whose time is up, loses.
Each player has total information. They know where which piece is standing and how much time which player has, so you can't bluff. There is no luck element implied in this game (you don't throw dices or draw cards).
Old 12-18-2013

Blurb: Oh no, too many children's card games!

All that really needs to be said on the matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RHLtx9r2LA

Also, "dice" is already the plural of "die". There is no such word as "dices".
Old 12-19-2013

oh, thank you. I thought dice was singular.

yeah, I know, non of what I said was really any new information to any of you, but I noticed there wasn't any thread for chess yet and so I thought this was a good way to start it.

about the video: I liked it when it said it was first played on nintendo. but when it became insulting it wasn't any more. "shit" isn't a funny word.
Old 12-20-2013

"Shit", like every other word in the english language, can be funny when used in a certain way. Such as how it was used in the video. Also, there is nothing unsulting about the video. There isn't a serious word in it. And don't be one of those people who gets pissy whenever they hear a swear word.

And the dice thing is understandable. The word "die" is rarely used, and "dice" will often be used to mean both the singular and the plural.
Old 12-20-2013

humour based on swearing has no niveau
Old 12-20-2013

1. What does niveau mean?
2. No, humour based on swearing is not funny. But humour using swearing is perfectly valid, and swearing does not reduce comedic effect. Complaining about a single swear word just makes you sound like an elitist and over-sensitive cunt. Especially in the area of comedy.
Old 12-20-2013

urm, niveau is diffictult to explain. dictionary says "hight, level, standard" but that's not really what it means. it rather means it has no style.
there are so many good jokes in this world. why do you have to make one where you compare "chess" with "Schiss" instead of something actually funny? I am not saying swearing is evil and nobody should do it. I just don't get what's so funny about it. "haha, he said shit, that's hilarious."

what does all this have to do with chess?
Old 12-20-2013

That's not the joke though. The joke is he's trying to trasition chess into a negative word. And Shit is the closest he can get. What funny is how awkward he makes it, as with the majority of his comedy.
Old 12-20-2013
Baby Panda

Blurb: Firmly grasp it in your hand

Humor is in the eye of the beholder... I feel the need to point out that this thread is getting off track? It might not be my responsibility to do that but oh well

Last edited by Mistyskye; 12-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

Chess is very interesting, and I enjoy playing it.
Old 12-22-2013

chess is a great game. It's amazing how different every game is.
Old 12-22-2013

Blurb: Bang Bang Bang Bang! Have a nice dream!

How do you remember which way all the pieces go?
Old 12-22-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

When I was a kid and I first learned, I remembered it by:

*White (square) on the right (corner) (to orient the board correctly)
*King and Queen are in the middle, but the Queen on her own color
*Bishops next to royalty because they were the most revered counselors
*Knights next because...
*Rooks on the outside edge like a castle wall
*And the pawns all go in front
Old 12-22-2013

well that is a clever way to remember it.
Old 12-23-2013

hm, yes, the first two steps are the same for me. but I remember the rest as a picture, not as a text.
Old 12-23-2013

I remember that the Queen of each side goes on their own color, and then just remember where all the other pieces go.

'Cause there's like 6 types of pieces.
Old 12-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zairak View Post
I remember that the Queen of each side goes on their own color, and then just remember where all the other pieces go.

'Cause there's like 6 types of pieces.
This.
Old 12-23-2013

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

I tried to learn how to play but never could get the hang of it

My math teacher in high school built a 3D chess board.
Old 12-23-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

I never really put it into words until just now. It was just the thought process I used when I first learned it at age 5 or 6.
Old 12-23-2013

I played with my brother once and he slaughtered me. Never played again. Ill stick to the Yugioh cardgame.
Old 12-23-2013

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

This video is relevant...sort of.
Old 12-23-2013

Blurb: If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

I love chess, and I know how to play it pretty well. The only problem I have is with the King.. I never really understood where it was allowed to move. I know that when your opponent checks you, you have to move it out of the way, but it seems that the spots you are allowed to move it change. I don't know, it's the only piece that gives me problems. :/
Old 12-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Rose-of-Ra View Post
I love chess, and I know how to play it pretty well. The only problem I have is with the King.. I never really understood where it was allowed to move. I know that when your opponent checks you, you have to move it out of the way, but it seems that the spots you are allowed to move it change. I don't know, it's the only piece that gives me problems. :/
The King can move exactly one space in any given direction, but with a few exceptions.

It obviously can't move into a space that's already occupied by your own pieces.

It can't move into a space where an enemy piece could move immediately thereafter, as that would be putting yourself into Check.

It can castle with the rook, but only under certain conditions.

That's really all there is to it. Move one space in any of the 8 directions, but only if there isn't another of your own pieces already occupying that square and if doing so does not place you in Check.
Old 12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zairak View Post
The King can move exactly one space in any given direction, but with a few exceptions.

It obviously can't move into a space that's already occupied by your own pieces.

It can't move into a space where an enemy piece could move immediately thereafter, as that would be putting yourself into Check.

It can castle with the rook, but only under certain conditions.

That's really all there is to it. Move one space in any of the 8 directions, but only if there isn't another of your own pieces already occupying that square and if doing so does not place you in Check.
Oh okay, thank you! :)
Old 12-24-2013

my problem with the game is that there isn't so much creativity. at least not when you are a beginner. when you are skilled, you can invent own moves, but when you are a beginner, you should stick to the books.

Seto, we need to play a children's card game once.
Old 12-24-2013

As long as there is no Seal of Orechalous, Black Rose plays that almost every time and I can never win.
Old 12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Rose-of-Ra View Post
You beat me in Checkers, and now you know how to play chess? No wonder I always lose to you!
Old 12-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetoLover95 View Post
You beat me in Checkers, and now you know how to play chess? No wonder I always lose to you!
I beat you at checkers? When was that? Ohh I think I remember now. Heh, wanna challenge me to a game of chess? ;D
Old 12-25-2013

Nope, Im good!
Old 12-25-2013

huh, you lose because she plays the seal? oh come on, the seal isn't that great. I wouldn't waste a slot in my deck for a card like that.

but back to chess: urm... it's a nice game.