This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2010

Default Multiple Abridged Series

First time posting here. Hope this is in the right place.

I love YGO:TAS, and my friend and i were looking into making an abridged series of our own. The problem is... there arent too many anime left that we know well and can think of that havent already been abridged.

So my question is, is it looked down upon in the abridging community to abridge a series that another person has already abridged?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-04-2010

If it's noticably inferior to the original, then yeah, it probably is. Don't let that stop you if it's something you really want to do, though.
Old 07-04-2010

Alright. I was thinking of going for FLCL, since there's a few of those, and i think i can do something original still, and it'll be good practice.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-04-2010
Possible Homersexual

Blurb: The MistakenLoner
Send a message via AIM to ThePRPD Send a message via MSN to ThePRPD

First - This is the right place.

Second - Don't call the parody you want to do "The Abridged Series". It's obviously been done to death and isn't creative at all as a result.

Come up with your own title.
Old 07-04-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

because PRPD is being, well himself, I will try to give you some help ^_-

-First call it what you want and if that is abridged series, go for it, this is fan made area and we accepted title abridging, so if you like term abridging, do it

-Secondly, in answer to actual question, it depends, very few poeple would ever abridge something like Yu Gi Oh or DBZ now, because of the poeple who have already abridged it, basically dominating that area and so no matter how good your work (even if do make better one) won't ever be given that credit, because such big and popular abridgers already done it, so where that leave you:-Point 3

-Point 3=Leaves you with every other series, whether been done or not, is probably fair game, however if you are going to do one which is already been done by a simi-popular group, still going to be hard to break in just not impossible, however if it is one where all sort of still luck-warm in terms of popularity, then depends on what you provide completely and with these, normally find that the best series will get enough views to inspire to continue while poorer ones will simply disappear from lack of support
=(in short, it depends who your going against and how good your own work is, but there are some untouchables out there however that being said, the first is not always equake to the best, hope helps)

-As for doing FLCL, well your choice, but i personally would do a different series, that series is already comedy (and comedies are hardest thing to abridge, because making a joke out of something which is meant to be funny anyway, and this seems to make it less funny, which one of the reasons I probably wouldn't abridge School Rumble)
-Also in regards to FLCL, its story is so clever and complex as to make trying to fit a story into an abridgment almost impossible, I mean this only my opinion and if you do it, good luck to you, I wish you all best and look forward to seeing it, I just "personally" would stay away from series of that kind, because the best series to abridge are ones which fundermentally rubbish, but love them anyway, like Yu Gi Oh

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2010

Blurb: you can learn a lot about your loved one by her reaction when you tell her you're married

I believe that team4star were not the first to make an abridged dbz, though they were the first to make a good one, and though im not sure, megami33's SMA may not been the
first either.
GX has multiple abridged versions, and no decent pokemon abridged was made yet (as far as I know) but there are houndreds of them.

buttom line: no one calls dibs on anime series, as long as you stay original it's fine. but you should avoid tose who have been overdone.

my opinion represent none of the "abridging community", only my own.
Old 07-04-2010
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRlol View Post
I believe that team4star were not the first to make an abridged dbz, though they were the first to make a good one,
They weren't on both of what you mentioned.
There have been plenty of DBZ "Abridged Series" before TeamFourStar, some of which were pretty good.

TeamFourStar is dreadfully overrated and their "abridged series" is no "milestone" like LK thinks it is.
Old 07-04-2010

Send a message via MSN to Ninjasplaycardgames2 Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjasplaycardgames2

TeamFourStars fails in comparison to Gozar
Old 07-04-2010
Chumba Wumba

well least this tread has proven one thing, T4S are a real success now, they have even got to the point that their disliked for the sake of being different -_-

-But seriously, is this thread about T4S or jika's question
Old 07-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
because PRPD is being, well himself, I will try to give you some help ^_-

-First call it what you want and if that is abridged series, go for it, this is fan made area and we accepted title abridging, so if you like term abridging, do it

-Secondly, in answer to actual question, it depends, very few poeple would ever abridge something like Yu Gi Oh or DBZ now, because of the poeple who have already abridged it, basically dominating that area and so no matter how good your work (even if do make better one) won't ever be given that credit, because such big and popular abridgers already done it, so where that leave you:-Point 3

-Point 3=Leaves you with every other series, whether been done or not, is probably fair game, however if you are going to do one which is already been done by a simi-popular group, still going to be hard to break in just not impossible, however if it is one where all sort of still luck-warm in terms of popularity, then depends on what you provide completely and with these, normally find that the best series will get enough views to inspire to continue while poorer ones will simply disappear from lack of support
=(in short, it depends who your going against and how good your own work is, but there are some untouchables out there however that being said, the first is not always equake to the best, hope helps)

-As for doing FLCL, well your choice, but i personally would do a different series, that series is already comedy (and comedies are hardest thing to abridge, because making a joke out of something which is meant to be funny anyway, and this seems to make it less funny, which one of the reasons I probably wouldn't abridge School Rumble)
-Also in regards to FLCL, its story is so clever and complex as to make trying to fit a story into an abridgment almost impossible, I mean this only my opinion and if you do it, good luck to you, I wish you all best and look forward to seeing it, I just "personally" would stay away from series of that kind, because the best series to abridge are ones which fundermentally rubbish, but love them anyway, like Yu Gi Oh
Alright. Thanks for the tips.

I was thinking FLCL because it's short, meaning it would be good practice, goofy, and there are a lot of things that happen that are easy joke material. I'll reconsider though. Might be something better to abridge first.

Last edited by Jikanu; 07-04-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2010
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
Alright. Thanks for the tips.

I was thinking FLCL because it's short, meaning it would be good practice, goofy, and there are a lot of things that happen that are easy joke material. I'll reconsider though. Might be something better to abridge first.
well like I said, that is only my opinion and I am only rookie abridger myself, but I have been watching abridged series sense the beginning and noticed lot of threads within them and what seems to work best, I just hope that now finally got courage to attempt a few myself, I can put my beliefs into practise lol

-How good at video editing are you, because that is my major flaw
Old 07-05-2010

Personally? I have no skills whatsoever. but i have some friends who are gonna take care of that part. i'll do the writing and voice overs while they take over video editing.
Old 07-05-2010
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
well least this tread has proven one thing, T4S are a real success now, they have even got to the point that their disliked for the sake of being different
Are you implying that, that's why I don't like TFS?
And saying that this thread proves that they're a success is silly.
Old 07-10-2010

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
Personally? I have no skills whatsoever. but i have some friends who are gonna take care of that part. i'll do the writing and voice overs while they take over video editing.
it takes a skilled writer to be a good abridged writer
even though I'm an actual writer, I am not all that great at abridged writing
Old 07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePRPD View Post
They weren't on both of what you mentioned.
There have been plenty of DBZ "Abridged Series" before TeamFourStar, some of which were pretty good.

TeamFourStar is dreadfully overrated and their "abridged series" is no "milestone" like LK thinks it is.
Normally, when I lurk this site, I disagree with your opinions, but this, I agree with.
Hell, I even told LK himself a few times that he should quit repeatedly plugging TeamFourStar since there are others that are as good, some even funnier than them, but I usually get 'lol, para, ur a fangirl XD'
Old 07-14-2010
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox295 View Post
Normally, when I lurk this site, I disagree with your opinions, but this, I agree with.
Just to be sure...
My opinions in general or just opinions regarding TeamFourStar?

Also the only reason why I say they're "dreadfully overrated" isn't because I don't like them. I mean even if I did like them I would still feel the same way regarding their popularity. I just say they're "dreadfully" overrated due to the way a majority of their fanbase makes them out to be.
Quote:
I even told LK himself a few times that he should quit repeatedly plugging TeamFourStar since there are others that are as good,
Publicly on ToonZone or privately?
Quote:
'lol, para, ur a fangirl XD'
Interesting...

Last edited by ThePRPD; 07-14-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjasplaycardgames2 View Post
TeamFourStars fails in comparison to Gozar
Seriously, like wtf. ARDBZ is terrible.

Oh, and PRPD - you still make it sound like TFS is now too "mainstream" for it to still be as good.

LK almost has to plug them now since he's so friendly with them, I think.
Old 07-14-2010
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmr View Post
Oh, and PRPD - you still make it sound like TFS is now too "mainstream" for it to still be as good.
Huh?

Quote:
LK almost has to plug them now since he's so friendly with them, I think.
What? No he doesn't. Just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean you have to plug his/her/their work into whatever you're doing.

Me and RebornZombie are friends but that doesn't mean I am going to plug his series into most of my videos and episode after episode.
Old 07-14-2010

Quote:
Just to be sure...
My opinions in general or just opinions regarding TeamFourStar?

Also the only reason why I say they're "dreadfully overrated" isn't because I don't like them. I mean even if I did like them I would still feel the same way regarding their popularity. I just say they're "dreadfully" overrated due to the way a majority of their fanbase makes them out to be.

Publicly on ToonZone or privately?

Interesting...
Publicly
http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269959

And, I agree with your opinions on TFS, I just don't agree when you say people shouldn't call their parodies 'The Abridged Series'

Quote:
What? No he doesn't. Just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean you have to plug his/her/their work into whatever you're doing.
I agree, but, a simple 'If you like my videos, then you might like this guys' is fine. Repeatedly plugging them episode after episode is just plain annoying.
Old 07-14-2010
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox295 View Post
I just don't agree when you say people shouldn't call their parodies 'The Abridged Series'
I'm not saying anyone can't or shouldn't (although I think I might have worded my posts otherwise, I don't remember) just whenever someone mentions that they want to do an or is going to do an "abridged series" I encourage the person planning to do a parody series to come up with their own title.

Especially when it comes to series that have been done to death.

Quote:
I agree, but, a simple 'If you like my videos, then you might like this guys' is fine.
Yup, yup.
Old 07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
it takes a skilled writer to be a good abridged writer
even though I'm an actual writer, I am not all that great at abridged writing
Im actually doing pretty well so far. the only problems im having are with the recording process. The writing's flowing pretty naturally.