This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Technical
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2011
Banned

Default Desktop computer problem-Screen goes black?

Originally, this problem only happened while playing games, so I dismissed it as maybe being a video card problem. However, it's increased in frequency recently, happening outside of games, even when I'm doing very little on the computer. Here's what happens.

The screen will suddenly go black. No sound can be heard, even if I was playing a game or listening to music before this happened. Clicking the mouse or pressing keys on the keyboard does nothing. The tower is still on, but pressing the power button does nothing-I have to unplug it and plug it back in, THEN press the power button to turn it on. The monitor is still on. I turn it off then on again, but no change. And if I press the buttons on the front, the settings stuff will still show up on the screen. This leads me to believe the monitor is not the problem. But if it's not, then what is? This problem is getting on my nerves.

Please try not to ask me to do anything too technical. My old tower stopped working due to age, and my relatives gave me this one. I don't want to risk doing anything that might cause it to stop working, and I can't afford a new one or professional help.
Old 05-08-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

ok, first of all, this is basic advise given from basic overview, unless I can see the computer first hand, I cannot effectively assess it, however you have my complete sympathy for the money front. I had two computers die last summer and was duressed into buying the wonderful thing I am writing to you on now. o0....so my first advise would be, if do need a new computer, do not buy anything less than £350, (or whatever equal worth is in other countries) unless have too, because they simply are not worth it; especially if you use it for gaming. I only brought this one, because I am a uni student and cannot live without a laptop, as used for assessments and the like.

=I would say, see if hold out till birthdays and christmas's and if get whole family to rally round for something......depending on your age and hometowns current position, look for part-time job???? Realise may not be possible, but worth looking.

Basic Advise

=These are the things, I would check before doing anything major:-

-First, write into google what your computer model is and ask about common problems on it. If is older model maybe less out there, but trust me, will be something as nerds have being compiling and referencing computer problems since internet began. It is unbelievable how many problems I have discovered exist in my models of computers, just by doing this and then following often very simple advise to fix it. It is your own freehelp line, only ran by people who know what doing.

-Check all drivers (especially any to do with graphic's and sound). Now I honestly do not think this is driver problem, because drivers generally work or don't work, while your problem sounds like it is half working. However drivers are the most common problem on all computers and great thing about them, is that they are easy to fix, lot of them can be downloaded free off internet.

-Next, check your system's updating register. You may find that the computer is trying to update something corrupted and that is causing this to happen.
:-just note, if this is the problem, because see if occurs when update is occurring should be easy to know by referencing when update is registered to happen and if this problem occurs then. However, it will be painful to fix, as normally the computer is updating lots of things at once and you literally have to find the specific update which is causing the problem. To do this, you will need to make it update each one individually which will take time. Though if lucky, will be one of first ones check, if not.....then could go all way to the end, before find right now o0.

My basic review

=this is what could be, like said, I would be miles off. Without being able to see the computer, cannot say with any great certainty.

=Ok, the first thing it could be, is a problem with sound or graphic's card. If you are playing game or too many complex sounds are coming from your computer at once, then this will cause it too crash. Now what you have said, makes me think this is not the problem because the results are different to what normally occurs. However as it seems to happen while playing music.....etc think worth noting.
-Problem is that if this is problem, getting ether of these replaced is completely not worth it on older and cheaper models.

=Finally, this is what I think it is, however maybe wrong, like said, as not see computer. Though if it is this, then you can breathe a sigh of relief, as so easy to fix, if know anyone even half-ok with computers; your only real problem is that this is not software problem. Basically, what I think is happening is that your vent or fan have dirt and fluff in them. This naturally occurs over time in all computers, however if not cleaned it can caused your fan to fail, meaning that your computer will be getting very very hot as you use it, this then means that something in your computer will be overheating and causing whole thing to cut out. My guess is that this will be your motherboard, judging by what keeps happening and how having to fix it.
-My advise, fix this quickly, it is not hard and should not cost too much, however if you don't, then problem will only get worse, till something inside your computer melts and then....basically, bye-bye computer.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 05-08-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2011
Banned

I cannot even begin to afford a new tower, and then there's all the problems with getting my current drives onto it and making sure it has everything I need.

I do not know what my model is. I've looked up this problem but found nothing that can help me. Really, you're asking me to do a lot of things I don't understand, like checking the update register and such. I don't really know much about checking fans, either.
Old 05-08-2011

If you've got Canned Air, Vacuum or air compressor you can blow out the computer.

I had a similar problem a while back, it's your computer overheating from the dust or poor ventilation.

There should be a place to open up the tower on your computer, or screws that hold it in place. Take that off and dust out the insides with the Canned Air, Air Compressor, or Vacuum.
Be Careful though, as the electronics inside the computer can be VERY SENSITIVE. Don't just shove anything in there or you could screw up your setup.

I could probably post a step by step picture guide for the two types of towers I have... Would that help?
Old 05-08-2011
Banned

It might.
Old 05-09-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

=well, I was giving you ideas, because simply, sometimes you have no choice but to replace a computer, however I honestly think this is the fan problem and seems person above agrees......however I would urge consideration before going ahead with their idea; that is bit like hitting the computer till it works, I mean it probably would work, but there are lot of peices that can be easily broken on computers and so that would be risky way to do it. I still advise, knowing that you are adapt with computers, that you find someone who is, maybe friend of family or something; this is not difficult task and all they need to do, is pull the vent system out and then with clean cloth/toothbrush, carefully clean off all fluff.

=With updating thing, well slightly different on all models, but basically go into control panel, then look for systems and surcity, then basically, look for something with word update in its title

=Finally, google won't be of much help without knowing the model name