This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2010

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

Oh I am so trying that one this weekend.
Old 07-17-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

=)
Old 07-19-2010

Location: A parallel dimension where my insanity is considered sane
Blurb: By the way,'...'. Just thought you should know.
Talking Mocha-choco cake (mmmmm...taste like ghirardelli...)

ingredients

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
6 tbsp coffee-flavored liqueur or syrup (OR if you cant find these get some instant coffee and put in just enough water to make it liquid)
1 store bought 8-in. angel food cake

directions
1. Microwave cream in a medium glass bowl on high for 1 minute (until it simmers)

2. Add choco chips; let sit for one minute. Whisk until choco is melted and smooth. Whisk in 2 tbsp of coffee flavored liqueur/syrup/concoction.

3. Skewer the bottom of the cake repeatedly and randomly. (great fun...)
Afterwards, brush cake bottom with 2tbsp of coffee flavored syrup/concoction/liqueur. Turn cake correct-side-up and put on serving tray. Poke numerous, random holes in top of cake (with skewer) and brush remaining concoction/liqueur/syrup on top off cake.

From here you can do a couple of things:

4a. Pour half of choco sauce evenly over top of cake. Spread with spatchula so some of chocolate drips down sides. Serve with remaining chocolate.

4b. Spread half of choco sauce evenly over top and on sides. (messy...)
Refrigerate 'til chocolate hardens. Then take the remaining chocolate and make pretty little designs on cake that may or may not come out correctly and be seen...

4c. Get creative with your choco sauce!!!
(Suggestion: Can serve like tira misu or tres leches cake with choco sauce in the bottom of shallow bowl with cake on top!)

Note: Recipe from Women's Day magazine

Last edited by K!XD; 07-28-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2010

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining
Default Vegan Peach Ice Cream

I haven't made this yet but I am going to try it soon because it looks so yummy (minus the ice cream maker; I have no idea where the heck mine is)

1 cup raw cashews
3 cups diced fresh peaches
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch cardamom (optional)

Place cashews in blender and grind to powder. Add remaining ingredients and blend well, at least one minute. Chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Old 07-24-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

Ingredients
Honey-Mustard Glaze:
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1/3 cup clover honey
• 3 heaping tablespoons Dijon mustard
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Ribs:
• 2 racks St. Louis Style /Country Style pork ribs (12 ribs each)
• 4 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 cup soy sauce
• 4 cups water
• 2 to 3-inch piece ginger, skin-on and sliced
Directions
Honey-Mustard Glaze:
Combine the vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved and mixture reduces slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey and mustard and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let cool to room temperature.
Ribs:
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Brush the pork racks on both sides with canola oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the soy sauce, 4 cups of water and the ginger and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture into the bottom of a roasting pan, fitted with a rack, and arrange the ribs on the rack. Wrap the pan with foil and roast until the ribs are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the ribs from the oven and transfer to baking sheets lined with foil or parchment paper. Turn on the broiler and let heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Brush the ribs heavily on the top side with some of the glaze, put under the broiler and broil until golden brown and a crust has formed. Remove from the oven to a cutting board and brush with more of the glaze. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Arrange the ribs on a serving platter and serve.

these are so good! *drool* really tender too - fall off the bone
Old 07-24-2010

Blurb: Scar got de monies.
Send a message via MSN to FluffyFTW

Peanut cookies - for all peanut lovers.

Note: If you have a nut allergy, then obviously this recipe is not recommended.
________

Ingredients -

One egg
4 ounces of brown sugar
5 ounces of self-raising flour
4 ounces of unsalted butter
4 ounces of crunchy peanut butter
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
2 ounces of Rice Krispies (doesn't have to be Kelloggs brand)

Method -

1. Heat oven to 190 degrees, gas mark 5.

2. Wipe a little oil over two baking trays. Break the egg into a bowl and beat it well.

3. Put the butter and sugar into your bowl. Stir/beat until creamy. Add the egg a little at a time. Continue stiring to stop the mixture getting lumpy.

4. Add your peanut butter to mixture, beat until it's mixed in well. Next, sift the self-raising flour and baking powder into bowl. Stir everything together.

5. Pour Rice Kripies onto a plate. Take a heaped teaspoon of the mixture and shape into a ball with your hands. Roll the ball around the plate of Rice Krispies until covered. Make more balls and place them on your baking trays.

6. Bake cookies for 20 minutes. Once cooled, use a spatula to lift them onto a wire rack.

Last edited by FluffyFTW; 07-24-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

nice, I'll have to try that one sometime =)
Old 07-28-2010

Default Sweet & Salty Chicken with Shitake Rice

Ingredients
4 lb chicken drumsticks, skin removed OR 2 lb boneless, skinless thighs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a roaster pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken in the roaster pan. Pour soy sauce over chicken and toss to coat. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the chicken.

Cook the chicken in the oven for 60 minutes. Every 15 minutes, take the chicken out and stir the pieces around the pan. After 60 minutes, turn the oven up 500 degrees and continue to cook the chicken for 10 minutes. The sauce will get thick and bubbly. Remove the pan from oven and place the chicken on a serving plate. Pour sticky sauce over top of the chicken (sauce will thicken as it cools).

Tip: Use a pair of kitchen shears to easily remove the skin from drumsticks. Simply pull the skin down to the bone end and cut it off with the shears.

Shiitake Rice
A savory rice side dish that balances nicely with Sticky Chicken. If you have turmeric on hand, it will add a bright yellow color to the rice - it does not change the flavor, so it is truly optional.

Ingredients:
1 cup jasmine rice
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
8-10 s---ake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
¼ cup frozen peas
¼ cup chopped onions
Dash of tumeric (optional)
1-2 Tbsp butter or margarine

In a medium saucepan add chicken stock and jasmine rice. Bring to boil over high heat. Stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Let rice stand for 5 minutes. While the rice is cooking, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the peas and cook another minute. When the rice is done, toss the vegetables with it. Serve!

Note: Stumbled upon on yahoo.com
Note: Taste like peking duck... or so my friend tells me. (never had peking duck but this is pretty good!)
Old 07-28-2010

Default Bachelor Buttons from AllRecipes.com

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 cup shortening
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the sifted ingredients until well blended. Roll dough in to 3/4 inch balls or tiny crescents. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely

Note: If you are new to baking make sure you're baking soda is fresh. You can't "just add more" to compensate for the fact that it's bad...you'll end up with "mookies" (muffin-like cookies). They sound better than they are...the texture is just...so...AWKWARD!!!
(Either that or I just don't make good mookies...T_T)

Note: I don't know if it was just me and my bad baking soda, but these cookies are kinda...i dunno...i guess i'd describe it as...minty. O.o

Last edited by K!XD; 07-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

so sorry, forgot to post last week's recipe

so there's a bonus desert recipe :D

chicken fajitas (LA style)
• .5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
• 1/2 jalapeno, seeded
• Salt and pepper

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
• 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
• Salt and pepper
• Cayenne

• flour tortillas (can also use corn tortillas, if desired)

Directions
Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap with a mallet or rolling pin. In a blender combine oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and pour into a large plastic bag. Add chicken. Let chicken marinate for 30 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat oil. Add onions and peppers and cook until they are tender and begin to brown.
In a 9x13 glass baking dish toss potatoes with oil and seasonings. Bake in 375 degree oven until crispy, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Heat a cast iron grill pan or an outdoor grill. Toast flour tortillas for about 30 seconds per side and keep warm in an aluminum foil pocket. Grill the chicken on each side for 4-5 minutes. To serve slice chicken into even strips. Serve hot with onions and peppers, potatoes, grated cheese, salsa and sour cream.

as a side note, when I made the recipe, I tripled the chicken and onions/peppers part and doubled the potatoes. this comfortably fed 7 people with leftovers (I also served this with salsa rice)

BONUS RECIPE

chocolate-flecked mousse
Ingredients
• 6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , or a mixture, finely chopped
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 tablespoon warm water
• 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder, optional
• 1 large egg
• 2 large egg yolks
• Pinch fine salt
• 1/3 cup sugar

Directions
Put the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with 1 inch or so of water to a very slow simmer; set the bowl over, but not touching, the water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until melted and smooth. (Alternatively, put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt at 50 percent power in the microwave until soft, about 1 minute. Stir, and continue heat until completely melted, about 1 to 2 minutes more.)
Whip the cream in a medium bowl until it holds soft peaks. Take care not to over whip the cream or the mousse will be dense. Cover and refrigerate while you cook the eggs.
Whisk the water and espresso powder together in a small bowl.
Put the eggs in another bowl that also sets over the water in the saucepan. Beat the egg yolks, pinch of salt, and sugar until foamy and light, about 30 seconds. Set the bowl over the water and whip with an electric mixer or whisk, moving in a circular motion around the bowl, until the eggs get very fluffy and hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. Remove the bowl from the heat and continue beating on high speed until the thick ribbons fall from the beater when lifted out of the bowl, about 5 minutes more. Fold in the espresso.
Fold about a quarter of the eggs into the chocolate to lighten it, then fold in the rest of the egg. Finally fold the whipped cream into the chocolate base to make a smooth light mousse. Pour the mousse into 4 serving dishes or wine glasses. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Serve.

For a dark, double-rich mousse, use all bittersweet chocolate instead of the semisweet, and decrease the cream to 3/4 cup.

I made this without the espresso. it was really really rich and super delicious.

@K, I'm gonna have to try that rice and those cookies =)
Old 08-15-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

I decided to try ribs with a similar cooking method to the ones I did a couple of weeks ago. they weren't as tender, but the sauce was good.

and the risotto potatoes were GREAT. they tasted like a non-soup version of corn chowder ^ ^

Vinegar-brined Raspberry Ribs
Ingredients
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• 4 cups water
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
• 10 garlic cloves, smashed
• 3 pounds spare ribs, silver skin removed, racks cut in 1/2
• 1/2 bottle beer
• 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
• BBQ sauce , recipe follows
Directions
Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill to high.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large resealable bag or nonreactive container; combine the vinegar, water, 1 tablespoon of the salt and 1 tablespoon of the pepper, 4 of the garlic cloves and the ribs. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes only.
Remove the ribs from the brine and season both sides with the remaining salt and pepper. Sear the ribs on an indoor grill or outdoor if available, until lightly browned.
In a large roasting pan, fitted with a rack, arrange the ribs on the rack and pour in the half bottle of beer. Drink or discard the remaining beer. Add the onion and remaining garlic cloves. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and put into the hot oven. Reduce the heat to 300 and roast for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the foil and baste the ribs with the BBQ sauce. Roast for 7 minutes, then turn the ribs over, baste again and roast for another 7 minutes.
Remove the ribs from the oven to a cutting board and slice between the ribs. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.

BBQ Sauce:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup yellow onion
• 1 tablespoon minced serrano pepper
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon minced ginger
• 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 2 cups raspberries, frozen
• 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
• 3 tablespoons molasses
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and serrano and cook until the onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and the ginger and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, being cautious not to burn the mixture. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar and then add the raspberries, jam and molasses. Stir to combine, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender, then strain through a sieve into a bowl or jar, to remove the seeds, pushing the sauce through as much as possible. Can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Risotto Potatoes with Corn
Ingredients
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1/3 cup olive oil, as needed for sauteing
• 1/2 one large red onion, diced
• 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
• 6 ounces frozen fresh corn (do not use canned corn - it becomes gummy)
• 3 or 4 medium potatoes peeled and diced (set on a paper towel to absorb moisture)
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• Salt and pepper
Directions
In a medium pot, heat the chicken broth to a simmer. In a separate large saute pan heat half the oil. Add the diced onion, garlic, and corn kernels. Use a wooden spoon to saute together until the onions appear translucent, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, toss the diced potatoes with the remaining oil and season them with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes to the saute pan with the onion, garlic and corn. Stir with a wooden spoon and allow surface of potatoes to toast lightly. Gradually add the heated chicken broth to the saute pan just enough to cover the potatoes and corn mixture. Over a medium to medium high heat, the potatoes will cook in the broth and by the end of cooking time; most of the liquid should evaporate. If the broth has boiled away before the potatoes are cooked, add more broth in an amount that is just enough to cover. Be careful to neither burn the potatoes nor allow them to turn too soft. When the potatoes are done, a fork can easily go through, remove from the heat, stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Old 08-22-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

due to a plumbing problem, James and I didn't get to cook for my parents this friday, so we didn't make the meatballs I had been intending. but we did cook artichokes and tonkasu at his house =)

Tonkatsu
ingredients:
1 pound thin-cut boneless pork chops or cutlets, trimmed
2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine, sake or sherry
1 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
3 large eggs
2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
3/4 cup cornstarch
Peanut oil, for frying
1/4 cup tonkatsu sauce (a sweet-spicy Japanese dipping sauce, sold near the soy sauce; or make your own by mixing 2 tablespoons each ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and sugar with 1 tablespoon water.)

directions:
Season the pork with salt. Mix the rice wine and 1 teaspoon ginger and spread on the pork. Stack the pork and set aside.

Beat the eggs with 1/2 cup water in a shallow bowl. Put the panko and cornstarch in 2 separate shallow bowls. Dredge each piece of pork in cornstarch, dip in egg, then coat with the panko. Heat 1/4 inch of peanut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Fry the pork in batches until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.

serve with tonkatsu sauce

steamed artichokes:
Ingredients
• 8 sprigs parsley
• 8 garlic cloves
• 4 bay leaves
• 4 lemons, cut in half
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 quart chicken broth or water
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 4 whole artichokes
Directions
Put the parsley, garlic, bay leaves, lemons, wine, oil and broth in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Season the liquid with salt and pepper. In the meantime prepare the artichokes.
Wash artichokes under cold water. Using a heavy stainless steel knife, cut off the stems close to the base. Pull off the lower petals that are small and tough. Cut off the top inch of the artichoke and rub with half a lemon to preserve the green color. Alternatively, you may put the artichokes in acidulated water. If you wish, trim the thorny tips of the petals with kitchen shears.
Place the artichokes in the steaming liquid, bottom up. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. The artichokes are done when a knife is inserted into the base and there is no resistance.
To eat, pull off a leaf and scrape the meat off the tender end with your front teeth. Dip the ends of the leaves in lemon juice and melted butter if desired. When you reach the center cone of purple prickly leaves, remove it. This is the choke that protects the heart. Now, scrape away the thistle fuzz covering the artichoke heart. The heart is the meatiest part of the artichoke. Steamed artichokes may be served hot or cold.
Old 08-22-2010

Blurb: Join my AA: Group!
Send a message via MSN to Dalord

here is a recipe that no one should ever eat.

1-2 Stick of butter
a bottle of quick drying chocolate
1 Popsicle stick

here is the recipe take the 1-2 sticks of butter make it into one rectangle shape Popsicle. Insert the stick. now you have a "Buttersicle" the next step is to dip the Buttersicle into the Chocolate. and now it's a chocolate Ice-cream-sicle. now chill it overnight. now you can get your victim to attempt to eat it. Enjoy.
hopefully they don't like it.
Old 08-24-2010

Dang Musi, you've been way better about this thread than me. :P Not that I mind, as a matter of fact it's very good. *bwhahahahah adds more recipes to her repertoire*

Anyhow, in order to rectify the problem, here's two recipes I've baked in the last month, and the pickling recipe I'm going to try this week. (cross your fingers on the pickling, i've never actually tried to pickle anything before)

German Black Forest Cake

2 c. + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cocoa
3/4 tsp. soda
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. milk
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
Can of fudge icing

For topping-
1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
2 cups of fresh cherries
1/2 cup of red wine
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter
dash of salt

Start with the topping. Take fresh cherries, pit and halve all of them. Take wine, cinnimon, vanilla, salt, and butter, heat on stove till butter is melted. Add cherries and simmer concoction for about 15 minutes, till cherries are soft, but still firm. Chill for at least one day, up to a week. (the longer you chill it the stronger the wine will come through later on.

On the day that you make the topping, take cherries and mix with 3/4 of the cherry pie filling (try to make sure you have at least 16-20 cherry pie cherries left). Take half of the newly mixed batch and puree it for 30 seconds, then mix *half* back into cherry mix, save other half for the top of the cake.

Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl; stir until well mixed. Add shortening, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat mixture 3 minutes at low speed of electric mixer scraping bowl occasionally.

Grease two 9 inch cake pans lined on bottom with waxed paper. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Split cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Make fine crumbs using 1 cake layer; set crumbs aside.

Place 1 cake layer on cake platter; spread with fudge icing and top with 3/4 cup cherry filling. Repeat with second layer and then top with third cake layer.

Frost sides and top with fudge frosting. Pat cake crumbs generously around sides of cake (there may be leftover cake crumbs). Take cherry pie cherries and make a little circle or square (depending on cake shape) around the top of your cake. Spoon the extra half of pureed cherries on center of top, between the pie cherries. Chill well.
Old 08-24-2010

Recipe #2
Cornmeal Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 9-inch cake pan with 2-inch-high sides. Dust pan with cornmeal, tapping out excess. Sift flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth and fluffy. Beat in orange peel. Gradually add 1 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping sides of bowl. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients in 3 additions until just incorporated. Transfer batter to pan. Sprinkle with crushed sugar.

Bake cake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Run knife around pan sides to loosen. Turn cake out onto plate, then invert, crushed sugar side up, onto rack. Cool completely.

(epicurious is where i found this one)

Recipe #3
Pickled Watermelon Rinds

Ingredients

2 quarts watermelon rind (equal to one medium-sized melon)
3/4 cup salt
3 quarts water
5 cups sugar
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1 tablespoon (about 48) whole cloves
6 cinnamon sticks, broken into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon Allspice
1 lemon, thinly sliced, with seeds removed

Trim the pink flesh and the green outer skin from the rind. Cut into small strips, about 1" x 2". Cover with brine made by combining 3 quarts water and 3/4 cup salt. Refrigerate for five hours or overnight.

Drain; rinse. Cover the watermelon with water and bring to a boil; continue cooking until fork-tender, about another 15 minutes. (Overcooking will cause the rinds to become rubbery.) Drain.

Combine sugar, vinegar, water and spice. Boil 5 minutes and then pour over watermelon; add lemon slices. Refrigerate overnight.

Heat watermelon in syrup to boiling; reduce heat to medium-high and for one hour. Pack the hot watermelon pickles loosely into clean, hot pint jars.Cover with boiling syrup, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal lids.

To seal: Submerge the full jars in boiling water (enough water so the jars are 1-2" below the surface); boil for 15 minutes (or slightly longer at higher altitudes). Remove jars and let them sit undisturbed at room temperature for 24 hours. Check seals.

(http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/ is this one's source)
Old 08-26-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

There might not be any recipes from me for a while as James and I adjust into the new semester.

That cornmeal cake looks really interesting though. I'll have to try it =)

EDIT: nevermind. we are continuing

Last edited by musigal; 08-28-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2010

Good news! The pickled watermelon rind worked.

I'll take pictures and post it later.
Old 08-27-2010

Blurb: Scar got de monies.
Send a message via MSN to FluffyFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalord View Post
here is a recipe that no one should ever eat.

1-2 Stick of butter
a bottle of quick drying chocolate
1 Popsicle stick

here is the recipe take the 1-2 sticks of butter make it into one rectangle shape Popsicle. Insert the stick. now you have a "Buttersicle" the next step is to dip the Buttersicle into the Chocolate. and now it's a chocolate Ice-cream-sicle. now chill it overnight. now you can get your victim to attempt to eat it. Enjoy.
hopefully they don't like it.
Definitely not trying this recipe at home.
Old 09-05-2010

Blurb: I dunno what is going on. OKay?

1 cup of pudding.
1 cup of yogurt.
Stir
Wonder why you did this.
Figure out it was a good idea.
Old 09-05-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Oven-BBQ’d Pork Roast
• 3 lb pork roast – any variety
• 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 1/2 cup cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2/3 teaspoon paprika
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Change Measurements: US | Metric
Directions:
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 11 mins
1. 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking dish or pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. 2 Trim fat from pork. Make deep slits in roast and insert garlic slice. Rub thyme over roast.
3. 3 In small saucepan coat with spray.Add onion and cook over medium heat stirring until slightly softened. Add tomato paste, chicken, vinegar, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, paprika, and Cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and heat through.
4. 4 Place pork in dish, and pour sauce over. Cover and bake one and a half to 2 hours until tender. Remove cover final 15 minutes to reduce sauce slightly. Slice thinly when cooled. Spoon sauce over slices and serve.

I served this with mashed potatoes and buttered cabbage: recipe below

buttered cabbage

-1 head cabbage
-butter

cut cabbage into quarters. remove hard center. cut quarters into bite-sized pieces. heat butter in a skillet (about 4 tablespoons) until melted. add cabbage to skillet. (I had to split it in half between two skillets - obviously then I split the butter as well) cook on high until cabbage begins to wilt. turn to medium and continue cooking until some leaves begin to turn a little brown on the edges and all is soft and reduced.
serve!

Last edited by musigal; 11-14-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: saw a typo
Old 09-10-2010
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Rump Steak Onigiri (Serves 1)

Ingredients
- 1 small rump steak
- 1 portion's worth sushi rice
- 1/4 of an aubergine (eggplant)
- 1/2 a courgette (zucchini)
- 2 asparagus tips
- Soy Sauce
- Pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 Nori sheet

Utensils
- griddle pan
- saucepan
- clingfilm
- chopping board
- sharp knives

Method
Estimate how much rice you're going to need to make 3 rice balls (it was about half what I used, which was half a packet... so say a quarter of a small packet of sushi rice/shortgrain rice).
Wash the rice, place into saucepan with about 330ml water, or less... probably less... >_>
Bring to the boil with the lid on and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Afterwards turn off the heat, leave for about 15-20 minutes - do not remove the lid, the rice is steaming itself.

Meanwhile, prepare your vegetables. Cut up about a quarter of an aubergine any way you like, it doesn't really matter. Cut up about half, or a whole courgette, depending on how much you think you're gonna eat (remember rice is rather filling). Have a couple of asparagus tips to hand. (Make sure everything's washed before you start cutting it up)

Lay out three 1ft square pieces of clingfilm on whatever kitchen surface you have to hand. Get a small bowl of water, lightly salt it - this will serve as a hand rinse to stop the rice from sticking to your hands.

When the rice is done, open the lid... at this point it's probably wise to transfer it to a large glass bowl of some kind. I didn't, and I regretted it. In any case you need to cool the rice down so it's not going to act like napalm when you touch it, so mix it around with a fork or something to release some steam, and leave it for a little while.

Wet your hands in the saltwater, grab a couple of handfuls of rice and place on the first clingfilm sheet, in the middle. Repeat for the other two. Make an indentation in the middle of the rice. At this point you don't need to lay it out nicely on the sheet, just a flat-ish dollop with an indentation in the middle will do.

Right, now things are gonna happen relatively quickly. Get your griddle pan, put some olive oil in it, and some pepper. Heat it up, get your little bit of rump steak and cook it how you like it... I did mine medium to rare, which took about 2 minutes on each side on a high heat, followed by maybe a minute or so on a medium heat.
Place your steak on a chopping board, cut it into about 3 strips, and then cut those strips in half, so you have about 6 little bits of steak... Place 2 bits into each of the indentations in the rice.

Grab the 4 corners of the first clingfilm sheet, pull them together, making sure that the outside bits of rice then fold over the top of the steak filling, covering it. Twist the clingfilm tightly, and leave for a little while - repeat with the other two sheets (this will allow the rice to stick together)

Put a little soy sauce in your griddle pan, and on a medium heat, chuck in the courgette pieces... cook for like 2 minutes or so, then chuck in the asparagus. A minute after that, chuck in the aubergine... add some more soy if you want >_> cook for like 3 or 4 minutes, I dunno, All I know is that I made the mistake of putting all the veg in at the same time - courgette and asparagus take a lot longer to cook than aubergine >_>

Put your veg on a plate, arrange nicely, crossing the two asparagus sticks over the pile of veg. Mould your rice balls into any shape you want: round, flat, triangular, whatever... remove from clingfilm, cut up bits of nori to your desired wrapping size (either the traditional little rectangle, or a full wraparound). Wrap the onigiri in the nori and arrange on the plate.

There we go, make with the eating!
Old 09-11-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

how to cook white rice.

3 cups water
2 cups rice
2 tablespoons butter

put all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. stir once. cover, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

shrimp/pork meatballs with tamari dipping sauce

Ingredients

• 4 scallions, green and white parts, coarsely chopped
• 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
• 1 serrano or jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped, divided
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/2 cup tamari, plus 3 tablespoons, dark soy, found on the international aisle
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, a big handful
• 2 limes, zest and juice
• 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails removed
• 1 pound ground pork
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon peanut oil
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 3 tablespoons water
• Toothpicks
Directions
In the bowl of a food processor combine the scallions, half of the ginger – grated or minced, half of the chopped chile pepper, garlic, 3 tablespoons tamari, cilantro and the lime zest. Pulse for 30 seconds, scrape down the bowl and then continue to process 1 minute or until finely ground. Add the shrimp and pork, process until the shrimp are ground into small pieces and the mixture is well combined but not so fine that it becomes a paste, about 1 minute. Roll the shrimp and pork mixture into to 24 balls, about the size of a large walnut. If you dip your hands in water before rolling the mixture the rolling goes a little easier.
Preheat a large nonstick skillet with 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the balls and don't move them until they are brown on 1 side, about 2 minutes. Turn the balls and continue to cook, browning on all sides until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
While the balls are cooking make the spicy lime dipping sauce: in a bowl combine the remaining ginger, chili pepper, 1/2 cup tamari, lime juice, peanut oil, honey and 3 tablespoons (a splash) of water. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if you find it to be too salty, add another drizzle of honey.
Platter the shrimp and pork balls with a bowl of the spicy lime dipping sauce and toothpicks.

The dipping sauce was way too salty for my taste, and I would change it if I did these again.

GARLIC GREEN BEANS

• 2 lbs fresh green beans
• 3 1/2 cups water
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 5 tablespoons butter
• salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 17 mins
1. 1 Bring beans and water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. 2 Drain and set beans aside.
3. 3 In lg skillet, saute garlic in butter until light brown.
4. 4 Add beans, salt and pepper.
5. 5 Heat through.
Old 09-11-2010

This next recipe, one small piece pretty much has your daily allotment of calories. Its pretty much poor people food but tasty

Chili Cornbread Casserole

2 cans of super cheap chili, or 4 cups of homemade chili
1 can of red beans
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup of frozen corn, or one can.

Mix ingredients together in the bottom of a casserole dish (*so hard*)

TOPPING:

1 c. cornmeal
1 c. sifted flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 c. milk
1/4 c. soft shortening

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add egg, milk and shortening. Beat with egg beater or electric mixer about 1 minute. Spread this over the chili mixture and bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. This makes about 8 servings.
Old 09-26-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

here's my friday menu and then I'll also post an enchilada recipe I did for my Bible study this sunday. =)

orange-balsamic-glazed chicken:
Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts or any combination of light and dark meat
• 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
• 2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
• 1/3 cup orange marmalade
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 cup chicken stock
• 2 scallions, whites and greens, finely chopped
Directions
In a large pan, heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high to high heat.
Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. When the oil is hot and ripples, add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes, then turn and sprinkle with rosemary. Cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
In a small bowl, stir together the marmalade, vinegar and stock and pour over the chicken. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and becomes a thin glaze. Add the scallions during the last minute of cooking time.

oven-baked lemon fries:
Ingredients
• 6 Idaho potatoes
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 lemons, zested
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Peel potatoes and cut into 3/8-inch thick slices (lengthwise) cut again into 3/8-inch thick fries. Place the potatoes into a bowl with cold water; this will help keep the fries crisp and white. Just before cooking, drain water and place on paper towel, pat dry completely. Put in a bowl; add olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Toss well and lay out in 1 layer on nonstick baking sheets. Bake until light brown. Cook for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, turning frequently until golden brown.
Remove from oven. Add lemon zest, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well and serve.

coleslaw:
Ingredients
• 6 cups shredded cabbage
• 1 cup shredded carrot
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1/4 cup sugar
• Salt and pepper
Directions
In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In a smaller bowl, make dressing by combining mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, sugar, salt and pepper. Toss dressing into cabbage mixture and let chill. Serve in a family style bowl.

I liked all of these dishes a lot =)

enchiladas:
Ingredients
• 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 4 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
• Salt and pepper
• cumin powder
• garlic powder
• dried Mexican oregano
• 2 red onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cup frozen corn, thawed
• 15 canned jalepenos, seeded and coarsely chopped
• 8 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
• 4 (14.5 ounce) cans sliced stewed tomatoes
• A bit of all-purpose flour
• corn or flour tortillas – about 20 or so
• chile sauce – recipe below
• 2 cup shredded Cheddar and Jack cheeses
Directions
Coat large saute pan with oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken over medium heat, allow 7 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder and Mexican oregano before turning. Remove chicken to a platter, allow to cool.
Saute onion and garlic in chicken drippings until tender. Add corn and chiles. Stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Cut chicken into a shredded consistency. Add shredded chicken to saute pan, combine with vegetables.
Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable. Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place as many enchiladas in each pan as will fit - with seam side down. Top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts.

Chile-Tomato Sauce:
• 2 large jalepeno chilies
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 large red onion, finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoon ground cumin
• 2 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
• 2 cup dry white wine
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can of tomatoes, pureed
• 4 cups chicken stock
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add chilies, remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes. Remove stems and seeds, place in food processor with 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid and puree until smooth.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add ancho puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine, tomatoes and stock and cook for 25 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Old 10-09-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

orange broccoli beef
Ingredients
• 3 pounds beef chuck steak
• 1 cup canola oil
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 1 1/2 cup orange marmalade
• 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 4 tablespoons white vinegar
• 2 tablespoon peeled and chopped ginger
• 4 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 cup orange juice
• 2 head broccoli, cut into florets, stems sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
Directions
Thinly slice the chuck steak, about 1/4-inch thick, across the grain. Cut the slices into 3-inch long strips.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Toss the beef in the cornstarch and shake off excess. Fry the beef in 2 batches in the hot oil, turning once, until crispy and golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside on paper towel lined plate. Carefully drain the oil from the skillet.
In a medium bowl add the marmalade, garlic, vinegar, ginger, soy sauce and orange juice and whisk until well combined. Add to the skillet, over high heat, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli. Cook the broccoli until slightly tender and the sauce is thick, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the beef, then transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately over the white rice
Old 10-13-2010

Soft-Chocolate Mochi

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 Cup Glutinous Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Tepid Water
- 2/3 Cup Caster Sugar
- Soft Chocolate Filling (See under mochi recipe)
- Potato Starch
- Food colouring (optional)

MOCHI
Mix rice flour, sugar and tepid water in a large bowl, making sure there aren't any lumps (it will be very, very thin) - I used a hand whisk.
Add a few drops of food colouring at this stage if you'd like

Pour the batter into a shallow microwaveable dish, and cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap). Put in the microwave for 4 minutes. Take the batter out of the microwave, uncover it to release the steam, and put the batter back in the microwave for between 3-5 minutes until the top is dry...

DUST EVERYTHING WITH POTATO STARCH - The batter will be unbelievably sticky. Dust your hands, spoons, worktops etc...

*At this point you need to have your filling prepared (see below)*

Take a very heaped tablespoon of the mochi batter, and roll it into a ball in your starched up hands. Flatten it on your starched surface, plop a bit of filling on top and pull the mochi around it, so that the filling goes... well in the middle. Pinch the top closed and roll it back into a ball. Dust it more with potato starch, wrap tightly in clingfilm, and stick in the fridge or freezer...

Serve and eat when they're cold basically >_>

SOFT CHOCOLATE FILLING
4 squares plain chocolate
2 cups cold milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 tablspoon plain flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Add chocolate to milk and heat in a bain-marie (I improvised a bain-marie with 1 big saucepan with 1 litre of water in, and resting a smaller saucepan inside the larger one - making sure the smaller saucepan doesn't touch the bottom of the larger).

When chocolate is melted, beat with rotary egg beater for 1 minute or until mixture is smooth and blended. Sift sugar, salt and flour together, add to eggs. Pour small amount of chocolate mixture over egg mixture, stirring vigorously.

Return to the improv bain-marie and cook for 15 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly, add vanilla and cool before using.

Makes 2 1/2 cups filling. This is waaaay too much compared to the amount of mochi made above

*will post pictures of my finished mochi later*
Old 10-14-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

neat. ^ ^
Old 10-14-2010

Photos as promised:

Old 10-14-2010

Blurb: BAR's resident party girl
Send a message via AIM to KidNothing

vegan cupcakes that are pretty low-calorie. i have recipes that are a lot more fattening, but this is the one i have on hand at the moment.

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes!

1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar (or app. 1/3 cup agave nectar)(can use your favorite sugar substitute as well)
1/2 cup applesauce, plain and unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, vanilla extract, or choc. extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour(can use whole wheat flour also. in fact, if you are so inclined, you can use 1 cup WWPF in the place of half WWPF/half APF)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line muffin pan with 12 paper/foil liners. (Optional: Spray liners with cooking spray)
2. Whisk together soy milk and vinegar in large bowl, set aside for few minutes to curdle. Add the sweetener, applesauce, extracts to the soy milk mix and beat until foamy. In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda/powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture while constantly beating/stirring until no large lumps remain. Do not overmix.
3. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18-20 minutes, remove and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. For frosting, use strawberry/raspberry jam with a layer of confectioners sugar OR following frosting recipe.

3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla soymilk
pinch of salt
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons blended silken tofu (light)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Blend silken tofu in a blender with vanilla and soymilk. Transfer to a bowl, mix in powdered sugar and salt.

Variaton:
Orange frosting - exchange 2 tbsp. soymilk with 2 tbsp. orange juice and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice.
Maple frosting - add 3 tbsp. maple syrup
Chocolate frosting - add 1/3 cup cocoa and 2 tbsp. sweetener.
Old 10-19-2010

Blurb: "Fred the Deacon is watching every unholy move you make."

Recipe:
1) Get money, and drive to your nearest restaurant.
2) Order and obtain the food stuffs.
3) Eat.

On a serious note, I'll probably start cooking again since winter is approaching. xD (I only cook when it's cold..weird, maybe.) So I'll post stuff someday.