This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2013

Blurb: TheOcean is waving.

I'm here to save the day!
Old 01-05-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

I agree with Fared that it's a lack of the time to commit as life becomes more full of responsibility that is in part killing the activity of the forum.
When I was in a dorm at college far from most of my friends and without a job for two semesters, I had loads of time to spend on this site. Death Note TFG and similar games were easy to keep track of every day.
But with a full time job and other obligations to spend time with people in real life and try to find a different, non-fast-food full time job (and, hey, the desire to spend my free time doing other things I enjoy [to be perfectly honest] a bit more than chatting on here - like painting or reading or writing - that then take up most of what little free time I do have), I really don't have the capability to spend as much time here, even though I love you all and wish I had more time.
However, having recently gotten a smart phone, it does make it more convenient to check on the forum during my lunch break and things like that.

I really wish that I could say that I commit to revitalizing the site, but with perfect honesty, I can't make that commitment because I simply do not have the time to commit, even though I wish I did. What I can commit to is never just abandoning the site like many of the former users. I will always make at least a couple of posts every time I stop by, and I try to do that at least once a day. And hey, some posts are better than no posts at all, right?

And I know that this post is super depressing. Sorry. T~T

Last edited by musigal; 01-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2013
Sex-Administrator

Blurb: This is a Blurb

No point calling it depressing when its the truth.
Old 01-05-2013

Blurb: It's everyone else who is upside down
Send a message via MSN to Feball3001

When I tend to come online after work is when everyone else is in bed so it sometimes seems like I am not active when I'm usually on for 5 hours (refreshing the tab while doing other things) due to lack of activity on the forums during the time I come online. I will usually stick around for a couple of months and then slowly get into other things before rememebering about the site and coming back for a bit for the same thing to happen again.

I have also lost interest in playing forum games where that was all I did at one point.

Last edited by Feball3001; 01-05-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2013
Draw all the things!

Location: The wind under my wings has carried me to where the sun sails and the moon walks
Blurb: Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
Send a message via MSN to kudos

I would like to suggest that the round length on some of the games like Death Note and Mafia get lengthened. That is one of the reasons that I don't like to participate in them anymore, even though they are fun. Whenever I would get a role, I would be offline at work or at school when my role was needed most, because turns were only one day, and then I felt like my participation was hurting rather than helping, and I just stopped.
Old 01-05-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

That would be interesting, maybe longer turns in order to give more time for prep. As someone else who now works, time is a major issue, as is energy. I am old now and so not as fast as I once was. haha
Old 01-06-2013

Blurb: The internets favourite Scotsman

We need to inject some life back into the social groups.

In the past, SSY and myself ran a very silly group called the The Sonic and Han Solo Utopia. This had originally started in the old days of user blogs and it grew form there. Although it only had 11 members, it was a great place of fun for those that did post.

Social groups were a fantastic way to bond with other users but now the majority of social groups are dead and thus a revival of the groups would surely be crucial in the resurgence of the forum community.

Additionally we should add new sections to the forum, such as a sports section. The categories and design of the forum have been the same for years and, as a result, the site has grown stale.

As I am writing this, there are 71 guests online so there is no shortage of viewers. We just need them to actively engage in the community

Last edited by CELTIC; 01-06-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-06-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELTICfan1888 View Post
We need to inject some life back into the social groups.

In the past, SSY and myself ran a very silly group called the The Sonic and Han Solo Utopia. This had originally started in the old days of user blogs and it grew form there. Although it only had 11 members, it was a great place of fun for those that did post.

Social groups were a fantastic way to bond with other users but now the majority of social groups are dead and thus a revival of the groups would surely be crucial in the resurgence of the forum community.

Additionally we should add new sections to the forum, such as a sports section. The categories and design of the forum have been the same for years and, as a result, the site has grown stale.

As I am writing this, there are 71 guests online so there is no shortage of viewers. We just need them to actively engage in the community
This. Social groups are one of the best parts of the site and no one uses them anymore.
Old 01-06-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Musical, my life is almost exactly the same, though for the moment, I have a little more time because living in some small village in middle of no where, second I return to london, life is going get hectic again and so my time on here will be less. That is why we need to ensure that welcome new users. Leave a future beyond ourselves so to speak.

Celtic/Kill, I concur, the problem with them was that this format makes them so unwieldy to use and they are therefore easy to forget about.
Old 01-06-2013

I have made a group called Operation: Rebirth where hopefully we can discuss the revival of the forum in more detail.

All welcome to join.

(Name of group inspired by a post from grimfang999)
Old 01-14-2013

The lack of activity in the activity thread is painfully ironic.
Old 05-12-2013
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

Bump, because the site is dead and we need to figure out how to revive it.
Old 05-12-2013
Sex-Administrator

Blurb: This is a Blurb

Well it would help if people would play the forum games V:
Old 05-12-2013
Closet Trekkie

Might help if people did more than play the forum games.
Like post and chat in other areas.
Old 05-12-2013
AssterGray Mod

Blurb: i set my clocks early cos i know i'm always late
Send a message via MSN to AsterGray

y'all should stop bitchin and enjoy what ya have
Old 05-12-2013
Closet Trekkie

what do we have?
Old 05-12-2013
AssterGray Mod

Blurb: i set my clocks early cos i know i'm always late
Send a message via MSN to AsterGray

for a start? a good 20 people who collectively give a shit about the forum, and by extension, the people who share it w/ them. but that means fuck all when at least 15 of em are gonna spend all their damm time whining about how shit sucks and how awesome the good old days were, just sayin. ...im too tired for this whateves peace out
Old 05-12-2013

It's not going to be truly revived until and unless LK becomes actively involved again. Logically, it does not matter in the slightest what quality or un-quality things we may or may not have to offer on the forum if nobody cares enough to look at it.

Second point, I agree with AsterGray. The percentage of complaining is astounding. This is not to say that we should just accept things as they are and not do anything to fix it, but most of the complaining is, as Aster said, complaining for complaining's sake.

Besides which, also as noted by AsterGray, the discussion sub-forum is actually fairly active when a new episode comes up. Given that that's what the forum is for... well...
Old 05-13-2013

I see this problem at every forum. Content generation. Preferably the desire to see content generated outside of the sub-forum's geared towards burning time and 'lulz'. When this forum first started, I'm going to assume that most of these sub-forums didn't even exist. They were the 'brilliant' ideas of active members that simply wanted to improve the overall forum and attract an active user base. Well, this is the point where you can't really make any new sub-forums. And what's posted in the most is the equivalent of Half Baked at another forum I frequent. (Short snippets of amusement and idiocy can be found there.)

However, instead of complaining about the quantity of quality posts, sometimes you need to take the initiative yourself and generate content. Unfortunately, this forum can live or die, activity wise, on LK's actions and activity. My only suggestion is to genuinely try to bring substance outside of the basis of this forum to thrive on. The sub-forums to do it are all here. They just need to be utilized.
Old 05-13-2013
Closet Trekkie

I'm not sure, I know I checked out the site because I found the link at the end of one of LK's episodes, and all the subforums and stuff was already there.

I lurked for a few months to get a feel of the place, before posting and letting folks get to know me, better.
Old 05-13-2013
Whiskey Icarus

I don't think this forum has anything to do with LK anymore. I personally haven't watched the abridged series in years. I couldn't care less if there was never another episode, but I like this place.

As for content generation, I've been creating content in the groups for quite a while now. Its just no one bothers to look for it.
Old 05-14-2013

I don't visit the forum for 2 weeks and the site dies.

Coincidence? I think not.
Old 05-14-2013
Closet Trekkie

*chains Celtic to the forums*

Now the site will live on forever.
Old 05-14-2013

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985

Alright, I've been reading this for about an hour now (it's not that long) and here's my view:

1) I agree with some things that some people have said. We need to revive what we like, get the name out there, and come up with something fun for new people. Personally I didn't like the BAR since it was hard for me to keep up (yes I actually try to listen to everything), but the caption contests, hangman games, and bigger forum games would probably keep people here if we could get them running reliably again.

2) While there are some people I wouldn't mind coming back, I have to take issue with the notion of yamichan returning. She wasn't just an asshole tracking mud everywhere, she was emotionally damaging to users in a sociopathic manner while trying to set said damaged users up to be banned by the mods and admin. Unless she's had some major therapy and a complete turn around, I'm not sure that bringing her back, or anyone banned for similar reasons, is a good idea.

3) Personally, I'd like an opportunity to have a copy of the forum's client side code and associated code-behind classes to see if I can't think of something to put in to make coming here a more interesting and engaging experience. I would submit any changes to the site owners and admins for approval and implementation, of course, but I think it's possible I could come up with something. I could provide work and character references if needed and any work would be done pro bono. I'm not suggesting this for everyone, I'm just asking because I'd like to see what I can do. Granted a few of my ideas are taken from the forums of more successful web content producers, but still.

4) For example, I'd like to have some place were it would be possible to put more mature (not nsfw, I mean mature as in reasonable, calm, and responsible) content and threads. Even though we have the Serious Discussions sub-forum, it's still not really a good place because unless it's used in the state the forum's in now, there will be quite a few people who won't take it seriously and post as if it's the BAR. I've seen a few forums with maturity gated sub-forums and was going to try and see about an algorithm in a few weeks. This would give the old guard's intellectuals and more mature members that might join someplace to talk seriously in a more active forum without worrying about runoff from the Off-Topic sub-forum, the discussion sub-forum, or anywhere else where people are just messing around.

5) I agree about the social groups as well. I rather miss the Evil Council of Super Special Awesomeness, the Lonely Hearts Club, and the RP group (which would have helped my game if they were still around). Another reason I'd like to try a layout change so that social groups aren't as much of a hassle anymore.

6) And to be honest, I find our single site admin Face to be just as distant as LK and Kroze. Maybe it's because I don't frequent the BAR or because he doesn't frequent the serious discussions, interesting off-topics, or any involving forum games, but I don't think I've ever seen him once since I've been on here with the exception of when yamichan was banned, and only then for damage control. It's also sad that the only mod that I ever seem to talk to anymore is Z, especially when I used to play with at least 4 of them either on the Wii, on Steam, or on here. And Z was only made an admin recently, meaning that for a while, I didn't seem to see any mods at all from where I usually go in the forum. Maybe that needs to change a bit.

Last edited by gwtyler1985; 05-14-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2013

I would like to see new forums being introduced, such as a sports forum for example.

Even though I was inactive at the time, a sports forum really should have been made during the Olympics as it obviously generated worldwide interest. A missed opportunity to grab some new members I think.
Old 05-15-2013
Closet Trekkie

There was a sports subforum on the kroze forums, but the sub-forum went away, when the forums switched servers. Also, it doesn't have to be just during the Olympics that the sports subforum can be active, there are other sports users and people find interesting that go on at different times throughout the year that users and people are interested in and can chat and talk about to their heart's content.
Old 06-02-2013

The forums games section is lifeless and the closure of Death Note etc seem to only have increased the problem.

Well done mods.
Old 06-02-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Death Note was dead long before the thread was locked. The forums seems surprisingly active today. Progress at least.
Old 06-20-2013

Little Kuriboh posting a video about his 'new site' sure got me back here for a little bit.

He should start encouraging people to visit his site at the end of the episode after his stinger.
Old 06-20-2013
Closet Trekkie

It certainly helps.
Let's hope the old folks will be politer and more accepting of the new folks.