This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2008

Something with no heart beat and no brain activity isn't even living! How you can justify giving it the legal rights of a human is just disgusting.

But you will never understand. Until you yourself are raped and have to live with the constant reminder of the horror for nine agonizingly painful months, you will never understand why abortion is necessary.
And don't you start pulling that "Oh well in SOME cases it okay" bullshit, because that's just pathetic. There is no gray area when it comes to abortion. Have some integrity, if you believe it's murder then it shouldn't be acceptable in any circumstance.
Old 06-02-2008

A fetus is not human, it is a developing human. There is a HUGE difference. If it is not a COMPLETE human, then it is not covered under any law.
Old 06-02-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

Quote:
Something with no heart beat and no brain activity isn't even living! How you can justify giving it the legal rights of a human is just disgusting.
By the time most people have their abortions, the fetus has developed both brain activity and a beating heart.
Quote:
A fetus is not human, it is a developing human. There is a HUGE difference. If it is not a COMPLETE human, then it is not covered under any law.
How, then, would you describe a complete human? Technically a fetus is considered such for the full 9 months of gestation, but modern medical techniques can keep babies alive that were only in 5 months of gestation. So, where do you draw the line?

I personally believe that abortion is wrong. Sophie is right in saying that you're either for it or against it, because you're setting double standards otherwise.
Old 06-02-2008

Poster is most likely male.

I don't believe abortions should be preformed once the baby has developed. And third trimester abortions are illegal.
Here you go, a fetus at a month.

That is not a human.
Old 06-02-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

It still depends what you consider human.

Also, I am not the only person who has said such. There are multiple females who have stated the same as I.
Old 06-02-2008

Quote:
How, then, would you describe a complete human?
I count a complete human as something that can learn, want, and think. Babies can do this, a fetus cannot. Therefore, I believe a fetus is not a human being.
Old 06-02-2008
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Babies can do this, a fetus cannot.
Do we really know that a fetus can't think? How do we go about studying that?
The only reason why a fetus cannot learn is because it is kept secluded from the rest of the world. You could keep someone outside the womb locked in a room for its lifetime and it wouldn't learn anything either. Learning is a social skill, and not everyone who is born is automatically social. The vast majority of people are, but I learned in my psychology class that some girl's parents kept her locked in a single room, giving her food everyday, and even though she was 12, she couldn't talk, walk, nothing except make lots of noise.

Though on the other hand, how come as soon as the baby is born, it has reflexes? Does the brain not work while in the womb and then all of a sudden as soon as it's born it automatically knows to suck on his mother's breast for milk and how to grasp a finger? Brain activity starts during the first trimester. By the 5th week the brain and nerves are working properly. Same goes for the heartbeat. It has a beating heart starting in the 5th week of pregnancy. As far as I know, most women have their abortions after that.

And the only reason why a fetus doesn't "want" anything is because it has everything it needs right inside the womb; there is nothing to want. Besides, like with learning, how do we go about studying what a fetus wants? And just because you can't study it, it doesn't mean that what is desired to be studied is impossible.
Quote:
Excuse me, but I have yet to call your opinions disgusting. You, on the other hand, are being incredibly rude and completely misunderstanding my point.
Both a heartbeat and brain activity begin during the first trimester. Most women have abortions after the first month of pregnancy; as far as I know, I don't think most women even know that they're pregnant until sometime during the second month.
Quote:
But you will never understand. Until you yourself are raped and have to live with the constant reminder of the horror for nine agonizingly painful months, you will never understand why abortion is necessary.
Didn't I already cover on the last page about Someguy's question about rape? Maybe I won't understand that situation at its fullest, but I do understand that it is unimaginably difficult. I already said that an abortion wouldn't be the best answer in the first place.
And I can guarantee that if it ever did happen to me, I won't get an abortion. Even if it means going through "9 months of Hell," I won't do it. The fetus shouldn't be the one punished for the horrible man's crime.

If you could just do me a favor and stop being so bitter. Pro-life people are not idiots and neither are pro-choice people, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that. Please be willing to do the same.
Old 06-02-2008

I don't count a fetus as human, it has no wants or desires as far as I'm concerned, it can't communicate wants, and it doesn't have any way of displaying thought or emotion, as far as we know. If these facts are proven wrong, then my stance will change, but until then, my opinion stands.
Old 06-02-2008

Quote:
The only reason why a fetus cannot learn is because it is kept secluded from the rest of the world.
your'e making it sound as if having a fetus inside the womb as opposed to out of it is a bad thing.
Old 06-02-2008

Well it's not what I meant at all... I mean exactly as I say it. There are no implications of any other meaning.
Quote:
I don't count a fetus as human, it has no wants or desires as far as I'm concerned, it can't communicate wants, and it doesn't have any way of displaying thought or emotion, as far as we know. If these facts are proven wrong, then my stance will change, but until then, my opinion stands.
Fair enough. I still think that a fetus can do more than given credit for and these things should in fact be studied and spread in the scientific world instead of being shrugged off.
Old 06-03-2008

I agree with someguy's latest speculation.

If it isn't aware, it doesn't care. This can be said for all fetuses in a notably early stage, not just human ones. Although, people generally do not take into account the well being of an animal fetus as vigorously as that of a human.

In regards to MrsSallyBakura and her last statement, I would like to note: The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. The fact that you are currently unaware of any confirmed scientific evidence suggesting that fetuses 'can do more than given credit for', does not necessarily mean that they undoubtedly can.

I'd like to point out as a general statement, that, logically, the argument that abortion should be illegal with the basis of it being morally wrong is merely an appeal to emotion. It would be easy to claim that we as human beings generally have an idea on what is right and what is wrong. However, the differences between right and wrong are purely subjective and aren't always relevant in terms of legalities.
Quote:
Sophie is right in saying that you're either for it or against it, because you're setting double standards otherwise.
This is a false dilemma, a very notable logical fallacy. The stances on abortion in regards to whether you support or discredit it are not mutually exclusive; Especially considering that there are a whole spectrum of possibilities as well as different impressions that can be formed around such.

I am both for and against abortion, given multiple, possible, circumstances.

If it endangers , shortens, or burdens the life of the child, or if it can potentially kill the mother, then abortion would be an acceptable decision. (Note that, in some areas, putting a child up for adoption is not always a very good option. Also there is also the fact that some women may not get payed leave while being pregnant, and that may seriously hurt their financial situations if they have no one other than themselves to support themselves.)

If the 'mother' very often and very casually uses abortion as a means for birth control, then it is in my eyes, immoral and demeaning to the 'mothers' character and therefor an unacceptable decision.

My mother wanted to abort me when she found out she was pregnant solely because she did not want to lose her womanly figure. In my opinion such a decision would be very selfish of her to make, yet it is in no way grounds for me to perceive abortion as a purely negative choice. Such would be naive. However, Luckily for me, her best friend persuaded her into giving birth to me. She also later had to persuade my mother to give birth to my younger brother and sister as well. My mother denys that she ever considered abortion yet my father, her best friend, and the rest of my family claim that they all jumped on the bandwagon to persuade her into ultimately going through with all of her pregnancies. I am more so inclined to believe the rest of my family over her, seeing as how she generally has a tendency to lie about things to make herself look better. That is irrelevant I suppose, but I have finished with voicing my general opinion for now.
Old 06-03-2008

once the fetus has brain activity and a beating heart it is a living creature. before that is fair game. 'nuff said.
Old 06-03-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

Brain activity and heartbeat are not required for life, either. There are countless organisms that have neither a heart nor a brain and they are very much alive.
Old 06-04-2008

Quote:
Brain activity and heartbeat are not required for life, either. There are countless organisms that have neither a heart nor a brain and they are very much alive.
But are they human?
Old 06-04-2008

Quote:
But are they human?
Exactly the question no one can answer.
Old 06-04-2008

well the only way to define what is truly of the species homo sapiens sapiens is as follows:
1. does it have human parents?
2. does it possess basic motor function and speech capability?
3. is it capable of adaptation and rational scientific reasoning?

if yes to all, then the subject is probably human.
Old 06-04-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

Quote:
2. does it possess basic motor function and speech capability?
3. is it capable of adaptation and rational scientific reasoning?
The only problem with this is that there are disabilities that remove these qualities from people. Does that mean that those people are any less human?
Old 06-04-2008

That's true. People used to think that mute/deaf/blind/lame people were cursed by the devil so they were social outcasts and spat upon and whatnot. African Americans and other races were considered beneath white humans and still are by some groups today.

Everyone seems to have their own definition of what a human is.
Old 06-05-2008

*sigh*
It's obvious no one is denying it's species is human.