This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010

Blurb: By the Power of Ra!
Default 30/6/2010 The Year I Lost My Belief

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10464282.stm

It's Very Rare that I do this, but I am just in need of opinions from people in and out of the UK.

Is this Right?
Old 06-30-2010

whelp, this is a great way to remember my 17th birthday.
Old 06-30-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

well, bringing in a legal view, I can only summise it is following the ruling of McCann, which said that even the unbreachable right to life can be breached in name of war and so what this means is that cannot enforce human rights during "battle" as simply impractial and battles sort of go against them from the start, if it means anything I will feel physically sick (not sure I like my view as it stands, but at least I can see logic to that, ether way, my next stop its Nexis Case reports)
Old 06-30-2010

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985

great. i can only guess what this will do for other rights during wartime...
Old 06-30-2010

Blurb: hi, have a nice day, bie.

off first glace no, but it makes sence from a theralogical persepective.
Old 06-30-2010

Tragic, tragic indeed.

Offhand, I find it amusing that the title of this thread appears with "Belief" cut off from the main page, leading to "30/6/2010 The Year I Lost My ..."

... Dignity?
... Arm? [or body part]
... Virginity?
Old 06-30-2010

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

Normal people are no better. Remember Vietnam when Veterans returning to the States were attacked by civilians and treated like garbage? Pretty much more of the same. It's something I can't understand. I don't have the balls to be a soldier and neither do a lot of the bureaucrats these days. So of course those are the people who decide when to send other people's children to die.
Old 06-30-2010

Blurb: "Mein Führer! I can walk!"

How utterly shameful. Especially during this time and age. I would expect better from the United Kingdom than this. This almost overshadows the terrible landmark court ruling the US Supreme Court made regarding corporations and campaign spending.

Bring the boys home. They've had enough.
Old 07-01-2010

Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.

Agreed with above post. I don't live in the UK and am unfamiliar with war, but denying people their basic human rights is wrong.
Old 07-01-2010

Blurb: Fah Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconia Dominus View Post
Agreed with above post. I don't live in the UK and am unfamiliar with war, but denying people their basic human rights is wrong.
As if that's anything new.
Old 07-01-2010

Location: In a room, in a house, on a street, in a village, in a county in England.
Blurb: loves JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revony View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10464282.stm

It's Very Rare that I do this, but I am just in need of opinions from people in and out of the UK.

Is this Right?
it seems so wrong to me, who would want to join the armed forces to protect a country that will not protect them while they do their job.
Old 07-01-2010

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

i'm thinking the only reason this is being brought into view is so someone can sue the government. in the military you have basic rations and it's been that way for hundreds of years (in the "civilized world"). you get food, you get water, you pee and shit whenever you find the place to do so, and you eat when you have the chance. you join the military knowing your armour, camos and whatever gear you have are almost 100 lbs (typically 60-90+ lbs) if not more.

in the case of the video shown in the article the soldiers are in the desert. the guy is straight up fat so of course he's going to get overheated faster than anyone else. but honestly that is NOT the military's fault. it's the soldier's fault for not taking care of himself. in a military zone you're on ration more or less. you go into a military zone knowing what you're going into and if you're not physically capable you damn well don't belong there. i believe this comes down to the soldiers parent lashing out because their kid died and nothing more but i don't believe (from what i've seen in the videos) the onus belongs with the military...beyond the fact that perhaps they shouldn't accept such heavy people as the young man in question into active military zones.
Old 07-01-2010
Chumba Wumba

guys I have read this case and it makes lot more sense than first appeared, it is a policy (or Draconian) judgment, but makes some sense, will try to explain tomorrow
Old 07-02-2010

Blurb: No. 8014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconia Dominus View Post
Yes, Denying people basic human rights is wrong within Military circumstances.
It's not like this hasn't happened before in any other country, especially other superpowers...

I don't get why this is such a big deal really... A few years ago the US stated that the constitution of the US and the US's Morals (Even stating "All men are created equal") Does not apply to "Terrorists".
I don't remember this getting alot of publicity. Then again, I suppose the US can do what the US wants to do...
Equally, Martial law where the military can impose laws against the peoples will - sometimes even going as far as breaching their human rights - has existed for many, MANY years.

Ok, So I don't agree with the idea of taking rights away from any citizen, Especially those who are willing to die for their country, but come on...
You have to admit it is a little impractical to give Soldiers a guaranteed right to life when their job involves willingness to die =P
It would kind of unstabilise the entire military idea when soldiers can refuse orders on account that it has a slight probability of resulting in death AND get away with it because they can point towards their human right to life...

It's not like the Military will stop granting them their rights because they can, it just means that in extreme security issues they will be able to protect the civilians, no matter what.

Last edited by Spoofs3; 07-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2010

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

Huh, they're not protected by the Human Rights Act, but they can be sued under it?
Old 10-06-2010

Blurb: How do I activate blurb?

I am neutral on this whole discussion, as I have not done enough research on it to form an opinion. The way I see it, if you are going to die, rights aren't as important as life (which is a right though, right?). I mean, which is more important, the right to education or the right to live? Call me a freak, but in self defense, I would deny someone else their right to happiness/live if it saved my life/many lives.
Old 10-07-2010

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

You know, this is somewhat ironic. Our soldiers aren't allowed to actually fight properly because of human rights laws and yet they aren't protected by them.
Old 10-17-2010

Blurb: No. 8014

How is that ironic?
The reason the Supreme court actually withdrew support for Human Rights Laws on the battle field is so they can legally fight properly =S
Old 10-20-2010

Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofs3 View Post
How is that ironic?
The reason the Supreme court actually withdrew support for Human Rights Laws on the battle field is so they can legally fight properly =S
Most people use the word ironic willy nilly and hope that they are using correctly 51% of the time...
Old 10-20-2010
Chumba Wumba

technically, on the way he has perceived these facts, it would be within the definition of ironic, his mistake is not a mistake of definition but a mistake of fact, and an easy 1 to make unless someone who understands how human rights laws actually work
Old 10-20-2010

Marshmallow

oh sorry
Old 11-03-2010

Blurb: Oh no, too many children's card games!

I agree that cetain rights are impractical to hold while in battle, however, the right to a decent treatment is vital. I don't know too much about this, but even if you remove their right to life as a matter of practicality, they should still have the right to be as comfortable as can be made in this sort of situation, especially when it may result in soldiers dieing outside of fighting.
Old 11-14-2010

Personally, I think war is stupid to begin with... >.> But I agree. Those that go out to fight, no matter how stupid the reason, are fighting for us. It makes sense to extend them the rights that they are battling to protect...