This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2010
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
Default Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Basically it's a reboot of the original anime, however less filler more Manga.

you will be seeing a lot of plot lines and episodes that appear in the first anime up until about episodes 12-13 (of brotherhood). That's where the original anime separated from the Manga and headed in a completely different direction.

I am currently up to episode 34, and absolutely in LOVE with this version of the Elric brothers' quest to restore what they had lost when they tried to bring their mother back to life.
Old 02-27-2010

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

so far i've loved it. i kinda stopped watching it though and i need to pick it back up.
Old 02-27-2010

Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

I just watched episode 44.
It's so awesome. My eyes were glued to the tv until it was over.
Old 02-27-2010

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

waited for the dub Can't wait till they get past everything already covered in the first series
Old 02-27-2010

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

WARNING: Semi spoiler but if you somehow HAVEN'T discovered Fullmetal Alchemist then GTFO.

My only complaint with Brotherhood is, in fact, the beginning because I felt they rushed through the first act of the series leading to the introduction of Lin (or Ling depending on your preference) rather than taking the character development time necessary to all of the characters that provide motivation later on in the series like Mustang's friendship with Hughes and Greed's loyalty to his chimera followers. It's a series that understands death perfectly and knows exactly how to play off of the devastation and heartache left behind by the void. I felt the first anime did an excellent job in the character development segment but fell short on having a solid focus to the storyline because Ed and Al really do just wander from place to place whereas the manga/second anime gives them a defined goal against an established ringleader of the homunculus.
Old 02-28-2010

Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

I thought this was a cute moment.

Old 03-05-2010

Blurb: guys watch my channel
Send a message via AIM to Blaydrix Send a message via MSN to Blaydrix Send a message via Yahoo to Blaydrix

The dub has been playing on adult swim for a few weeks now.
Old 03-05-2010

Blurb: One day, I will rule Candy Land with an IRON FIST.

To me, Full Metal Alchemist isn't the same without the search for the Philosopher's Stone. *sigh*
Old 03-05-2010

In responce to Titan I feel that they rushed the first X amount of episodes because they knew that viewers had most likely already read the manga and seen the first series. They wanted to move onto the new manga material before the audience got to bored and stopped watching.
Old 03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamiangie View Post
In responce to Titan I feel that they rushed the first X amount of episodes because they knew that viewers had most likely already read the manga and seen the first series. They wanted to move onto the new manga material before the audience got to bored and stopped watching.
Are you kidding? It's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. If people get bored with that then they deserve to have their faces pounded into a wall repeatedly.

@ILoveRyou: The "we want magic ball, there's the magic ball, go get magic ball" plotline is a fairly common and cliched plot device. There's nothing inherently wrong with it since that's the fundamental setup of One Piece but I like that FMA is far more complex than that on an intellectual level. The main characters are, in fact, young geniuses after all.
Old 03-05-2010

Send a message via AIM to Blaydrix Send a message via MSN to Blaydrix Send a message via Yahoo to Blaydrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanAura View Post
Are you kidding? It's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. If people get bored with that then they deserve to have their faces pounded into a wall repeatedly.

@ILoveRyou: The "we want magic ball, there's the magic ball, go get magic ball" plotline is a fairly common and cliched plot device. There's nothing inherently wrong with it since that's the fundamental setup of One Piece but I like that FMA is far more complex than that on an intellectual level. The main characters are, in fact, young geniuses after all.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 03-05-2010
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRyou View Post
To me, Full Metal Alchemist isn't the same without the search for the Philosopher's Stone. *sigh*
there's still a search for a philosopher's stone.
Old 03-05-2010

If anyone wants the first three episodes dubbed (the only ones that have been aired as of this point) I have them.
Old 03-05-2010
Closet Trekkie

sweet blay, thanks
but I've been saving them on my DVR.
Old 03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
sweet blay, thanks
but I've been saving them on my DVR.
I wasn't even aware adult swim was airing brotherhood until a few days ago. I only got the episodes today and haven't had to chance to watch them yet.
Old 03-06-2010
Closet Trekkie

I saw a ad for the brotherhood dub a week before the first ep aired.
and captured every one.
Old 03-06-2010

try adult swim video site
Old 03-06-2010
Closet Trekkie

I said I already have Brotherhood saved on my DVR.
Old 03-06-2010

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

Admittedly, I miss Al's original voice. Otherwise I liked it.
Old 03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamiangie View Post
try adult swim video site
They didn't post the full episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOcean View Post
Admittedly, I miss Al's original voice. Otherwise I liked it.
Aaron Dismuke is amazing. Luckily he said he will be doing another voice for this series, he just doesn't know what yet.

He also said he might be playing a part in a series he's not allowed to talk about yet, but it rhymes with "bobalia." XD
Old 03-16-2010
Closet Trekkie

I've managed to get caught up to episode 47.

I didn't really get Greed in the original series, but in brotherhood, I'm kinda digging on him just a tad.

I hate pride, though.
Old 03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
I've managed to get caught up to episode 47.

I didn't really get Greed in the original series, but in brotherhood, I'm kinda digging on him just a tad.

I hate pride, though.
Heh, Lin/Greed is win and I'm happy to hear I'm not the only person to despises Pride. That kid is a mega-dick.
Old 03-16-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

greed is always my fav, he is just so honest, its cool

PS Pride is the kid????????? I thought he was the general, unless changes in brotherhood\

=However poeple are going to now be both amazed and want to bash my head in, when I say this, which is that I liked the original amine more 0_o
-Do not get me wrong, Titan makes some points about its flaws which I appreciate, but I felt the opposite to him in one regard, and that is that I felt the characters and their attractments to each other were focused in the first anime, where as in the second, it felt they were trying to force too much plot, emotion and ideology into the characters and their links, meaning I almost became distracted and removed from them

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 03-16-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2010

Blurb: Nod at the bird and PEOPLE DIE, everywhere PEOPLE DIE!
Send a message via AIM to 0mnislash17 Send a message via MSN to 0mnislash17

I believe the Homonculii from the original anime and the ones in the Manga/new anime are slightly different, Fared. I could be wrong since I haven't read the manga but I remember hearing Fuhrer King Bradley wasn't Pride this time around from a friend and Wrath was instead or something.
Old 03-16-2010
Chumba Wumba

I see, 0mni, well not got to the kid yet, but I do plan to watch this series more fully now, as know that one of my problems is that I simply never get far enough into it,
Old 03-19-2010

Blurb: Finally at rest, the loving king

If it's more faithful to the manga than the old anime then I'll definitely have to watch this at some point. =o
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
I felt the first anime did an excellent job in the character development segment but fell short on having a solid focus to the storyline because Ed and Al really do just wander from place to place whereas the manga/second anime gives them a defined goal against an established ringleader of the homunculus.
Fared, did you miss this bit? What I mean is the first anime gives you much more time to learn and love the characters on an individual basis before a fair few bite the dust while the rest become further provoked/motivated to carry on.

To be honest, in order to appreciate the manga and brotherhood on a better level through the characters my suggestion to people will always be to watch the first anime and THEN read the manga/watch brotherhood. Doing it in the reverse order could easily ruin the first anime since it's so incredibly different from the source material and after all people's instincts drive them towards "CHANGE IS BAD" when it involves something they love.

Last edited by TitanAura; 03-21-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2010

Blurb: Look Pimpin', I ain't playin'...!

Watch the first anime first?! Why would you subject anyone to that?! The first anime was horrible. Ed and Al sulked more than whoever Linkin Park keeps singing about, Scar was a puss, the main villain was beyond stupid, "Sloth" and "Wrath" were moronic and had nothing to do with the sins they were named after, Greed was friggin' tossed aside, and then there's the hilariously stupid "Termin-Archer." I still laugh every time I see him. And he's supposed to be taken seriously, too. Oh, and then there's "WW2 is at the other side of the gate." That was also so stupid it was funny. When I saw that Hitler was in the movie, I damn near choked on my sandwitch.

And I still love how, in the first anime, Al was willing to believe the mind games of the disembodied spirit of a serial killer over his own brother. And then we were treated to some cliche'd "I hate you forever I'm running away" crap. Ironically, in the manga, Winry said to Al exactly what I was thinking when I saw those events unfold in the anime. And let us compare villains:

This is the main villain of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime

This is the main villain of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga

First anime was god-awful. Manga's amazing. Brotherhood's a godsend; now we get Amazing FMA animated (and well-dubbed to boot) for our enjoyment! For those who are new to the series, avoid the first anime like it has herpes, snatch the manga when you can, and watch Brotherhood. FUNi's releasing the DVDs soon, and you know I'll be all over that like stank on manure.
Old 03-21-2010
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Fared, did you miss this bit? What I mean is the first anime gives you much more time to learn and love the characters on an individual basis before a fair few bite the dust while the rest become further provoked/motivated to carry on.

To be honest, in order to appreciate the manga and brotherhood on a better level through the characters my suggestion to people will always be to watch the first anime and THEN read the manga/watch brotherhood. Doing it in the reverse order could easily ruin the first anime since it's so incredibly different from the source material and after all people's instincts drive them towards "CHANGE IS BAD" when it involves something they love.
<facepalm> to myself, think dyslexia took over there, for some reason thought you said second one did character development better, but I still stand by what I said, though the story is better in manga based one, the story in first one is still good and the characters and everything else is so much more (other than in areas where it needed to be less, like the annoying cartoon-cartoon moments, seriously, this Anime is not meant to be a complete comdy, so stop trying so hard to make me laugh -_-)

=In my opinion, it comes down to this, some manga's were not meant to be watched (like Deathnote is so much more forfiling as Manga than Anime can ever be) and the original Anime's writers realised FMA came under this line, so they changed the story to a somewhat more track and focused one, if maybe not as expansive in its application, because knew it worked better.

Quote:
And I still love how, in the first anime, Al was willing to believe the mind games of the disembodied spirit of a serial killer over his own brother
Someone clearly hasn't seen brotherhood as this happens in both Anime's, only difference is one of them has set enough character development and back plot to at least understand why he is doubting his own existence <facepalm>

-though I will give you it that the movie sucked, that in my eyes is separate thing altogether

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 03-21-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Shmeckie View Post
Watch the first anime first?! Why would you subject anyone to that?! The first anime was horrible.
Now you've invaded this topic huh? We just can't get along can we? And let me guess.... the first anime is what made you a fan in the first place but now that you've read the manga and seen Brotherhood you've "come to your senses".... yeah don't pull that one. You saw it and loved it at the time so at least give it the respect it deserves for being the reason you enjoy the series now as much as you do.

First anime = inferior to the original. Truth. First anime = awful because the original storyline is better? That's debatable. But the CONCEPT the show is based on, using alchemy at will in a pseudo-realistic setting with two main characters that are missing body parts so they instead have robotic attachments, is still FSCKING AWRSUM. The first episode of either anime will hook ANYONE who watches them. And say what you will about what happens after the events of Hughes, because the whole storyline goes through a blender at that point and the filler characters added into the series throughout can get thrown in there as well, at least the main characters are still rather consistent if only slightly more eccentric, though the angst could be considerably turned down (I think every anime screenplay writer has a daily routine of cutting themselves before working or something considering how much angst characters have for people that never existed in the original mangas). You will still learn to love them regardless of where they are or what they're doing. This is especially true of the homonculus. They had waaaay too much angst *especially Lust* so they don't even compare to the originals in the manga who pull shit so wicked you love them for being so god damn evil or you just plain hate them as you are supposed to and there is very little middle ground with the possible exception of Sloth who just sorta... leaves everyone indifferent.

What's so amazing about both series is how the transition between the original and Brotherhood is. Many people, including myself, became fans because we saw the first anime and thought it was awesome if only for some weird bullcrap at the end and the bizarre world shifting events for which the human mind is simply not equipped. Regardless, we loved it and for that to suddenly become MORE AWESOME the second time around is a rarity. I can't say the same about some animes.... *cough*Claymore*cough*

@Fared: The second half of the first anime was written because that part of the story wasn't even created in manga form yet.... basically they made a separate filler ending because they jumped the gun on making an anime for a series that was barely halfway done yet.

Also, gotta side with Shmekie on the Alphonse "zomg am i real?" angst. It was alright in the original version where it occurs as TWO conversations total and then he gets his head straight, the end. They took it WAAAAY too far in the first anime.

Last edited by TitanAura; 03-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.