This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

-Titan, you know lot more about these shows than me, so I will say that things like the reason changed was lack of knowledge on my part, but the reason you love the characters like homonculus, is very reason I prefer the characters in the original Anime lol, because in brotherhood, poeple like the homonculus seem so much more 2D, there is nothing redeeming to them at all, their simply evil and want what they want and that is it, while I will admit brotherhood is better at linking them to their names, in first Anime it at least gives them a backdrop and reasoning for their actions (and I liked them for that, well other than wrath who was way to much)

-Then have Al's moment, well I thought he was muppet in both of them, but least in the first Anime it sort of builds up with his angst attack, with him doubting his own new body...etc, and slowly builds it down again, in a way that is real and though maybe not likable, at understandable and something to empathise with, while in brotherhood, he is completely happy 1 second, some psycho says something stupid, then without warning he is mr destroyed, 1 conversation later and without warning again, he is happy once more, wow this guys moods change and easier than sycophantic manic depressives

-Do not get me wrong Titan, you speak lot of sense and I agree with your reasoning for the failings of the first, but I felt the failings of the first were so much less noticable and it enjoyment so much more, than they are brotherhood where i cannot help but keep seeing all these problems and keep finding the show annoying, there are times when I will just start to think it is working again and then bang it starts goes off again (still this is just my own ill edcuated opinion, nothing more) lol

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 03-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2010

Well I cant say that I didn't enjoy watching it. I love it to the very end and think both version of FMA are just AWESOME!!!.
Old 03-21-2010

Blurb: Look Pimpin', I ain't playin'...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanAura View Post
Now you've invaded this topic huh? We just can't get along can we? And let me guess.... the first anime is what made you a fan in the first place but now that you've read the manga and seen Brotherhood you've "come to your senses".... yeah don't pull that one. You saw it and loved it at the time so at least give it the respect it deserves for being the reason you enjoy the series now as much as you do.
Haha, look, you think you know me.

No, I hated FMA from the start. Well, not from the start, but from the point where it diverged from the manga. The entire reason I gave the manga a chance was because I found out the shit point was when the anime did it's own thing. That everything I hated was anime-only, and everything I thought gave it promise was from the manga. I reluctantly gave the manga a shot, and have been glad I did ever since.

I most certainly did not love anything about the first anime, save the first few episodes.

Quote:
First anime = inferior to the original. Truth. First anime = awful because the original storyline is better? That's debatable. But the CONCEPT the show is based on, using alchemy at will in a pseudo-realistic setting with two main characters that are missing body parts so they instead have robotic attachments, is still FSCKING AWRSUM. [more stuff]
The first anime stated that alchemy was powered by dead people from WW2, and that is a fantastic example of why it was awful. The first series got by solely on the quality material the manga handed it. When it tried its own thing... Well, one has to wonder if the ghost of Anne Frank was used to fix that radio in the first episode.

And no one, and I mean no one, can justify Termin-Archer. Oh, and I love how bland Archer was before that. Almost a poster child of how awful series 1was: when it created its own characters from scratch, they were bland, forgettable, and quickly turned laughably stupid.

First anime=awful because it's horribly written. I'd like to state this again: Adolf Hitler is in the movie. That's just stupid no matter how you slice it. The first series was like a fanfiction: all its "good premises" weren't theirs. They got the good ideas from a source material, and used it to write a terrible, terrible story. Brotherhood is more akin to the actual show. The official story. The real one. Series 1 is like a bizarre fanfiction that predates the show it's a fanfiction of. Kinda trippy, that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
-Titan, you know lot more about these shows than me, so I will say that things like the reason changed was lack of knowledge on my part, but the reason you love the characters like homonculus, is very reason I prefer the characters in the original Anime lol, because in brotherhood, poeple like the homonculus seem so much more 2D, there is nothing redeeming to them at all, their simply evil and want what they want and that is it, while I will admit brotherhood is better at linking them to their names, in first Anime it at least gives them a backdrop and reasoning for their actions (and I liked them for that, well other than wrath who was way to much)
Thing is, though, they're just as two-dimensional in the first series. While they're purely evil in the manga/brotherhood, all the first series did was made them sad. Self loathing is not the same as character depth. Made worse by the massive plothole that is the homonculi's creation. At least manga/brotherhood's homonculi are actual homonculi, and have reasons for their actions ([ they're incarnations of the sinful desires of their father he expelled from himself ]). All series 1 said was "we hate our existance so much, we're just gonna listen to this Dante lady because why not."

Last edited by Lord Shmeckie; 03-21-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2010

FMA manga was awesome! The new anime (Brotherhood) is kicking some serious butt right now! Yes the first anime was kinda lame i agree, Ganix didn't do the best job on it, but when does Ganix ever make great endings? (think Evangellion and FLCL, the endings were very WTF moments to me)
Old 03-21-2010

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

Before even reading this, your majesty, go back and fucking read my comments before firing back at me.

I'll briefly summarize my comments that actually agreed with your previous statements:
1. I agreed on the second half of the anime going bat-shit bonkers as if that even needed to be said.
2. The first anime exclusive characters can all go fall off a bridge for all I care.
3. I actually mentioned that the depressing angst was too frequent and out of place for the main characters. I'll give another example besides Alphonse: Mustang being suicidal after the Ishvalan rebellion in order to cement Hughes as being Roy's trusty wingman. Seeing them on the front lines together was enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Shmeckie View Post
Haha, look, you think you know me.

No, I hated FMA from the start. Well, not from the start, but from the point where it diverged from the manga. The entire reason I gave the manga a chance was because I found out the shit point was when the anime did it's own thing. That everything I hated was anime-only, and everything I thought gave it promise was from the manga. I reluctantly gave the manga a shot, and have been glad I did ever since.

I most certainly did not love anything about the first anime, save the first few episodes.
Keep telling yourself that. Brotherhood is not without it's WTF moments either: Hulk Cornello. Surely that burst a few blood vessels? To a lesser degree the FIRST FUCKING EPISODE that introduced every major and minor character within a mile radius for shameless fan service as it's very own filler episode. I hope you found that objectionable at least. /trolling

Quote:
The first anime stated that alchemy was powered by dead people from WW2, and that is a fantastic example of why it was awful. The first series got by solely on the quality material the manga handed it. When it tried its own thing... Well, one has to wonder if the ghost of Anne Frank was used to fix that radio in the first episode.
....again.... second half of series was non-canon and I could care less about the explanations they gave for WHY alchemy works although I find that last statement to be in extremely bad taste and not even chronologically correct as she would be dead 10-15 years too early and therefore an aborted fetus. /more obvious trolling

Quote:
And no one, and I mean no one, can justify Termin-Archer. Oh, and I love how bland Archer was before that. Almost a poster child of how awful series 1was: when it created its own characters from scratch, they were bland, forgettable, and quickly turned laughably stupid.
BLAH BLAH DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION BLAH I AM A STEALTH TROLL BLAH

Quote:
First anime=awful because it's horribly written. I'd like to state this again: Adolf Hitler is in the movie. That's just stupid no matter how you slice it.
I agree. Doesn't mean you can't appreciate the fact that it introduced us to the fucking series. I honestly can't fathom why you think I'm defending the first series as this flawless golden calf when I've made a point to nitpick any and every little thing wrong with both animes until their kneecaps give way. It's simply that Brotherhood has that much less to complain about. If you really want to see me get bitchy about this then here:
Lin is my favorite character! Why'd they change his name to Lin(g) in Brotherhood?! How dare they change the spelling of a character to something slightly different but pronounced the same! GRRRR. *rips kitten in half*

While I do this mostly to troll, as anyone who's been here long enough to know that, I am trying to make a point here. Both animes have good bits in them and you have to acknowledge them even if they're surrounded by a massive pile of shit. To give this an equally retarded analogy, FMA 1 is a pile of shit with several large diamonds in the shape of prominent characters scattered around the foundation whereas Brotherhood is a glorious jewel encrusted golden statue with a few pigeon droppings splattered on it.
Old 03-21-2010
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

note: can we avoid spoiling episodes and future plot points of Brotherhood for those that haven't caught up as far as those that are just watching the the Brotherhood anime for the first time or have only seen the first FMA? thanks.
~~
On to what I originally came here to say...

I'm going to have to agree with Titan on the order of watching the FMA animes and reading the Manga.

I got into FMA through the first anime. I was skeptical and curious and after watching a few episodes, LIKED the first anime. I was never aware that there was a different version until a random search on YouTube showed me the first few episodes of Brotherhood.

At first, after watching those precious few episodes of Brotherhood, my initial reaction was hate, for this was not the FMA I knew and loved. My first instinct in regards to change is "Kill it with Fire." My outrage over, what I thought, was the raping of one of my favourite animes eventually died down and I became curious all over again, about this new anime which was FMA but from a different direction. I continued watching more and more eps of Brotherhood and eventually developed a newer stronger passion for the series, enough to seek out and find the Manga, which I am now reading.

Summary, if you are just getting into FMA, watch the first anime to introduce you to the series, then watch Brotherhood to go deeper, and finally, read the manga to tie everything together.
Old 03-21-2010

Blurb: Nod at the bird and PEOPLE DIE, everywhere PEOPLE DIE!
Send a message via AIM to 0mnislash17 Send a message via MSN to 0mnislash17

I agree with Titan, the first anime is what got me into FMA in the first place. Sure the second half of the anime was confusing and hard to believe half the crap was going on but it still was enough to make me and a bunch of other fans happy I'm sure. When I heard that the first series was nothing like the manga I was first like "Wait, what? That possible?" (Mind you, I've never read the manga.) So I checked out the first episode of Brotherhood since it was supposed to follow the manga better and what do you know, it was different but good. So I accepted Brotherhood rather than hate or like one more than the other cause both served a different purpose.

So yeah, watch the first anime first...then watch Brotherhood/read the manga and before you decide to hate the first, just remember it didn't have a complete manga to follow and did a good job with what it had.
Old 03-21-2010

Good god, Titan, you need to go outside or something...!

And I don't need to "tell myself" anything. I thought FMA, as a whole, was horsepiss for the longest time because of that first series. It was well over a year before I gave the manga a shot, and I fully expected that to be a massive mess of angst and plot holes like the anime. Pretty glad I was wrong, there. The only thing the first series did was show me the series exists, which Wikipedia can do just as well, without leading me to believe the show is the television equivalent of browned toilet paper for over a year. I didn't need a terrible "intro series" to check out any of the other mangas I read, so why should FMA series 1 get any credit for doing that?

And why are you flipping out when I agreed with, and elaborated on, the second half that I quoted? Damn, man, you got problems...

And yes, Hulk Cornello was stupid, but it lasted all of a few minutes. So it was hardly worth even the twitch of an eyebrow.

Also, do you know what, exactly, a troll is?! Internet kind, I mean, not the Billy Goats Gruff kind. Which I will totally cop to.

Frankly, I'd advise skipping the first series altogether, and just check out either the manga, or Brotherhood. Series 1 serves no purpose beyond that. Both introduce the characters and story just fine. The manga moreso, in fact.
Old 03-22-2010

Quote:
Good god, Titan, you need to go outside or something...!
And why are you flipping out when I agreed with, and elaborated on, the second half that I quoted? Damn, man, you got problems...
Old 03-22-2010
Closet Trekkie

HOLY CRAP EP 48

[ pride eats gluttony ]
Old 03-22-2010

Wow, the series is that far in only 48 episodes?! Won't have to wait too long to see the recent, epic events animated, then...!
Old 03-22-2010
Closet Trekkie

I'm watching sub, but yeah, 48 eps released so far
Old 03-22-2010

Damn... Shit moves quick when you don't have filler...!
Old 03-22-2010
Closet Trekkie

indeed it does.
part of the reason I love brotherhood is that there's less filler than the original and it's more true to the manga
Old 03-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
indeed it does.
part of the reason I love brotherhood is that there's less filler than the original and it's more true to the manga
Indeed. It's extremely streamlined and as fast paced as the manga.... in fact it's more fast paced than the manga because it skips a few minor scenes, one of which I noticed the absence of immediately because of my emotional attachment to that particular scene:

Dr. Marcoh gives Ed and Al a clue and then is immediately confronted by Lust *END SCENE*. I felt slightly betrayed and bitter because it excluded the methods in which she roughs him up. It still gets the point across that he's totally screwed and the rest is history but in the manga she not only overwhelms him, as to be expected, but what shot me through the heart is when that little girl named Kiri runs in the through the front door and becomes a hostage before you can say "boned." Although Kiri is nothing special and has nothing to do with anything later on, what makes or breaks this scene is the masterful usage of facial expressions, which requires artistic precision and control. The transitions from happy playfulness to utter shock to sudden horrible realization is haunting. Even better are Lust's facial expressions showing how much "pleasure" she's taking in subjecting both Marcoh and this mistakenly involved young girl to this torture. Every time you see her she has this playful, yet incredibly cruel smile on her face unless she's demanding something with absolute seriousness. She makes you, the reader, know she's not to be fucked with regardless of how many positions you can think of har har.

I had always thought that each chapter had approximately 1/2-3/4 of an episode worth of material varying from chapter to chapter since some have significantly more dialogue than others while some are significantly action based but the production seems to be using 2-3 chapters per episode while ripping the plot to the bone and harvesting the raw marrow and for that I have to admit, it's got the best damn pacing of any anime series I can think.

Last edited by TitanAura; 03-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2010

Blurb: Really, Hamlet, try the prozac.

Personally, I liked the first series as much as, and a bit more, than brotherhood. People are entitled to their opinions. Or do you people forget that in your 'OMG IT SUX 4EVA I AM RITE U R RONG!' rants?

I think both series have characters of equal strength and depth. Other than 'filler' villains almost everyone has a complex motive and personality. Not everyone, but lots of them.

The thing I love best about FMA is if you skip an episode you will actually miss something. Some shows you can skip an entire arc and still understand it, but FMA is more like a continuous story that isn't meant to be picked up and looked at half-assedly. It's an entire story and world of it's own with a continually moving plot. (Except some filler, but, well.... all shows have that.)
Old 03-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWaterWood View Post
(Except some filler, but, well.... all shows have that.)
That would be the minimum shittiness quota. FMA:B just barely squeaks by.
Old 03-23-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

I have to say 99% of what Titan says is so on mark, both shows have limits and problems, but both have good points and only thing really dissent on is final judgment, to me the problems less in Anime than Brotherhood,
Old 03-25-2010

Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg

There's so much stuff to read in here so I'm just gonna say.....

Marcoh PWNS Envy = WIN
Mustang Vs Envy = WIN-er

Also, 1st Anime needed more Xing
Old 03-26-2010
Closet Trekkie

Before he became greed he was kind of an annoying spaz
after he became greed he became badas, and thus awesome.

FMA:B philosophy: Greed makes people awesome.

*nods*
Old 03-26-2010

TRUFACT
Old 03-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
FMA:B philosophy: Greed makes people awesome.

*nods*

Nintendo's been saying that for years.
Old 03-28-2010

Blurb: Finally at rest, the loving king

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PcjYfE4M_I

FMA AMV which I think is pretty incredible

Also I started watching Brotherhood and am really liking it so far. It's progressing a bit quicker than I would have liked but it's still really well done.
Old 03-30-2010

I have been watching FMA Brotherhood and it is indeed far better than the original anime i must say. I kinda like how they've done Alphonse in this one (Not as faggy as in the original anime) No one complain at me about it being based on the manga, i know i just haven't read it XD I'm up to date with the episodes and i seriously can't wait to see what happens next. ^^
Old 04-01-2010

Blurb: This blurb allows me to defy the page's symmetry. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I personally like both of the animes about the same, although I think that FMA: Brotherhood kinda rushed over some of the events that happen in the first eight or so episodes, where they cover the same events as they did in the first anime. In the original anime, everything seemed a bit more poignant, you got to know the characters a bit more first, and then you felt bad for them when bad stuff happened. In FMA: B... not so much.
My only qualm with FMA:B is Al's (dubbed version) voice. When I watched the first episode I thought "What the hell happened to Al's voice?" I just can't get over it, it just doesn't sound right.
But besides that, I absolutely love Fullmetal Alchemist. I was addicted after the first episode, and I can only hope that they continue for many more episodes to come!
Old 05-21-2010

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nd-in-2-months

Noooo! I was just getting into it!
Old 05-21-2010

Gotta love FMA Brotherhood, it's amazing. Though, I liked the first anime very much too, but I think I like the secong one better. Aaaanyways, I love Fullmetal Alchemist very much :3
Old 05-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbhtg View Post
I KNEW IT! This is brilliant marketing and production planning to end both at almost the exact same time because it's like receiving a double dose of the explosive finale. Arakawa won't be getting much sleep for quite a while.
Old 05-29-2010

Blurb: ?????

I love it to death! I'm a huge fan of the manga, so when I heard they were making a faithful adaption, I was super excited. And so far, they have not let me down.
I love that the animation actually looks like Arakawa's art, instead of just every other run-of-the-mill shounen anime. And of course, seeing the awesome characters who didn't make it into the first series finally get animated filled me with fangirl-y joy. :3
Old 05-29-2010

Blurb: Screw the rules I live in America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magelet View Post
I love it to death! I'm a huge fan of the manga, so when I heard they were making a faithful adaption, I was super excited. And so far, they have not let me down.
This I have to agree.

I found it interesting that Brotherhood was light and comedic compared to the first FMA series being dark and tragic.

Greedling ftw...Pride needs a good butt kicking for what he did to Gluttony.