This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2011
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
Default Celebrity medicine

For those that don't know Conrad Murray is the Doctor that was caring for as well as with Michael Jackson when he died. Dr. Murray is currently on trial for giving Michael Jackson the medication that would lead to his death.

Michael isn't the only celebrity to lose his life over poor medical practices. Anna Nicole Smith and Heath Ledger also lost their lives do to medicinal mishaps.

IMHO, doctors have a duty to monitor their patients to make sure that tragedies like MJ, Anna Nicole, and Heath don't occur.

If found guilty, Conrad Murray would most likely lose his medical licence, face some fines, but no jail time would be issued. Are these consequences too light? What would be a more fitting punishment to doctors that fail to do their job, and fail to maintain the proper health of their patients?

discuss.
Old 10-04-2011

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

If threats of legal action are too severe, hospitals would then need more lawyers, which would then drive the cost of insurance and medical care through the roof, which would then be passed onto the consumers.

Doctors should be given more of a right to countersue against false accusations so that only the most severe cases come forth.
Old 10-04-2011
Closet Trekkie

A case that results in a patient's DEATH is a pretty severe case.IMHO

Once the criminal proceedings are concluded, and IF the doctor is found not guilty of anything criminal, then the doctor may sue for defamation and whatever else was falsely said to hurt his career and work as a doctor.

Essentially, this is Malpractice. Some doctors pay insurance premiums which cover settlements in cases just like this. In situations where the Doctor was OBVIOUSLY negligent or not doing his job correctly.

What happened with Michael is, he was given medication, and his doctor, instead of monitoring his condition on the medication, left the room, was distracted by other things, eventually dying as a result of the medication he was taking. When Dr. Murray returned, to Michael Jackson's bedside, Michael was dead, if not close to death. Upon realizing his patient was dead, Conrad Murray panicked, called for emergency services, and improperly performed CPR on his client in futile attempts of reviving him.
Old 10-04-2011
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

I hate to belittle the situation, but things like this happen all the time. I haven't read up on this story,but it seems to me the only reason this particular doctor is facing charges is because of who he was treating. The real problem is that doctors are overworked and hospitals are understaffed. I don't think you can call this doctor "obviously negligent" if what he was distracted by was other patients. Micheal Jackson did not deserve better treatment than anyone else and time monitoring Micheal's condition was time away from someone else who may have needed it more. Sure, you could argue there should have been a nurse on duty, but if that's the case the solution should be to hire more nurses, not sue the hospital and rob other patients of hospital resources.

Once again, I am not familiar with is particular case. If it turns out Dr. Murray left for a game of golf, then I will revise my opinion, but from what I gathered from the information you provided I see no fault with the doctor.
Old 10-04-2011
Closet Trekkie

Doctors get sued all the time for malpractice. The only reason Dr. Murray's legal case is getting attention is because of who he was treating.

the medication that lead to the death of Michael Jackson was only supposed to be given under hospital conditions where patients can be watched in case something goes wrong, NOT in someone's home where there are no alarms and to indicate the patient is in distress.

here is some info from PDR.net regarding the drug.

http://www.pdr.net/drugpages/concise...x?concise=1564

here is some more info on the drug.

http://www.bing.com/health/article/g...DA#description

if proper monitoring equipment is unavailable, as in the case with Michael, a Doctor administering this drug, is required to be standing over the patient watching his condition, not in the next room, not on the phone, simply because of what this drug does to the body.

Last edited by GcarOatmealRaisinCookies; 10-04-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: error in links
Old 10-04-2011

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

these things happen a lot, people do make mistakes, even people like doctors
we're not robots, its only getting attention because celebrity's are important
if I was killed by a mistake like that, it might make the news...might
Old 10-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
A case that results in a patient's DEATH is a pretty severe case.IMHO
Here's the issue, Miss.

LOTS of people die in hospitals. Hospitals are where you go to die, and if you're lucky, you won't. Doctors aren't miracle-workers, and even the best doctors will make a few stupid decisions in their career. It happens. It's not something that can be solved by suing the doctor or the hospital. All that does is make their jobs harder, thus leading to more deaths. This process is extremely counterproductive.
Old 10-04-2011
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post
Here's the issue, Miss.

LOTS of people die in hospitals. Hospitals are where you go to die, and if you're lucky, you won't. Doctors aren't miracle-workers, and even the best doctors will make a few stupid decisions in their career. It happens. It's not something that can be solved by suing the doctor or the hospital. All that does is make their jobs harder, thus leading to more deaths. This process is extremely counterproductive.
actually, Nursing homes are where you go to die.
I know I've spent my life around nursing homes, because my mother worked in on for about 25 years. Lots of death and people dying there.

on a side note, here's an article on the Michael Jackson Death trial from CNN Justice for those who would like to read it.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-03/j...?_s=PM:JUSTICE
Old 10-04-2011

...You fail to see the point completely.

A hospital isn't a place where healthy people go. A hospital is where sick people go. That's the point of a hospital. Doctors work outrageous hours and put in a lot of effort, and are bound to slip up at one point or another. It's normal for stuff like this to happen. As people have said, literally the only reason it's been played up to this extent is because it's MJ who died.
Old 10-04-2011
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

But MJ didn't die in a hospital. He died in his own home, didn't he?

I think the point is that Dr. Murray gave MJ a prescription that was not supposed to be prescribed outside of a hospital, yet in this situation it was.

Today they also mentioned that they found none of MJ's fingerprints on the vile that carried the drug, meaning that perhaps he took none of the medicine at his own will.

Perhaps this does happen all the time. But that doesn't mean that it's right if the doctor knew that it was against protocol.

I do think that stripping him from his doctor's licence is enough punishment for someone who went through years and years of medical school, though. If he no longer has a medical licence, then he can no longer illegally prescribe drugs to patients, therefore, he is no longer a danger to society.
Old 10-05-2011
Closet Trekkie

the timeline is kind of screwed up, but essentially, MJ was DOA ( dead on arrival) before arriving at the hospital.
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
But MJ didn't die in a hospital. He died in his own home, didn't he?

I think the point is that Dr. Murray gave MJ a prescription that was not supposed to be prescribed outside of a hospital, yet in this situation it was.

Today they also mentioned that they found none of MJ's fingerprints on the vile that carried the drug, meaning that perhaps he took none of the medicine at his own will.

Perhaps this does happen all the time. But that doesn't mean that it's right if the doctor knew that it was against protocol.

I do think that stripping him from his doctor's licence is enough punishment for someone who went through years and years of medical school, though. If he no longer has a medical licence, then he can no longer illegally prescribe drugs to patients, therefore, he is no longer a danger to society.
You haven't produced a smoking gun, though.

Could MJ have demanded that drug be given to him? Someone with enough fame can hold a lot of sway. If he knew it was against protocol, why exactly would he do it? I haven't heard an explanation for this without instantly deciding on his guilt.

Besides that, the fingerprints thing is even more questionable, because while they said they didn't find his, did they find anyone else's? And what of partial prints that can't be identified, or gloves? You're not giving exacts, and only seem to be bringing up the information in a way that makes him seem guilty without asking the important questions which actually would make him appear guilty instead of just questionable.
Old 10-05-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

=First-generally both holy and killshot have very valid points (I saw holys as read this offline)

=Secondly-Sueing here achieves nothing, bar worse medical care for higher prices. It will not be this doctor whom pays, but the medical association he works under; thus the only reason to sue here, is for money and when we look whom is suing, we know that why too. My grandfather died to ill-care, which didn't sue because that ill-care came from lack of funds and correct me if I am wrong, but suing the hospital is not going to get them more funds or bring my grandfather back.

=Third and final point=He was not killed by this doctor, he was killed by those around him, trying to force him to do things he was no longer capable of. If want to blame anyone, blame his family for fecking him up, his manager and staff for not having his interests at heart and Jackson himself for having no numerical or practical understanding of the world, thereby leaving himself completely open to such abuse.
Old 10-05-2011

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

Quote:
=Third and final point=He was not killed by this doctor, he was killed by those around him, trying to force him to do things he was no longer capable of. If want to blame anyone, blame his family for fecking him up, his manager and staff for not having his interests at heart and Jackson himself for having no numerical or practical understanding of the world, thereby leaving himself completely open to such abuse.
Actually Fared, from what I can see it looks like the doctor fucked up pretty well too. Maybe you could blame his family and agents and stuff for his needing drugs to help him to sleep, but you do NOT fuck around with medicines. All drugs are just poisons that you can put in someone that, within a therepeutic window, can benfit them. I'm only halfway through first year, but from what I can see from GCar's monograph, Propranolol does NOT look like a drug you should prescribe to help people sleep. It's basic effect in the body looks like decreasing the heart rate and cardiac output. That means your blood will move around your body slower. That means your tissues won't get the stuff they need at the rate they'd probably like to. Decreasing your blood pressure is not a good thing. It's got some pretty nasty side effects too. To prescribe a drug with side effects like that to help someone sleep is just moronic.
Old 10-05-2011

Actually, after having a read of that journal article I think Gcar may have linked to the wrong drug. I think MJ was taking Propofol, not Propanolol like she linked to. Either way, Propofol reacts with sedatives to boost its own effect, so the doctor shouldn't have been moronic to give it to him at the same time as sleeping pills

Even if his doctor were to for some reason think the benefit of the drug was worth all of those lovely interactions, here's the list of what he should have monitored the patient for:

Quote:
Monitor for anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, hypotension and/or cardiovascular depression, apnea, airway obstruction and/or oxygen desaturation, decrease in cerebral perfusion pressure, hyperventilation/hypocarbia, signs/symptoms of Propofol Infusion Syndrome (eg, severe metabolic acidosis, hyperkalemia. lipemia, rhabdomyolysis, hepatomegaly, cardiac and renal failure), postoperative unconsciousness with increased muscle tone, pulmonary edema, increased vagal tone, and pancreatitis
Rally, no matter which way you cut it his doctor was a moron for giving MJ some fairly dangerous drugs that he really didn't need, then not monitoring him. If he really absolutely positively NEEDED to take that drug, he should have taken him to a hospital. I'm tempted to say MJ was a moron for letting him give them to him, but it's not his fault I guess. If a doctor tells you this drug'll do you some good, you generally believe them.

Last edited by Fenrir502; 10-05-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2011
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir502 View Post
Actually, after having a read of that journal article I think Gcar may have linked to the wrong drug. I think MJ was taking Propofol, not Propanolol like she linked to. Either way, Propofol reacts with sedatives to boost its own effect, so the doctor shouldn't have been moronic to give it to him at the same time as sleeping pills
thanks fenrir, so many drugs so many with similar spelling,

Propofol

http://www.bing.com/health/article/g...ion?q=propofol

and from PDR.net

http://www.pdr.net/drugpages/concise...px?concise=118
Old 10-05-2011
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Actually Fared, from what I can see it looks like the doctor fucked up pretty well too. Maybe you could blame his family and agents and stuff for his needing drugs to help him to sleep, but you do NOT fuck around with medicines. All drugs are just poisons that you can put in someone that, within a therepeutic window, can benfit them. I'm only halfway through first year, but from what I can see from GCar's monograph, Propranolol does NOT look like a drug you should prescribe to help people sleep. It's basic effect in the body looks like decreasing the heart rate and cardiac output. That means your blood will move around your body slower. That means your tissues won't get the stuff they need at the rate they'd probably like to. Decreasing your blood pressure is not a good thing. It's got some pretty nasty side effects too. To prescribe a drug with side effects like that to help someone sleep is just moronic.
=First of all...as someone who is a brother of a nurse on a drug ward and whom has worked on drug/medical related caselaw, I can say, drug protcals are fecked up and economically driven bull...I know cases where people have been left screaming for painkillers in hospital wards, but not given them, just because the ward they are on, is under different regulation guidelines. It probably has the same staff with same training and patients, but different red tape. So don't take those guidelines as gosbal, they will have been written by a management-level burocrat with no medical training, who is more interested in balancing books and outspend than he is medical safety.

=Secondly...you are correct, I did not explain myself well, but my point is this. I suspect that doctor was not flippantly throwing drugs around like they were candy and did that after a lot of pressure from the forenamed groups. Maybe this doctor was weak and made a mistake and note, he does not have get out of jail card free...his career and by association, life is over.
=However moral blame needs to given to those who really should have had Jacksons', not their banks, interests at heart. The fact they are still trying to make money out of him, even once he is dead, shows just how little they really cared.
=Maybe you think I am too soft on the doctor, but I am with holy, he has been punished enough, now look at those other parties who hide behind him.
Old 10-05-2011

I'm sorry Fared. I think I read your point wrong was all. I thought you were saying the doctor didn't do anything wrong at all, but I think I was wrong about that. I agree that losing his medical liscence is enough. The court's job should not be to punish people but to prevent them from hurting others, in my opinion. Of course, law ain't my forte so there're probably a bunch of arguments against that, but that's just my view.
Old 10-05-2011
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
I'm sorry Fared. I think I read your point wrong was all. I thought you were saying the doctor didn't do anything wrong at all, but I think I was wrong about that. I agree that losing his medical liscence is enough. The court's job should not be to punish people but to prevent them from hurting others, in my opinion. Of course, law ain't my forte so there're probably a bunch of arguments against that, but that's just my view.
Not your fault at all, was mine for poorly explaining myself. I agree the doctor did wrong, but I think saying this doctor killed jackson, is like saying the Arch Duke of Austria-Hungry started WW1, if makes sense. 0o
-The doctor was stupid and weak, but others was insidious.

PS Also I think you are correct on the courts job.
Old 10-11-2011
Closet Trekkie

The defense in this case is trying to say Michael injected himself with the lethal dose of Proprofol that killed him.

For some reason, that concept, brings back flashbacks of Kurt Cobain's death.

Different drug, but pretty much the same dang scenario.
Old 10-13-2011

...Okay, so, what's the motive? The doctor was being given lots of money to take care of him, presumably. Why would he want to kill him?
Old 11-07-2011
Closet Trekkie

Verdict in, Conrad Murray Guilty of involuntary Manslaughter of Michael Jackson.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...l-jackson.html
Old 02-26-2012

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan

dr conrad murray was also supposedly responsible for singer james brown's death, that was surrounded by suspicious circumstances too
I strongly doubt that Michael could have injected propofol himself, especially considering the fact he was already under the influence of demerol for sleep (which is normally reserved for pain relief in labour) and lorazepam which in high doses is very sedating but mixed with a substance as strong as propofol and demerol combined can cause heart failure which is what happened to michael

Elvis died on the toilet from a combination prescription medication

Whitney houston is the latest casualty, the media are trying to portray that it was too many antidepressants but I have taken high amounts in the past of AntiDs and been fine, it would most likely be related to her cocaine addiction :(
sad though
Old 02-26-2012

wow I forgot how much animosity there is on this forum
Old 02-27-2012

Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru

More like you responded to several threads which have all been dead for over 2 months.
Old 02-27-2012

why do get members on this forum get so irate about that? no other forum I am on cares if you revive an old thread, its rather well rude
Old 02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
why do get members on this forum get so irate about that? no other forum I am on cares if you revive an old thread, its rather well rude
I think you just summarized why with the bolded sentence fragment, actually.

i.e., some people consider it obnoxious to revive something that nobody cared enough to post about.

Not that it really matters either way.
Old 02-27-2012

Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
Every single forum I have ever been on either has rules against this or the member just outright hate it. This also includes sites such as GameFAQs and the sort.

Last edited by Jotenks; 02-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2012
Closet Trekkie

Quote:
6) Do not post in unsticked threads that have not been used in over 3 months, unless there is a current, relevant reason to do so. (Example: It's okay to post something relevant in thread for an upcoming convention even if that thread hasn't been used in a while.)
Let's talking about Celebrity Medicine regarding something semi current.
Who the hell was handling Whitney's Medical care, and who the hell decided that she should be wandering around with a Pharmacy full of Pills in tow?
Old 02-27-2012

Wasn't it discovered that it was actually cocaine or whatever her drug addiction was that killed her?

I keep hearing that today, that there was a news story somewhere about that.