This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2012
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
Default activity

whether it is a glitch or something screwy with the server, I don't know, but for some reason I was able to see the Mods only section of the forum. (I even got to post there, which I quickly deleted, because it felt very weird posting there when I'm only a user and don't want anything to do with Modship or the headaches involved with it.)

Anyways, this post and thread there started by Zairak got me thinking about getting some user input, besides mod input.

Quote:
I've been perusing the threads in here and have yet to see one addressing this particular issue.

That is, forum activity has been somewhat... lacking lately. A handful of people still discuss the actual series. A fairly close-knit group of users still hang out in the BAR, though even that's not as lively as it was before. Some of said group of users still post in the forum game section, but barely enough to allow the major games to run. Further, these two groups, the ones who discuss the series and the ones who hang out in Off-Topic and Forum Games, seem to have very little overlap. So, even what community does remain is splintered. A new user might join now and then, but they tend to post less than 10 times before losing interest and leaving.

It's obvious that LittleKuriboh's show is still being followed enough for new users to register, they just aren't staying. It seems logical, then, that the issue is a lack of a real reason for new users to stay here. For that matter, several of the forum's old regulars have left too, presumably because of said lack of a reason to stay. Most users I've talked to recently have expressed boredom regarding the forum.

It further seems that it could be argued that the administration and moderation of the site should discuss things that could be done to resolve this issue. That is to say, maybe we could try organizing events and otherwise finding way to generate content attractive enough to users to convince them to stay?

Any ideas?
What ideas do the USERS have about bringing the separate cliques that run around the YGOTAS section, the Forum games section, and the Off topic/ Bar section together?

Post them here.
Old 11-12-2012
Sex-Administrator

Blurb: This is a Blurb

Well since its near death I have actually been going to the bar more often and it is entering a recovery stage. Some of the activity issues right now may be coming from the damage caused by Sandy, and it has been midterms for many people, making them less active than usual. The site is recovering, I was quite pleased with how many threads have been active the past few hours.

I think we have all wanted to address this issue though, I kind of wanted to call it operation REBIRTH but didnt because I couldnt think of a good acronym for it.

Now, the primary issue I would say for a lack of incentive perhaps may be the death of the forum game section. We should focus our efforts on reviving the games as best as possable.

Secondly, we could try to push old members back here. Even if they say the site has gotten too dull for them we need to emphasise how a collective return can stop the site from being dull.

It has been dying for a good while now, and yes now than ever before it is on the verge of going.

As for events... maybe we should try and bring back the caption contests of yore. it is a small thing but an effective thing none-the-less.

We could also start up gaming tournaments. But ultimately what we need is a way to promote the site. We cannot rely on LK to tell the people weekly to go visit the site, he has little interest here anymore. He has put text at the end of videos to say go visit, but people ignore text more than a direct video invite, like what happened with the n00b tsunami.

Perhaps we can set up a seperate youtube channel, promoted on LKs channel as a related channel, with a regular vlog by a high-standing memer of the community saying what is on this week and such. We can also use it as a video archive for legendary videos like underlings dix'roll and such.

Theres a few ideas. Make of it as you wish.
Old 11-12-2012
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Pushing old members back is not a good way of dealing with forum death, it's not enabling the forum to move forward - only harking back to past glory days...

To which some would argue that the glory days of the forum were the first year or so of its life, back in early 2007
Old 11-12-2012
Sex-Administrator

Its not about moving forward or moving backward, in my eyes it isnt reliving the glory days, but bringing life back. Its a method, and may still work. I dont care who it is or why, we just need site activity as the priority.

Also, we need to stop chasing people away. We dont seem very welcoming of too many newcomers. Even if yamichan, rena or hell even marikkuriboh comes back I personally think give them a second chance to redeem themselves, and if they become way too annoying to too many people then yes ban them again. I ust dont like how we instantly assume some newcomers are old trolls (even if they do fairly often turn out right)
Old 11-12-2012
Waiting for Tweek to come and play

Blurb: GLF
Cobra4
Send a message via MSN to l3o2828

I believe the forums was still great around 2009. It started dying on 2010, with the whole change of layout.
Old 11-12-2012
Sex-Administrator

Actually the layout changed in late 2008 believe it or not. The first year felt like an eternity. The tsunami happened due to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4hi0WVZ-EI&feature=plcp which is, as you see, early 2010.

Which is why many of us have always said the site fell into decline after that, ironically begging for another wave to bring in new people. The first wave we were hostile to and took away many of the older members interest in the site. The site remained a shahow of its former self since then. I think because we would welcome a second wave we would lose less and only gain more.
Old 11-12-2012
Closet Trekkie

I'll be honest, I never had dealings with YamiChan, I never met her or even saw any posts out of an unbanned acct of hers, with the exception of Blueberry, but it was gone before too much chaos could be caused.

I did have dealings with MarikKuriboh.
He was a rude little bastard that refused to listen when people tried help him or be nice to him. I tried twice to be nice to the little asshole and got burned by him on it.
other than that, I really didn't care if he was on the site, I don't even care if his acct is unbanned. Dude requested it himself, because he was fed up with being attacked in the BAR by Rebbie and Xanadu/Princess Molestia, which I can understand. The guy has been creating Multiple Accts to try to get back on here, because I think he wants to come back, but he can't overcome the reputation he had with his old acct, and if when one of his new accts pops up in the BAR it get ripped to shreds by Princess Molestia and Rebbie, He gets pissed off attacks back and the whole thing winds up a miserable mess and MarikKuriboh's new acct is banned all over again.
I say dude wants to come back, let him come back, he's an ass but asses can be ignored, we have an ignore list feature on this site, use it. I do, it saves me a ton of headache and unwanted attacks.

Last edited by GcarOatmealRaisinCookies; 11-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

I have always liked the idea of the BAR a lot, but whenever I'm there, there aren't enough other people posting, so I get pulled into other tabs I have open. Also, my free time is rather segmented, and I feel weird entering the BAR if I know I'm just going to leave in like 3 minutes.

Is face really going to start advertising for the site? Zairak's contest thread post seemed to say so. And if we do start advertising does anyone think it'd be effective?
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
I have always liked the idea of the BAR a lot, but whenever I'm there, there aren't enough other people posting, so I get pulled into other tabs I have open. Also, my free time is rather segmented, and I feel weird entering the BAR if I know I'm just going to leave in like 3 minutes.

Is face really going to start advertising for the site? Zairak's contest thread post seemed to say so. And if we do start advertising does anyone think it'd be effective?
To clarify, the advertisement contest pertains to 'fake' or 'joke' advertisements, a la the Yugios ad near the top of the forum, not actual advertisements. Any advertisements deemed of high enough quality by Face would be put into the same slot the Yugios ad is in, most likely rotating every month or so.
Old 11-12-2012
Sex-Administrator

Ive done an on-mass facebook message to previous ygotas members to see if they are willing to try to come back. Lets see how this goes.
Old 11-12-2012
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zairak View Post
To clarify, the advertisement contest pertains to 'fake' or 'joke' advertisements, a la the Yugios ad near the top of the forum, not actual advertisements. Any advertisements deemed of high enough quality by Face would be put into the same slot the Yugios ad is in, most likely rotating every month or so.
Okay, yeah. That makes more sense =)

And it is true that loads of people who were regularly active when I first joined aren't ever around anymore. I guess I hadn't really thought about it that much.
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
Okay, yeah. That makes more sense =)

And it is true that loads of people who were regularly active when I first joined aren't ever around anymore. I guess I hadn't really thought about it that much.
Though, advertisements might be an idea. Even if it would seem more appropriate to make something to do here before worrying about bringing in more people, of course.
Old 11-12-2012
Draw all the things!

Location: The wind under my wings has carried me to where the sun sails and the moon walks
Blurb: Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy
Send a message via MSN to kudos

I think this is true. I joined the forum in 2009, and it has slowly become less active since then. I know part of my own slowness of participation comes from the fact that I am working and going to school, a schedule which leaves only rare hours for spending time on the internet.

Maybe the slowing down of the forum is a result of its members growing up and getting busier?

Regardless, I agree that it's an issue. People still love LK's series, but some forum members act like this website is not for fans of the show. If new members want to talk about LK all the time, that's natural, and we shouldn't scare them off by saying that none of us care.
Old 11-12-2012

We really need to stop acting like this place is the IRC where you don't, under any circumstances, talk about yugioh, or YGOTAS... I'm as guilty of it as the next person.

This place is for the fans, I just don't get why it's being written off by LK so much
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornZombie View Post
What a heartless bastard that LK is, posting links to his site instead of his YouTube account lately. Totally forgotten about us.
Alright, he hasn't forgotten about us completely... but it's not the same level as it was
Old 11-12-2012
Closet Trekkie

I kind of think things are too uptight around here.
I mean if a guy's an asshole, it's understandable to treat him like an asshole.
But whatever happened to being laid back and having a sense of humor around these parts.
This place is devoted to fans of a COMEDY series, isn't it?
Old 11-12-2012

Cobra4

How exactly are things too uptight?
Old 11-12-2012
Sex-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boku no l3o View Post
How exactly are things too uptight?
If someone new comes along we act a bit hostile towards them, trying to stop their constant quoting. It kind of puts them off the site. Thats it in short.
Old 11-12-2012
Closet Trekkie

IMHO, people around here are tightly knit into their happy little routines, when someone new comes in that has an issue fitting into that routine, that new person gets jumped on and attacked.

Unless the person is a Dick that doesn't listen to reason and learn from what the vets are telling them, Like with MarikKuriboh, there should be no reason to be harsh with new people trying to fit in and make this site work.
Old 11-12-2012

Cobra4

I have never attacked a new person. But maybe it is true that some act a little hostile.
Old 11-12-2012

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

I don't consider calling a noob alert hostile. This is the internet & if someone can't handle it, especially following an exceptionally snarky video series, then there is something wrong with them.
Old 11-12-2012
Closet Trekkie

noob alert doesn't strike me as too bothersome. When I was a noob if someone said it around me, I'd have been confused, but laughed it off.

What I'm talking about is stuff like Spamming ducks on someone's VMs or convos like these.
http://forum.yugiohtheabridgedseries...u=357&u2=32319
http://forum.yugiohtheabridgedseries...32319&u2=19128
http://forum.yugiohtheabridgedseries...u=357&u2=31441

Granted it's a MarikKuriboh, but dude probably never would have gone nuclear if Rebbie hadn't provoked him, it's probably why he stayed insane around here, for the most part.
If we had ignored him he probably would have gotten bored and went away or figured out how things work around here on his own.
Old 01-04-2013

Blurb: The internets favourite Scotsman

Hello, i'm an old user who hasn't been on in nearly 2 years but came on to do a bit of catch up.

Before I left in 2011, There was a significant decline in the activity of the forum game section. This was my favourite section of the forum where there was a core of users who spammed it to see who could get the highest post count.

It was great fun and kept me coming back regularly, also I was still interested in the series at the time.

After leaving school and moving onto college, and then uni, I lost interest and since there was a lack of activity in the forum games, there was no reason for me to stay. Additionally, a number of regulars I would chat with left as well, I felt that without my online friends, a lot of the charm of the site had disappeared.

It is sad to hear that there has been a dip in forum activity. I may stick around for a bit to see what happens form here.
Old 01-04-2013
Sex-Administrator

Well do what you can in rebuilding the forum is what I say.

And we really really need to get the forum games back up and running. Had a few rounds of death note up and running but it stopped again and only a few have signed up to mafia.
Old 01-04-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3o2828 View Post
I believe the forums was still great around 2009. It started dying on 2010, with the whole change of layout.
While I still have no idea why people hate it this has been the sited as the being of the end by many and was a time which saw many leave.

I think the new layout is not solely to blame however, I would put that into three already citied areas:

1=Reception of incomers=This site is not as bad as many, but there was a sense of elitism around it in which many of the old guard disliked the new users out of hand or saw any who posted in a way they disliked as wrong. Now somethings incomers were trolls, but often, as with Rena, they were just different and people need to learn...different does not equal bad. People also need to realise just because they have their own ideas on what is the 'right' way to act does not mean others have to be like them, if something is not breaking the rules leave them alone. Get over yourself.

2=Age=Many of the original cast grew up, heck I am 23 in just over a month and I work for the government now...,yet I joined this site when I had just turned 18 and I was still in 6th form, that means I have been here almost 5 years, that is quite a commitment, but the fact is we have grown old, very old and we lack the time when we are older to mess with internet sites as much as when we were younger. I guess this means if the site is to live on it needs to have some young blood in the administration and needs to engage with the new generation more.

3=Which leds onto problem three; there is still even now the problem of bureoacratic nonsense in this site. Those who have influence are basically Face and his friends, now do not get me wrong, I have nothing against face and unlike Holyshadow, I am not asking for a democracy here, heck if we had democracy I would have been made a mod and no one wants that, even post-yamichan. All I am saying is that the fact etern got made a mob years before Zariak was even considered is a serious problem. We need some varity in our mobs right now. So far all we have is 'white, mostly Christian, middle America, male yanks' and Sally who is basically all the aforementioned only slightly more manly. That is problematic. And before anyone says what about Masty, he does not count, since when did he ever do anything Mod like?

4=A change of mentality that came with the new site=As I said, I do not really understand why, but something was in many users eyes lost when we moved to this new site and for that reason the user base seemed less engaged. On the old site people would spend hours at a time debating over what to do in a DN match, now they barely watch the thread...I do not know how the changeover did it, but somehow it did kill something special that mundane users like myself do not understand.

My proposals:

1=Be friendly. (God, that is so stupidly obvious that is must need stating.)

2=Those who know LK lobby him to give us some advisement, heck promise him we may even start donating. We won't, but he does not know that. >>

3=Get some younger and more diverse members to have mob powers.

4=Give the site itself a make over? Is there any way to make it feel more welcoming and new generic?

5=We need to start local. Everyone needs to concentrate on getting the Bar back to life, that means just fun conversations in there, but we can more ambitious, we have to have some competitions in there, see get LK to give shout outs to the person who posts the most at end of of one of his videos or something. Get it so that if members get friend to join who makes over 100 posts get an e-mail of thanks from Kroze or something...etc.
Old 01-04-2013
Sex-Administrator

We have all agreed to work on 1 fared, and I did try to contact some of the old members I have on facebook who have left/been inactive for a while with limited success, though I think it would be best if someone else did it.

Personally, the change in layout helped me, I was just holed up in my little corner until the change happened. It was the beginning of the end for the site, but I more link the beginning of the end to the n00b tsunami of... feburary 2010 I think after LK promoted the site in a video he made. It gave us some new members like kipper but lost us many old ones. Both of these events though dealt heavy blows to the mods and admin count. By the end the only admin left was Face.

Really, I have seen a fair few old members returning as of late, but only briefly to visit the site or tie up loose ends. If this site is to be resurrected for real, it needs to be a collective effort and everyone needs to play their part. That includes those on the bar who dont always play forum games to play a few forum games.

A dead site repells new users, creating a cycle of decay. So guys, collective effort or nothing.

Hell, I could make a group for people to join who agree to help keep the site as active as possable if everyone wants.
Old 01-04-2013
Chumba Wumba

Well if we each invited one friend that would double our number.

I have started a page especially for highlighting and welcoming new members.

I remember the n00b tsunami, but to be honest, I cannot remember anyone bad joining from it, so I think any problems that caused could be blamed on the old guard again being overly defensive.
Old 01-04-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Well, I invited Zairak. Does that count?
Old 01-04-2013
Chumba Wumba

That is your community service done by records. You are now an official citizen of Abridgrida.

All whom bring in immg...I mean new mea...I mean new users will be made official citizens.
Old 01-05-2013

Blurb: The internets favourite Scotsman

I'll be honest and say that my interest for the series is gone and it won't be coming back any time soon, in fact, I haven't even seen an episode in 2 years!

A lot has happened over the years and, like most of the old gang, I have simply grown out of it. I have since gotten into uni and I'm currently learning to drive. It is amazing to think I made this account when I was 15 and I am now 20! When I was active, I thought that anyone over 17 was old but I now feel a bit like that myself.

However, after logging in and posting for the the first time in years, I am saddened to hear and see the severe lack of activity of this forum. I will come online more frequently for a while to inject some life back into the forum game section but it is not fun waiting hours for a reply.

I do not know how long I will contribute for, over the years I have been active for a while before disappearing and it will probably happen again. Until then, you can rely on me to provide some much needed spam to the forum.