This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions

Old 06-21-2013

Blurb: LONG LIVE THE PHARAOH~!
Default Why "O.M.G."?

Not talking about God's existence, nonexistence, or other religions such as Atheism and Buddhism's credibility, but a simple topic. I'm here to ask your opinions about something I was thinking about as I watched Episode 59 of YGOTAS.

Why do people say the phrase, "Oh my God!" and what does it mean when they say it?

You see, Christians refrain from saying it because of the 4th commandment in the Bible in Exodus in the Ten Commandments, saying that we should not use God's name in vain.

Yet Atheists really don't make any sense in saying it either because they don't believe in God. xD

Aaand yet Atheists say it all the time. What are your thoughts on this? ;D
Old 06-21-2013

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

To me it's just an expression. I'm a Christian and I say it sometimes and don't think much of it. I mean you could probably substitute the word "God" with the deity of any religion and it would still mean the same thing. It's probably meant to be with a lowercase 'g' though.
Old 06-21-2013

Blurb: When Jefferson Starships Attack!

I'm spiritual, and I say Oh My God... I seriously have no Idea. I've thought about it before and It still doesn't make sense XD But saying "Oh my Spirits" Would sound kinda weird wouldn't it... maybe cause it's just you're way of reacting to something surprising..
Old 06-21-2013

Speaking for the general population, this is a simple cultural phenomenon. Just as 'dude' and 'gay' and other such words come to be used in different ways than originally intended, so too do phrases such as 'Oh my God'. I feel it's safe to say that the phrase as it is used on the internet is generally one of surprise, whether sarcastic or as an honest expression.

On a heavily related note, it is important that 'Oh my God' is so easily shortened to text speak. This has facilitated its spread through various chat clients until the present day, when it is now a stock phrase for, again, surprise, whether sarcastic or literal. It may be that it lacks religious significance to most people for this very reason. It's very simple for acronyms themselves to be disassociated from their original meanings, and when phrases are used several times a day, as happens now with 'omg', the word or phrase becomes much more casual. It simply can't help but do so by its repetition. It loses power and its original relevance.

That being said, it likely has a fairly wide range of variance in definition for individual people, and outside the general meaning I mentioned earlier, 'surprise', it's pointless to try to categorize a certain group of people's use of the word. It's become far too casual of a phrase to be anything but highly individualized and, therefore, not specifically definable.

I might add that this is similar to some people's treatment of the word 'religion', but I don't care to delve into that specific topic outside this snippet.

Last edited by Zairak; 06-21-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2013
Baby Panda

Blurb: Firmly grasp it in your hand

Here are my opinions: The phrase is said when something weird or amazing happens, so the person speaking is say "Oh my god" as a way saying " God, you've done something strange or amazing etc....". Of course it is used by each person differently but all in all I see it that way. Also, I honestly don't think it is using god's name in vain. And since you're saying "oh my god" it isn't very religion specific either.
Old 06-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyskye View Post
Here are my opinions: The phrase is said when something weird or amazing happens, so the person speaking is say "Oh my god" as a way saying " God, you've done something strange or amazing etc....". Of course it is used by each person differently but all in all I see it that way. Also, I honestly don't think it is using god's name in vain. And since you're saying "oh my god" it isn't very religion specific either.
I agree. :) And even though I prefer not to say it because most other Christians frown on it, I actually disagree also that it is really using God's name in vain. On the contrary, I think it actually praises God. Like when you turn a corner and see a great big rainbow, you say, "Oh my God! You never fail to amaze me!" It turns your awe into praise for God ;D

And I understand what everyone else is saying about how words and phrases lose their original meaning. xD That sure does tend to happen a lot. I usually just say "O.M.G", and when saying it aloud, I actually say the letters, O, M, and G. When I say it like that, it doesn't really have any specific meaning other than Wow! or Woah!

Remember when in the video about Seto Kaiba's real father, the conclusion, he says "My God..." and then the delusional robot tells him "There is no God!"
Maybe that was when Seto Kaiba decided to start saying "Oh my money!" instead xD
Old 06-22-2013
Baby Panda

Blurb: Firmly grasp it in your hand

^ Yeah I agree, you make good points. I also think that may be when Seto starts saying "oh my money". :P
Old 06-22-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

I actually thought that Kaiba's statement that he worships money was very revealing and honest. There are a lot of people who don't claim to have a religion but worship different things (like winning, or money, or respect or all kinds of other things).
Old 06-23-2013

When I say god I usually mean Cat. But mostly I just say OMC instead.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
I actually thought that Kaiba's statement that he worships money was very revealing and honest. There are a lot of people who don't claim to have a religion but worship different things (like winning, or money, or respect or all kinds of other things).
Very very true! :3 In my Christian schools, they're always warning us about not just sinning by worshipping statues like in the Old Testament, but about worshipping material things like money, popularity, ourselves, ect.
Old 06-24-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

How can you worship material things? The word worship implies a religious connotation. Unless someone thinks money has divine powers, no one is worshiping it.
Old 06-26-2013

I guess it's just a figure of speech. Like, Kaiba is obsessed with money so much that he worships it as, among Blue Eyes, one of the few things he actually cares about in life.

Like < Love < Adore < Obsess < Worship

And some people might even say that some "otaku"'s/"weeaboo"'s obsess over anime/manga so much that they worship it.
Old 07-03-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
You see, Christians refrain from saying it because of the 4th commandment in the Bible in Exodus in the Ten Commandments, saying that we should not use God's name in vain.
You do realise that is not what the 4th commandment actually means, do you not? The 4th commandment refers solely to using God's name for your own (generally negative) purposes, such as swearing an Oath in the name of God to make it sound sincere, when you in actual truth have no intention of upholding the Oath.

Using God's name as a profanity, no more breaks the 4th commandment than using your dog's name as a profanity.

As for its meaning, it means exactly the same thing as when the Chinese say tian-na (directly translated: oh my heavens), you are using a word which was traditionally emotionally charged to show the shock, surprise or extremeness of a situation. Originally, you probably did this in situations such as soldiers screaming to god before they got their heads blown off by mortar fire, but as time went by - as with all phrases - the meaning got diluted and became usable in less and less extreme situations as the word God became less important and peoples' lives/perspectives changed.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
You do realise that is not what the 4th commandment actually means, do you not? The 4th commandment refers solely to using God's name for your own (generally negative) purposes, such as swearing an Oath in the name of God to make it sound sincere, when you in actual truth have no intention of upholding the Oath.

Using God's name as a profanity, no more breaks the 4th commandment than using your dog's name as a profanity.

As for its meaning, it means exactly the same thing as when the Chinese say tian-na (directly translated: oh my heavens), you are using a word which was traditionally emotionally charged to show the shock, surprise or extremeness of a situation. Originally, you probably did this in situations such as soldiers screaming to god before they got their heads blown off by mortar fire, but as time went by - as with all phrases - the meaning got diluted and became usable in less and less extreme situations as the word God became less important and peoples' lives/perspectives changed.
Yes. That's why I don't think the phrase, "Oh my __d," is actually taking God's name in vain :3
Old 07-05-2013
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

I agree with Shizuka and Fared. [ However, to be a tad off-topic, I do believe that using any form of "negative" language is not something that a follower of Christ should do, because we are to be in the world but not of the world: meaning that we should try to emulate Christ as much as we can rather than adopting the traditions (especially negative ones) of the world around us. ]
Old 07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
I agree with Shizuka and Fared. [ However, to be a tad off-topic, I do believe that using any form of "negative" language is not something that a follower of Christ should do, because we are to be in the world but not of the world: meaning that we should try to emulate Christ as much as we can rather than adopting the traditions (especially negative ones) of the world around us. ]
I definitely agree very much with your spoiler-tagged comment! :D
Old 07-23-2015

It's just a phrase. No deep meaning no matter how hard you want to put one inside...
Old 03-07-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudi View Post
It's just a phrase. No deep meaning no matter how hard you want to put one inside...
That's what she said.
Old 01-31-2024
Lemon Stealing Whore

Well-Drawn Evangelion Yaoi Posted: 4,413
Fucks Given: -1

Dagoth Ur be praised.