This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga

Old 11-04-2013

Default YGO Manga

Do you think it would have been as popular if they showed the anime as how the manga depicted the characters? Like Yami yugi a sadist, kaiba bros as murderous, shadi, anzu etc
...?
Old 11-04-2013

Blurb: Oh no, too many children's card games!

Uh, they did that. Season 0, look it up. And the anime follows the manga pretty accurately. In YuGiOh Duelist (the second manga) the characters are just like they're portrayed in post 0 anime. It's called character development.
Old 11-04-2013

If you look at konomi's ygo you get a very different ygo than from the manga. The first seven volumes are squished into season 1. No death T, no gory penalty games, no test from shadi, etc. The anime Canon gives us a strange kaiba back story, atlantis arc, etc. The anime was only done to sell cards. It hardly followed the manga. The toei version of ygo was extremely unsuccesful and though it was somewhat closer to the manga it altered the story line to much. Kaiba was not murderous, but a strange pest obssessed with card games and yami yugi. Yami imself was altered to be much more forgiving as he only game ppl illusionary penalty games. There is a difference in character as Yami yugi in the manga killed a Guy for taking his place at the fair. Miho was added into the story but she was not significant in the manga. Honda was a love sick nerd over her instead of how he was in the manga and I could go on. The toei anime and konomi's anime are not suppose to be looked at as part 1 and 2 of the same story. Anyone who read the manga would know that. I think you miss understood my question. I wanted to know if ygo would be seen as something other than merchandise promotion of konomi 's card game. Most ppl think of ygo as a 30 minute commercial.
Old 11-04-2013
Baby Panda

Blurb: Firmly grasp it in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuba kaiba! View Post
I wanted to know if ygo would be seen as something other than merchandise promotion of konomi 's card game. Most ppl think of ygo as a 30 minute commercial.
If that's what you want to know, I'd say it can be and is entertaining, despite the marketing aspect of the animes.... You have to keep in mind that everything is a product, even the manga, and the producer wants it to be sold. In relation to the manga, I would say there are things I would have liked to see happen, but it all comes down to a personal preference. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on how the anime should have interpreted the manga.
Old 11-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokuba kaiba! View Post
If you look at konomi's ygo you get a very different ygo than from the manga. The first seven volumes are squished into season 1. No death T, no gory penalty games, no test from shadi, etc. The anime Canon gives us a strange kaiba back story, atlantis arc, etc. The anime was only done to sell cards. It hardly followed the manga. The toei version of ygo was extremely unsuccesful and though it was somewhat closer to the manga it altered the story line to much. Kaiba was not murderous, but a strange pest obssessed with card games and yami yugi. Yami imself was altered to be much more forgiving as he only game ppl illusionary penalty games. There is a difference in character as Yami yugi in the manga killed a Guy for taking his place at the fair. Miho was added into the story but she was not significant in the manga. Honda was a love sick nerd over her instead of how he was in the manga and I could go on. The toei anime and konomi's anime are not suppose to be looked at as part 1 and 2 of the same story. Anyone who read the manga would know that. I think you miss understood my question. I wanted to know if ygo would be seen as something other than merchandise promotion of konomi 's card game. Most ppl think of ygo as a 30 minute commercial.
Again, learn about what you're talking about. What you describe as "the toei anime" is known as season 0. It's essentially the same story, but altered slightly as anime have stricter regulations, especially children's anime, but the characters are pretty much exactly the same.

The second YuGiOh anime was based on the Duelist manga series. While some events from the original manga were added (as this continuity was seperate from season 0, and they were important to the plot), it followed the manga very closely.
Old 11-06-2013

Supermew there is no such thing as season 0. That is a FAN MADE NAME. This conversation has changed into whether or not the anime represented the characters accurately. You may think it did, but it seems as if you agree at least somewhat that the anime didn't. You agree that it was change to suite a younger audience. My question, if you read it, doesn't ask that. It asks if you think yugioh would have been as popular as it is now if it was shown the way that takahashi created the manga. If you didn't read, the toei produced anime did poorly. The later anime was obviously more successful. My question asked what if audiences first saw an anime that was not watered down so that children the age of 7 could see it.
Old 11-06-2013

Well, your initial question was about the characters. And Season 0 is the accepted way of referring to the anime among the YuGiOh fanbase.

Honestly, I don't know if a straight anime adaption of the original manga would do well. Fact is, it's too graphic/disturbing to be a kid's show, but the heavy focus on the theme of friendship would likely prevent it from being taken seriously. It's overall good quality might have it gather a following in Japan, but it's lack of a clear and recognised demographic would mean it probably wouldn't get released in the west. The Duelist manga however is much more marketable as a young shonen series, which is why That version of the anime did so well.

And even though Duelist was based on Duel Monsters, it wasn't an advert for the card game, the game just provided a focus for a running plot, rather than the ever changing and episodic original series.