This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Technical

Old 12-18-2008

If it's just for CAD + photoshop a RAM upgrade should suffice.
Old 12-18-2008
Administrator

Quote:
You do not have Linux "installed" on your DS or Wii
My awesome homebrew apps that each are running off of Linux for both systems say otherwise!
Quote:
Linux is for obnoxious bigots who enjoy compiling more than actually using their computer.
Woah woah woah there...
You'd be surprised how much shit Linux can run...
And besides, I don't have to wait around for 7 years for its bugs to be patched only to create more bugs so that I have to buy the next version like Windows does. I get bug fixes as they are fixed!
Old 12-18-2008

I don't know what these "bugs" are. I presume they're just hardware shortfalls.
Old 12-23-2008

I use openSUSE on my main box (I usually use Kubuntu, but the KDE4 implementation was bullshit in 8.04, and I couldn't be bothered to get 8.10, because I'm getting a new computer at Christmas), and Puppy Linux on my old, decrepid laptop which revitalised it. Also, JWM and Rox are extremely feature-packed.
Old 12-23-2008

I know these were directed to another person, but...
Quote:
You do not have Linux "installed" on your DS or Wii.
That is sort of true. However, I do have the Wii Linux distro that I am making installed onto an SD card, which is permanently inserted into my Wii, therefore, I have it installed on my Wii. If you had Windows on your PC, someone wouldn't come up to you and say "excuse me, but you don't have Windows installed on your PC, since someone could remove the hard drive at any time and you would no longer have Windows installed". The same sort of thing goes for DS, I used to have a DS that could run homebrew (I don't any more, but meh), and that involves putting it on a CF or SD card.
Quote:
Linux is for obnoxious bigots who enjoy compiling more than actually using their computer.
When making my distro, I compiled a grand total of 3 apps. One of them was a 20-line .c file. The other two were easy and painless to compile. All of the rest are all precompiled .deb packages.
Old 12-24-2008

Yeah, but you need an operating system, primarily windows to run. Linux for DS or Wii is just homebrew, which are only needed for doing naughty things. I got a R4 and EZ Flash 3in1 for my DS.
Old 12-24-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Linux for DS or Wii is just homebrew, which are only needed for doing naughty things
Actually there is a TON of homebrew games and things out there that are perfectly legal, so no, its not for just doing naughty things...

Ever hear of Sonic Robo Blast 2? Being ported to Linux Wii.

Also R4 is horrible, CycloDS Evolution is the way to go for DS homebrew cards.
Old 12-25-2008

I don't play my DS at all. R4 were the best when I last played.

I play Pokémon games on my DMG-01.
Old 01-06-2009

I'm not currently running a Linux, however sometime this week I'll finally be installing Xubuntu (Ibex, which is the most recent stable version) and it sounds great. I've wanted to change to some sort of Linux for a while due to windows being extremely laggy, resource hogging and just plain low-quality. A friend of mine from a few forums was the person who recommended Xubuntu, he's been running several different Linux machines in the past, and he first installed a Linux OS not long after he turned ten, so he has a lot of experience with them. All I need to do is burn the ISO then run it then I'm off to go with it.
Old 01-15-2009

im thinking about trying it, does anyone know what version of linux is best for multimedia? like vidoes, games, etc.?
Old 01-17-2009

Blurb: ZOMGLOLWTFBBQ

Quote:
im thinking about trying it, does anyone know what version of linux is best for multimedia? like vidoes, games, etc.?
LINUX IS NOT FOR GAMES.
Old 01-18-2009

Blurb: That guy. Yup, the one you always see.
Send a message via AIM to Fisk Send a message via MSN to Fisk

Out of sheer curiosity, what're the odds of a tri-boot system even sustaining itself?

Part.1: Win XP
Part.2: Xubuntu
Part.3: MacOsX (Intel SS3 based)
Old 01-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
Out of sheer curiosity, what're the odds of a tri-boot system even sustaining itself?

Part.1: Win XP
Part.2: Xubuntu
Part.3: MacOsX (Intel SS3 based)
100%?
Old 01-19-2009

Blurb: That guy. Yup, the one you always see.
Send a message via AIM to Fisk Send a message via MSN to Fisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlolita View Post
100%?

That's what I wanted to hear :D Plus, after HOURS of reading, the process is all set and ready to go... after my test-box in the basement is done reflashing it's ancient ass bios -.-

Oh well, free parts is free, can't complain about that ^^
Old 01-29-2009

I know that it's been a week since this thread was last posted in, but I'd like to say that during the early stages of this month I finally got around to installing Xubuntu and I'm loving it so far. I've always liked to use open-source software, and I'd like to look over it's source code, just like I did with Firefox. I rarely understand too much of it; but it's always good to know more about what you're running. One of the best things about it is that I can still run my Windows programs, like Flash and Newgrounds Portal Guard, on it through Wine. I love it so far, and I'm sure that I'll keep on loving how it runs for quite a while at least.
Old 02-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroze View Post
Ever hear of Sonic Robo Blast 2? Being ported to Linux Wii.
We're on a funny legal area though, we're not entirely legal. =P

Ubuntu for desktop, Debian for servers (CentOS if I need cPanel), Xandros for EeePC. All Debian derived.

sudo apt-get install life
Old 02-03-2009
General Staff

Send a message via AIM to Omega

Linux sucks and so does this thread.
Old 02-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Enjoy your large library of viruses and resource hogging operating systems.
Old 02-05-2009
General Staff

Send a message via AIM to Omega

Enjoy your mainstream application suppo- OH WAIT LOL

also command prompts for god damned everything
Old 02-06-2009

I love using the terminal for everything, personally, I try to use the keyboard as much as possible, therefore speeding up my work as I rarely have to use the mouse. A GUI means I need to use the mouse, a terminal requires a keyboard and nothing more. Apt-get is by far superior to InstallShield and the likes.
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
All I use linux for is internet.
Old 04-02-2009

i switched from windows to gos linux. best switch ever
Old 04-24-2009

Linux fixed an old laptop for me, it works and will continue to work until my mom and sister are done slowly murdering it.

ALSO, ADVERTISING, ADVERTISING, ADVERTISING!

http://forum.yugiohtheabridgedseries...php?groupid=75
Old 01-20-2010

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

anyone know any DVD burners for linux
I wanna put a bunch of my anime's on DVD
Old 03-20-2010

Blurb: I'm having an adequate time.

I run OSX because I'm a man.
Old 03-21-2010

Linux is awesome, but it's not for noobs. I dual-boot openSUSE and Windows 7. Windows 7 is for gaming and doing my VHDL homework. Linux is for everything else. I made the switch a couple months ago and I'm really pleased. Sure, it's a little harder to set up but I don't have to worry about security / slow downs due to spyware, viruses, etc.

Plus, this is just really cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBuNSIWkJ4&

Let's see your Windows do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
anyone know any DVD burners for linux
I wanna put a bunch of my anime's on DVD
Try out Brasero. It came with my Linux distro and it's served me well so far.

Last edited by David Bowie; 03-21-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bowie View Post
Linux is awesome, but it's not for noobs. I dual-boot openSUSE and Windows 7. Windows 7 is for gaming and doing my VHDL homework. Linux is for everything else. I made the switch a couple months ago and I'm really pleased. Sure, it's a little harder to set up but I don't have to worry about security / slow downs due to spyware, viruses, etc.

Plus, this is just really cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBuNSIWkJ4&

Let's see your Windows do that.

Try out Brasero. It came with my Linux distro and it's served me well so far.
I don't think that linux is difficult at all- especially with distros such as Ubuntu which make it so easy to install programs (way easier then windows), since Ubuntu has the built in Software centre with access to a multitude of program, and also the package manager for more specific stuff. Also, I heard a rumour that Steam is coming to linux (it was just ported to mac, and both mac and linux are unix-like operating systems, and use OpenGL, which makes the linux port wayy easier to do) so some decent games should be coming to linux, and even now, it has some fun fps'.
Old 03-23-2010

Well, I consider Linux to be non-noob friendly because, if you to install something outside of the software centre usually it's a lot harder to do compared to a Windows install (in the case that there isn't a .rpm file).

It also seems like less works right away. I had a lot more trouble getting dual monitors working on Linux whereas in Windows 7 it recognized them right away. I also had issues getting sound to work at first. It just seems to me, (and maybe I encountered more problems then most) that Linux is a little harder to get up and running, and would frustrate a user that was less computer savvy than I am.
Old 04-11-2010

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bowie View Post
Well, I consider Linux to be non-noob friendly because, if you to install something outside of the software centre usually it's a lot harder to do compared to a Windows install (in the case that there isn't a .rpm file).

It also seems like less works right away. I had a lot more trouble getting dual monitors working on Linux whereas in Windows 7 it recognized them right away. I also had issues getting sound to work at first. It just seems to me, (and maybe I encountered more problems then most) that Linux is a little harder to get up and running, and would frustrate a user that was less computer savvy than I am.
I think it depends on the user perspective. General users want OOB. It doesn't matter what it is. Ever see them freak their .... when a BSOD drops? Meh. Went through enough Help Desk Hell years ago on those. Even Windows can be a pain to deal with on installs of certain software. Try installing ClearCase (shudder) and tell me if you have a good time with it. Seriously, the *nix versions are way easier for me to install and use at work.

My kid uses Debian for his laptop right now. And he's an early elementary student. He has no problems with it at all and can even do command-line tasks. It does exactly what he wants. You can't get noobier than little kids and computers. If he can install and function in a Linux environment, it's not that difficult. He actually has tried to get the teacher at school to put Linux on the machines.

It just comes down to personal frustration level and limit, I personally think. In terms of some of the problems you've described, it also depends on the availability of the hardware 'drivers'. Some are forcibly reversed engineered to get working Linux ones thanks to a closed off world. The ones that have native Linux ones have rarely given me a major issue.
Old 05-02-2010

I run Ubuntu 10 along with Windows 7, but I must admit, I really only installed it for my operating systems programming class. I prefer Windows 7 mostly because all the software I'd like to run (ONE exception: mythtv) is available for windows, and not all of it is available for other systems. Also, I've never had these issues people complain about like spyware, bugs, performance, etc with any versions since winXP. Even Vista worked perfectly for me. I'll admit ME was the biggest POS to ever disgrace planet Earth, though.

That being said, I have plenty of love for Linux. It's awesome. I just think that Windows is also pretty awesome. (MacOS too)

PS: I saw that you had VHDL homework, David Bowie. Comp E. or E.E.? I'm Comp. E. myself. :D
Also, I had the exact same problem w/ dual monitors on Linux, lol. Man, that was annoying.

Last edited by Shyn; 05-02-2010 at 07:30 PM.