This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2009

Most of them have magical powers and have to save the world where cross-species breeding is a-okay. Aang, the hero, was trapped in an iceberg for 100 years and now would like to screw Katara. [ The series ends with the help of a giant lion turtle island. plus, they don't have cell phones. ] I think we crossed the 'relating to them' line long, long ago. Besides, USA and Canada are ethnically diverse, there's plenty of other races besides white. It's not for white people, it's for people that like Avatar, which didn't really target a specific ethnic group, except maybe Asians.
Old 01-13-2009

Blurb: I came here to laugh at you.

I'm just saying. We don't know for sure why he did it.
Old 01-14-2009

Blurb: iRant...

Well, that makes some sense I guess. Only like 4.4% of Americans are Asian. But I for one think it's silly that an audience is suppose to racially relate to a group of super powered tweens to begin with. The concept of it all is just off .
Old 01-15-2009

Exactly, and that aside, they were asian in the cartoons and they were still great.
Old 01-15-2009

I quite agree! Tell that to Douglas Aibel (head of casting for TLA). Either he's never seen an Avatar episode, or is legally blind. I thought that the Asian ethnicity in the cartoon was pretty clear (Names like Aang, Zuko, Iroh, Ty Lee, Mai, and Ozai? All the female charecters at one time or another wearing a Honbok or Cheongsam? Everyone having slanted, anime eyes? And what about the Chinese characters in the main title? ) Call me crazy, but Asian was the impression I got every single time I watched Avatar, and I (a white American of German decent) absolutely loved it! Douglas Aibel and M. Night Shyamalan
can both kiss my wanna-be Asian a**!
Old 01-17-2009

THERE'S A MOVIE!? OMFG THATS A SIGN OF THE APOCOLYSE!!!!!! O.O
Old 01-18-2009

Post Woah.

Woah. The fact that you didn't know that is hilarious. I take it you don't post on this forum too much, as that's been the basic topic of discussion for like the past two months...
Old 01-18-2009
Stephen

Blurb: Oh, no, no, no. I'm a rocket man!
Marshmallow

lol, I'll watch the movie, no matter what (as long as I have popcorn with me) :)
Old 01-19-2009

Post I'm not going to see the movie

I'm not going to see the movie unless they do a major re-cast. I'm in love with every aspect of the series, including ethnicity and race of the charecters.
Old 01-19-2009

Send a message via AIM to Umbreon

I hope the movie doesn't get ruined.
Old 01-19-2009

Send a message via MSN to wokwoktheskydragon Send a message via Yahoo to wokwoktheskydragon

Yeah, I really miss this show... It was like the last TV show I ever watched regularly.
Old 01-25-2009

Unhappy

It was really the only cartoon I watched. I've wanted a live action version of Avatar since it came out on TV, but not one as suck ass as M.Night's flick is going to be.
Old 01-25-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

anyone watched the abridged vision of this, its not bad, though has stole few LK jokes
Old 01-30-2009
Destroyer of TV Tropes, Liberator of the Masses

Blurb: Hop into Gamertoads over on youtube
Hitsugaya

HOLY SHI- ok I missed most the episodes of book three and I just watched a Marathon and Avatar Roku is Zuko's great-grandfather o.O
Old 01-31-2009

Blurb: I may be lazy, but that only serves to protect humanity from me.
Send a message via AIM to Cocyta Send a message via Yahoo to Cocyta

How could someone make a live-action Avatar movie that doesn't suck? It was great as an animated series, but translating elemental bending to "realistic" special effects will be a nightmare... I doubt that the CGI will look believable.

::sighs::
Old 01-31-2009
Destroyer of TV Tropes, Liberator of the Masses

Blurb: Hop into Gamertoads over on youtube
Hitsugaya

Live action Avatar movie...WTF WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!!
Old 01-31-2009

Blurb: I came here to laugh at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
We've talked about this for months now.
Old 01-31-2009

Blurb: I may be lazy, but that only serves to protect humanity from me.
Send a message via AIM to Cocyta Send a message via Yahoo to Cocyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
I only heard about this recently myself, through another web site... but yeah, this is totally a WTF moment. >.<;

Quote:
Originally Posted by feel4yogurt View Post
Most of them have magical powers and have to save the world where cross-species breeding is a-okay. Aang, the hero, was trapped in an iceberg for 100 years and now would like to screw Katara.
That's not cross-species breeding, that's biracial breeding.
Old 02-07-2009

Well, the newest Abridged is out. Frankly I would have rather had GanXingba burn through another filler than do a plug and an AMV. But I will give him credit for having a plot twist in an abridged episode.
Old 02-07-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

I like GanXingba's abridge of this, I mean it is not an easy thing to abridge
Old 02-08-2009

Yeah, he does it well. He just as good as any other abridger out there and one of the best who incorporates the plot more.
Old 06-23-2009

Y'know, call me crazy, but this might actually be good.
Old 06-23-2009

Send a message via MSN to xellos88

It'll look good, but M. Night will ruin the story
Old 06-24-2009

Well, I'm gonna try to stay negative. Not hateful, but negative, or at least indifferent. From experience its the best way. If it isn't too good, nothing lost. If it shines down on all of us like the Epic Adventure it SHOULD be, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm still kinda chuffed at the lack of Asian cast, but I'm willing to let that be a bygone.
That being said, I was searching youtube a few minutes ago and found this old interview. Its made me kinda hopeful.
M. Night Shamaleon Interview with the creators of Avatar
They seem quite chummy, which is just a good sign to me.
Old 06-25-2009

The Golden Compass made me wary with creators being happy about their work being turned into movies.

I have to admit, I'm kinda worried that the movie will do decently, and then the story will be forever remembered for the movie and not the show.
Old 06-26-2009

that's a pointless thought. The majority of people who enjoy the movie will not have seen the show, and that is counting every Avatar fan that goes to see it. So the people outside the show will remember the franchise in general or not at all.
Old 07-13-2009

Blurb: Honey Badger don't give a shit.

I am a bit worried about a live-action movie. Some people I know say that their powers won't look believable or as great as it did on the TV series. I am curious about how good it really is but still. Hopefully it's pretty damn good!
Old 07-13-2009

Blurb: Trvest of the Trv, Kvltest of the Kvlt

I loved Avatar! Did anybody here that there making a new series?
Old 07-13-2009

Blurb: If I save time, when do I get it back?

If they continues the series that would be eggcelent.
Old 08-28-2009

It saddens me to say that my epic fail-o-meter went off the charts after seeing the trailer for this movie. I was (and still am) a devote fan of the animated series, and personally think that this movie will bomb in three ways.

Direction: M. Night Shyamalan has directed nine films, all of which have gone down in ratings the order in which they were released to the general public.

Cast: The show features a variety of ethnicities and races, including Inuit, Tibetan, Korean, Thai, Chinese, as well as a one-episode-lived Indian character. The movie version features a main cast made entirely of Caucasian actors, with the exception of Dev Patel (Prince Zuko), who is an English born Indian. The fact of the matter is, the ethnicities in the film don't follow the ethnicities shows, which are (arguably) as follows: Aang is Tibetan, Sokka and Katara are Inuit, Zuko is Thai. As small as the matter of ethnicity and race is in today’s society, this will be a turn off to many fans of the show who feel the casting for this show was racist.

Portrayal of Fire Nation: To border along with the racism queue above, the cast of actors portraying the infamous “Fire Nation” all appear to look of Middle-Eastern decent, with the exception of Dev Patel. Many feel that this movie will ultimately portray the villains as “Muslim Tyrants”, although in the animated show, the Fire Nation have no tie to any religion at all, and appear the lightest skinned of all the Nomads, Kingdoms, Tribes, and Nations. In recent Cinematography, the villains of action-adventure films have predominantly been middle-eastern, dating back to the start of the war in Iraq. Although again this may seem a rather small thing to scrutinize, unfortunately it will turn a large majority of movie goers away from this film, especially those committed to the end of the war in the Middle East that rages on today.

I am saddened by what I say above, but feel it must be said all the same. I have wanted to see “Avatar” hit the silver screen since the end of the first season. However, this new film is not how I pictured it at all. I know for a fact that there are many who will agree with me when I say that to see this movie in theaters would be an insult to the show’s creators, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, who I for one hold in high regard.