This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions

Old 07-23-2013
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post
But that is exactly the problem:
you are happy, but only by having slaves.
lol What slaves? If someone's held back from being economically prosperous, more than likely they've done it to themselves. Not everyone can be successful. That's just the way life goes. If you can't get over that fact, then you'll never be happy.
Old 07-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonWalker View Post
lol What slaves? If someone's held back from being economically prosperous, more than likely they've done it to themselves. Not everyone can be successful. That's just the way life goes. If you can't get over that fact, then you'll never be happy.
you seriously ask "what slaves"? If I'd call you stupid, it wouldn't be an insult but being nice to you.
Old 07-23-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_of_poverty
Old 07-23-2013

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

Slaves are not victims, they are heroes. To not honor them as heroes is the true evil of our time.

Black history month is racist in that it's basically the history of former slaves but doesn't include every slave historically, yet wanting to change it to slave history month would be racist because blacks would think I'd be calling them slaves.

Last edited by HolyShadow; 07-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2013
Rides Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
Those aren't slaves. At least in American society, no one's forcing them to stay stuck in their economic class besides themselves. For example my dad grew up poor white trash up north, still went to college, and ended up marrying a woman with a Harvard degree. Sure, it's not easy improving your own life, but it can be done and the gov't more times than not just gets in the way of progress.
Old 07-23-2013
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Those aren't slaves. At least in American society, no one's forcing them to stay stuck in their economic class besides themselves. For example my dad grew up poor white trash up north, still went to college, and ended up marrying a woman with a Harvard degree. Sure, it's not easy improving your own life, but it can be done and the gov't more times than not just gets in the way of progress.
Yesterday, a new royal was born, I am sure he will die penniless, living in a slum in Africa because clearly your one anecdote proves all social science wrong.

Let me guess, your mum was a peasant, too, before she went to Harvard?

I mean seriously, can you actually say that someone whose parents are shop-assistants has the same chances in life as someone whose parents are lawyers? Can you really say that? If you do, then you are either dumber than I thought, or your trolling is just getting sad.
Old 07-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Yesterday, a new royal was born, I am sure he will die penniless, living in a slum in Africa because clearly your one anecdote proves all social science wrong.

Let me guess, your mum was a peasant, too, before she went to Harvard?

I mean seriously, can you actually say that someone whose parents are shop-assistants has the same chances in life as someone whose parents are lawyers? Can you really say that? If you do, then you are either dumber than I thought, or your trolling is just getting sad.
My dad went from refugee from cuba to middle-class. His brother went from the same situation to being able to easily buy a two story house with a pool in a great neighborhood, send both of his kids to high-class colleges, and buy them both higher-end cars as graduation gifts and still have immense amounts of money in the bank.

If it's the international economy you're right, Fared, but if it's within one's own country, yeah, you can, if you're somewhat lucky and work hard enough (and don't spend all your money on frivolous bullshit), move from a shitty life to being very rich. What you give up for that is another story though.
Old 07-23-2013
Rides Kaiba

Fared is too English apparently to understand this concept of moving through the classes. -eye roll-

Actually, my stepmom grew up in Detroit, which is incredibly ghetto compared to even most American cities when it comes to crime and lack of funding for education, and somehow managed to get into both Harvard and the University of Michigan because of will power. Sure, she's also very intelligent, but it was mostly the fact that she worked her ass off in school that allowed her to get into an Ivy league college despite the fact that neither of her parents had a great amount of education or money.

Now she makes almost six figures working for U of M. According to your logic, Fared, that shouldn't be happening.

And in contrast, there are plenty of rich American families whose parents won't give their children the money they have earned. Being born into wealth here doesn't mean too much if you can't get through school and people don't always inherit shit from their folks either. Being born middle class doesn't mean you'll die middle class, and people go bankrupt from bad financial decisions all the time.

My aunt comes from poor white trash as well. Because of her company, she's worth over a few million dollars from her business and estate.

Class here is fluid, just as it should be.

We don't have peasants in the US. ;)

I have over ten thousand in savings right now. Sure as hell didn't come from my parents, and I don't even have college payments to make nor will I ever once I'm done with my enlistment. People make their own successes and failures, at least in the United States, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by AllisonWalker; 07-23-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2013

in capitalism, the goal is to become richer and richer. that is an unachievable goal, because the greed never ends.
Old 07-23-2013
Rides Kaiba

Quote:
in capitalism, the goal is to become richer and richer. that is an unachievable goal, because the greed never ends.
No, it's not. The goal is for the individual to make their own fortune and the market to mainly govern itself. It's not based off of greed but choice and personal responsibility. Most people don't even want to be rich. They just want to be comfortable.
Old 07-23-2013

Quote:
No, it's not. The goal is for the individual to make their own fortune and the market to mainly govern itself. It's not based off of greed but choice and personal responsibility. Most people don't even want to be rich. They just want to be comfortable.
that might be correct for people, but not for companies.
Old 07-23-2013

Quote:
And yet they employ more and more people and spread to make more lives comfortable. I agree that there should be an increase in the minimum wage if that would actually raise the minimum standard of living, but it kind of won't because of the concept of supply and demand.

I will admit I get extraordinarily frustrated when I see goods that break immediately after the warranty ends as if that's what's meant to happen, goods that I know cost a certain amount in raw cost with the cost of everyone involved worked in somehow sell for triple what it's actually worth, or companies that demand experience for entry-level positions. It's not fair for every grocery store out there to have "Experience needed" plastered all over the place. Minimum-wage work is definitely needed to get that experience and when minimum wage work requires experience to get experience it feels impossible. I will also admit that in order for food to be cheap there needs to be workers that work in that industry that get paid almost nothing for their efforts, and they could be considered akin to slavery.

However, there are unseen benefits toward capitalism. The idea that you work for a reward and that reward is potentially unlimited is a beautiful idea. Furthermore the idea that nobody will regulate your ability to experience that reward is far more beautiful. Right now, you yourself are benefiting from this concept. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is something you are not practicing or you wouldn't be on a website dedicated to making fun of childrens' card games. That's excess. That's greed. That's good in small amounts.

I think you're so filled with hate toward capitalism that it clouds your judgment. Look at the good and look at the bad of both systems, the means, the ends, and the process involved in producing all of these things. Don't just weigh one system in its totality against the other; mix and match things to create an even better system than what Karl Marx could possibly dream up living in his parents' basement and exploiting his worker maid with his penis.
Old 07-23-2013
Rides Kaiba

Quote:
that might be correct for people, but not for companies.
Companies don't operate themselves.
Old 07-24-2013
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

You know I had a random thought.

I realized that if you were given a really expensive present from somewhere. Like a car or something from a gameshow or /really/ generous talkshow host. (coughOprahorsomebodycough)
In the US, you'd have to claim that prize on your yearly Tax form and pay taxes on that present. It is possible, in the US, to get a Tax deduction for a large charitable donation.

So my random question and thought. If you were to be given a Car or something really expensive from a game show or talk show and /donated/ that car to a charitable organization, would the gift tax and charitable deduction cancel each other out? I'm not an accountant, but I'm assuming you would have to claim both acts on your tax form.

So thoughts, opinions, do we have any CPAs on the forums that can answer this question?

The IRS can be real bastards about Tax Discrepancies and this is the Tax thread... so go.
Old 07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
You know I had a random thought.

I realized that if you were given a really expensive present from somewhere. Like a car or something from a gameshow or /really/ generous talkshow host. (coughOprahorsomebodycough)
In the US, you'd have to claim that prize on your yearly Tax form and pay taxes on that present. It is possible, in the US, to get a Tax deduction for a large charitable donation.

So my random question and thought. If you were to be given a Car or something really expensive from a game show or talk show and /donated/ that car to a charitable organization, would the gift tax and charitable deduction cancel each other out? I'm not an accountant, but I'm assuming you would have to claim both acts on your tax form.

So thoughts, opinions, do we have any CPAs on the forums that can answer this question?

The IRS can be real bastards about Tax Discrepancies and this is the Tax thread... so go.
You'd need to define the situation a bit more to give an absolute answer, but in almost all cases you'd deal with that involve giving things to charity, yes, they are completely deductible and would cancel each other out or better, from the taxpayer's point of view. It's one reason why charitable deductions are as popular as they are.

Last edited by Zairak; 07-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2013
Closet Trekkie

How do I define it clearer?

Oprah gives her audience $100K automobiles, Joe Schmoe was in the audience, was given a car, turns around and immediately donates that $100K vehicle that he got from Oprah to Kids with Cancer charitable organization. Is it a wash on his tax form in terms the tax deduction canceling out the gift tax?

(The random shit my brain comes up with when it's tired.)
Old 07-24-2013
Chumba Wumba

In simple terms, if the car comes to him as a gift and meets the criteria to be taxable, then the car will be taxed as normal; however, should he then pass the car on as a charitable gift, the taxable amount at the time he makes the charitable gift will be deducted from the taxable amount at the time he won the car.

Normally, gifts like this are taxed upon bestowal, so it will probably be that you get a tax refund for the amount deducted, as opposed to a straight cancelling out. This will generally be worked out at the end of the tax year and make up only one part of their overall tax calculations for the amount you should be refunded for that year or in certain cases, the amount you still owe.
Old 07-24-2013
Closet Trekkie

[ Can I just go off topic for a second and say, holy crap, who would have thunk an actual tax question in a thread about taxes? I'm almost a little impressed my screwy little brain came up with something like that. ]

Anyways... yeah, it's an interesting scenario and random thought just for the thread.
Simple curiosity thing, nothing more.
I wanted to know, about a really weird and unique situation.

I was implying, by the scenario that Joe Schmoe donated the vehicle the same day it was bestowed upon him. If that helps matters.
Old 07-24-2013
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
[ Can I just go off topic for a second and say, holy crap, who would have thunk an actual tax question in a thread about taxes? I'm almost a little impressed my screwy little brain came up with something like that. ]

Anyways... yeah, it's an interesting scenario and random thought just for the thread.
Simple curiosity thing, nothing more.
I wanted to know, about a really weird and unique situation.

I was implying, by the scenario that Joe Schmoe donated the vehicle the same day it was bestowed upon him. If that helps matters.
It would change the specifics, but not the process - remember, cars deprecate in value the second they leave the garage (place they were sold first-hand).

Even if it never actually moved during the process, the fact he is selling it second-hand means it now has a different value and, as such, its taxable amount is different.