This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009

I'm in my last year of Secondary school. At this point, We don't really learn anything. We just put what we have learnt to practice. Homework is therefore futile at my level, but we have so much coursework and revision to do, it might as well be homework. True enough, teachers tend to stop giving homework or at least give it less towards the end and I think it's fairly important.
But in lower years, or even higher where you start learning new things, it is important that you carry it on after school/college/whatever. They could perhaps give a little less homework as it is our free time, but I think homework is important nonetheless.
Old 04-18-2009

Here's somewhat my idea of a balanced day

8 hours of fun
8 hours of work
8 hours of rest

we do about 8 hours of work in school. Homework could upset this balance, and I don't think one would be happy about that... except if the person liked to work more, that's understandable.

I would rather voluntarily do homework than make it mandatory.

Maybe just me.
Old 04-18-2009

I agree with homework to an extent, but when it gets to the point that all it's doing is putting endless stress on the student, it needs to be cut back a little.
And I disagree strongly with receiving punishment for not completing it (I know, discipline, blah, it's still crap).
Old 04-18-2009
Banned

Blurb: Row row fight the power!

You know what's cool? Not being in school. Not being in school means no homework. WHICH IS AWESOME!
Old 04-25-2009

Blurb: If I save time, when do I get it back?

Homework is needed to keep information constantly in your brain and to keep your brain constantly working. It gets breaks from time to time but the more you read or focus on something the better retained it is inside your head.

Unless you have a photographic mind then your one of the lucky ones.
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post
Homework should be given to people who need it, not to people who can pass tests with absolutely no trouble whatsoever.

Personally, I do homework about 20% of the time. I pass every single test and quiz, and do so perfectly. I do every bit of work in class and do perfectly in that. I do experiments and help massively. I never study.

Yet I'm losing compared to people who are obviously struggling and do that homework because they have to. See the problem here?
that is the exact same as me. I agree 100%
Old 05-11-2009
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelw7 View Post
that is the exact same as me. I agree 100%
This site is a hang out for people like this. I'd like to know what draws people of this type to the Abridged Series or to just anime in general.
Old 05-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
This site is a hang out for people like this. I'd like to know what draws people of this type to the Abridged Series or to just anime in general.
Well for one, Anime is just awesome, two, my brother told me about this series one day and I watched the episodes and loved it.
but back to the homework thing, I believe handing out homework on the weekend is just plain unfair. I mean, we're working our but off 5 (mabye more or less depending on the school.) days a week already so we should be able to sit back and relax for a couple days once in a while. Now, if a person failed to finish an assignment during the week then since they were probobaly goofing off homework over the weekend would be fair to give to that person. However giving an assignment to work on during the weekend for the whole class I think is pushing it.
Old 05-11-2009
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

How long do most of you spend doing homework? I've been out of school for a few years, but I don't remember having much homework at all, let alone an assignment that took longer than 20 minutes to complete. Aside from the occasional essay or term paper, time spent doing homework was pretty negligible.
Old 05-11-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Well for one, Anime is just awesome, two, my brother told me about this series one day and I watched the episodes and loved it.
but back to the homework thing, I believe handing out homework on the weekend is just plain unfair. I mean, we're working our but off 5 (mabye more or less depending on the school.) days a week already so we should be able to sit back and relax for a couple days once in a while. Now, if a person failed to finish an assignment during the week then since they were probobaly goofing off homework over the weekend would be fair to give to that person. However giving an assignment to work on during the weekend for the whole class I think is pushing it.
Arrrr, you poor soul, I bet the poeple in third world countries who work full time jobs from age of 12 to day they drop really feel for you:-

My, sister worked two jobs and did a Uni course at same time, having about 3-4 hours sleep a night, it called life deal with it

Seriously some of you are talking like we get a hard deal, we're bloody lucky and need to remember that, and this homework isn't just about teaching you the info mate, it is about teaching you to look after yourself,

-Self learning
-Time management
....etc and with your work ethic mate, even if you are as smart as you say you are, you won't get far, as life is hard at times, instead of moaning about it, think about how your still lucky and then do what can to deal with it problem (sometimes that takes effort)
Old 05-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
How long do most of you spend doing homework? I've been out of school for a few years, but I don't remember having much homework at all, let alone an assignment that took longer than 20 minutes to complete. Aside from the occasional essay or term paper, time spent doing homework was pretty negligible.
Uggh...*thinks* I honestly don't know beacause some weeks I finish all my assignments during class and barely have any and some weeks i'm geting piled on with a bunch of homework from all of my classes and staying up past midnight doing all of it.
Old 05-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Arrrr, you poor soul, I bet the poeple in third world countries who work full time jobs from age of 12 to day they drop really feel for you:-

My, sister worked two jobs and did a Uni course at same time, having about 3-4 hours sleep a night, it called life deal with it

Seriously some of you are talking like we get a hard deal, we're bloody lucky and need to remember that, and this homework isn't just about teaching you the info mate, it is about teaching you to look after yourself,

-Self learning
-Time management
....etc and with your work ethic mate, even if you are as smart as you say you are, you won't get far, as life is hard at times, instead of moaning about it, think about how your still lucky and then do what can to deal with it problem (sometimes that takes effort)
What am i not allowed to state my opinion?

Last edited by jelw7; 05-12-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2009

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

Quote:
What am i not allowed to state my opinion? anyway i'm only 11 so lay off.
>:V UNDERAGE
Old 05-12-2009

Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post

-Self learning
-Time management
i know exactly what you mean also if your eleven then fat1fared will rape you in your sleep he did it to me a few years back and he never stopped
Old 05-12-2009
Leo'sAss++

Location: The men in white say the pills make me sane. (also in Ohio)
Blurb: *jumps from plane without parachute* VODKAAAAAA~
Send a message via MSN to Danni I. Sullivan

I don't like homework, but I believe we should do it.
Especially seeing all the idiots in my class that have probably never touched a pencil in their lives.
-_-"
If we don't know how to do it without some one showing us every step, we're going to have a hard life.
The only homework I don't understand doing is book reports.
Old 05-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlicious View Post
i know exactly what you mean also if your eleven then fat1fared will rape you in your sleep he did it to me a few years back and he never stopped
...WTF?
Old 05-17-2009

Blurb: "Quit saving the world and get a hobby!"
Lightbulb

In our school, we are supposed to be given a minimum of half an hour of homework for each subject per week. I don't think this is nessecary.

Completion homework is fine, sometimes you just can't finish an essay/project in classtime.

Before tests, we are usually given sheets of sample questions and summaries, and it's our own choice whether we do it or not. I like this idea, because it's a good set-up for college/uni and means taking some responsibility, rather being forced into assignments and having your name logged if you don't do them. In my Graphic Communication class we have an interesting system. If you don't hand in three homeworks, you won't recieve any more during the course of the year. Of course some people just go "Woot, no homework!" but I suppose it gets them out of practise.

I think pupils who are obviously struggling in class should be given more homework to help them get up to speed. However, we work seven hours five days a week, and for people with busy home lives, people attending a lot of clubs, people working, and people with sleep deprivation half an hour of homework per class each week is pushing it. We need free time to keep us sane. And beauty sleep. Social lives are important too.

Wow, I had more to say about that than I thought I did.
Old 05-17-2009

I think homework is in theory an excellent idea. Not only does it give the teachers an idea of how well you are doing in class it helps the student know whether or not they are struggling with a certain aspect of the course. Like here in Wales we're meant to do an average of 2 hours work a night (sadists see) . But it's getting the ones that don't work to do it that is the problem.

In theory though can't fault it.